Start by marking “Hemingway's Key West” as Want to Read:
Hemingway's Key West

Hemingway's Key West

This vivid portrait reveals both Hemingway, the writer, and Hemingway, the hard-drinking, woman-chasing fighter and sportsman of legend. Hemingway's decade in Key West during the 1930s was his most productive. His only book set in the U.S., To Have and Have Not, takes place there. Meet his circle of friends (known as "the Mob"), his second wife, Pauline, and their two chil ...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Pineapple Press (first published May 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Hemingway's Key West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hemingway's Key West

Michael
Sep 23, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like reading about Hemingway more than I like reading Hemingway. And the more I read about him, the less I like him as a person. He was a bully, a womanizer, a poor sport. But he could write,
and he wrote in Key West.

And I really like Key West. My wife and I honeymooned there.
Reading this book was fun because I got to revisit old stomping grounds.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants a thumb-nail sketch of Papa in Key West. And it gives a decent walking tour of the city. Whether you
Rudy Waldner
Dec 22, 2015 Rudy Waldner rated it it was amazing
This book was terrific! Even though I'd been to Key West before and seen many of the Hemingway haunts, this book took me back and shared new insights. I enjoyed the back stories about the author and his crew. I enjoyed the suggested walking tour. In short, because of the perspective presented in the book by Mr. McIver, I'll be returning to Key West sooner than later, even though I've been there more than a few times before.
Elizabeth
Apr 02, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
An entertaining and engaging read. Hemingway's words are legendary as is his reputation, but this book offers a glimpse into what made the man tick. His suicide is often attributed to his bouts of depression and his "writerly" life. Knowing what we know now about head trauma, his numerous and severe concussions are highlighted in this book and showed me another side to the story.
Patty Gilson l
Aug 06, 2013 Patty Gilson l rated it really liked it
If you enjoy Hemingway and his connection to Key West, you will enjoy this book.
Becky
Dec 31, 2016 Becky rated it liked it
I received this book as a gift before my trip to Key West. It details Ernest Hemingway's time in Key West, The Bahamas, and Cuba. It's informative if not lyrical.
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
2.5 Stars, Not what I Expected

Referred by author and friend John Dos Passos as just the place for "ole Hem...to dry out his bones" after spending another brutally cold, wet winter in Paris's Left Bank, Ernest Hemingway and pregnant second wife Pauline landed in Key West in the spring of 1928. It was just supposed to be vacation stop before traveling to north to Pauline's ancestral home in Arkansas to give birth to their first child. But a delay in the arrival of the yellow Model A Ford roadster
Anilou
Jun 24, 2014 Anilou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Papa's Digs

Of all the books I could have chosen to shed light on one of the greatest American novelists, this was everything I hoped it would be. I'm deep into a collection of Hemingway's short stories, and this book shed light on its complicated author, his genius and insanity, his courage, his many loves, and his way of tackling life head on. Hemingway was hard living and a heavy drinker and shed one wife only to remarry in short order. On my list of vacation destinations, his Key West home is
Brian Findley
Nov 30, 2012 Brian Findley rated it it was ok
I received this book as a gift because of my interest in both Hemingway and Key West. It reads more as a series of short, poorly-written pamphlets that are redundant and thrown together. Sure, there were one or two things I picked up that I didn’t know before, but there are much better books on both subjects available. I would only recommend this to someone who had no knowledge of the subjects, needed a quick read and didn’t care about the quality of the writing.
Shaunaly ~  (A Book Away From An Episode Of Hoarders)
Not what I expected. Most everything noted in the book was your typical description of Hemingway, if you're a Hemingway fan that is. There was no depth to it and many aspects of his life were repetitive throughout the book which was the only thing in it that actually raised my eyebrow. Boring? Yes. But if you're unfamiliar with Hemingway and are inquisitive to learn of his life's journey and his ties to Key West, than you'd probably enjoy this very quick read.
Pam
Mar 17, 2012 Pam rated it it was ok
Bought his when visiting Key West and it was probably not the best choice. It was supposed to be factual and what was in it was interesting but there wasn't anywhere near the amount of information I thought there would be and it was written very badly with many repetitions (possibly to make it look like there was more to the book than there was).
Baglady
Jun 24, 2014 Baglady rated it it was ok
not a travelogue, not a biography, not really much of anything. Many redundant entries under different chapters, as if each was originally meant to stand alone and no one read the book after it was put together.
Chris
Feb 03, 2008 Chris rated it did not like it
This may be the worst book I've completely read. It lacks quality content. There's no cohesiveness; the author repeats himself over and over. How it made it to print is beyond me. Proves that any can write a book.
Steve
Feb 24, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it
A good reference. Yes, it backtracks and some information is repeated. True, the chronology is not correct and sometimes dates and wives seem out of place. Pull from this instead an essence of the man, not the minute imperfections of the written account.
Carol
Sep 25, 2014 Carol rated it it was ok
Learned a few things about Hemingway and Key West, but this book seems to be short stories pulled together.
Molly
Mar 24, 2015 Molly rated it liked it
I enjoyed the flashback to old Key West. It was a bit repetitive with some of the facts but it was sometimes helpful in lining up separate stories.
Patricia Baker
Jun 14, 2015 Patricia Baker rated it it was ok
short book about assorted facts regarding Hemingway and Key West. living here now and appreciate the street references. also the chronological events listed in back of the book
Stephanie Jacobson
Stephanie Jacobson rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2014
Sarah Ferguson
Sarah Ferguson rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Peggy
Peggy rated it liked it
May 25, 2014
Maureen
Maureen rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2012
Paul Armstrong
Paul Armstrong rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2016
Sylvia
Sylvia rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
sophie
sophie rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Alphawoman
Feb 15, 2016 Alphawoman rated it liked it
This book read like an assortment of essays regarding Hem's years in key west. very repetitive.
Christian Badali
Christian Badali rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2011
Jeanne Koenig
Jeanne Koenig rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2013
Brenda Yahraes
Brenda Yahraes rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2014
John Firth
John Firth rated it it was ok
Jan 13, 2016
Sophie
Sophie rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2014