Start by marking “The Mercenary's Price” as Want to Read:
The Mercenary's Price

The Mercenary's Price

Being a national treasure wouldn't be such a curse if she only knew she could trust him.

Lady Eliza Harcourt, the queen's seer, is in danger of being kidnapped. To avoid such a fate, she will be whisked to safety during a royal masked ball. But when the man doing the whisking turns out to be Thomas Blackstone, she's no longer sure fleeing is a good idea.

Rejected by Eliza s
Published February 5th 2011 by C.J. Archer

To ask other readers questions about The Mercenary's Price, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mercenary's Price

Tara Chevrestt
Decent read, but shorter than I expected as the last 25 percent is an excerpt from another book.

It's about a woman who is considered a national treasure because she has visions that could aid or endanger the Queen's fleet. It depends on who has the information or I should say, who has HER.

Her spurned lover appears as a rescuer/bodyguard of sorts and as their feelings of passion rise, it becomes alarmingly apparent that the dude may not be rescuing her, but working against her... and all for mone
Brianna Merrill
Feb 16, 2011 Brianna Merrill rated it really liked it
This was a great little novella. I have always been a sucker for Historical Fiction but it has been ages since I read a Historical Romance. I was hesitant at first but I am very glad I read this book. The author was well versed in the language and customs of the time era her characters lived in. C.J. Archer painted a wonderful picture and I could envision the book as if it were a movie. I enjoyed the theme of redemption and a second chance to make love work. Of course the ending was predictable ...more
Rea
For a novella this was an interesting story with a fair amount of development.

The first paragraph left me a little wary as the protagonist immediately brings up "that summer seven years ago", which I felt should not have been introduced as of the first few lines. There's a lot of exposition but considering how much story is written in to under 30,000 words, I guess there had to be.

The characters were well written and nicely rounded.

The language is, at times, rather clunky as it seems to wave bet
Julia
Mar 10, 2012 Julia rated it it was ok
This was a fun read, but the ending was rather abrupt. The story was totally about Eliza's adventure as she is taken from the court by Thomas. Although her visions are purportedly the reason for her importance, they seemed like an afterthought in the story. I would like to know what happened to the characters after the events in the story. It seemed like a set up for a larger series.

The e-book version contains a substantial excerpt from Honor Bound, which looks interesting and appears to be a fu
Kasey
As far as short stories go this was really good. For the length the character development was great. I'm a big fan of second chance love stories and of historical romance this had both and a little supernatural to top it off. Although I may not completely agree with our heroine's view point from the hero and heroine's history I love that it seemed pretty accurate for the time. She was young, foolish, and a woman in a time where women's opinions did not count for much. I love that they both made ...more
Verna Clay
Jun 26, 2011 Verna Clay rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
C.J. Archer is an exceptional writer. I enjoyed this sweet romantic novella with a touch of paranormal. Immediately, I believed Eliza and Thomas were meant for each other, with fate intervening to keep them apart. However, the author did an exceptional job of making me wonder about the true motive for Thomas helping Eliza, which is later revealed. The sword fight scenes are fun. Because the story is a novella it is fast paced, which is to be expected. I would have liked to have known more about ...more
Alexia Chantel
Jun 05, 2011 Alexia Chantel rated it liked it
A sweet novella about a second chance. The characters are young and foolish but in love. Mistakes are made and they are separated for seven years, during which time they both mature and come to realize what they gave up. When political circumstances bring them face to face again both have to let go of the past and forgive to be able to find love again.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Eliza is an English lady who is wanted by the Spanish because she has visions of a battle where many spanish ships are burned and sunk. A former beau of hers is taking her, she thinks, to safety, but she soon realizes Thomas is working for the enemy. A small battle ensues to save her, and she takes control of her own future. Good read!!
Amy
Aug 30, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, historical, 2012
2.5stars Short novella that was free to download to my kindle. I liked the writing but felt that too much was trying to be fit into too short a story. I would happily try another book by the author.
Judy M.
Jun 27, 2016 Judy M. rated it liked it
Too short, would be an excellent tale if the time frame started when Eliza was a child and then ended with this ending.
Jo Notary
Jan 23, 2016 Jo Notary marked it as to-read
67pgs
Charles V.
May 20, 2011 Charles V. rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this, but wish it had been longer.
Alyssa (The Shady Glade)
Short and sweet. Not much happens, but it was a fun read for as short as it was. The ending was kind of abrupt, but oh well.
Regina
Jan 14, 2014 Regina rated it it was amazing
A wonderful bite-sized piece of history, romance, intrigue, and adventure. I really enjoyed this novella, and would recommend it to any lover of historical fiction/historical romance.
Sarah Peralta
Jun 21, 2012 Sarah Peralta rated it liked it
This was a really fun novella. The story line was great and it developed pretty well. A nice, quick read.
Elena
Elena rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2012
Dayna
Dayna rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Maria Waltner
Maria Waltner rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2012
Ashley Mayer
Ashley Mayer rated it it was ok
Aug 08, 2012
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
May 18, 2013
Rodelene
Rodelene rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
Addie Mcgarity
Addie Mcgarity rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2013
Laura rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Fran
Fran rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2012
Megan Lopez
Megan Lopez rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2011
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2014
Capsfit Robinson
Capsfit Robinson rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2012
Mj Islas
Mj Islas rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2014
Natalie Hein
Natalie Hein rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 24, 2015 10:57PM
  • Wicked Temptations
  • A Twist of Fate
  • The Unexpected Roommate
  • Under a Midnight Moon (Werekind #2.5)
  • Siren's Song (Bandit Creek, #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows
  • Under Construction
  • A Highlander for the Holidays
  • Seduced
  • Innocent Deceptions
  • Her Proper Scoundrel
  • Risking Eternity (Timeshifters #1)
  • Hot Under the Collar (Lords of Lancashire #2)
  • A Steel Town (A Gateway to Love, #3)
  • Forever Mine (The Rumor, #0.5)
  • Liberty Belle
  • Feral Attraction
  • One True Love
C.J. Archer has loved history and books for as long as she can remember and feels fortunate that she found a way to combine the two. She spent her early childhood in the dramatic beauty of outback Queensland, Australia, but now lives in suburban Melbourne with her husband, two children and a mischievous black & white cat named Coco.

While she has written historical romance in the past, she now
More about C.J. Archer...