Authentic Faith: The Power of a Fire-Tested Life

Authentic Faith: The Power of a Fire-Tested Life

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This book provides an inspiring, positive approach to what some call the negative truths of Scripture and presents a timeless but contemporary look at faith's real attributes of sacrifice, selfless love, and discipleship at a time when society, and even the Christian community, is focused on blessing and comfort.
Published June 9th 2003 by Zondervan (first published February 1st 2002)

Debi
"...the fear of the Lord involves a moral understanding, a trust in God's commands and goodness, a willingness to accept his higher understanding, and a corresponding surrender to his will. It is underscored by a genuine love and affection, tempered by awe and reverence."

"How we define faith, and what we expect from it, will lead either to a hope that is based in eternity or to a disillusionment that is based on ever-changing earthly circumstances. Disillusionment is born when we expect this wor...more
Kat
I wanted to underline everything in this book! I highly, highly recommend it!!!! Super realistic and confrontational about what authentic faith looks like. A challenge but encouragement in the faith.
Leeann
I underlined almost the entire book!
Joe Marlin
A book on spiritual disciplines, but not the kind we typically talk about, the ones we do, fasting, solitude, praying etc.. But the disciplines our Father walks us through in life to work in our lives. Like mourning, waiting, and suffering. Reading this book with my wife was really helpful. It pushed our buttons, but that is good. It leans heavily on the wisdom of the 'classics,' many catholic spiritual masters, and puritans yet is scriptural reasoned and soaked.
Sonya
it's a book that i feel like i need to read over again once a year. in fact you lovers of "celebration of discipline" by richard foster would dig this book also. i was constantly challenge in this book to reach deeper inside myself and apply the life of Jesus directly to my own life. it also helped me see how often i slack and don't do as Jesus did. this book speaks of real love for your fellow man and how to really apply Jesus example into our own lives.
Ingrid Shanklin
Another book that will have you sit up and take notice. He paints a very vivid picture of the real life of a believer in Christ and what it looks like up close and personal to have an authentic faith.One that's been tried and found authentic for sure.
Kimberly
Another book to consider how God works in our lives THROUGH the tragedies of human suffering--how He changes us for the better. I found this to be a way to hear others' experiences and ponder how God makes Himself known in our humility.
Kristi
Provided a lot of insight on different spiritual disciplines to think about. I took tons of notes and know I will to take a lot of time to process these ideas further. Insightful and a good read.
Sethmalmberg
This book was very insightful. It really goes after tearing down fake Christian faith and the search for an easy life. It challenges you to deal with pain in a healthy way.
Maria Connor
I didn't end up finishing this one. I was disappointed -- I've really appreciated Gary Thomas' other books and this one just didn't do much to challenge me.
John Williams
first couple of chapters are kind of slow but it gets better with every chapter. excellent book.
Chelsea
i am totally loving this book so far. what a refreshing a challenging look at the christian life!
Jodi Brockway
Aug 09, 2007 Jodi Brockway rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yes
This book is amazing, it will change your life page by page!
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Susanna
Susanna marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Max Meschberger
Max Meschberger marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Linette
Linette marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Mary Johnson
Mary Johnson marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Kimberlee
Kimberlee is currently reading it
May 31, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
David Limbaugh
David Limbaugh marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Erik Smith
Erik Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Tosha Huskins
Tosha Huskins marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
31970

Gary Thomas is a writer, speaker and the founder and director of the Center for Evangelical Sprirituality - a ministry that integrates Scripture, church history and the Christian classics. He's spoken in 49 states, four coutries and his books have been translated into eleven languages. His books have won and be...more
More about Gary L. Thomas...
Sacred Marriage: Celebrating Marriage as a Spiritual Discipline Sacred Parenting: How Raising Children Shapes Our Souls Sacred Pathways Sacred Marriage Participant's Guide: What If God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy? Sacred Influence: How God Uses Wives to Shape the Souls of Their Husbands