Blank-133x176
Louis Braille: The Boy...

Margaret Davidson

Louis Braille: The Boy Who Invented Books for the Blind

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  43 reviews
A poignant story of the man who developed the Braille system of printing for the blind.
Published January 1st 1988 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Louis Braille, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Louis Braille

Heather
I read this for Willa's book club and found it to be much more fun than I thought it would be. There is a certain value in reading a book that the authors have made an effort to write in clear and simple terms for an audience of children. And many biographies may be better that way anyway. I'm much more interested in the quick take of Louis Braille than the academic delving of historians that care too much about minutiae.
Sandy
This is a very short book telling about the extraordinary and short life of Louis Braille, the developer of the reading system for the blind. He came up with the ultimate in finger pad reading at the age of 15 much to the chagrin of all the adults around him. Inspiring story.
Daniel L.
An Eye Opening Book on a Boy Who Taught the World a New Way to See

Having read several of Margaret Davidson's books, I admit I have a certain brand loyalty, an admiration for her writing. I heartily recommend anything by Ms. Davidson, and this little book is no exception. As with her biography on Thomas A. Edison, the subject of this book had to overcome great obstacles. As Ms. Davidson points out, the blind (and the deaf, for that matter) were often not considered able to be taught. Young Louis...more
Natasha
Really awesome book. Very short and meant for elementary school students, it glosses over Louis Braille's life quickly, but easily understandable. I think the best part of this book is the back cover has the braille alphabet punched out next to the actual printed alphabet.

I really want to find a more in depth book, but this was a fantastic start. I am 21 and enjoyed this book. I recommend it for anyone who wants to learn a little more about the origins of the Braille alphabet. Read in 30 minutes...more
Tonya Nelson
Summary: This book tells about the life of a boy who became blind by the age of three, Louis Braille. He went to school, was determined to learn rather than just rely on his memory, and wanted to be like everyone else as much as possible. Most of his disabled counterparts were outcasts, but Louis was determined to read and learn even though he was blind. He eventually invented the raised dot alphabet, or Braille. Even though Louis was blind, he found a way to experience and make the most out of...more
Eric
When I first learned the braille alphabet, it was out of adversity: I had recently discovered that my daughter Megan was losing her eyesight due to Ritinitis Pigmentosa. This experience wasn't a new to me.... I had previously reacted to the shock of learning of her deafness by teaching myself the alphabet of ASL, American Sign Language.

So, it was about time I learned about the life of the Braille and the writing system my daughter now knows. I can never aspire to her ability in ASL and Braille,...more
Kristen
I loved learning more about Louis Braille (what an amazing child!), and can't wait to share his story with my kids. What a great reminder that nothing is impossible, and that you can do anything that you want to, even if you are young, at a disadvantage socially/physically, or with whatever your circumstances throw at you.
Jadalynn
This is a biography for intermediate readers. This book is about Louis Braille, in case you couldn’t tell from the title. When he was about 15 years old he came up with a way for blind people to read, the system he invented is now called Braille. Louis was blind and he wanted to read, but the only way for blind people to read in those days was raised print. Just because he could feel the letters doesn’t mean he could read well. Too many letters were hard to tell apart and so he decided to come u...more
Virgina
A remarkable young man! Never knew much about him but this book gave a little bit of an insight about his life. Of course it is a children's books. It wasn't bogged down with details and it went straight to the point. I liked that. A very good book for a children who are progressing in their reading journey! :)
Will
i like Louis Braille because it brought me knowledge about someone i didnt know and would love to know more about. i think it is amazing that a fifth-teen year old boy could succeed where many great man have failed. with the new alphabet that he made i find it hard for so many people to turn down his great invention with out having the full understanding of if it works, how it works, and whether or not they can actually use it and start to print books for the blind. through hard work and patienc...more
Lisa Tortorello
This Scholastic biography is a simple read that will give young people a good understanding of who Louis Braille was and the great contribution he made to help the blind be able to read books.

I learned many interesting facts about Louis Braille, the first of which was that he was not born blind. The most impressive part of his story was his dedication to the idea of finding a way to help blind people read...not just short texts, or school books, but to be able to enjoy a variety of reading. Lou...more
Jane Gehr
An old Scholastic edition that I got as a kid, found it tucked away on a shelf. I loved this book then and love it now, mostly because it has the Braille alphabet stamped on the back cover.
Mrs. Preziosi
Just read this book on this cozy snow day and loved it! If you are hanging out doing nothing today, pick up a good book!
You could also work on your writing!
LuAnn
A solid child's biography on Louis Braille and his life-long efforts to develop and promote the alphabet that came to be known by his name.
Jose
"Louis Braille" recounts the story behind the creation of the Braille alphabet for the blind. The book starts with the story of Louis and how he became blind. The author uses foreshadowing of an accident when Louis promises not to touch his father's tools with, "But promises are hard to keep" that made an impression on me. The book goes on to detail his studies which were unheard of for anyone with his disability. His development of an alphabet allowed him to continue is studies but when he trie...more
Melissa
This is a simple but engaging read. It has a good balance of facts and feelings.
Yzobelle
I'll never forget the story of Braille. I must have memorized all the details already. ... Very nice! Very inspiring. It would be a shame for any normal person to be apathetic towards life. With this impairment of Braile and his being proactive is a wake up call for us who wait for the rest of the world to solve even the tiniest and most insignificant problem.
Linda Johnson
A well-written biography, this book follows the life of Louis Braille and tells the story of how Braille, writing for the blind, came to be. It demonstrates the importance of perseverance and confidence as well as overcoming obstacles. I really enjoyed this story and if you are looking for an easy biography, this is a very good read.
Casi
This is such an inspiring story! It is about Louis Braille's life. He invented Braille as a way for blind people to read and communicate. I loved that he accomplished his dream against all odds. He kept hearing no, but he didn't let that stop him and he proved so many people wrong!
HeavyReader
This was another book order book. This was another book that I read over and over again. I still get the awful horrible cringing feeling whenever I remember Louis using that sharp tool (was it an awl?) and it slipping and stabbing him in the eye. GROSS! Poor kid.
Mary-Jane
Fascinating true story of a Louis who became blind through accident and infection as a child and who later developed the Braille system in spite of opposition from his teachers and superiors. Excellent read for young and old.
Simon
A young boy invented a way for the blind to read at the age of 15. A very good non fiction biography. He was blind himself and he really wanted to read. It made me think about the world in a different way-
Suzanne
I read this book during primary school, remembered loving it and now it's on the list for my daughters to read, love that books go full circle. Think it's time to re read after glancing at other reviews.
Melainebooks
Un très bon roman pour nous expliquer qui était Louis Braille, comment il inventa son alphabet et combien il lutta toute sa vie pour voir reconnaître cet alphabet pratique pour les aveugles.
Brian Sims
Just read Louis Braille by Margaret Davidson. It’s a children’s 80-page Scholastic Biography of the amazing story of the boy who invented books for the blind, worth every minute of the read.
Michelle
my first book...read it when i was 7... amazing how a book could affect your childhood... makes you believe everything is possible if you put your mind to it... and as long as you dont give up
Amanda Kay
I love history so this was a must read back in 1996. Writen for children but I guess adults can get something out of it too. It also has real braille on the back cover if I remember right!
Jordan
Sweet story. Reading this book is the first I've ever learned of Louis Braille. What an honorable person he was. My kids will also enjoy this--I'm sure of it.
Laura Hein
Even though he started out young, everyone ridicouled him all the time and he was sick his whole life, he never gave up and pushed forward. HUGE INSPIRATION!
  • Why Don't You Get a Horse, Sam Adams?
  • Out of Darkness: The Story of Louis Braille
  • George Washington
  • Lives of the Musicians: Good Times, Bad Times (and What the Neighbors Thought)
  • Who Was Harry Houdini?
  • Joan of Arc
  • American Tall Tales
  • Sacajawea
  • If You Sailed On The Mayflower
  • Ryan White: My Own Story
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Mysterious Handprints (Encyclopedia Brown, #16)
  • A Drop Of Water: A Book of Science and Wonder
  • Rainbow Garden
  • The First Woman Doctor: The Story of Elizabeth Blackwell, M.D.
  • The Landing of the Pilgrims
  • Eleanor
  • Welcome to Felicity's World · 1774: Growing Up in Colonial America (American Girls Collection)
There is more than one author with this name

Margaret Davidson grew up in New York City. As a child, she always loved to read.

She has written many biographies, true stories about people's lives. Some famous people she has written biographies about are Helen Keller, Annie Sullivan, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Golda Meir.
More about Margaret Davidson...
Helen Keller Helen Keller's Teacher Five True Dog Stories I Have a Dream: The Story of Martin Luther King The Story Of Thomas Alva Edison