Start by marking “Best Friends for Frances” as Want to Read:
Best Friends for Frances

Best Friends for Frances (Frances the Badger)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  2,749 ratings  ·  77 reviews
Frances doesn't think her younger sister Gloria can be her best friend. Besides, Albert is Frances's best friend. But when Albert has a no-girls baseball game, Franes sets out to prove to Albert a thing or two about friendship - and what girls can do. Along the way, Frances discovers that sisters can indeed be friends... maybe even best friends.
Library Binding, 42 pages
Published February 1st 2009 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Best Friends for Frances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best Friends for Frances

Megan
Summary: At the beginning of Best Friends for Frances, Frances and her younger sister Gloria have a rivalry. Gloria wants nothing more than to spend time and be friends with her big sister, but Frances wants to be friends with Albert. When Albert rejects Frances as his best friend because she is a girl, Frances decides that maybe Gloria wouldn't be such a bad best friend after all. By the end of the story, Frances realizes that a sister can be a best friend, and that she can have other best frie ...more
Carola
"It would ruin my day to have to explain it."
Josie Lynn
My little sister purchased the print and audio versions of this book at the book fair when we were little kids. We read and listened to it incessantly (well, we stopped to eat, sleep, and go to school), but most of our other waking hours for about a week or so were consumed with Best Friends for Frances by Russell Hoban (writer) and Lillian Hoban (illustrator).

Frances and Albert are best friends. They are also badgers who do not wear clothes, but that is completely irrelevant and only an issue i
Connie
This is not the most sympathetic story, with people excluding other people and only including them to get back at their OTHER friends, but it is pretty realistic to little-kid politics. Well, if you ignore the badgers, anyway.

First Frances won't play with her "baby" sister, then Albert won't play with girls, then Frances and her sister won't play with boys... oy! Luckily, everybody ends up realistically happy at the end.
Christina Hyde
This book centers around a young badger named Frances who's still struggling with what it means to be both a friend and sister. This book is one of many Frances books and I didn't enjoy it too much.

This book was extremely wordy. I got lost on what the take away message was because there was so much talking and singing going on in the book. The author didn't have a clear tone or message that I could see, maybe "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" but this was not clear from the boo
Amanda
Another Frances book! Again these are wonderful read aloud books for small children as well as great books for beginning readers. I really love these books because we get to see the characters change through the books, unlike most children's books where baby Gloria would have remained an infant forever, here we see he getting older. Frances feels like she is being excluded by her good friend Albert when he has a boys only baseball game, and she thinks her little sister Gloria is too small to pla ...more
Sunny
I loved Frances as a child and 20 years later, I still love to read this collection
Laura Lee
Gloria, Francis's little sister, wants to play with her. But Francis thinks she's too little. When the boys she wants to play with leaves Francis out, Francis's turns to Gloria to be best friends. They have a big outing without any boys but they finally let Albert in. Cute.
Kathy
One of my most favorite and memorable books from childhood. Don't know why these books have always stuck with me when I've forgotten so many others; but for some reason I could always relate to the Frances series.
Kathy
Frances tells her sister that she is too little to play baseball with, that it would take too long to get her up to speed. She goes over to Albert's house, but then Albert is hosting a boys-only baseball game and Frances is told she can't come. So she plans a Best Friends Outing No Boys event with her little sister. She makes a sign, packs lunches, games, and prizes in a wagon. Then Albert comes over wanting to play. A good story about friends, sisters, and not leaving people out, and Frances ad ...more
Brendan Howard
I adored the Hobans' books when I was a kid, and I still love some of them. But this one is sloooooow. It's even got a girl-centric theme, but nope, Zahara was bored.
Michelle Cropper
I think that the ending of the book had a good moral, but I don't like the name calling in the book.
Margaret
We have both an ex-library book edition of the picture book as well as the 6x9 early reader I Can Read! Level 2 of Best Friends for Frances and they are mostly the same outside of overall book size, font size and image size. We would read both interchangeably I think.

This adventure for Frances has to deal with friendships, both with her sister and her neighbor and friend that is a boy Albert. Learning to be fair, and show others how their words and actions make her feel this book teaches a good
KayCee K
This is a sweet book! I love the draws and story line. Great book!
Caitlyn
Best Friends for Frances is a picture book that shows Frances and Gloria becoming best friends. At first, Frances thought Gloria was too small to play baseball but after Albert wouldn't play with her she played with Gloria. In the end, Gloria was allowed to play baseball with Frances, Albert, and Harold. The pictures in this book confirm meaning. An issue that could be raised within this book is the fact of girls playing baseball and participating in things that boys do. I would use this book fo ...more
Julie
Shows that even your siblings can be your best friends.
Tiffany
My five year old said this is a five star book. :)
Betty
Very nice. A little preachy maybe, but still good.
Elanor Jane
All by herself!
Bill Sannwald
A very lovely book and pretty lengthy, too. It was from an era when kids didn't need constant stimulation to hold their attention. I'm glad that Frances became friends with Gloria, as I've been trying to let my son know it's good to be friends with his younger sister. I was a little wary singing Frances's songs aloud, though, as she's kind of rude, what with calling Albert "fat" and all. Speaking of which, did Bill Cosby jack Fat Albert from Best Friends for Frances? Russell Hoban missed a good ...more
Jessica Lowery
Frances excludes her little sister Gloria at first, but when she is excluded by boys in her neighborhood she decides to make a best friends club with Gloria and in the end the boys join it too. Hoban does a great job of broaching the dramas of childhood friendship, including sibling friendship and friendships between boys and girls. The scenarios seem very accurate and relatable. One thing that might bother some readers is the fact that Frances engages in name-calling and calls her friend Albert ...more
Rachael
This is one of my favorite Frances books for two reasons:
1) It reminds me of the friendship that my little sister and I had
2) It is the kind of friendship I hope my daughters have. In fact, when I was reading it to the two of them a few days ago, I tried to subtly brainwash them by making encouraging statements like "Oh look! It's best friend sisters! Just like you!"

and a third reason...like all Frances books, it has great little songs and descriptions of food. I always get so hungry reading the
Skylar Burris
I liked the sibling friendship angle of this book because my daughter and son are so close, but the "no boys"/"no girls" attitude completely through my daughter for a loop. Why wouldn't boys want to play with girls all the time and vice versa? The gender division is not something she has yet been faced with in real life, because, at four, she likes superhero wrestling as much as tea parties. She seemed to like the book, but she didn't seem to really get it.
Kirei
Frances is friends with her sister and a boy. They have a picnic lunch together. There is a bit of "no girls allowed" so then the girls say "no boys allowed" but of course they give this all up in the end and everyone plays together.

There is a "Fat Albert" reference. This book was written 1969. I checked the internet and it said Bill Cosby put Fat Albert into his comedy, and then there was a tv show in 1969. The real cartoon did not start until 1972.
Kathie
I have four grown children and I read to all of them beginning when I got them home from the hospital. When you choose a children's book, expect to read it at least 100 times if it's really good. Kids don't get board of books they like. For this reason, it was essential that *I* liked the books enough to read them over and over. Any book by either Russell or Lillian Hoban is endlessly readable and funny.
Jessica
Such a sweet series...my mom used to read these books to me when I was little. There was always a "moral of the story" of course but it was written with such a sweet and innocent style that I begged her to read them over and over again.

When Albert and his buddies have a "no girls" baseball game, Frances and her sister organize a "Best Friends Outing -- No Boys". In the end is a great lesson about friendship.
Christine Berger
I like the themes of making your own fun, compromising, and learning from friends. While it could be a discussion point for older kids, with my preschooler I edit the three instances where Frances name-calls her friend "fat." I'm not in a hurry to introduce her to the idea of teasing about appearances and I don't think the story loses anything from the omission.
Holly
This, along with the other Frances books, teach very straightforward lessons but in a format that is relevant to children. They are drawn to the animal characters and the relatable, easy to follow story line. The language is simple and moves quickly, and the rhymes and songs that Frances makes up are humorous and add to the message in the story.
Heidi
Always loved the illustrations for Frances books. This one is sweet in the sisters learning to do things together. My sister was always one of my very best friends--at least for as long as I can remember! Not what I'm looking for in my RA request, but always fun to read another Frances book, as well as another book in the friendship subject.
  • Grasshopper on the Road
  • Lyle and the Birthday Party
  • A Kiss for Little Bear
  • Good Night, Little Bear
  • The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush

Frances the Badger (7 books)
  • Bedtime for Frances
  • A Baby Sister for Frances
  • Bread and Jam for Frances
  • A Birthday for Frances
  • A Bargain for Frances
  • Egg Thoughts and Other Frances Songs
Bread and Jam for Frances Bedtime for Frances A Bargain for Frances Riddley Walker A Baby Sister for Frances