Start by marking “Quiet Anchorage” as Want to Read:
Quiet Anchorage

Quiet Anchorage (Isabel & Alma Trumbo Cozy Mystery #1)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Quiet Anchorage, Virginia, looks like paradise. When she's accused of murdering her fiance, however, the small town is anything but heavenly for Megan Connors. With her fingerprints on the murder weapon, it looks like an open-and-shut case, and Sheriff Fox, running for reelection and anxious to get credit for 'solving' a murder case, intends on ramming through charges and ...more
Published February 9th 2011 by BooksForABuck

To ask other readers questions about Quiet Anchorage, please sign up.

Ed Yes, Beth. There used to be used ex-library copies for sale. I hope to put it out in paper again. Thanks, Ed

I love a good cozy mystery and this one fit the bill! The characters were fun and the book was a fast and easy, yet extremely entertaining read!

Isabel and Alma Trumbo are sisters. They are upset when their niece, Megan, is accused of murdering her fiance and the two set out to clear Megan's name. However, Sheriff Fox is not going to let it go that easily. The aunt's will stop at nothing (and I do mean nothing) to help.

I enjoyed the small town atmosphere (very much like the town I live in) and t
I was so charmed by this first book in the 'Alma & Isabel' mystery series, I have already downloaded the next two into my Kindle. Alma and Isabel are two elderly sisters who are young at heart, wicked of tongue and do not suffer fools gladly. Their niece is charged with murder and they are determined to find the true murderer. These are the kind of mysteries that I don't really care who did it. I am entertained by the sister's relationship with one another and to all they encounter. I love A ...more
A really cute story. Good detective work and some pretty good use of dumb luck. I'dd reccomend it to anyone who like cozy mysteries or anyone who likesw small town stories.
Gayle B
I liked it! Love the quirky characters. Right out of any small town USA.
I have shared my review on

My 2 cents:

What a great cozy mystery this was to read. This is the first book I have read by the author and what a read it was. I throughly enjoyed reading about Alma and Isabel the amateur sleuths of Quiet Anchorage. They end up trying to help their niece Megan get our of jail. If they can, with Megan's prints on the murder weapon she might not stand a chance up against Sheriff Fox. He is bound and determined to make this case stick right before election time.

Alma and Isabel really make this b
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Quiet Anchorage is a debut cozy mystery for Ed Lynskey in the tradition of Anne George's Southern Sisters series. In the small American town of Quiet Anchorage, sisters Isabel and Alma Trumbo enjoy sipping iced tea, reading mystery novels, watching 'stories' and completing the odd crossword or two but these two spry septuagenarians are incensed when their niece, Megan, is accused of the murder of her fiance and set out to prove Sheriff Fox wrong and unmask the real killer.

With just enough misdir
Quiet Anchorage by Ed Lynskey is a fun read of the cozy mystery variety. While I probably won't reread this one, I'm certainly going to be on the look-out for the further adventures of the elderly sleuths, Isabel and Alma. I enjoyed the atmosphere of the small town as well as the relationship between the sisters. And it was a pleasure to have a different kind of detective-or, rather, detectives!

Many thanks to Ed Lynskey for the ride and hopes for another one soon!
Quiet Anchorage, Virginia, a small town with as many quirky, eccentric characters as any other small town also has the Trumbo sisters, Isabel and Alma. When Megan, the Trumbo's niece, is accused of the murder of her boyfriend the newly formed Trumbo Detective Agency gets busy finding out who the real murderer is.

I liked the characters, especially Isabel and Alma as well as their young, bright, friend Sammi Jo. I found their antics quite humorous but frustrating at times. I was a little confused
Sisters, Isabel and Alma are on the case when their niece, Megan, is falsely accused of the murder of her fiance. Since they have been reading murder mysteries novels forever, they believe they are experts when it comes to solving crimes. These two elderly sisters are a hoot! Their back and forth conversations are like a pinball machine, jumping from subject to subject without missing a beat. I swear if these two ladies were real people, I would get whiplash every time I had a conversation with ...more
It was good, the 2 old ladies were fun but it seemed to drag quite a bit in spots. I thought there was a few sections that really didn't advance the plot and seemed as if they could have been deleted with no one being the wiser. I did not actually guess who it was though so that's good.
Refreshing new sister sleuth mystery series, October 16, 2012

Alma and Isabel, make up the new Trumbo Sisters Detective Agency. That is after their niece, Megan, was arrested for the murder of her fiance, Jake Robbins, the local mechanic.
Megan discovered Jake at his garage dead from a gun shot. Sheriff Fox arrests Megan after finding her fingerprints on the gun. Alma and Isabel are livid to put it mildly. They are bound and determined to get to the bottom of this set up against Megan. But every
Picture Jessica Fletcher of MURDER SHE WROTE teamed up with Agatha Christie's Miss Marple & you would have the Trumbo sisters. Isabel and Alma like reading a good mystery and have used the skills learned from them to solve a couple simple ones in the small town of Quiet Anchorage. But this time it's murder and it involves their niece Megan. To make matters worse, it's an election year for the local sheriff & solving this case would cinch his re-election. So as far as Sheriff Fox is conce ...more
Oh boy. Another mystery series I want to read. I enjoyed these Virginian sisters and their town. There were a few typos but I expect those to be cleared up. A few awkward sentences and phrases, also. But none detracted from this engaging book.
Beth Yeary
It was a fast, interesting read. I do love cozies, though. It turns out that Quiet Anchorage is almost a hotbed of corruption. LOL I must find others in this series to find out what more is found in town. LOL
This was a fun easy read. It is kind of hard imagining two 70+ year old ladies playing sleuths, but anything is possible and it had a surprise ending. Thanks Goodreads for the recommendation.
Pat Deneen
Started and then put down. Just did not warm up to the sisters. I has been compared to Anne George's southern sisters so perhaps my expectation level was too high. I may pick it back ip later but for now giving it a pass.
Really enjoyed reading the antics of two seventy something sisters trying to solve the murder of their nieces boyfriend. Very reminiscent of Ann George. Am looking forward to reading the next book.
aught a few too many gramatical erros throughout the book.
The Trumbo sisters are a hoot! This is a great cozy mystery with lots of character! Can't wait to read the next one to find out what the sisters are up to next.
Hannelore Cheney
The 1st in a cozy book series featuring 2 sisters who are fun, feisty and very likeable. I tore through this book and ideally will read the whole series. My favorite genre is British mysteries, and this reminds me of the cozy English village mysteries. Most of the books I read now are not at all cozy, which can become a bit harrowing, so it's lovely to be able to turn to something sweet, fun as well as being a mystery!
Keller Adcock
This book had a good story. I really liked the sisters and their assistant. The niece they were trying to save was a bit odd. In one part, one of the sisters was looking for something that had fallen into the knitting basket. Being a knitter myself, I wish she hadn't given up on the knitting so that could become part of the continuing story!
Quiet Anchorage is an entertaining cozy mystery. Isabel and Alma are tenacious, outspoken mystery readers determined to exonerate their niece who has been framed for murder.

Quiet Anchorage is the first in a planned series of amateur sleuth novels featuring Isabel and Alma's ladies detective agency. I look forward to their next case.
Hope this is the beginning of a series. Would love to know more about the sisters back stories. Enticing tidbits about their past thrown in and now I want to know more about them. Loved the 3 eccentrics on the bench and Sammi Jo. Story good although I thought I knew who did it early on but only started to figure out why later on.
Sandy Voegtlen
It took a little while for me to warm to the protagonists, but once I did, the novel ended too quickly. Now I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of trouble they stir up in the second novel of the series.
I really enjoyed this book. The characters were lots of fun and very lovable. The mystery was simple and made you feel like you were part of the community and wanted to root on the two sisters to solve the murder! I can't wait for the next one! Thank you for allowing me to read this giveaway edition!
Good cozy mystery about two sisters.. retired, widowed, and senior citizens working to solve a murder that finds their niece accused and behind bars. This is the first book in the series. I plan to read the next one "The Cashmere Shroud".
Elise Dubois
Took a while to get through this one. Lacked some of the speed I like, and found a few odd sentences. Otherwise, okay read.
Very much a fun read from Ed Lynskey, who shows with this book that he can write hardcore and cozy. I'm glad that the sisters have made some returnvisits, and intend to read all the books.
There were some things to like in this book, however the appeal of the characters was overshadowed by numerous grammatical errors, awkward phrasing and stilted dialogue.
My Cozy Mystery Quiz 1 6 Aug 01, 2013 01:11AM
Our Small Town Eccentrics Have Their Say 1 3 Feb 24, 2011 12:29PM
Settings Outside of the Box 1 3 Feb 21, 2011 01:47AM
Male authors writing cozy mysteries 8 16 Feb 19, 2011 07:25PM
You're Old as You Feel in a Cozy 1 7 Feb 19, 2011 01:50AM
Small towns: disappearing reality? 1 8 Feb 17, 2011 05:03AM
  • Running on Empty (Main Street Mystery #1)
  • Trouble Under the Tree (Nina Quinn, #6)
  • The Rhythm of Secrets
  • The Goat-Ripper Case (Sonoma Knight PI, #1)
  • Recovery (Nicci Beauvoir #2)
  • Gods of War
  • Deadly Pleasures
  • The Begonia Bribe (A Garden Society Mystery, #2)
  • Reunion with Death
  • No Known Grave (Detective Inspector Tom Tyler, #3)
  • Dark is the Sky
  • Goodbye, Dolly (Gretchen Birch, #2)
  • The Guardians of the Hidden Scepter
  • Escape
  • A Very Private Grave (Monastery Murders, #1)
  • The Warrior (Warriors, #1)
  • Delirious
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Yuletide Weddings

Ed Lynskey and his family live and work near Washington, D.C. He likes walking, watching baseball, and playing with their cat Frannie. He currently writes two cozy mystery series. Contact Ed at to receive his books newsletter.
More about Ed Lynskey...

Isabel & Alma Trumbo Cozy Mystery (5 books)
  • The Cashmere Shroud (Isabel & Alma Trumbo Cozy Mystery, #2)
  • The Ladybug Song (Isabel & Alma Trumbo Cozy Mystery, #3)
  • The Amber Top Hat (Isabel & Alma Trumbo Cozy Mystery, #4)
  • Sweet Betsy (Isabel & Alma Trumbo Cozy Mystery, #5)

“A decade ago when Isabel’s husband Max had died, they’d moved in together and merged their possessions. Neither sister brought any fussy teapots, canaries, sachets, or doilies, but lots of other stuff had to either stay or go. Looking at the lime green gave Alma the willies. Her suggestion to slipcover it in a more subdued color had garnered Isabel’s frosty stare, and Alma had dropped the matter.” 7 likes
“I know what." Isabel reached under the end table, took out the game board, and rattled the Band-Aid box containing the letter tiles. "It's been a week-and-a-half since our last Scrabble game.” 3 likes