Start by marking “Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime: The Oceans' Oddest Creatures and Why They Matter” as Want to Read:
Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime: The Oceans' Oddest Creatures and Why They Matter

Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime: The Oceans' Oddest Creatures and Why They Matter

When viewed from a quiet beach, the ocean, with its rolling waves and vast expanse, can seem calm, even serene. But hidden beneath the seaand reminding us of the need to protect it.
Published October 1st 2011 by University Of Chicago Press (first published April 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime

Emma Sea
Prager takes a tack in this book that I've been noticing more frequently in non-fiction books. Each chapter ends in a section basically called (to paraphrase) "Who Give A Fuck?" This details the human uses, or potential uses, of the organism being discussed e.g. "In Korea, the deslimed skin of hagfishes is used to make 'eel skin' products such as handbags, shoes, wallets and briefcases" (p. 30).

Presumably this is what readers want and therefore how publishers direct writers to approach the mater
Wendell
Mar 09, 2012 Wendell rated it it was ok
In a world in which what most people know about science could be nestled comfortably inside a toothpaste cap, Prager joins the ranks of such “popularizers” and “divulgators” of the arcane and mysterious “ologies” as E.O. Wilson, Lewis Thomas, Stephen Jay Gould, and even, in his way, Farley Mowatt. In other words, with writers like these for colleagues, popular-science writers face a bar that is set fairly high. Prager, however, doesn’t even bother to stretch. As her title suggests, and as she ex ...more
Alex Templeton
Dec 06, 2011 Alex Templeton rated it liked it
I eagerly awaited for this book to come in to the library, as I adore weird sea creatures. They give credence to the ideas that the world is full of wonders, and science can be crazy interesting. I unfortunately found this book a bit of a disappointment. There were, indeed, many wondrous creatures to behold. Sea cucumbers can apparently eject their inner organs when threatened. Hagfish emit an astonishing amount of slime. And don’t even get me started on sea stars, whose many sucker-filled arms ...more
Lizsquid
Oct 28, 2013 Lizsquid rated it it was amazing
I hated this book! It kept me from doing my homework, I wasn't even able to eat (and that's hard). I couldn’t put it down for a single second.
This book focused on several marine organisms, from the smartest of cephalopods to the stinging cnidarians. I loved how at the end of each chapter the author wrote why these organisms were important and how they affected us. The writer has an amazing sense of humor, thus the title, Sex Drugs and Sea slime. She is a very creative author when introducing ne
Paige
Jul 09, 2015 Paige rated it it was ok
Despite the promising title, I didn't actually finish this book. I'm kind of surprised that it was put out by University of Chicago Press. Like, it's all factual I'm sure, but... the writing is very repetitive and none of the information has stayed with me. Basically, she'll take a sea creature, tell you what it looks like, any distinguishing features/behaviors that it has, tell you how it mates, and bring up some use that modern medicine has found for it. Over and over. It's just uninspired. Pe ...more
J.
Aug 30, 2014 J. rated it liked it
There's a lot of really fascinating stuff in here, but does this book need more pictures! Prager goes through long explanations of what these weird creatures look like, but a picture would really do the job better. Anyway, her love of weird creatures is evident, and there's a ton of fascinating stuff. But there's also some rather mundane stuff, and the "what's important about these creatures" in every chapter gets a little repetitive--food chain, possible pharmaceuticals, blah blah. I would real ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 15, 2011 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
As heard on "Fresh Air".
Marlowe
Aug 27, 2016 Marlowe rated it liked it
Despite its racy,Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime is actually a fairly tame overview of marine life. Each chapter features a group of species sharing some common trait, giving a few facts for each before the chapter closes with a "why they matter" section (which usually covers edibility and medicinal uses).

As intended, it was the title of the book that really caught my attention. Unfortunately, I only got a few paragraphs in before I knew that I was in trouble. While the title promises humour, the narr
Last Ranger
Jun 14, 2014 Last Ranger rated it it was amazing

Secrets of a Hidden World.

If there is a final frontier on Earth then it must be in the ocean. In many ways we know more about the Moon than we do about this watery realm. And there is life everywhere, from the tropics to the poles, in incredible numbers and diversity. In her book: Sex, Drugs, and Sea Slime author Ellen Prager spotlights some of the strange and wonderful creatures that call the sea their home. Ranging in size from microscopic bacteria and plankton to the largest sharks, kelp, wha
Bob Stocker
Sep 13, 2011 Bob Stocker rated it really liked it
The ocean is home to a myriad of intriguing species: tiny phytoplankton that produce much of the oxygen in our atmosphere; slimy hagfish; killer cone snails; Caribbean lobsters that migrate single file to deeper waters after the first autumn tropical storm; and mighty carnivores like orca whales and polar bears. In Sex, Drugs and Sea Slime, Ellen Prager describes these and enough other species to give the reader a sense of the wondrous diversity of life that oceans support.

Prager clearly hopes t
Bill
Feb 07, 2014 Bill rated it really liked it
Shelves: marine-biology
This is a warm and enjoyable survey of the less charismatic, but perhaps more important, forms of marine life. Prager writes in a light and humorous style, and her passion for these creatures comes through on every page.

Breaking from the norm in a biological survey book, Prager does not arrange her book along taxonomic lines, but rather according to behavioral attributes (with the exception of the chapter on snails). In one chapter, she creates a fictional X-games to describe deep-diving, fast-
Erika
Jan 29, 2016 Erika rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, nature
This was a fun and informative book, some of the humor to me felt a bit flat, like the author was trying to hard to be clever, but it was clear how much she enjoys her subject and that comes through clearly.

Each chapter is broken down into groups of animals and gives a lot of details into their lives without feeling bogged down and each chapter ends with a look at how these creatures benefit our world and our lives, it's a shame we need to be given reasons to want to protect these species and th
Michael Connolly
May 12, 2015 Michael Connolly rated it liked it
Shelves: earth-sciences
This was a short, easy book to read. The reading difficulty appears to be about high-school level. The author describes a wide variety of animals that live in the oceans. Many of them were quite strange and unfamiliar. This book is a good starting point for choosing which creatures to read more specialized books about. The invertebrate animals were the most interesting to me: zooplankton, salps, copepods, arrow worms, pteropods, siphonophores, and hagfish. There was lots of information on sex an ...more
Jim
Dec 05, 2011 Jim rated it it was amazing
Ellen Prager does a fantastic job showing us was lurks in the oceans. Written in a layman's voice yet bringing the science to the forefront, she demonstrates the amazing creatures of the sea while relating it to "Why they matter." A positive, fun look at the strangest habits of the everything from bacteria to whales, all the while, helping us understand the importance in protecting and saving our greatest resource, the oceans. The photo plates embedded within the text bring to life some of the o ...more
Hal
Nov 23, 2012 Hal rated it liked it
I first had a bit of difficulty getting into the book because though it was not a large volume the typography was jammed in to the point that for me it made reading it a big tedious. Once I got into it I found it do be interesting and fascinating in many ways. The diversity and unusual things found in the oceans is pretty amazing. The conclusion delves into the ecological perils that we have created in our consumer oriented world that puts the balance of life in some jeopardy. It is easy to dism ...more
Laura Gilfillan
Mar 25, 2012 Laura Gilfillan rated it really liked it
Fascinating. Fascinating. The world is full of strange creatures, especially the sea. The descriptions were brief and left me wanting more, but I suppose that's difficult because creatures in the sea are so difficult to observe. I was already familiar with a lot that she had to say, but I learned a lot of interesting new information too, and enjoyed reading about the old again anyway. Not a second read book, though, once was enough. A lot of talk about slime.
Claire Scott
Sep 30, 2011 Claire Scott rated it really liked it
Mediocre writing, but FASCINATING information! I would love to see this as a series of awesome nonfiction picture books, a la Nic Bishop. I think Prager's got the knack for describing in an accessible way, and that would parlay beautifully into a really good series of well-photographed, pithy, super neat nonfiction.
Erin
Jun 19, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it
As promised, this book provided an entertaining look at some of the very unusual animals in the ocean. I am now fully informed as to the peculiar habits of the bone-eating zombie snot worm. My only complaint? The book was too short... I would have liked to learn a little more about some of these undersea weirdos.
Chris
Aug 04, 2014 Chris rated it it was ok
Very shallow in its coverage. If you have even a basic knowledge of marine life, you'll find little that is new or interesting. Would have like more detail in the "why they matter sections". We eat them and there are some potential drugs to be made from them is the general gist, but again not enough depth.
Teresa
Sep 21, 2014 Teresa rated it really liked it
I really liked reading this book! I got it on my Kindle and I'm thinking I may want to buy the physical book, so I have the pictures in color. It's a great way to learn about a lot of things that live below the surface of our oceans. This would make a great book for people who don't think about what we get out of this vast natural resource.
Jon
May 07, 2016 Jon rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2016
Meh, lots of facts presented in a somewhat interesting voice. However, nothing was tied together. It just seemed like a long series of blog posts. The author tried to cover too much and left me wanting more information on the few things that really interested me. I really wanted to like this more than I did.
Heather
Sep 05, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
A relatively short exploration of some of the curiosities of the ocean, and their importance within their ecosystems and ours. This is a very user friendly book, designed for laypeople to be easy to understand and concise without seeming juvenile. Very interesting and not overly time -consuming, certainly worth a read.
Stephanie
Nov 25, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, science
Although I think there was a fair bit of interesting material here, I really didn't like how this book was written. I kept finding my mind wandering. It was written a lot more like an essay than a book. The title and cover were great, and I think that had she written it more like a book and less like a paper for submission to a journal, it would have moved up a few stars in my rating.
Julian
Aug 06, 2016 Julian rated it it was ok
An interesting topic, but the writing often feels like a highschool essay. Could have used heavy editing. The content is also fairly shallow; I assume this book was aimed at teenagers, and that audience might find more to enjoy here than I did.
Emily Brown
Jul 16, 2011 Emily Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, kindle
a VERY fun book exploring the ocean at its coolest (yes, sometimes literally). highly recommended for anyone interested in science or just plain cool stuff. very easy to read but still leaves you with a great amount of interesting information.
Jonas Gehrlein
Mar 21, 2014 Jonas Gehrlein rated it it was ok
Shelves: biology
The book lacks overarching structure and can feel very samey until the end.
Where Prager talks about the enviromental problems in the oceans and a good list about what .
You can do lifts the book out of mediocrity
Batsheva
Oct 23, 2011 Batsheva rated it it was ok
Shelves: science, non-fiction
This seems like a silly reason, but I had problems finishing this book because the type was too damn small. My eyes would get tired and I'd quit or fall asleep. But the chapters on hagfish slime are quite entertaining and educational!
Samantha
Aug 02, 2011 Samantha rated it it was ok
I hate to give this 2 stars but I've got to - reads like a textbook, no personalization at all. And this from someone who loves the ocean & its creatures. Good try - some good parts, and and I appreciate the effort to connect the dots between the creatures and why the matter, but dry...
Melanie
I didn't end up finishing this. While I loved some of the interviews that I heard with Ellen Prager on Science Friday and NPR's Fresh Air, I couldn't stay engaged in the book. It felt too much like a beginner marine biology book at times, and with my biology background I got bored.
Eric Jackson
Aug 26, 2016 Eric Jackson rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, science
Love this book. Might be a little simplistic for enthusiasts, but as part of an introductory class, exceptional.
4 Things That Affect Your Health and Fitness 1 2 Apr 29, 2014 10:08PM
SUPER YACON 1000 Health And Fitness Quiz 1 3 Feb 22, 2014 08:33AM
  • Demon Fish: Travels Through the Hidden World of Sharks
  • The Deep: The Extraordinary Creatures of the Abyss
  • Kraken: The Curious, Exciting, and Slightly Disturbing Science of Squid
  • Poseidon's Steed: The Story of Seahorses, from Myth to Reality
  • Eels: An Exploration, from New Zealand to the Sargasso, of the World's Most Mysterious Fish
  • Horseshoe Crabs and Velvet Worms: The Story of the Animals and Plants That Time Has Left Behind
  • The Red Hourglass: Lives of the Predators
  • Octopus!: The Most Mysterious Creature in the Sea
  • Dark Banquet: Blood and the Curious Lives of Blood-Feeding Creatures
  • The Unnatural History of the Sea
  • Every Living Thing: Man's Obsessive Quest to Catalog Life, from Nanobacteria to New Monkeys
  • Honeybee Democracy
  • Spineless Wonders: Strange Tales from the Invertebrate World
  • A Gap in Nature: Discovering the World's Extinct Animals
  • The Whale: In Search of the Giants of the Sea
  • Rat Island: Predators in Paradise and the World's Greatest Wildlife Rescue
  • Winter World: The Ingenuity of Animal Survival
  • Octopus: The Ocean's Intelligent Invertebrate

“...one never knows what interesting fact will turn up when researching a book!” 0 likes