Start by marking “Consuelo” as Want to Read:
Consuelo

Consuelo

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  985 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A novel of musical life set in the 18th century. The story of Consuelo, a Gypsy singer, and her adventures in Venice, Austria and Bohemia, narrated by the most eminent of French female writers. Sand was a prolific (nearly 60 novels) writer who shocked Paris with her own sexual escapades, but in her writing dealt with the serious issues of her time and was identified with t ...more
Published November 1st 2004 by Fredonia Books (NL) (first published 1842)

To ask other readers questions about Consuelo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Consuelo

Les Misérables by Victor HugoWar and Peace by Leo TolstoyAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoyDon Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes SaavedraUlysses by James Joyce
The Great Classics You Have Not Read Yet
327th out of 514 books — 1,284 voters
Othello by William ShakespeareThe Merchant of Venice by William ShakespeareVenetian Love Knots by Normandie AllemanDeath in Venice and Other Tales by Thomas MannIn the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant
Books Set in Venice
71st out of 225 books — 154 voters

More lists with this book...

Just arrived from France through BM.

This book starts as a "nouvelle venitienne" where Consuelo is good to singing. After that, the author changes the scenery to a castle in Boheme, then to Vienna (at the relevant time when Haydn debuted) and then to Berlin under the reign of Frederic.

This huge book was written as a serial book and sometimes we loose track on the main story.

This sequel is La Comtesse de Rudolstadt.
Begona Fernandez

I can't remember what made me pick up this mammoth of a book. Maybe George Sand was mentioned in my French lessons as a teenager and subconsciously made me choose it. And I don't regret it, even after taking me a month to finish and putting it down several times to read other books.

It is a delightful book. Full of interesting events, ranging from the scandals and maliciousness of the opera world to the consequences of war, passing through the supernatural. It a tour of Europe and it's different
Mary Kay
This is a spectacular book for me but maybe no one else anywhere will read with great pleasure 816 pages of lively adventures of an 18th century opera singer! She has a wonderfully independent, modest and gracious temperament, and wanders from Venice through a gothic Bohemia to the Vienna of Maria Theresa on her path. Historical musicians and other artists appear as characters, e.g. Haydn, Porpora, Metastasio. Highly recommended to fans of 19th century nnovels!
Natalya
This one was my favorite during years of adolescence. I love how she follows him into the grotto and how he catches her singing and then feverishly trying to jump out the window. I skipped a lot of the historical Chech ruminatings that he was so obsessed on. Still think its one of the most powerful love stories with lots of interesting plot twists. I love her character - so passive, yet so determined and strong. All the family members in the castle were very endearing, especially in that they ca ...more
Moira
Snažím si urovnat myšlenky. Bolí mě hlava. Jsem zahlcena dojmy. Tak se to pokusím vzít od začátku.

Část příběhu, který se odehrával v Benátkách, nejspíše zapůsobil na mou romantickou dušenku. Zamilovala jsem si jej a přestože tuším, že je to právě naopak, považuju tu část, z mého pohledu, za nejpovedenější. Anzoletto byl jednoduše postava, která měla něco do sebe a i mistr Porpora se mi tam zdál "milejší". Snad jen Consuela mi neseděla, byla zakřiknutá, nebo spíše až moc důvěřivá, jako dítě. A mo
Writerlibrarian
Consuelo along with La Comtesse de Rudolstadt are among my favourite nineteen century novels. It's George Sand's masterpiece and bizarrely they were the books she wrote in the worst of times, always on the run, always on deadline. Writing in the dead on night, after all the visitors were asleep, sitting in her little cupboard, writing, writing until 4 am, sending the pages barely edited to Paris from Nohant to be published in the paper. Consuelo started out as a novel about music, opera and Veni ...more
Marina Chilingaryan
Not everyone can dare to read a 800-pages long novel about a singer from the 18th century. But since I have a special predilection towards historical books (especially those about the middle Ages), I couldn't leave this book unread.
The novel is very absorbing and addictive; especially the second part of the novel stunned me with the veracity and vivid descriptions of the sensual and sensitive worlds of the characters.
Even if the book doesn't have a strong moralistic aspect or special genius in
Anita
Nov 03, 2009 Anita added it
Rereading this for some fourth time, and I still can't understand... Hard to explain. Like, nowadays the ideas of reincarnation, clairvoyance and karma, and the concept of individual freedom promoted by the masons back in the days seem obvious nowadays, some sort of a mainstream esoterica, but how the hell did she manage to write this novel then?? It's truly amazing, and I wish there were more novels like this.
Helen Cranberry
Если кратко, то - понравилось, но продолжения не хочу. Мне по душе образ Консуэло, всю книгу я ей сопереживала, порой была шокирована, в некоторых особо мистических моментах волосы вставали дыбом.. Но под конец я устала от этой книги. все-таки не так просто погрузиться в ту жизнь, тем более, что классическая, духовная и оперная музыка мало меня интересуют. тем не менее, книга очаровательна, как и сама Консуэло.
Camafra
Ce livre est riche en émotions, en musique et en action. J'ai énormément aimé l'interaction entre les personnages, ainsi que la profondeur de ces derniers.
Marina Chilingaryan
As a continuation of Consuelo, the book seemed more intriguing and serious, with some mysterious motives than the first book. I actually enjoyed reading it more than the previous one.
Sometimes the author was goingtoo far from the main plot line, the divertions seemed overwhelming at times. But the book was much more mature and serious (it touched upon several political and religious issues) and provided me with a great spectrum of Goeroge's century and its atmosphere.
Esteban Gordon
Simply brilliant. In Consuelo, Sand examines the relationship between music, religious fervor, love, and insanity, among other things, whilst tossing in numerous fascinating historical figures from the 18th century. And even at the end of 800 pages, you feel as though you could keep on reading the young Porporina's adventures for another 10,000 pages. Thankfully there's a sequel!
Writerlibrarian
This is the conclusion of Sand's operatic, dramatic music, mystical novel Consuelo where our heroine after an ill fated marriage finds herself at the Prussian court being the centre of intrigue and being courted by a very mysterious character.

Less than the original but still quite good even if it has more mystic undertones and political intrigues than the original.
Таня Породзинская
Буду читать продолжение! Интригующая, затейливая история, от которой в итоге чтения получаешь совсем не то, чего ожидаешь. Консуэло - это такая невинность и чистота, которых, наверное не существует, и это может вызвать недоверие к автору и произведению. Но эта проникнутость идеализмом отнюдь не помешала роману стать гениальным, полным чувственности и приключений.
Sevim
I adored Consuelo and this one.Love (in every form) and opera.What more could i wish for.I even used the name porporina as an email account but when people heard it they thought it was a name of some adult thing (no idea why).So even tough i really liked the name i can not use it:(
Andreas
I have no recollection what prompted me to pick up this behemoth, which one would be tempted to call overly florid and verbose if it didn't kick so much ass. A complex story, well-developed characters, plenty of romance and intrigue—it all makes for a marvelously enjoyable read.
Esteban Gordon
Magnificent. That's all you really need to know. Well, that and this is the sequel to the even more magnificent Consuelo. (Technically, I suppose I should note 'tis said both make up the one, giant novel, Consuelo.) Liberty! Fraternity! Equality!
Judy
The translation I read this in was quite dated and I think some bits might have been censored, but it is a powerful novel all the same, with its portrayal of a young girl born in poverty who makes her fortune by becoming a singer.
Camafra
J'ai beaucoup aimé la fin du récit: malgré les drames, les personnages principaux savent se soutenir. La dimension spirituelle du récit prend beaucoup de place et nous entraînent dans des réflexions inattendues.
Dulguun
it was really wonderful. Konsuelo is like an angel.and anzeleto or alibert"s love .. I think alibert is really sensible he thinks a lot of thinks, but he has torment
John
I guess this was well written but I did not enjoy reading it. Too much idle dialog of little interest to me. A 19 century womans book.
Lazyreader
May 02, 2011 Lazyreader marked it as to-read
Read this book in my teens and absolutely adored it. I would like to re-read it soon to see if it will have similar effect on me...
Buje
Tatiana
J'aime ce livre passionnément! Magnifique! La romance, le mystère, l'aventure, tout y est.. Intemporel...
Aimuldir Monko
Read about 5 years ago, now The only character I remember is herself Concuelo. Liked the way she was >>
alieneedspace
I read Consuelo when I was 14. It made a huge impact on my life. I enjoyed it very much.
Vicky
This was my favourite title many years ago.
Fannie Dagenais
Mesmerising! I could not put it down.
Ana Fernandes
The most boring book of my life!!!
  • The Forty-Five Guardsmen (The Last Valois, #3)
  • Corinne, or Italy
  • Les Diaboliques
  • Le Capitaine Fracasse
  • A Parisian Affair and Other Stories (34 stories)
  • Lelia: The Life of George Sand
  • A Harlot High and Low
  • Chroniques Italiennes
  • Жёлтый туман (Волшебник Изумрудного города, #5)
  • Алые паруса
  • Hearts of Three
  • The Darling and Other Stories (The Tales of Chekhov, Vol 1)
  • Всадник без головы
  • Italian Journey
  • Boris Godunov
  • The Avignon Quintet: Monsieur, Livia, Constance, Sebastian and Quinx
  • Angelique and the King (Angelique: Original version #3)
  • Малахитовая шкатулка. Уральские сказы
Amantine Aurore Lucile Dupin, later Baroness (French:baronne) Dudevant (1 July 1804 – 8 June 1876), best known by her pseudonym George Sand (French pronunciation: [ʒɔʁʒ sɑd]), was a French novelist. She is considered by some a feminist although she refused to join this movement. She is regarded as the first French female novelist to gain a major reputation.

Sand's reputation came into question when
More about George Sand...
La Petite Fadette La mare au diable Indiana Mauprat Story of My Life: The Autobiography of George Sand (Suny Series, Women Writers in Translation)