Start by marking “A Stroke of Dumb Luck (Colbana Files, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
A Stroke of Dumb Luck (Colbana Files, #0.5)

A Stroke of Dumb Luck (Colbana Files 0.5)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  38 reviews
When a teenaged girl goes missing, her mother calls Kit Colbana, scion of an ancient line of warriors -- unfortunately, Kit's heritage doesn't impress the local wererats much. They're determined to make the girl one of their own, and Kit is going to need a big sword, a bright flashlight, and a helpful vampire to get her back....more
Published (first published January 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Stroke of Dumb Luck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Stroke of Dumb Luck

Ana
Podem ler este conto aqui: http://www.tor.com/stories/2010/07/a-...

Este conto está cheio de acção e é uma boa introdução à série Colbana Files. Eu fiquei com vontade de ler!
Kit parece uma boa protagonista, forte mas ao mesmo tempo vulnerável, e gostei da voz narrativa. Se os romances forem assim, acho que posso gostar.
Do que não gostei foi dos clichés:
- Were-rats são mauzões;
- Vampiro, todo bom, salva o dia.
Do que mais gostei:
- Da voz narrativa;
- Do potencial da Kit enquanto aneira;
- Da acção e...more
Kelly
I really, REALLY love the world created here and seeing Kit and Jude before the events in book 2 kinda killed me. Kit's fierce and determined. Jude's... well, he's Jude. Btw, even if I wasn't already invested in the characters, I would have read this one because the cover is so freaking awesome. As it is, the short story delivers and gives us hints of the Kit to come.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal

A Stroke of Dumb Luck was a free read at the Tor.com website on 11/21/13. Read for the Why Buy the...more
Christi Snow
My Review:
I'm a huge fan of the Kit Colbana books, but for some reason never realized this novella was out there. This novella shows how Kit got her start "finding things" and moved on from working at TJ's bar back when she was still fairly traumatized by her upbringing...not that she's ever truly recovered from that. This novella also introduced Jude and Kit's relationship with him. *shudder*

It's definitely a novella that fans of the series should read just because it provides early insight. It...more
Scarlett
Originally posted on my blog here.

What first attracted me to this book was the cover. I had been looking at the art of Jason Chan and this is one of the covers that he has done (I really like his style, you can check out more at his website ) and thought I would give it a try. Doesn't that girl look like she has an intense story behind her? I'm sure she does...but unfortunately this novelette is not it.

To be fair, this book didn't really give itself much of a chance, it only breaks down to about...more
Fans of the Colbana Files are going to really enjoy this little short story prequel that can be read for free on the Tor website. The story is also available to download from Amazon for the Kindle but you have to pay a small amount for that version. I have to say that although I'm happy to have read it for free I think I'd have been disappointed if I'd spent money on it (it's very short at around 20 pages). Please note that while A Stroke of Dumb Luck is published on Amazon with the author's cor...more
Jackie Lane
Kit Colbana gets a call that a 15 year old is missing. She is sick and has decided to go with the rat pack to be bitten. Kit is determined and fierce, but does not have the necessary powers to overtake the rats (wererats).

Along comes Jude to help her rescue Mandy.

I'm not 100% sure about reading about rats, but this prequel intrigued me enough to continue.

4 stars
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Kit Colbana belongs to an ancient line of warriors, but she’s not a pure-blood. When a mother calls Kit to find her missing daughter she agrees to go searching the lair of the wererats for her. Unfortunately, her mission goes sideways. Fortunately, one of the many messages she left for the supernatural community leaders was received and acted upon. Otherwise, Kit might have been a tasty meal for the wererats.

I loved this short story. The writing was smooth and the plot flowed easily. The two mai...more
Loren Weaver
A Stroke of Dumb Luck is the first prequel to the Colbana Files series by JC Daniels. Yes, Shiloh Walker and JC Daniels are the same author.

This story is how Kit met Jude when she took out the wererat pack that stole her friend Collen's daughter. The story is referred to in Bladed Magic. Kit goes in after the girl and ends up letting Jude help get her out.
Christine
I haven't read a book with rat shifters (wererats) before (wait, no! that's not entirely true, Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling series has them as well, but they only have one sentence in a whole book, poor rat shifters). Here, they are the villians and it suits them well. Kit Colbana is part aneira, but more human than aneira. She has an enchanted sword and can make herself dissappear from anyone's sight for a short period of time. Cool. I wish I had an enchanted sword and could slice through my i...more
Darcy
I have been wanting to check out this series for a while and since I can't read out of order I started here, even though it might not be the best place to.

I do find myself intrigued, I want to know more of what Kit is and why such a powerful being sided with her. So I guess for a short, it did it's job well!
Suzanne Rothchild
A very nice prequel introduces you to the heroine and a couple of the major players in the next books. Not necessary for the series, but the story itself is enjoyable and introduces our villain for the future books, though in this novella he is more of an anti-hero in that he helps Kit when she needs it.
Dr susan
A Stroke of Dumb Luck is the beginning of Kit Colbana's story. I can only imagine that Walker wrote this short story, and then had an angry, damaged young woman yelling in her head, as Kit would not want her story to be only Dumb Luck. I am very glad that Walker decided to continue this series.
Monica Pulliam
The start of it all

Kit is very bold and should think more but I liked that she was willing to die for a girl that is already so sick. Good short story.
Jay
loved reading this little snippet of kits adventures. and i mean little. its a glimpse of how she and jude met, and of his ruthlessness and immense power.
Lisa
In this short novella we see a bit of Jude's abilities and sense his beginning fascination with Kit. Action packed!
Alison
A short story about Kit rescuing Colleen's daughter from the Rats and her first real encounter with Jude
Vivienne
hard to rate really, as it is clearly a teaser for the later books which I really like.
Karyogini
Looks interesting. Great teaser to the series.
Wendy T
A good introduction to another good series.
Keri
A small prequel of our young Kit.
Thenia
A very intriguing short story about a half-breed mythical assassin named Kit and an almost suicide mission she takes on to save the life of a fifteen year-old girl.

Kit is tenacious and brave, although very aware of her abilities and her vulnerability, especially compared to the other nonmortals around. One of those is the vampire Jude that comes to her aid and basically saves her bacon.

I enjoyed that first glimpse into Kit's world and I'm jumping straight to the first book of her series!
Ryan Snyder
Oh, I just love Kit. I own both Blade Song and Night Blade and she never gets old. Jude, however, I feel no love for. But I enjoyed being able to read about her adventures into the Rat pack to save Mandy, as this is an essential part of her relationship with Mandy's mother as well as how she came to owe Jude. Good for a novella.

I read it for free on Tor.com here:

Peggy
I read book 1 and 2 before this one . I didn't know it was out . It is the start of the series and it ended too soon for me . I really love this book and didn't want it to end.I thought it could use a little more of Kit's background . But all and all it captured me from page one and kept me on the edge of my seat....A great Page Turner ...
Mishal
Yay Kit saved Mandy...if it wasn't for Jude she would've been dead so YAY JUDE!
I really like it...it was very well written. Jude really reminded me of Draco Malfoy except he was a saviour and was a vampire...oh and he was calmer and more collected. More mature.
Really enjoyed it!
Linda
A very quick (20 pages) prequel you can read for free on the Tor site.
An adventure where Kit goes in on her own to save a young girl, facing rat shifters and certain death.
Great intro to the fast paced action and kick ass heroine, just like the series. Two thumbs up! =)
Jo
Having just read and written an early review of Blade Song I loved being able to see the whats and whys of how Kit and Jude met! this is a great short prequel!
Jessica (Rabid Reads)
You can get this for free here:

My sword arm is mighty.

I will not falter.

I will not fail.

Pretty killer introduction to the series IMO.
Kimikimi
Another Tor.com short story.

This is another one that I don't really think works as a short story. It has great world building, but doesn't get enough time to flesh out the characters.
Nawnee
This is a great free short story you can find on Shiloh Walkers we site. All I have to say is what series is Ruiz from and more please. I really want to know how these characters end up
Lura
I read this when it was first posted on Tor.com. I fell in love with this world then. I was one of the many people begging Ms. Walker to write more in this world, more about Kit. And Jude.
  • Broken Blade (Colbana Files #3)
  • Collected (Coveted, #0.5)
  • Devil's Luck (The Disillusionists, #3.5)
  • Blooded (Jessica McClain, #0.5)
  • Forbidden Fruit (Corine Solomon, #3.5)
  • When Shadows Call (Shaede Assassin, #0.5)
  • Carniepunk: Parlor Tricks (Elemental Assassin #8.1)
  • Raw Deal (Bite Back 0.5)
  • Night Shift (Kate Daniels, #7.5; SPI Files, # 0.5; Psy-Changeling)
  • Have Stakes, Will Travel (Jane Yellowrock, #4.5)
  • Caught Forever Between (Hoodoo, #2.5)
  • River Road (Sentinels of New Orleans, #2)
  • Curran; Fernando's (Curran POV, #5)
  • The Grendel Affair (SPI Files, #1)
  • Shadowed Threads (Rylee Adamson, #4)
  • That Thing at the Zoo (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #0.5)
Hello... thanks for swinging by. I don't log into Goodreads much, so if you have questions, please visit my website to email me through my site.
Thank you!

My other me.... J.C. Daniels

Bio...

Shiloh Walker has been writing since she was a kid. She fell in love with vampires with the book Bunnicula and has worked her way up to the more...ah...serious vampire stories. She loves reading and writing anyt...more
More about Shiloh Walker...
If You Hear Her (The Ash Trilogy, #1) Fragile (Rafferty, #1) Broken (Rafferty, #2) The Missing (The FBI Psychics, #1) If You See Her (The Ash Trilogy, #2)