Start by marking “Sink the Bismarck” as Want to Read:
Sink the Bismarck

Sink the Bismarck

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  308 ratings  ·  26 reviews
n 1941, Hitler's deadly Bismarck, the fastest battleship afloat, broke out into the Atlantic. Its mission: to cut the lifeline of British shipping and win the war with one mighty blow. How the Royal Navy tried to meet this threat and its desperate attempt to bring the giant Bismarck to bay is the story C. S. Forester tells with mounting excitement and suspense.
Published February 1963 by Bantam Books (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Sink the Bismarck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sink the Bismarck

Catch-22 by Joseph HellerAll Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutFor Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest HemingwayThe Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
Best War Novels
239th out of 595 books — 558 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakCatch-22 by Joseph HellerSlaughterhouse-Five by Kurt VonnegutThe Winds of War by Herman WoukAtonement by Ian McEwan
World War II Fiction
242nd out of 605 books — 990 voters

More lists with this book...

Algernon
I've "blown" through this in a couple of hours. Nothing wrong with it, except it was over too soon.
The opening paragraph is a bit over the top in its patriotic fervor, but I have to admit the subject renders itself to such a treatment. When thousands of lives are lost at sea in a matter of minutes, and when 26 ships are sunk out of a convoy of 31, it makes the reader wonder what kind of courage and dedication it takes to set sail in the face of such odds.

This is a story of the most desperate ch
Stephen
I've been familiar with the movie for years & I expected the book to be similar. However the book sticks more to the facts of the actual search and battle and read more like a documentary than like the movie.

Still, no one tells a sea story like C.S.Forester and one does get a feel for what a number of the participants must have felt. This is a very quick read at 118 pages and is well worth the time.

However, one really should watch the movie as well. There are whole characters and incidents
Travis Ristau
Before I read this book I had already seen a movie on the sinking of the Bismarck. I think the book is great as a means to describe what happened between Germany and the British and what happened on board each ship. On the other hand the movie did a much greater job of mapping everything out and showing the great size difference that the measurements in the book couldn't describe. I would recomand this book to anyone interested in war stories as it deals a lot with strategy but includes a miracl ...more
Lance
Feb 23, 2011 Lance rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: individual interested in naval conflict of WWII
Great historical book. The hunt for the Bismarck is the topic of many books, movies and song. One knows how it ends, but the speeches, political stances of the military, the interest in the hunt at that time and other occurances that are not discribed in most history books make it a very interesting read. It is an easy read and worth the time.
Matthew Horrocks
i decided to read this book because i am interested in events relating to WWII and Nazi Germany.

this fits into the bingo board category of 'a book with themes related to those we've studied in class in term three'. this is because it is about other famous ships sinking ie the Bismarck and HMS Hood. this is interesting because it is also very similar to the titanic in the way that this book concentrates on events leading up to as well as the sinking of the ship, just like in the titanic.

this book
Rebecca
This is an approximation of what happened with the Bismarck. The conversations and speeches are what the author imagines they would have been. And the little disclaimer in the front says some of the characters never actually existed even if people very much like them did. It’s only a short story but Forester manages to pack it full of suspense and tension. Even though the outcome is already known. There is a lot of people looking at maps and pointing while saying ‘THERE’. It is probably more dra ...more
Dave Warawa
Like most of us, I read this many years ago in grade school. It was such a great book, I paid four times what it was worth then to read it again. A classic, like Old Man and the Sea.
Keith
"Sink the Bismarck" is an interesting narrative of how the great German ship Bismarck was damaged and then sunk.
Don
Informative, descriptive, action packed. Drama, suspense, dialogue. The characters, the sea. Brilliant!
Glen
Excellent read ... Lively ... Easy to follow ... Giving events from both sides ...
Sebastian
It was pretty "Meh" compared to the other books I've read.
David
This is listed a non-fiction by the publisher but I consider it historical fiction since the author admits that even though the events are real, many of the characters and dialog are all made up. An okay telling of the battle to sink the Bismarck. Used for the movie, Sink the Bismarck which seems to stick closely to the book. Made up characters and all.
Titanic Buff
A fascinating read. From what I understand this is a somewhat fictionalized retelling of the event, but it includes a good many facts, as well. Forester didn't bog down readers with details, that's for certain! If you are looking for a book regarding Bismarck and want but a "light" read this one is recommended.
Brendan
reads like a movie. At first I thought it was a novelization of the film, but no, the book came first. In fact it turns out that it was originally titled: The Last Nine Days of the Bismarck. It was only reprinted as "Sink the Bismarck" after the film was made.
Chris Gager
Obviously not first published in 1920! A war! A ship! A movie! a song! Johnny Horton I think. Good book and stiff upper lip movie. The song's kind of wacky though. Two other books by different authors with the same title - weird! Date read is a guess.
Jonathan
This is a story of the most desperate chances, of the loftiest patriotism and of the highest professional skills, of a gamble for the domination of the world in which human lives were the stakes on the green gaming table of the oceans.
Kellie
A good story about the events known at that time and a good jumping off point for more research. My only problem with this copy of the book was the multiple typos. Sometimes there were several on one (small) page.
Lee
I read it a long time ago. I cannot remember much about it any more.
Harry Moncelle
Excellent read, First published as the last nine days of the Bismarck, Forester puts you on the birdge of the Bismarck, the Hood, and others.
Anne
This was a surprisingly fast-paced book. I read it cover to cover on a plane ride, and it held my interest the whole way through.
Brent Kleppen
I read this book in elementary school and it still rings as one of my favorites.
Andy
A concise, but thorough look at one of the most fascinating naval stories of WWII.
Brynna
Tends to stiffness in tone, but an excellent narrative.
Kathryn
First Recorded Reading: August 5, 1999
Stefan Vucak
Forester brings this story alive!
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Jferrara
Jferrara marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
  • The Colditz Story (Cassell Military Paperbacks)
  • Sea of Thunder: Four Commanders and the Last Great Naval Campaign 1941-1945
  • The Wooden Horse
  • Abandon Ship!: The Saga of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, the Navy's Greatest Sea Disaster
  • Dresden
  • Japanese Destroyer Captain: Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Midway - The Great Naval Battles As Seen Through Japanese Eyes
  • The Man Who Never Was
  • Infamy: Pearl Harbor and Its Aftermath
  • Escape from the Deep: The Epic Story of a  Legendary Submarine and her Courageous Crew
  • The Naval War of 1812
  • The Cruel Sea (Classics of War)
  • Reach for the Sky
  • Blitzkrieg: From the Rise of Hitler to the Fall of Dunkirk
  • They Dared Return: An Epic Story of Jewish Refugees Who Escaped Nazi Germany, But Returned for Vengeance
  • A Measureless Peril: America in the Fight for the Atlantic, the Longest Battle of World War II
  • Danger's Hour: The Story of the USS Bunker Hill and the Kamikaze Pilot Who Crippled Her
  • Iron Coffins: A Personal Account of the German U-boat Battles of World War II
  • Here is Your War
Cecil Scott Forester was the pen name of Cecil Louis Troughton Smith, an English novelist who rose to fame with tales of adventure and military crusades. His most notable works were the 11-book Horatio Hornblower series, about naval warfare during the Napoleonic era, and The African Queen (1935; filmed in 1951 by John Huston). His novels A Ship of the Line and Flying Colours were jointly awarded t ...more
More about C.S. Forester...
Mr. Midshipman Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #1) Lieutenant Hornblower (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #2) Beat to Quarters (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #6) Hornblower and the Hotspur (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #3) The African Queen