Start by marking “Il canzoniere eddico” as Want to Read:
Il canzoniere eddico

Il canzoniere eddico

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  4,775 Ratings  ·  188 Reviews
Anonima, approdata sulla pergamena dopo un periodo imprecisabile di tradizione orale, la raccolta del "Canzoniere eddico" narra eventi divini e umani, miti ed eroi dell'antica Islanda. La rivalità, l'inganno, la vendetta, la sofferenza, l'eroismo, l'ineluttabilità del destino sono i temi ricorrenti che ne evidenziano il carattere formativo-didattico. Poesia sempre rinata p ...more
Published 2004 by Garzanti (first published 1200)

To ask other readers questions about Il canzoniere eddico, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Il canzoniere eddico

Wood Wroth
PLEASE NOTE: Due to poor organization of translations on this website, I must note that this is a review of Andy Orchard's translation of the "Poetic Edda", which he has titled "The Elder Edda: A Book of Viking Lore".

Being familiar with Andy Orchard's handbook on Norse mythology ("Dictionary of Norse Myth and Legend", 1997) and finding it to be a nice middle ground between Rudolf Simek's deeply flawed handbook and the limited scope of John Lindow's own, it was with high hopes that I waited for
João Fernandes
description

What I love the most about Norse literature and mythology is that the gods are all incredibly... for the lack of a better word, human. They suffer, they lust, they love, and they even seem to be quite mortal as far as gods go.

The Elder (or Poetic) Edda is a collection of 'poems' found in an ancient manuscript in Iceland, the Codex Regius.

The Elder Edda has a mythological section, with poems about the gods and the start and end of the world (the famous Ragnarok), and a heroic section.

I was surpri
Mike
May 26, 2009 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: native speakers of Anglo-Saxon, etins
The introduction states that the Edda is "a repository, in poetic form" of mythology and heroic lore "bodying forth both the ethical views and the cultural life of the North during the late heathen and early Christian times." It is also, for the most part, boring as fuck. It may be an interesting read if you are a fan of English before it got corrupted by all those French and Latin borrowings, or don't mind stopping several times a page to find out the meaning of an obscure or terribly archaic w ...more
Briynne
Sep 28, 2009 Briynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It turns out that I have a real thing for Scandinavian literature. Reading this and the sagas has made me a little obsessed with the idea of visiting Iceland. It’s hard for me to separate my thoughts on the eddas from my thoughts on the sagas and the most recent Sigrid Undset novel I’m reading, but I’m going to try to keep everything to it’s proper review space.

Alright. The Elder Edda (or Poetic Edda) is the written version of the oral-tradition base material from which the later Younger/Prose
sologdin
Jul 26, 2016 sologdin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, medieval
famous for being one of the earliest plagiarisms of professor Tolkien's LotR.
John Snow
Oct 24, 2013 John Snow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Poetic Edda is not a book you read from beginning to end like a novel. The Poetic Edda contains 35 poems, some of which are very complicated. I usually read and study one or a few poems at a time, put the book aside, and then get back to it later. But the more times I read the poems, the more I appreciate their poetic qualities and the glimpses they give into the deep mysteries and wisdom of Norse mythology.

Together with The Prose Edda by Snorri Sturluson, The Poetic Edda is the best medieva
Mina Soare
The notes cover more of each page than the stanzas... and it's worth it.

I found out about this book by watching the Avengers, which led me to slash Avenger fanfiction, which mentioned the The Prose Edda and this... this splendid-story-great-poetry-albeit-translated-rich-vibrant-speech-not-to-mention-the-characters companion, as it were, the Poetic Edda. For the poem by poem (ye fifty of them) impressions, see the notes.

Considering the Thor, Odin and Loki of the movie had to have ingested enoug
Chris
Oct 18, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you consider the fact that pre-Christian Scandinavian cultures, at least the ones responsible for the stories written down in the Edda, believed the world was created from the dismembered body of a giant, then you begin to realize that it's not going to be a trip to Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

Even the gods are doomed, and when Odin, boss of the gods, is constantly trying to find secret wisdom to avert the prophesied battle that will kill the gods, you know you're screwed.

Not for the faint
Kaila
The Voluspa is the first poem of the Edda. It tells of the birth of the world, the giants and the gods, a few things in their lives, and then Ragnarok. It is one of the most beautiful, poignant, and sad things I've ever read. The world is out to get you and everyone dies, that's what Norse mythology teaches us.

Note on the translation: I mostly read Carolyn Larrington's UNrevised translation. I had the great fortune of getting a copy of Ursula Dronke's Voluspa and it is superior in every way as f
Stephen
Apr 17, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If for no other reason, this translation is remarkable for its scrupulous adherence to English words of Germanic origin - I cannot recall a single instance of finding a Greek or Latin root. The language and meter are deliciously archaic, and give a feel for the grammatical richness which has now largely fallen away from our modern tongue.
Lance Schaubert
Sep 13, 2014 Lance Schaubert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where else can you find a joint source for half of Tolkien's names and a good chunk of Marvel comics?

The Poetic Edda is the crux of Norse mythology and I won't presume to aspire to heavy or valued literary criticism here. I appeal as a lay reader to lay readers –you need to work your way through this book as you would any classic piece. You need this book as source material for your own stories, as enjoyment for life, and as a platform upon which to build an understanding of modern stories.

As L
Deborah Ideiosepius  omnivorous reader
This is a massive read. I expected it to be, however not only has it exceeded expectations it has totally scrambled them as well as my original goals in reading this book.

This collection is indeed a treasure trove of mythic Norse verse, it does indeed give a lot of insight into mythology lore and culture just as the cover claims it will.

The translator, Hollander also gives us a truly astounding amount of scholarly information, footnotes and explanations without with a large amount of this prose
Hannah
Jun 09, 2015 Hannah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I just received the latest Penguin edition of Orchard's ''Elder Edda'' and won't have time to read it just yet, but some things already irk me. It has already been said in another review that the use of the term ''viking lore'' is not really accurate, and I agree, it comes across as a marketing move to heighten the interest. Really, it doesn't need that.

I also noticed the blurb which says: ''Legends from the Ancient North'' and then lists Sir Gawain and the Green Knight too, which makes no sense
Cymru Roberts
Dec 30, 2014 Cymru Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-ancients
The gods of antiquity are our super heroes of today. Marvel has transformed most of the Norse gods into comic book characters, for better or for worse I don't know. I am inspired by the tales of glorious gods and I was interested in any overlap that may occur between the Norse and Greek pantheons. This text met and exceeded my expectations, but contained many lays that would only appeal to a completist or college-level student of Norse mythology.

The lays are epic in scope, encompassing the begin
Chad
May 06, 2015 Chad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Hollander's Translation)

A difficult book to rate. I enjoyed the first third of the poems, having to do with the gods and giants, but I suspect this was only because I was already familiar with these myths and could follow along.
The last two-thirds of the poems have to do with the heroic legends that partly inspired Wagner's Ring Cycle. I wish I had read a prose version of this story first as the poetic version(s) was hard to follow. Especially since the story was chopped up among 20 different
Elizabeth
Contents

Introductory Material: iv-xliv (x)

Mythological Poems

Sigrdrifumal: 169-175
Br
Eirene
Jan 21, 2011 Eirene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love poetry of the kind like Beowulf
" So weave we weird sisters our war winning woof..." I did not start out to read Old Norse poetry. I was looking up something regarding the Valkyrie for a piece I was writing and I came across this one line. Needless to say, the spectacular alliteration got me. I picked up this book from the library and read through it. Found in these poems are the stories of the Valkyrie, Jörmunrekkr, king of the Goths, the Nibelung and, if I recall correctly, even references to Attila the Hun. The structure is ...more
Helen Francini
Sep 19, 2013 Helen Francini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who likes Tolkien needs to read the Eddas. Also anyone who likes mythology, good stories, etc. If you think the Vikings were only into raiding England (and anywhere else they landed), battles, and mayhem in general, think again. These tales contain plenty of violence, but also far more beauty and imagination than most people realize the ancient Norse culture possessed. Greece may have given the world democracy and Rome the Pax Romana, but in all their myths and legends there is nothing li ...more
Abi
I didn't like how she translated names. Magic-elf sounds shit compared to Gandalf, and it's really fun the first time you realise how much stuff Tolkien lifted from Norse mythology. Larrington steals that experience from anybody who only reads this version somewhat. Some of the translation was also a little unclear, but overall she's working with brilliant material and you can't go far wrong. The slumbering wolf does not get the ham, as Odin would say. Personally I prefer the Prose Edda, but pro ...more
Nikki
I totally didn't use my essay as an excuse to read this... This is a source for Snorri's Edda, so of course, it was appropriate reading. It's a bit harder to read than Snorri's Edda, I think, although that's partially the translation. The translator translated the names, which is a bit weird to read.

Fun seeing how much this mythology has influenced fantasy writing.
Eadweard
I liked how Hollander used mostly words of germanic origin, it fits well.

Very much liked all the lays and poems that dealt with the Volsungs, I think that that is probably the most interesting saga of them all.
Beka Sukhitashvili
Jul 19, 2015 Beka Sukhitashvili rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: icelandic
ღმერთებზე დაწერილი სიმღერები ყველაზე მეტად მომეწონა.
სკანდინავიური კოსმოგონია ერთ-ერთი ყველაზე საინტერესოა.
virgodura
Loved the stories! I also found the notes helpful.
Charlotte
Loetud:
- Völuspaa
- Thrymri laul
- Vöölundri laul
- Odini kaarnaloits
Hengest
Oct 26, 2011 Hengest rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent with copious useful footnotes.
Joseyr93
Nov 18, 2016 Joseyr93 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got to love Viking lore! This Eddic Verse/ Heroic Meter contains a lot of language and ideals that Tolkien uses in his works. For example, riddle games, importance of jewelry, Mirkwood, Oaken-shield etc. In comparison to Greek and Roman mythology, Germanic mythology shares a lot of the same ideals. Ideals such as you achieve immortality through verse. As long as stories are still told, or songs still sung about you, you'll last forever. "As insidious tongue took him to his death."
Stuart
Oct 12, 2016 Stuart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Elder Edda is the second book in the Penguin Classics series Legends from the Ancient North. This work, like the others in this series have two things in common. The author is anonymous, and the works inspired the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien. This edition of the book begins with a twenty page introduction by the author, which tells us about the Icelandic history of the Codex Regius and the contents. There are also notes on spelling, pronunciation, and translation, which will be helpful to ser ...more
Sofie
Brates översättning är ju rätt arkaisk, och jag vill deifnitivt läsa om Eddan i en modernare översättning där innehåll står över form. Gudasångerna var lättast att ta till sig, kanske för att jag känner igen flera av namnen och historierna. Hjältesångerna var tyvärr rätt sega i den här versionen, men sångerna om Gudrun är helt klart mina favoriter av dem. Ett redigt fruntimmer!
Simona Friuli
Oct 13, 2016 Simona Friuli rated it it was amazing
Adoro l'epica norrena; ho preferito, tuttavia, l'esposizione più suggestiva e ordinata - molto meno contraddittoria - dell'Edda di Sturluson. Ho nettamente preferito i diciannove carmi eroici. Il personaggio di Gudhrun - la Crimilde de "I Nibelunghi", lì icona cortese - si distacca totalmente dal suo modello originario. Avviene quasi un ribaltamento. Sono lieta che, finalmente, il personaggio di Brunilde abbia avuto lo spazio che merita.
Aug 02, 2015 No rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, wpww
A highly recommended edition of the Poetic Edda that is updated into modern english, has brief overviews, lets you know whos speaking, or when random shifts in a story happen. All things that can be a little confusing reading the original translations so this wil give you a better and clearer understanding of the Eddas. Also includes The Cowboy Havamal that reads like a retired undefeated gunslinger from the old west is speaking. My new favorite translation.

"Norse society prized a warlike, aggre
What is "Heathenism?" 1 3 Jul 28, 2014 03:34PM
Ancient World: Ancient Scandinavia 1 27 Dec 05, 2012 03:06AM
  • The Prose Edda
  • Gods and Myths of Northern Europe
  • Norse Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Heroes, Rituals, and Beliefs
  • Hrafnkel's Saga and Other Icelandic Stories
  • The Vikings
  • Viking Age Iceland
  • Saxo Grammaticus: The History of the Danes, Books I-IX: I. English Text; II. Commentary
  • A Dictionary of Northern Mythology
  • RuneLore
  • A History of the Vikings
  • D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths
  • Inanna, Queen of Heaven and Earth: Her Stories and Hymns from Sumer
  • Taking Up the Runes: A Complete Guide to Using Runes in Spells, Rituals, Divination, and Magic
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...

“Men brave and generous live the best lives, seldom will they sorrow; then there are fools, afraid of everything, who grumble instead of giving.” 13 likes
“It is like a man | whom no one loves,-- Why should his life be long?” 2 likes