The Artist Unique: Discovering Your Creative Signature Through Inspiration and Techniques

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Introduces artists' supplies and techniques offers advice on creativity and craftsmanship from women artists and suggests projects--chiefly drawing and painting--using techniques particular to these artists to inspire individual creativity.
Title: The Artist Unique
Author: Torbus, Carmen
Publisher: F & W Media Inc
Publication Date: 2011/05/23
Number of Pages: 128
Binding Typ...more
Published May 23rd 2011 by North Light Books (first published March 16th 2011)

liberal sprinkles
This book reminds me a little of [[ASIN:160061082X Taking Flight: Inspiration And Techniques To Give Your Creative Spirit Wings]], but it falls far short in its objective. In The Artist Unique, author Carmen Torbus uses stories from 15 artists as a launch pad to try and inspire readers to creativity and their own unique style. Torbus' own story of how she developed her own "messy, layered and sometimes aggressive" style is condensed into the introduction and 2 pages of text - you never get the s...more
Kate Robertson
I enjoyed reading all the artist profiles and there take on things. Some of these artists were new to me so I enjoyed getting to know them. I liked the ending chapters which talked about being authentic with your art. I did expect a little bit more though. The projects in the book were very basic. I would have liked to see some advanced work. There were some good suggestions that I would like to try but I guess I was looking for more detailed ideas.
Kay Oswin
As someone new to art I loved this book. I appreciate, and was challenged by the hearts of the artists. I also enjoyed the 'tasks' to bring out creativity through experimentation. I know that I will journal with greater diligence and pleasure now rather than see a journal as a 'homework book one 'must' do.
I know I will revisit this book often.
Susie Morris
I was disappointed with this book. The title is deceiving. I thought I was going to gain some insight into some clever wisdom on how to tap into more of my artistic side but, instead, it appears more like a how-to book for crafting.
Joanne Wiggins
Good stuff but not quite what I was looking for.
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Morgaine
Morgaine marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
May 07, 2014
Lys
Lys added it
Apr 19, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Karie
Karie marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Denyalle
Denyalle marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Gigi Roberts
Gigi Roberts marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Detroitangel
Detroitangel marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2013
Dana Jo
Dana Jo marked it as to-read
May 01, 2013
Jeff Stiles
Jeff Stiles marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2013
Joey
Joey marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013