Peace at Heart: An Oregon Country Life

Peace at Heart: An Oregon Country Life

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  4 reviews
In 1987, Barbara Drake and her husband sold their home in Portland and moved to a farm in western Oregon's Yamhill Valley. In PEACE AT HEART, Drake reflects on ten years of country living and on the happiness that this rural landscape has brought her. She combines gentle humor, practical advice, and deep respect for the work and the land.
Published September 1st 1998 by Oregon State University Press

Kathy
Life on a small sheep ranch/vineyard outside of Yamhill, Oregon is not for everyone but the author's essays convey her deep love for the quiet lifestyle and her joy in the little things. I wouldn't want to stick my hand inside a ewe to help her deliver a breech lamb in the middle of the night but I certainly enjoyed Barbara Drake's humorous take on it :) Her descriptions of savoring their homegrown wines while taking in the sunset over the Coast Range on summer evenings ALMOST made me want to em...more
Carrie
I had the great fortune to have the author as one of my professors in college. I was fortunate not only because she was an excellent teacher, but because I otherwise might not have encountered this book. I read it once, years ago, and found it on my shelves again this Spring. It is a wonderful memoir and I encourage anyone who wants to immerse themselves in the successes and travails of the beginning farmer to pick it up.
Shannan
Quiet and enjoyable story vignettes about life on a sheep farm in Oregon. Nothing flashy or terribly deep, but snippets of a peaceful and interesting life. As with all books like this, makes me want to pitch it all and go be a farmer.

"The warm light beckons from the barn on the hill. Being in it, with it. This is happiness. There is beauty everywhere and for the moment I am part of it."
Rachel
It's not James Herriot, not as sappy you might say. It gives some concrete details to living a rural life in Oregon, a state to which I am somewhat attached. I appreciate her sense of humor.
Desiree
Desiree marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Lauren Flesher
Lauren Flesher marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Kendal
Kendal marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Vikki Payne
Vikki Payne marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Elle
Elle marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Rae
Rae is currently reading it
Jan 29, 2014
Charlene
Charlene marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Gary Cannon
Gary Cannon marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2013
Elyse
Elyse marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2013
Jennifer Rasmussen
Jennifer Rasmussen marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2013
Allyson
Allyson marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013
Jennifer Georgieff
Jennifer Georgieff marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2013
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2013
Corin
Corin marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Writing Poetry Morning Light: Stories from Yamhill Counthy Women in the engineering trades What We Say to Strangers Bees in Wet Weather