Start by marking “After the Rain” as Want to Read:
After the Rain

After the Rain (Phil Broker #5)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Headlights off, a panel truck drives by moonlight across an open field, following tracks that have been there for decades ...

Nina Pryce and her husband, Phil Broker, couldn't have more opposite views of the military. Broker's loyalty to the men he served with in Vietnam is matched only by his certainty that they shouldn't have been there in the first place. Nina, though, i
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about After the Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Rain

Rob1109
Simply awful.

From time to time as I walk around the library I’ll pick up a book by an author I’m unfamiliar and try him or her out. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I recently tried Chuck Logan’s “After the Rain.’ This time not only didn’t it work out but I wasted 2 hours out of my life I’ll never have back.

I respect all authors. Or try to. I try to find something positive but in this case, it was impossible. This book was just total garbage.

I am a big fan of this genre. Some of my f
Ed
#5 in the Phillip Broker series. Finalist 2005 Shamus Award for Best Novel. Broker continues this action packed series after his wife dropped his daughter off in ND at the end of Vapor Trail (2003).

Phillip Broker arrives in ND to pick up his daughter, Kit. He finds that his wife and her Delta team members are there to intercept a nuclear shipment by terrorists and wanted to use Phil and Kim as cover. The bad guys don't buy the cover and figure Nina as a cop from the outset. A cat and mouse game
Robert
The character Phil Broker gets sucked into an investigation that his wife is running on some terrorists up north when his wife uses their 7 year old daughter as part of her cover. Number 5 in the series, I somehow skipped this one and went to the last one. I am glad I caught this and did a bit of backtracking. Logan has written a great series filled with some really interesting characters and this one is no exception. This wife, part time at that, of Brokers is a real strange one. Sometimes you ...more
Aaron Goodyear
This book is the best of the Phil Broker series. By now if you have read the books in order (I made the mistake of not doing that) you know these are complex and interesting characters. This plot is original and believable all while being unbelievable at the same time. Great descriptions of the Upper Midwest / Southern Canadian landscapes.

This was actually the first book in the series I read, someone had a reviewers copy and it looked interesting so I read it. I am about to reread it after read
Dorothy
I had never read anything by this author but the action kept you interested in finding out what was going to happen. About Nina Price & Phil Broker, husband & wife, who are trying to find the H bomb that they were told is going to explode in Northern USA.
Mark
Knight-errant Phil Broker and estranged special forces wife Nina Pryce become involved in anti-terrorist activiteis on the northern plains...Maj. Price and her group also involve their child Kit for window dressin in the undercover operation...It all takes off on a page turner with plenty of twists and fascinating characters on both sides...I particularily enjoy the local flavor developed in the characters personally having deep midwestern roots
Bob
This isn't a new novel, but it's a pretty good yarn about terrorism coming over the border from Canada into, of all places, North Dakota, to cause an explosion near a nuclear power plant near the Twin Cities in Minnesota.
Good characters you'll care about, and that'll keep the pages turning.
Fair warning: It's more than just a little violent.
Ben
Jan 25, 2008 Ben rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those that like Jack Higgins, or Ian Flemming books
A thriller envolving a terrorist plot between a homicidal maniac and lone terrorist, with plans to blow up a nuclear reactor. Vietnam Vet and retired undercover police officer Phil Broker must rescue the country and his family, fast paced action, and subtle twists that make you turn the page in anticipation.
Bart
I get a little tired of marital discord between crie fiction protagonists and their variously estranged spouses. And the relationship between Broker and Nina has always struck me as a semi-incredible one.

But in this book Logan plays it to good and relevant effect.

This is a good read.
Sally
I read Homefront and loved it so much that I then decided to work my way through the rest of Chuck Logan's books. This was a really interesting book with some extremely creepy characters. I definitely plan to read another.
Laraine
The 5th book in the excellent Phil Broker series did not disappoint. I really like this author and his books. I'd rate this book a solid 4 - 4 1/2 stars.
John
Good book, four stars
Ruth Chun
Ruth Chun marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Loisa
Loisa marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
David Krakar
David Krakar marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Katie Mahoney
Katie Mahoney marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Jane Kingston
Jane Kingston marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Kristyn Cox
Kristyn Cox marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Leslie Pauley
Leslie Pauley marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Howard Forman
Howard Forman marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
  • Hard Rain (Vin Cooper, #3)
  • The Rules of Silence
  • The Cabal (Kirk McGarvey, #14)
  • Come as You Are
  • Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #2)
  • The Invisible (Ryan Kealey, #3)
  • Intercept (Mack Bedford, #2)
  • Cold Choices (Jerry Mitchell, #2)
  • Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)
  • Internecine
  • A Small Case of Murder (Joshua Thornton Mystery #1)
  • The Berlin Conspiracy (Jack Teller, #1)
  • Fatal Conceit (Butch Karp, #26)
  • A Blind Eye (Frank Corso, #3)
  • Try Fear
  • The Devil's Light
  • Deadman's Bluff (Tony Valentine #7)
  • Man In The Middle (Sean Drummond, #6)
Chuck Logan is an author of crime drama and veteran of the Vietnam War, who lives with his wife and daughter in Stillwater, Minnesota.

He is best known for his series of novels featuring the character Phil Broker, an ex-Minnesota police officer. Logan's novels include Hunter's Moon, Absolute Zero, Vapor Trail, Homefront, and After the Rain. Homefront is now a major motion picture starring James Fra
More about Chuck Logan...

Phil Broker (6 books)
  • The Price Of Blood (Phil Broker, #1)
  • The Big Law (Phil Broker, #2)
  • Absolute Zero (Phil Broker, #3)
  • Vapor Trail (Phil Broker, #4)
  • Homefront (Phil Broker, #6)
Absolute Zero (Phil Broker, #3) Homefront (Phil Broker, #6) The Price Of Blood (Phil Broker, #1) Vapor Trail (Phil Broker, #4) The Big Law (Phil Broker, #2)