Start by marking “Peace at Heart: An Oregon Country Life” as Want to Read:
Peace at Heart: An Oregon Country Life

Peace at Heart: An Oregon Country Life

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In 1987, Barbara Drake and her husband sold their home in Portland and moved to a farm in western Oregon's Yamhill Valley. In PEACE AT HEART, Drake reflects on ten years of country living and on the happiness that this rural landscape has brought her. She combines gentle humor, practical advice, and deep respect for the work and the land.
Published September 1st 1998 by Oregon State University Press

To ask other readers questions about Peace at Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peace at Heart

Life on a small sheep ranch/vineyard outside of Yamhill, Oregon is not for everyone but the author's essays convey her deep love for the quiet lifestyle and her joy in the little things. I wouldn't want to stick my hand inside a ewe to help her deliver a breech lamb in the middle of the night but I certainly enjoyed Barbara Drake's humorous take on it :) Her descriptions of savoring their homegrown wines while taking in the sunset over the Coast Range on summer evenings ALMOST made me want to em ...more
Lots of sheep stories; sheep dog stories; stuff like that, oh yeah and vineyard stories too. This book came out in 1998. I'm looking forward to her new memoir that just came out Nov. 3. Got a hold at the library.
Fantastic account of life and living in the Oregon country-side. Wonderful reflections.
I had the great fortune to have the author as one of my professors in college. I was fortunate not only because she was an excellent teacher, but because I otherwise might not have encountered this book. I read it once, years ago, and found it on my shelves again this Spring. It is a wonderful memoir and I encourage anyone who wants to immerse themselves in the successes and travails of the beginning farmer to pick it up.
Quiet and enjoyable story vignettes about life on a sheep farm in Oregon. Nothing flashy or terribly deep, but snippets of a peaceful and interesting life. As with all books like this, makes me want to pitch it all and go be a farmer.

"The warm light beckons from the barn on the hill. Being in it, with it. This is happiness. There is beauty everywhere and for the moment I am part of it."
It's not James Herriot, not as sappy you might say. It gives some concrete details to living a rural life in Oregon, a state to which I am somewhat attached. I appreciate her sense of humor.
Jenn marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Meg Mahoney
Meg Mahoney marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
V-ann Davis
V-ann Davis marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Hannah Maier
Hannah Maier marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Donovan marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Angela marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Lisa added it
Nov 18, 2014
Christie marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
John marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Brooke Parrott
Brooke Parrott marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Desiree marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Lauren Flesher
Lauren Flesher marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Patricia marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Vikki Payne
Vikki Payne marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Elle marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013