Start by marking “A fost odata intr-o vara (Anotimpurile inimii, #1)” as Want to Read:
A fost odata intr-o vara (Anotimpurile inimii, #1)

A fost odata intr-o vara (Seasons of the Heart #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  3,167 ratings  ·  158 reviews
Primul volum din seria Anotimpurile Inimii.

Cu siguranta, familia lui nu este una model – Josh stie asta. Dar cand bunicul impreuna cu unchiul Charlie incepe sa faca planuri pentru a-i gasi un sot matusii Lou – luand-o de acolo pe singura mama pe care o stiuse vreodata Josh – el isi da seama ca trebuie facut ceva. Cum isi va putea gasi drumul cand intreaga lui lume ameninta
Published 2010 by Casa Cartii (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about A fost odata intr-o vara, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A fost odata intr-o vara

Amanda
This was such a sweet book. I loved the fact that it was written from the perspective of a 12 year old boy. It was a nice change. You see the world through his eyes and it kind of took me back to the way I viewed the world at 12, even though this book takes place in the late 1800s/early 1900s. Joshua is a twelve-year old boy who lives with his 18 year-old aunt, his grandfather and his great-uncle and later, his great-grandfather. Joshua loves his little family and when he discovers that his gran ...more
H
This was a really fun, really tender book. I laughed out loud several times while listening. Josh has a really comfortable head to live in as he tells his story. He really makes you understand what he's feeling. I liked how this book brought God into it, too--and how it wasn't a bam! I believe sort of thing. How Josh really had to struggle with his feelings and belief and come to know God for himself. And I liked how it didn't feel preachy at all, or at least not to me. It was more of a personal ...more
Sarah's Reviews
Review written for and posted on Sarah's Reviews

Orphaned as a baby, Josh blames God for his parents' deaths and fears loosing anyone else. So when Aunt Lou comes of age to marry, Josh is determined to do everything in his power to keep her from leaving. First order of business: scarring off the suitors.

Set on a farm back when telephones were the new thing, Once Upon a Summer is a heartwarming story that deals with anger, sorrow, and God's love. Slow paced but not dull, this book is a light read
Joanie Bruce
Janette Oke’s books always make me cry, laugh, and get very emotional. This one was no different. It’s a cute story about a twelve year old boy, Josh, being raised by an unusual assortment of relatives: his grandfather, his Uncle, his Great-Grandfather and Aunt Lou (who is only eighteen—not much older than himself.) When the men in the family scheme to find a husband for Aunt Lou, Josh is scared it will break up the only family he’s ever known, and he fights it in every way possible. He blames G ...more
Sue
I was delighted to find this free for my Kindle, as I remembered enjoying it many years ago when I first read it. The story is told by the young teenage Josh who was orphaned at a young age, and lives on a farm with his grandfather, great-uncle, and Aunt Lou. Lou is only a few years older than he is, but runs the kitchen and household effectively, while Josh combines a zest for life with a great deal of hard work, both at school and on the farm where he has a lot of daily chores.

The arrival of
The Book Man
"You didn't have to be a ma and a pa and four kids to be a family. All you need was people living together and loving and helping on another. That's what made a family- blood-ties and love-bonds.
I was right proud to be a member of this family."

"Boys weren't supposed to cry-but I cried. I cried until my eyes ran dry, and then I jest laid and groaned."

"I don't understand all about God, but there's one thing that I'm as sure of as the fact that I live and breath. He loves us. He loves us completely
Valerie
Janette Oke is a wonderful writter. If you loved Little House on the Prarie and that's your kind of book, you will love all of Janette Oke's books! They are full of heartwarming stories and good values.
Sarah Jamison
I think that there are two ways you could go with this. You could be touched and pleasant and say it's a sweet story about a little boy and the family he loves across a very important summer. Or you could be over it and say it's a treacly story about an idealized past written in such overweening dialect it's barely readable. I'll come down in between.

The story itself is sweet-- Joshua is young, maybe 10 and concerned with the things of a 10 year old in what seems to be the late 19th or early 20t
Dianne Sidebottom
Daniel a school boy looks at how he perceives life at this time. He lives with 3 adult men n an 17yr old aunt who turns 18.
He is angry with God because he feels robbed of memories until Aunt Lou told him of her memories so he rethinks to bring up moments he can commit to memory. He switches off at church because he has heard the sermon before. A puppy was lost to him after one day but Gramps soon gets him another. Grandpa n Uncle Charlie try their hand at matchmaking n interfere when Lou finds h
Linda
This was a quick read and probably more appropriate for a younger reader - a great choice for a young boy of say fifth or sixth grade, I would say.
Josh is being raised by his grandfather, great uncle, and Auntie Lou when life begins to change .... His great grandfather moves in with the family and then to make matters MUCH WORSE Grandpa begins looking for a husband formAuntie Lou ! This book is true to Oke's traditional form and is full of family values and God's praise making it totally suitabl
Ruth
Sweet. Lovely Christian story.
Valerie (Val's Vicinity)
This is a cute and enjoyable read. Written from the perspective of 12 year old Josh, "Once Upon A Summer" covers the events that take place in his family during one summer and autumn.

Josh's parents died when he was a baby, but he has his Grandpa, great-uncle Charlie, and Aunt Louisa to take care of him. Although he sometimes laments the fact that he has no memories of his parents, Josh is very happy with his family and doesn't want anything to change. So when Josh's Great-Grandfather comes to li
Catherine
This book is significantly different from what I usually read, since it focuses on and is narrated by a young boy. I stumbled across this book when I was trying to find a book to listen to during a flight. I found the last of the series and ended up checking out this ebook as well, which worked out well since I had problems playing the audio version of the other book.
I enjoyed the chastity of its content, the hint of romance (for the narrator's aunt), and the Christian themes.
Meghan
I am not quite sure how I felt about it. It was very different than all the other Oke books I've read. It was in first person, which took a while to get used to after reading so many third person books for a while. The narrator was a typical twelve year old boy, so I couldn't really connect with him even though he felt authentic. The religious aspect was not as strong as all her other books, which was admittedly a nice change. However some parts that were religious felt out of place. The plot en ...more
Howard Katzoff
You must read this book!!

This was a tender story of love in a family. It had ups, downs and every thing in between. The characters were believable and extremely likeable. The young boy, who stays at the center of the action, was totally loveable and I was so hoping that things would work out for all of them. Read the book to learn their story.
Susan
Most of Oke's books are YA, but this one was told from the perspective of a 12 year old, from start to finish, so it didn't have the same satisfaction as her other books. Sweet story, sweet characters, but it was slow and didn't fit the craving. Still, a good Christian story with a sweet romance, and quality characters facing life challenges, and coming out on top.
Eileen Carter
Janette Oke has done it yet again. She writes from the heart with such tenderness that it makes you feel like you are there with the characters. There was tragedy in this story that brought about strength, understanding and a deeper meaning of what "family" is. I was moved by this book and as always when reading Janette Oke was impressed with the story line, plot and moral.
margaret Klein
Heat of the summer.

Jeanette One's book, Once Upon a Summer (Seasons of the Heart Book #1), is a tender heartfelt story of a young boy, and the challenges he go through living on a farm. Joshua is an orphan being raised by his father's family. During a difficult summer, Josua struggles with a very human concept, understanding God's love.
Duane
This is a lovely book, a Christian, pioneer, romance novel that was a pleasure to read. It was told from the perspective of a 12 year old boy, orphaned, being raised by his grandfather, his uncle, and his young aunt who is now his mother figure. It's filled with the hardships and the simple joys that you would find in that time and setting. Jeanette Oke is an excellent writer and she is at her best with this one.
Candice Ellis
Warm and heartfelt

I enjoyed reading this book. It reminded me of reading the Little House on the Prairie series. It was interesting to see how a thirteen year old boy that has went through so much grief was able to rebuild his relationship with God. The book was written and look forward to reading the next book.
Lisa
Once Upon a Summer. Loved this! From the perspective of a sweet boy, this book told the story of strong family bonds that made the hardships of every day old-time farm life easier, where God was first, morality and responsibilities were expected, and "community" was how you survived. Funny, sad, romantic...and faith throughout!
Rex Cluff
A sweet little story about a boy learning to face the vicissitudes of life. He is in a blended family of four generations who all love each other and through that love overcome the normal trials of life on the 19th century American prarie. The author blends in plenty of Christian sermonettes as the characters learn the lessons of life.
Joy
My uncles were farmers and we lived in farming communities when I was growing up. The farmers had trucks and tractors, but otherwise life was similar to the simple life portrayed in this book. This sweet story brought back some sweet childhood memories.

The end seemed rushed, especially after the leisurely pace of the rest of the book. Definitely set you up to want the next book.

This has been a free Kindle book for a long time.
Trine
A nice story about a boy who grows up with his grandfather and his aunt on a farm. I would have liked to give it four stars but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read it as a teenager. Had I it might with its gentle charm have become a favorite along the lines of Little House and Anne of Green Gables.
Diane Roberts
Review of once upon a summer

at first I wasn't going to read it when I saw the country misspellings. But I decided to go on a little more. It was more interesting
The part that I didn't like was this is supposed to be a young boy talking,a.d some of the vocabulary was too sophisticated.
Ashley Brown
I love books that the main character is a boy. It makes it fun,not that the main character being a girl doesn't. But many books out there,the main character is a girl,and I like books to be different than other books. This book is one of those books that you would never forget.
I loved this book!
Lynn Dyet
I really enjoyed this book. I love happy endings! ! It was easy reading and a very interesting story of an unusual family structure including: a grandfather and his father, brother, daughter and grandson. I believe I will enjoy the other three books in this series.
Sharon Cude
This is the first in a series of 4. I loved the story line. The writing was very descriptive but not too descriptive. I liked that it was written from a boy's view and that it included different generations of family. Sweet, clean, and sentimental book.
Beth
I have loved Janette Oke for decades. She tells stories of days gone by when life was so different. Multigenerational families working together and living on the farm struggling with daily life. There is a little too much religion for me but it was appropriate for those days. And there are lessons to be learned.
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • The Heart of Thornton Creek (Queensland Chronicles #1)
  • Treasures of the North (Yukon Quest, #1)
  • Daughter of Twin Oaks (A Secret Refuge, #1)
  • Where the Wild Rose Blooms (Rocky Mountain Memories #1)
  • The Upper Zoo
  • Waiting for Summer's Return (Ollenberger, #1)
  • The Honorable Imposter: 1620 (The House of Winslow)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
  • Angels Watching Over Me (Shenandoah Sisters, #1)
  • Distant Dreams (Ribbons of Steel, #1)
  • The Scent of Lilacs (The Heart of Hollyhill #1)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...
Love Comes Softly (Love Comes Softly, #1) When Calls the Heart (Canadian West #1) Love's Enduring Promise (Love Comes Softly #2) Love's Long Journey (Love Comes Softly #3) Love's Abiding Joy

“God loves you, that He plans for your good, not your hurt. “It’s true that things happen in life that seem wrong and are painful, but it isn’t because God likes to see us suffer. He wants to see us grow. He wants us to love Him, to trust Him.” 4 likes
“I don’t understand all about God, but there’s one thing that I’m as sure of as the fact that I live and breathe. He loves us. He loves us completely, and always keeps our good in mind.” 3 likes