The Adventures of Abdi

The Adventures of Abdi (Five Books for Children #4)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Long, long ago, in a land far, far away, a little boy named Abdi was given a very big task -- to deliver the most precious necklace in the world to the queen.

Come along with Abdi on his fantastic journey into a magical world of ruthless rogues, savage snakes, and deadly dungeons, where he remembers the wise words of his mentor: "Everything we have been given in life is alw...more
Published November 4th 2004 by Callaway (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Abdi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Abdi

Monica
I thought there were so many better options for the direction this story could have gone. The pictures were frustrating and bizarre. There are pages with no words and then pages with no pictures, even up to four pages in a row without pictures. I tried to come up with an advantageous reason why this was done, but I couldn't. None of the full spreads of illustrations looked necessary to justify picture-less pages. When Abdi meets the King his turban is done carelessly where it really looks more l...more
Tasneem  Zafer
"the power of certainty is without limits. In life, there will be many tests you will have to face. You must hold on to the belief that everything that happens is for the best."

A very entertaining tale of a young boy named abdi who was an orphan raised by a a great jeweller named Eli . Abdi goes on a journey to deliver the precious diamond Necklace to the king's palace for the queen's birthday. Along the way abdi's robbed by two Bedouins who steel the real necklace and replace it with a real sna...more
Sam
I like the message of this book...to be certain that everything is for the best but I found the plot lacking. Also, there were many pages without pictures, which, for this type of children's book is kind of a shame. If you are looking for a children's book by Madonna and you have a girl than I would suggest you pick up "The English Roses" which is done much better.
Nichole
True to form, Madonna produced a wonderful story, both in content as well as in illustration.

In this story, “Abdi is a little boy who has been given a very big task. He is to deliver the most precious necklace in the world – made by Eli, his teacher and master jeweler – to the queen. Along the way he is robbed in the desert, thrown in a dungeon, and has a surprising encounter with a snake. But no matter what obstacles he faces, Abdi never gives up hope, guided my Eli’s wisdom that everything tha...more
Gina
Hated it- enjoyed a five pack cd of Madonna's books on audio and they started out strong, but each one got progressively weaker. This one tried to hard and just wasn't able to produce a powerful message at all.
The worst in the series so far. The story wasn't very engaging and there is no explanation whatsoever why the snake turns into a necklace. The two stars are for the, once again, amazing artwork.
Sweetdhee
pinjem punya Mei..
Ceritanya bagus...tapi ga sedahsyat Mr Peabody's Apple..
Dari tiga buku yang dipinjemin Mei, paling suka Mr Peabody deh..

Buku yang ini gambar2nya yang kereeeeeeeeeeeeeeen...
aneh bin ajaib bin ga masuk akal..

Plus dari gambar itu rasa2nya ada yang dikenal deh...
Ilustrasi waktu Abdi nemuin raja, ada dua binatang yang dideket raja..
Bermuka macan bersyarap rajawali..
Langsung inget bab pengantarnya Muhammad, Lelaki Penggenggam Hujan..
Ada crta ttg 4 binatang aneh di sebuah naskah kuno...more
Karin
Wow Madonna!My granddaughters love these books not so much for the "... and the moral of the stoy is...",but for the way they are told and the fabulous fabulous illustrations.actually I like them just as much mostly because the writer is one of my heroes. (;
Cindy
The amazing illustrations of Olga & Andrej Dugin are so lovely - they bring life to the pages of Abdi, and transport the reader to a mysterious kingdom of desert and caravans. Madonna writes another lesson book, about how believing in things makes them real. As with her previous kids books, it's a good lesson, although less clear than Mr Peabody or even the Roses. On story alone, this is just barely a 3 star read - the illustrations lift and transport it to 4 stars though!
Jack Kirby and the X-man
I am usually wary of celebrity authors...

However Modonna has done a fabulous job with this tale.

The husband-and-wife team of Olga Dugina and Andrej Dugin have created intricate and just-a-little over-the-top illustrations that really compliment and enhance this plot-driven story.
Children's Literature Project
No DRA or guided reading level available.

Abdi works for a jeweler and gets the important task of delivering a necklace to the queen. Along the way, he gets robbed and thrown in prison. Abdi later discovers that the jeweler's necklaces are magical.

This book is great for 3rd grade.
Tiwik
Madonna...yang selalu penuh sensasi itu ternyata bikin buku anak-anak.
Ceritanya sih biasa saja, tapi yang paling aku suka adalah ilustrasi gambarnya yang menarik

Jadi...kalo buku hardcover dengan gambar berwarna hanya 7.500 perak ya murah bianget toh...
Hilary
The illustrations were intriguing. I can see a child returning to this book more than once. Imaginative story -- good ambience.
Linda
Feb 17, 2010 Linda added it
Another amazing story by madonna. My girls personally like the audio. She is a great story teller for kids.
Jeni
I love this book for its' beautifully intense illustrations, not so much it's writer!
Madkropotkin
The story was decent, but the art was amazing. I really enjoyed the art, superb.
Missy
Not my favorite of Madonna's books for children, but it still has a good message.
Helna
ilustrasi corak pattern di tiap halamannya bagus-bagus :)
Gabichelle  Uchiha
Great book for all ages. Kind of hard to read for lil kids.
Yoan
waw....i love the illustration!... of course the story too.
Melissa
Aug 19, 2007 Melissa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody
Shelves: read-in-2007
This was my favorite book of Madonna's.
Karin
Karin added it
Aug 27, 2014
Nonik
Nonik marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Madonna Louise Ciccone is an American pop singer-songwriter. Through her music career, she has also gained some notability as a dancer, record producer, film producer, actress, author and a fashion icon. She is a multiple Grammy- and Golden Globe-award winner, known for her ambitious music videos, stage performances and use of sexual and religious themes in her work.

More about Madonna...
The English Roses Mr. Peabody's Apples Sex Friends for Life! Too Good to Be True