Start by marking “A Stroke of Dumb Luck (Colbana Files, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
A Stroke of Dumb Luck (Colbana Files, #0.5)

A Stroke of Dumb Luck (Colbana Files 0.5)

When a teenaged girl goes missing, her mother calls Kit Colbana, scion of an ancient line of warriors  -- unfortunately, Kit's heritage doesn't impress the local wererats much. They're determined to make the girl one of their own, and Kit is going to need a big sword, a bright flashlight, and a helpful vampire to get her back.
Published January 22nd 2011

To ask other readers questions about A Stroke of Dumb Luck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Stroke of Dumb Luck

Karly *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*

Spooktober, the month of things that go bite in the night - or day ;).

w, is for Walker

4 Stars

Hello, my name is Kit Colbana and I AM a badass!

A Stroke of Dumb Luck is a one of those 0.5 shorties that are so popular these days. And I don’t actually have much luck with these little morsels, especially when they are in worlds I’ve never visited. However, this is a GREAT little taste of Walker’s world.

If this is what her Colbana Files Series is all about, I am so in.

You see Kit is the particular fl
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
A Stroke of Dumb Luck is one of the two prequels of the Colbana Files series. At least, there are only two at the moment.

I must say it works really well as an introduction to this world. At the moment I don't know much about it except what can be glimpsed from Kit's comments.

Kit Colbana comes from a family of mythical warrior women. Only she is a half-breed of sorts and there isn't a lot of love between her and her family.

I like Kit. We find her in the sewers looking for a friend's daughter. Al
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
You can get this for free here:

My sword arm is mighty.

I will not falter.

I will not fail.

Pretty killer introduction to the series IMO.
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Jul 27, 2015 Rachel- Goodbye Borders rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Nice, short introduction to Kit. I liked Kit, but she came across as very young and a bit immature. It was enough to snag my interest and I'm curious to read how she grows in the next book.
Catherine
Good stuff! Except for a few, very little, nit-picky things, I'm really impressed with the writing. The setting isn't too original but I like the characters in this bite-sized story. On to book 1!
Apr 10, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Fans of the Colbana Files are going to really enjoy this little short story prequel that can be read for free on the Tor website. The story is also available to download from Amazon for the Kindle but you have to pay a small amount for that version. I have to say that although I'm happy to have read it for free I think I'd have been disappointed if I'd spent money on it (it's very short at around 20 pages). Please note that while A Stroke of Dumb Luck is published on Amazon with the author's cor ...more
Meigan
Super short story, about 20 pages, that's available for free at Tor.com. You can also find it through the usual ebook retailers, but it's not free if you go that route.

This novella takes place before the events of the first book, showing a bit more of the relationship between both Jude and Kit, and the rats and Kit. Kit has always hated the rat clan and this story shows why that is. It was also interesting to read about Jude before he had Kit in his sights as something more and I have to say, h
Ana
Podem ler este conto aqui: http://www.tor.com/stories/2010/07/a-...

Este conto está cheio de acção e é uma boa introdução à série Colbana Files. Eu fiquei com vontade de ler!
Kit parece uma boa protagonista, forte mas ao mesmo tempo vulnerável, e gostei da voz narrativa. Se os romances forem assim, acho que posso gostar.
Do que não gostei foi dos clichés:
- Were-rats são mauzões;
- Vampiro, todo bom, salva o dia.
Do que mais gostei:
- Da voz narrativa;
- Do potencial da Kit enquanto aneira;
- Da acção e
Kelly
I really, REALLY love the world created here and seeing Kit and Jude before the events in book 2 kinda killed me. Kit's fierce and determined. Jude's... well, he's Jude. Btw, even if I wasn't already invested in the characters, I would have read this one because the cover is so freaking awesome. As it is, the short story delivers and gives us hints of the Kit to come.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal

A Stroke of Dumb Luck was a free read at the Tor.com website on 11/21/13.

Jeremy Cox
Oct 19, 2016 Jeremy Cox rated it really liked it
Were people, vampires, and a half aneira - seems to be similar to a valkyrie, warrior woman; interesting and well written enough that I will by trying the longer books in the series.
Scarlett
Apr 29, 2012 Scarlett rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Originally posted on my blog here.

What first attracted me to this book was the cover. I had been looking at the art of Jason Chan and this is one of the covers that he has done (I really like his style, you can check out more at his website ) and thought I would give it a try. Doesn't that girl look like she has an intense story behind her? I'm sure she does...but unfortunately this novelette is not it.

To be fair, this book didn't really give itself much of a chance, it only breaks down to about
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Kit Colbana belongs to an ancient line of warriors, but she’s not a pure-blood. When a mother calls Kit to find her missing daughter she agrees to go searching the lair of the wererats for her. Unfortunately, her mission goes sideways. Fortunately, one of the many messages she left for the supernatural community leaders was received and acted upon. Otherwise, Kit might have been a tasty meal for the wererats.

I loved this short story. The writing was smooth and the plot flowed easily. The two mai
Christine
I haven't read a book with rat shifters (wererats) before (wait, no! that's not entirely true, Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling series has them as well, but they only have one sentence in a whole book, poor rat shifters). Here, they are the villians and it suits them well. Kit Colbana is part aneira, but more human than aneira. She has an enchanted sword and can make herself dissappear from anyone's sight for a short period of time. Cool. I wish I had an enchanted sword and could slice through my ...more
Christi Snow
Mar 15, 2014 Christi Snow rated it really liked it
My Review:
I'm a huge fan of the Kit Colbana books, but for some reason never realized this novella was out there. This novella shows how Kit got her start "finding things" and moved on from working at TJ's bar back when she was still fairly traumatized by her upbringing...not that she's ever truly recovered from that. This novella also introduced Jude and Kit's relationship with him. *shudder*

It's definitely a novella that fans of the series should read just because it provides early insight. It
Thenia
A very intriguing short story about a half-breed mythical assassin named Kit and an almost suicide mission she takes on to save the life of a fifteen year-old girl.

Kit is tenacious and brave, although very aware of her abilities and her vulnerability, especially compared to the other nonmortals around. One of those is the vampire Jude that comes to her aid and basically saves her bacon.

I enjoyed that first glimpse into Kit's world and I'm jumping straight to the first book of her series!
Ryan Snyder
Jun 05, 2013 Ryan Snyder rated it really liked it
Oh, I just love Kit. I own both Blade Song and Night Blade and she never gets old. Jude, however, I feel no love for. But I enjoyed being able to read about her adventures into the Rat pack to save Mandy, as this is an essential part of her relationship with Mandy's mother as well as how she came to owe Jude. Good for a novella.

I read it for free on Tor.com here:

Darcy
May 22, 2014 Darcy rated it liked it
I have been wanting to check out this series for a while and since I can't read out of order I started here, even though it might not be the best place to.

I do find myself intrigued, I want to know more of what Kit is and why such a powerful being sided with her. So I guess for a short, it did it's job well!
Jackie Lane
Dec 31, 2014 Jackie Lane rated it really liked it
Kit Colbana gets a call that a 15 year old is missing. She is sick and has decided to go with the rat pack to be bitten. Kit is determined and fierce, but does not have the necessary powers to overtake the rats (wererats).

Along comes Jude to help her rescue Mandy.

I'm not 100% sure about reading about rats, but this prequel intrigued me enough to continue.

4 stars
Loren Weaver
Aug 20, 2014 Loren Weaver rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal-crime
A Stroke of Dumb Luck is the first prequel to the Colbana Files series by JC Daniels. Yes, Shiloh Walker and JC Daniels are the same author.

This story is how Kit met Jude when she took out the wererat pack that stole her friend Collen's daughter. The story is referred to in Bladed Magic. Kit goes in after the girl and ends up letting Jude help get her out.
Suzanne Rothchild
Aug 19, 2014 Suzanne Rothchild rated it it was amazing
A very nice prequel introduces you to the heroine and a couple of the major players in the next books. Not necessary for the series, but the story itself is enjoyable and introduces our villain for the future books, though in this novella he is more of an anti-hero in that he helps Kit when she needs it.
Peggy
Sep 17, 2013 Peggy rated it it was amazing
I read book 1 and 2 before this one . I didn't know it was out . It is the start of the series and it ended too soon for me . I really love this book and didn't want it to end.I thought it could use a little more of Kit's background . But all and all it captured me from page one and kept me on the edge of my seat....A great Page Turner ...
Mishal
May 08, 2012 Mishal rated it really liked it
Yay Kit saved Mandy...if it wasn't for Jude she would've been dead so YAY JUDE!
I really like it...it was very well written. Jude really reminded me of Draco Malfoy except he was a saviour and was a vampire...oh and he was calmer and more collected. More mature.
Really enjoyed it!
Amy Braun
Jun 09, 2016 Amy Braun rated it really liked it
Very, very short, but I felt like I was able to get a good taste of what the series will be about. It seems like it will be a lot of fun. Seriously though, I finished this in half an hour, so there's not much to say. Good for a rapid read, though I could tell there were some characters I'm supposed to be familiar with in the main series, and have no context with which to go on with them.
Jo
Jul 20, 2012 Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012, uf
Having just read and written an early review of Blade Song I loved being able to see the whats and whys of how Kit and Jude met! this is a great short prequel!
Linda
Dec 17, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
A very quick (20 pages) prequel you can read for free on the Tor site.
An adventure where Kit goes in on her own to save a young girl, facing rat shifters and certain death.
Great intro to the fast paced action and kick ass heroine, just like the series. Two thumbs up! =)
Zafia
Jun 14, 2016 Zafia rated it really liked it
Just a prequel and a short one at that. It seemed like I barely had the time to blink. However what I found out was that the writing style was quite lovely and I'm intrigued enough to want to know more about Kit and this hunk Jude. I'm hoping there'll be more of him.
Aya
Sep 16, 2015 Aya rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Colbana Files: 0.5
This is a very short story, but it does give a clear picture of a heroine who is brash, driven by duty, and somewhat foolish. It's pretty much mostly a prolonged action scene. Interesting enough to want to read the first novel.
Dr susan
Feb 01, 2015 Dr susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read, own, read-again
A Stroke of Dumb Luck is the beginning of Kit Colbana's story. I can only imagine that Walker wrote this short story, and then had an angry, damaged young woman yelling in her head, as Kit would not want her story to be only Dumb Luck. I am very glad that Walker decided to continue this series.
Shelby
Sep 22, 2015 Shelby rated it really liked it
Was an interesting short story. I don't normally like vampires or things of that nature but I did like this story. I think I'll give the first book a try.
Lura
I read this when it was first posted on Tor.com. I fell in love with this world then. I was one of the many people begging Ms. Walker to write more in this world, more about Kit. And Jude.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Bladed Magic (Colbana Files, #0.6)
  • Pros and Cons (Nikki Glass, #2.5)
  • Collected (Coveted, #0.5)
  • Blooded (Jessica McClain, #0.5)
  • Poison (Elemental Assassin, #0.1)
  • Forbidden Fruit (Corine Solomon, #3.5)
  • A Cup of Salt Tears
  • Wings of Redemption (Return to Sanctuary, #0.5)
  • Dead Man's Deal (The Asylum Tales, #2)
  • Bad Cop (Immortalis, #2)
  • Have Stakes, Will Travel (Jane Yellowrock, #4.5)
  • That Thing at the Zoo (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #0.5)
  • River Road (Sentinels of New Orleans, #2)
  • Devil's Luck (The Disillusionists, #3.5)
  • Heaps of Pearl (October Daye, #9.1)
  • Pack of Strays (Fangborn, #2)
  • Death Ain't But A Word
Hello... thanks for swinging by. I don't log into Goodreads much, so if you have questions, please visit my website to email me through my site.
Thank you!

My other me.... J.C. Daniels

Bio...

Shiloh Walker has been writing since she was a kid. She fell in love with vampires with the book Bunnicula and has worked her way up to the more...ah...serious vampire stories. She loves reading and writing anyt
More about Shiloh Walker...

Colbana Files (5 books)
  • Blade Song (Colbana Files, #1)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Broken Blade (Colbana Files, #3)
  • Edged Blade (Colbana Files, #4)
  • Shadowed Blade (Colbana Files, #5)