The Battling Bands (Knights of the Lunch Table, #3)

The Battling Bands (Knights of the Lunch Table #3)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The Knights seek fame and fortune by entering a talent show!
A battle is looming at Camelot Middle School--a battle of the bands, that is! Artie, Wayne, and Percy enter the talent show seeking fame and fortune. But only one of them plays an instrument: Percy. And he plays the tuba. Their only hope of winning is finding the long-lost "Singing Sword," the fabled instrument o...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Scholastic, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Battling Bands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Battling Bands

Samantha
My favorite volume in the Knights of the Lunch Table series. We get a little bit more heart and character development with this episode. Artie and his friends start a band in hopes of winning the annual talent show. He struggles with the unwanted affections of a fellow classmates, but finds that there's more to her than meets the eye when the two are assigned as lab partners.

Lots of action, some school myth back story fun, plot twists , and cool character ties make this a highlight in the series...more
Jennifer Rayment
Jake's Review. Love it when you bring home these awesome books to read. This one is hilarious and I liked the story so much I didn't want to put it down. My favorite character is wing cause he is good at video games like me. I think Brian would like this book too because it is more like a comic book than a chapter book. The illustrations are funny too. I liked the part with the lunch ladies that was hilarious. Can't wait to read more of the Knights books.

Jake's Rating: 10/10

Mom's Review: : Adora...more
Ike Iloka
The book Knights of the lunch table: the battling bands is part of a series with the main character being Arte and he is a struggling kid in middle school with only two friends, but has this magic locker that helps him through is times in need and supplies him with things to win challenge that he somehow gets himself into. This situation is with a bully battling him in a band for a super prise that is a lost trophy and he has another bully on his back that is the principal that doesn't like him...more
Tamora Pierce
Nick
This story has everything from bad school lunches to Arthurian fantasy, all woven around a school band competition. It works, in a brilliant and weird way, including everything from a science teacher who is also Merlin, sort of, and the school janitor who is the Fisher King. No, really.
In this story, Artie and his friends are trying to defeat the school bullies in a musical duel, for the sake of honor and also their lunch table. Trust me, you have to read it for that to make sense, but it does.
I...more
I found this book particularly charming, possibly because of the female characters.

My students are gobbling up this series.
Samh
If you need to find a short comic with some mystery and a hint of love this might you book.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

The Knights of the Lunch Table is a seriously FUN graphic novel series, and I have enjoyed all three books. My one wish: that books two and three had expanded the storylines and character descriptions a bit more. Book three felt rushed- especially with the new character of Melody being so quickly there and gone.

I could easily have read more of Artie and his friends' adventures!
This time the gang of friends is trying to win a Battle of the Bands contest AND solve the mystery of finding the "singing sword." What's at stake if they don't succeed? The school will use the money they cut from the music department on school uniforms. Oh no! The story moves along quickly with illustrations that pull us through.
Brayton
The pictures and the layout were cool.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Wow! This graphic novel has a little bit of everything! The allusions to Camelot and the knights and Arthur. There are the funny parts, the touching parts, and the fantasy parts! I am very impressed by how well written and well done this graphic novel is! It will be highly recommended by me to kiddos!
Chris
Artie and his friends decide they must stand up to the school bullies by entering the battle of the bands, despite not having much musical experience and not being a band. Along the way he is surprised to discover much wisdom. Another nice entry in this series.
Karen
I'm happy to be adding this book to my graphic novel bookshelf. The Knights of the Lunch Table series was a well-loved one in my classroom last year, and I predict this book and the other two will be widely read again this year.

#59 of #summerbookaday
Brett
Artie King & his friends are back & headed on another quest in their crazy middle school - this time, they're supposed to win their school's annual "Battle of the Bands" contest. But can they find the sword trophy that's been lost for 27 years?
Jen
third in the lunch table series follow artie and friends trying to save the battle of the bands money from the evil principal. They need to find the singing sword but things are never what they seem on the outside!
Ann Williams
Not my favorite, but it was o.k. A little difficult to follow, especially if you haven't read the first two books. Just right for 4th graders, butI recommend reading the series in order to understand the characters.
Emmaj
Really solid GN for kids.
It's always nice to find a GN that is not filled with breasts and blood and is also not completely dumbed down to kids.
This is clever and funny and will appeal to kids.
Ky
This is a second grade, easy read for the child that likes the comic book layout when reading. Artie and his friends are trying to find rock and roll fame and find help in some interesting places.
Diana Gagliardi
Great fun little series about middle school and it's perils, esp if you are living the Arthian tales at the same time!! Still fun, still fresh, still a great read! :)
Kellee
Mr. Merlyn is always full of advice.
I love the riddles that the Ladies of the Lunch recite to Artie as well. Great example of foreshadowing.
Scott Robins
Super underrated series for young readers - Cammuso really hits his stride in this one, laughed out loud several times. :-)
Jared
Almost as fun as the two previous two. Has a good message about accepting people regardless of their appearance.
Heydi Smith
What a great adventure! I would recommend for any new or struggling reader!
Maria
Another fun Knights of the Lunch Table. I love all the Arthur references!
Danette
My 5. 5 year old comic book reader loves this and made me order the other two!
Erin
Sep 18, 2012 Erin marked it as to-read
GN FIC CAM; Graphic Novel; Music Bands; Sept.18/12
Ava Delgado
it was awesome. would read it over
Salene
Sep 27, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Mrs. Dagger: Relation to legend 1 2 Apr 17, 2013 09:41PM
Frank Cammuso is the author/illustrator of the graphic novel series The Misadventures of Salem Hyde from Amulet Books. He also created the graphic novel series Knights of the Lunch Table from Graphix/Scholastic. Frank drew the comic Otto’s Orange Day and Otto’s Backwards Day for Toon-Books. He also wrote and drew his self-published graphic novel Max Hamm Fairy Tale Detective, for which he received...more
More about Frank Cammuso...
The Dodgeball Chronicles (Knights of the Lunch Table, #1) Otto's Orange Day (Toon) The Dragon Players (Knights Of The Lunch Table, #2) The Misadventures of Salem Hyde: Spelling Trouble (The Misadventures of Salem Hyde, #1) Otto's Backwards Day: Toon Books Level 3