Christians, Blasphemers, and Witches: Afro-Mexican Ritual Practice in the Seventeenth Century (Dialogos Series)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  3 reviews

The decline of the native population following the Spanish conquest of New Spain in 1521, among other factors, led to an increased demand for African slaves to add to the labor force and bolster the colonial economy. Approximately two hundred thousand Africans were imported into Mexico from Spain and from West and West Central Africa during the course of the slave trade.

Th

Published September 16th 2007 by University of New Mexico Press

To ask other readers questions about Christians, Blasphemers, and Witches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christians, Blasphemers, and Witches

Joseph
In college I registered for a class in which this was required reading, but subsequently dropped that class. Still, I had read a few parts, and years later decided to reread the whole thing.

Overall, it's pretty interesting stuff. I don't think this work is going to turn any sector of the academic world upside down, but it is an interesting look an element of history that most people do not look at in detail.

In a nutshell, Bristol looks at a variety of records and constructs a description of lif...more
Sean Mccarrey
This book, which covers the religious aspects of Afro-Mexicans during the colonial era of Mexico, was a well-written and fascinating piece. However, I did have a few issues. One issue I had was the lack of a firm conclusion. I felt as though the structure of the book had me lost as to what points the author was really trying to make. The issues of individual devotion and Confraternity were quite interesting and written about in Lauderie like way, but I wasn't sure what connections I was supposed...more
Nessette Falu
It is a good resource to learn more about Afro-Mexican history (though religious) which is faint information in African diaspora conversations.
Lisa Munro
Lisa Munro marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2013
Damon Golden
Damon Golden marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2013
Paulm
Paulm is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2013
Joanna
Joanna added it
Mar 19, 2011
Ginger
Ginger marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2009