U-Turn

U-Turn

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In this impressively researched and incisive book, Bruce Grierson draws on over three hundred stories of so-called "U-turners," who have risked their livelihoods to answer a sudden wake-up call. We meet people who change political parties and careers, doctors who quit to become poets, men who become women, people who suddenly become revolutionaries for a cause they didn't...more
Published December 1st 2008 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published April 3rd 2007)

Emily
May 27, 2008 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: those who try to control their life through reason.
I can't quite remember this book in detail, but I remember enjoying it while laying under the summer sky. It calms a nervous person; one who stresses about their future and the decisions they must make at crossroads.
Judi
Couldn't finish it, actually. it was entertaining for about 20 pages. Then I lost interest.
Jeremy Preacher
I was much more excited about this book from the first ten pages than it turned out to deserve. While there were a lot of interesting anecdotes about people who made drastic changes in their lives, there really didn't seem to be a cohesive thesis or any strong conclusion - basically, he seemed to be saying that sometimes people change things up and it's usually complicated. Not exactly the most profound insight - it really would have made a great Salon.com article, but it was a pretty mediocre b...more
Melanie Jennings
An interesting book about people who radically changed their lives, mostly after some significant "lightening bolt" experience. The author profiles people like Julia "Butterfly" Hill, the redwood tree sitter, Ray Anderson, the CEO of Interface carpets, and other semi-famous folks who experienced total life paradigm shifts. The concept is fascinating, as are the profiles, but for me there is something lacking in the actual writing. I'm not sure I'll finish this.
Liz
U-Turn is a pretty good book. It is somewhere in between a typical pop-psych read and a self-help book, but it definitely errs more toward being the former than the latter.
Essentially, U-Turn is a series of anecdotes about people who have drastically changed their lives, punctuated by Grierson's commentary on these shifts: why they happen, when they happen, to whom they happen, and whether they are really as dramatic as they seem at first glance.
Barb
I'm sure if you have a family member or good friend that completely changed their lives and you were having trouble understanding why, this book would be very informative. I did find some of the stories about those who did make a U-Turn very interesting.
Colin
This was an interesting read. If you've ever considered why some people make mid-life corrections, Grierson researched this concept very well. He puts together a huge list of u-turners who are very fascinating in there own regard.
Teresa Cooper
this was such a good book that I want to buy it and put it in my library. I think everyone needs to have this book in their personal library. It is a book that makes real good sense.
Elaine
I'd almost give this five stars if I weren't so darned stingy with my stars. It covers the subject very well, through both anecdotes and scientific background supporting the stories.
Leonardo
Insightful, and enjoyable, not exactly sure what was the point the author was trying to make regarding u-turns in life, but the stories were entertaining and inspiring anyways.
Linus
Interesting look at why people appear to do 180 degree change of life choices.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Kari Koler
Kari Koler is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2014
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Lizzie
Lizzie marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Mary Johnson
Mary Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Rachel Long
Rachel Long marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Corey Ryan
Corey Ryan marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Tricia
Tricia marked it as to-read
fnadoc
fnadoc marked it as to-read
Danielle Knight
Danielle Knight marked it as to-read
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What Makes Olga Run?: The Mystery of the Ninety-Something Track Star Who Is Smashing Records and Outpacing Time, and What She Can Teach Us About How to Live What Makes Olga Run?: The Mystery of the 90-Something Track Star and What She Can Teach Us about Living Longer, Happier Lives What Makes Olga Run?: The Mystery of the 90-Something Track Star and What She Can Teach Us about Living Longer, Happier Lives What Makes Olga Run?: The Mystery of the 90-Something Track Star and What She Can Teach Us about Living Longer, Happier Lives