Start by marking “The First North Americans: An Archaeological Journey” as Want to Read:
The First North Americans: An Archaeological Journey

The First North Americans: An Archaeological Journey

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This new history of North America is based mainly on archaeology, but
also on cutting-edge research in many scientific disciplines, from biology
and climatology to ethnohistory and high-tech chemistry and physics.
Brian Fagan describes the controversies over first settlement, which likely
occurred via Siberia at the end of the Ice Age, and the debates over the
routes used as hu...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Thames & Hudson (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The First North Americans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First North Americans

Don
Jul 29, 2011 Don rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: history
OK, this is probably my bad for selecting this... but Brian Fagan pretty well mailed this one in. He writes in the preface, "I wrote this book in the belief that the time was ripe for a short, narrative account of ancient North America..." Yet, the book never really narrates much of anything beyond a succession of declarative statements of what and when, while declining to delve into any meaningful who, why, and how. He also suggests that there are a lot of new discoveries and interpretations in...more
MikeFromQueens
I like the book a great deal for it's thoroughness and portrayal of the life and times of the first North Americans. It was great at revealing details of such deeply-rooted concepts, such as clovis points and maize farming. At the same time, I realized during the second half of the book that I was more interested in some specific groups, and not others - so it was easy for me to find my way to just those chapters for silo reading. And that is the only reason I did not rate this book higher: it i...more
Judith Crotty
Reading this book just before Columbus Day intensified its impact. Brian Fagan thoroughly traces the migration of the first humans across the Bering Land Bridge and through what became Canada and the United States as long as 30,000 years before Christopher Columbus "discovered America". I was preparing to facilitate a study group about immigration and most historical presentations only covered the period before the 15th century very briefly. I was searching something with more detail about migra...more
Ryan Mishap
Decent overview of the current views on the history of people in North America (although he doesn't include Mexico, strangely).

While it is fascinating how archaeologists and other scientists can stitch together stories from bits and pieces, it's frustrating the number times I read "Nobody knows..." or "perhaps they did this because...." Still, intriguing glimpses of the lives people lead for the last 15,000 years.
Bill Kubeck
Excellent overview of everything we know right now about the settlement of North America, from the first people to cross the Bering land bridge over 15,000 years ago, through to contact with the Europeans who came from the other direction.
HBalikov
Fascinating, well-researched and suitable for the lay reader. Recent discoveries indicate some real mysteries as to when North America was first explored and settled.
Patricrk patrick
pretty dry written with general reader in mind but really only for those who have a deep interest in the subject to begin with.
David
Slower going than I expected. Interesting overview of areas that I am not that familiar with.
Dave Schey
A very basic introduction to the peopling of North America. The photos and figures are great!
Jack
Dec 11, 2011 Jack added it
I did not finish it.
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Allan
Allan marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Kyle Neugebauer
Kyle Neugebauer marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Erendira
Erendira marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Christopher York
Christopher York marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Peter
Peter added it
Oct 14, 2013
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2013
Jason Mulligan
Jason Mulligan is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2013
Hubert
Hubert marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2013
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2013
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Brian Murray Fagan is an author of popular archaeology books and emeritus professor of Anthropology at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

Prof. Fagan is an archaeological generalist, with expertise in the broad issues of human prehistory. He is the author or editor of 46 books, including seven widely used undergraduate college texts.

Additional information at Wikipedia.
More about Brian M. Fagan...
The Little Ice Age: How Climate Made History 1300-1850 Cro-Magnon: How the Ice Age Gave Birth to the First Modern Humans The Long Summer: How Climate Changed Civilization The Great Warming: Climate Change and the Rise and Fall of Civilizations The Rape of the Nile: Tomb Robbers, Tourists, and Archaeologists in Egypt (Revised and Updated)