Start by marking “Hesitation Kills: A Female Marine Officer's Combat Experience in Iraq” as Want to Read:
Hesitation Kills: A Female Marine Officer's Combat Experience in Iraq

Hesitation Kills: A Female Marine Officer's Combat Experience in Iraq

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This riveting memoir is the first book written by a female Marine about the war in Iraq and one of the only books written by a woman who has experienced combat firsthand. Deploying to Iraq in 2003, Jane Blair's aerial reconnaissance unit was assigned to travel ahead of and alongside combat units throughout the initial phase of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Throughout her deploy ...more
Published June 16th 2011 by Rowman & Littlefield Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Hesitation Kills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hesitation Kills

Mare Grohowski
Nov 08, 2015 Mare Grohowski rated it liked it
I like Blair's style and professionalism. As an officer in the marines and deploying during the initial phase of OIF, she discusses her combat experiences without "hype." In fact, there's very little emotion in her writing, which enhances her credibility as a Marine Corps officer.

The relationships she focuses on are those with herself and her particular duties. The unit with which she deployed traveled throughout Iraq, which she chronicles.

A very important contribution to illustrating the init
Mike
Sep 11, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: sociology
It was interesting to read this firsthand field officer view of the war immediately after reading Tommy Frank's high level war strategy biography. Unlike Franks' bio, I had difficulty putting this book down. The author was rarely self-serving - something I can't quite say about Franks.

My favorite part (p.18): "I joined the Corps because I recognized that I was weak and that my life to date had consisted of nothing more than an effort to make myself comfortable and as safe as possible. I wanted t
Kate Armstrong
Aug 24, 2011 Kate Armstrong rated it it was amazing
I have not read other book by the author, but I will be after reading this one. This was an incredibly well written book. The setting was well created through genuine individuals during the war, flashback was perfectly presented with no leaps, the dialogs were very convincing, You're wondering how could this all work.

I must say, I found it fascinating, very revealing, exciting and very readable.

This book shows another vision of the war in Iraq, just as decisive, the memories and internal feelin
Xandretta
Oct 01, 2011 Xandretta rated it it was amazing
I really, really enjoyed this book. Well, as much as one can "enjoy" a book about combat. Jane's voice is clear and provides amazing insight into military life as an officer, a woman, and most importantly, as a Marine. Well paced and engaging throughout. One of the best military narratives I've read on the impact of modern war.

Also I totally teared up - not going to lie - when reading her husbands correspondence. Better than a romance novel.
Chris Wolak
I made it just past page 100 and stopped reading. Don't know if its just my mood, the fact that one of my friends just deployed to Afghanistan, or that there are multiple snipes against fat, lazy, uncaring Americans, but I lost interest. As a woman who served in the Marines, I was really looking forward to this book. Perhaps I'll give it a try again in the future.
Bethanie Simms
Jun 05, 2014 Bethanie Simms rated it liked it
Really insightful and helpful account of a female Marine Corps lieutenant through training and OEF I. The account is well written an honest. It is a must real for any new female 2nd Lt. She is also prior enlisted so she brings a lot of knowledge and insight as to what it's like to be a female in the USMC.
Devin
Oct 25, 2012 Devin rated it liked it
Shelves: military-books
This was an adventurous tale of a female Marine Second Lieutenant's combat experience in Iraq. It definitely had some good stories, but at other times read like a military manual. Overall, a good read for getting a sense of how it is for a female Marine in Iraq.
Matthew
Sep 19, 2011 Matthew rated it liked it
Nice fluid narrative but it ended right when it was about to get interesting. Specifically how the author was able to adjust to noncombat life as well as when she returns to her husband.
Chelsea Heim
Chelsea Heim rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Csiegel
Csiegel marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Ashley Kirkpatrick
Ashley Kirkpatrick rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Amara VanOrden
Amara VanOrden is currently reading it
Dec 30, 2015
Karlyn Franklin
Karlyn Franklin marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Robert J.
Robert J. rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
G. Buzzy
G. Buzzy marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Chris Ross
Chris Ross marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
keith evans
keith evans rated it did not like it
Sep 22, 2015
Lorrie
Lorrie rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Natalie LeMessurier
Natalie LeMessurier rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Kayla Craig
Kayla Craig marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Erin Alderson
Erin Alderson rated it it was ok
May 17, 2015
Linda Thompson
Linda Thompson rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2015