Start by marking “Earthdance” as Want to Read:
Earthdance

Earthdance

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  64 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In dynamic words and dramatic pictures, Earthdance invites young readers to become not just part of the earth, but Earth itself.
Published March 15th 1999 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Earthdance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earthdance

Judy Lindow
Jul 11, 2015 Judy Lindow rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Well first kinder class - older kids at TK level - that were pretty wild possibly because they had a sub the day before, and also I suspect they have a first year teacher - almost shut this book down. It's only a few minutes read - but they complained about the pictures and one outspoken child said it was boring. I'll try it out one more time.

Today I have a high level, K-1 class, which is usually pretty focussed, can discuss, etc.
This 2nd class thought it was boring, too. One student said it wa
Christina Hyde
Mar 19, 2015 Christina Hyde rated it it was amazing
This book was very different from what I thought it would be. Earth dance takes you on a descriptive journey from the very foundations of our planet to the animals, rivers, and people that make up our home.

What makes the literary elements of this book interesting is that the book is written in first person, you the reader are planet Earth. For example, "Your whisper is a breeze murmuring through the reeds," explains the winds and "wiggle your shoulders and mountains tremble and quake" describes
Janet Squires
Jan 06, 2016 Janet Squires rated it really liked it
This poem and the vibrant illustrations invite the reader to become one with our amazing planet.
Relyn
Oct 15, 2011 Relyn rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Relyn by: Katie Wood Ray
Shelves: lawsonland
Yuck. Our excellent school librarian ordered this for me when I read in a teaching resource book that this one would be great for teaching writing. I appreciate her doing it, but ICK what a book. The idea is that the book is written from the Earth's perspective. But, the prose reads as overblown and the artwork is icky. It reminds me of a book they would have read to us in the 70s in elementary school on Earth day.
Aprils
Jun 27, 2013 Aprils rated it liked it
This book was colorful and imaginative, and I enjoyed the illustrations. I think this book would work well as a kinesthetic activity for preschoolers to do on Earth Day. If I were leading a storytime based on this book, I would have children perform the dance that is described by the author.
Bree
Apr 24, 2014 Bree rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Notes:
huh??
what's interesting about imagining you are the earth???
weird
Kay
Apr 21, 2009 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful pictures and poetic text lend to a great description of Earth. Particularly moving for Earth Day, this book helps a child to relate to and almost feel like Mother Earth in order to have compassion for this planet we call home.
Kim
Jan 24, 2009 Kim rated it it was amazing
The artwork in this book delights the eye, and really challenged the artist within. My kids loved the book when they were younger, and now that they are older they enjoy the artwork more so.
J
Oct 21, 2011 J rated it really liked it
Pretty story about taking care of Mother Earth through the teaching of similes and metaphorical statements. I used this book in class to teach all similes and metaphors.
Theresa
Jul 23, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
" a poem about the earth and all that it is and does and moves as it is the center of our world
reads better with the kids eyes closed."
Cheryl
Guided imagery while exercising the imagination. The illustrations are cheerful and supportive of the poetry.
Buxmont Uu
Experiences with the Web of Life Intro
CC 3
MLK Center
MLK Center marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Nicholas Moebus
Nicholas Moebus rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2015
Abby
Abby rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2015
Angi Turner
Angi Turner rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Danielle Bell
Danielle Bell rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2015
India McHale
India McHale marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Peter Vanderhooft
Peter Vanderhooft rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Pink
Pink marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Claudia Liuzzi
Claudia Liuzzi marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
WCNS
WCNS added it
May 29, 2015
Brie
Brie added it
Apr 29, 2015
Meg Sanchez
Meg Sanchez marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Joanna Ryder is an award-winning author whose books offer a unique blend of poetry and science. Her innovative Just for a Day series invites children into the world of wild animals, ranging from a sea otter to Tyrannosaurus rex. Ms. Ryder says, "Children know that my books often ask them to imagine being a different creature. So they always ask me which animal I would choose to be. I'd be a flying ...more
More about Joanne Ryder...