Start by marking “Out of Bounds” as Want to Read:
Out of Bounds

Out of Bounds

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Out of Bounds: Inside the NBA's Culture of Rape, Violence, and Crime is a searing indictment of professional basketball players who live in a world where criminal laws and social norms don't exist, a world where they are given license to act above the law.

On the court, they dazzle us with their spectacular physical feats. They generate millions of dollars of revenue for th
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Out of Bounds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of Bounds

Karla
Jan 17, 2011 Karla rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one.
I am about 3/4 of the way through this book and doubt that I will read anymore. I read Jeff Benedict's Little PInk House and No Bone Unturned and really enjoyed both of those books. I felt that the research done supported what was written in the two books. He was able to interview both sides of the cases and, although you knew which side he supported, it felt like you got both perspectives. Not true in this book.

Out of Bounds feels like a bad tabloid magazine from the very beginning. He begins
Radostinski
Overall, the author makes a good use of police records and interviews to prove his point, suggested by the book's title.
William Johnson
When I was finished reading this book, my initial feelings were of anger, but not towards the material but to the author. I felt like I was being manipulated by author Jeff Benedict because he had such an odd view on the NBA. While, with time to think, I realize the man is smart and armed with references, his oppressive subjectivity makes Out of Bounds one of the most heavily researched opinion pieces in history. . .and the opinions, while well written, seem to exist in a small world inhabited b ...more
Sean
Now I am a highly suggestible sort, so consider that when reading this review.

I have always been a huge sports fan, all four "major team sports" (if the NHL is still major?) in America, as well as any combat sport, will always catch my intention.

That was until I read this book chronicling the off the court behavior of most (well %40) of the NBA's players. The author looks at the numbers of sexual and/or violence related charges (he let the drug charges slide) that are a matter of public record
Outi
Well researched and cited book about crimes in NBA. I must admit, I don't follow basketball, so most of these stars were unknown to me. I don't have an opinion about them outside this book and this book makes the whole league look bad.
Stephanie
I read this in the Summer of 2004. I thought it was a really interesting book. It came out about the time Kobe Bryant was in that mess in his hotel room.
Jeff
Compelling reading. This scratches the surface of what permeates the mind of some of our favorite hoop heroes. The story of the Gold Room is amazing...Patrick Ewing, whatchu doin in the shady FLA titty-bars!?!
Abigail
Boring and kind of preachy near the end.

Wholly depressing look at the realities of violence in the NBA--though an interesting subject, this particular book on it was poorly written.
Andrew
Any alleged NBA fan should read this book, in order to be aware of the type of criminal organization you support.
Erin O'Riordan
Not an easy book to read, but an important one. I think it should be taught in PE classes to all student athletes.
Danielle
Was an interesting read. Definitely made me dislike a number of the NBA players!
Robert
It was a little graphic in parts, but it was something I found pretty interesting.
Brett
You'll never watch an NBA basketball game the same way again.
Robnette
Robnette marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Skylar
Skylar marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Sunaina
Sunaina marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Tracy Q.
Tracy Q. marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Mike Archibald
Mike Archibald marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jeff Benedict conducted the first national study on sexual assault and athletes. He has published three books on athletes and crime, including a blistering exposé on the NFL, Pros and Cons: The Criminals Who Play in the NFL, and Public Heroes, Private Felons: Athletes and Crimes Against Women. He is a lawyer and an investigative journalist who has written five books.
More about Jeff Benedict...
The System: The Glory and Scandal of Big-Time College Football The Mormon Way of Doing Business: Leadership and Success Through Faith and Family Little Pink House: A True Story of Defiance and Courage No Bone Unturned: The Adventures of a Top Smithsonian Forensic Scientist and the Legal Battle for America's Oldest Skeletons Poisoned: The True Story of the Deadly E. Coli Outbreak That Changed the Way Americans Eat