Start by marking “I Moved Your Cheese: For Those Who Refuse to Live as Mice in Someone Else's Maze” as Want to Read:

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  928 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
If you were a mouse trapped in a maze and someone kept moving the cheese, what would you do?

Over a decade ago the bestselling business fable Who Moved My Cheese? offered its answer to this question: accept that change is inevitable and beyond your control, don’t waste your time wondering why things are the way they are, keep your head down and start looking for the cheese.
Published September 6th 2011 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published 2011)

Nov 10, 2015 Jennifer marked it as dnf-lost-interest
If I hear the words "cheese", "mice", or "maze" one more time I'm going to scream.

This is not a bad book. The author is using this rat maze concept as a business metaphor and I definitely could connect the dots and see where he was going with it. The repetition of these keywords quickly became extremely annoying to me though. It's possible this experience is exclusive to me...maybe my mood or my response to the audiobook narrator, or who knows. I just had to move on.
Donna
Feb 26, 2012 Donna rated it liked it
This is a very quick read, and an interesting perspective.

This book is a rebuttal (perhaps too strong a word) to the wildly popular "Who Moved My Cheese". That book's premise was - when things around you change, you must accept the change or you won't survive. There wasn't really a question of "who" in that book, or why.

I Moved Your Cheese is about understanding who, what, why, and then responding to the change. Much more of a focus on thinking and not blindly accepting what is happening around
Les
Dec 30, 2011 Les rated it really liked it
"What I wish is not that you pursue happiness, but that you actually find happiness. Is it possible to pursue happiness, if the pursuit itself does not actually make you happy?"
Alina
Feb 05, 2016 Alina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clearly better than the one it responds to (Who Moved My Cheese?), which was way too simplistic.

“What I wish is not that you pursue happiness, but that you actually find happiness. Is it possible to pursue happiness if the pursuit itself does not make you happy?”
Jennie
Dec 24, 2013 Jennie rated it liked it
I think the message Mr. Malhotra conveys in this very quick read is a good message about not losing what it means to be an individual. Be curious, be adventurous, pursue happiness, don't accept something just because you're told to... etc. I can easily see the connections he's making between the obvious corporate world (the maze) and the workers (mice) that navigate it. I felt like it was too simplified and to some extent I am horrified that it makes so many people out there sound like they are ...more
Tim Yearneau
Dec 02, 2014 Tim Yearneau rated it really liked it
Any time this book is mentioned it's a debate over whether it refutes Who Moved My Cheese? or adding to it. To me it depends on how one interprets what the maze represents. Is it a metaphor for the world at large or does it represent limits places upon us?

In I Moved Your Cheese, the moral of the story is that we can breakthrough limits that have been set upon us. Our mind is the most powerful thing we possess. The six inches between our ears dictates where our life goes. The insistence of our mi
Humam Ahmed
Jul 05, 2015 Humam Ahmed rated it it was ok
عناوين فضفاضة تثير التساؤلات .. بدون اي استفادة منطقية ..
Subramanyam K.V.
Oct 21, 2014 Subramanyam K.V. rated it it was amazing
How many of us have read the book, “Who Moved My cheese ?” ? Almost everyone, isn’t it ? It is hard to find a corporate employee who has not read this book, isn’t it ? Published in 1998, Dr. Spencer Johnson’s Who Moved My Cheese? An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life has sold more than 26 million copies continues to be one of the best-selling business books ever. This 96 page book that involves the mice “Sniff & Scurry” and the little people “Hem & Haw” speaks ...more
becca c.
Feb 18, 2016 becca c. rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
I really liked the main message of the book. It addresses many important problems about society and social statuses and norms. "We should seek to understand why the change has been forced on us, how we might exert greater control over our lives in the future, whether the goals we are chasing are the correct ones, and what it would take to escape the kinds of mazes in which we are always subject to the designs of others." This is very true when we apply this to our lives.

However, one thing bothe
Kickstand447
May 27, 2016 Kickstand447 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-on-kindle
From my LinkedIn Book List/Review:
"What a great little book. Highly recommend this. One theme is (& there are really many): Think for yourself, and be true to what you believe. Doors will open (or, in this case: wall will come down).
READ IT!"
Bernadette
May 21, 2014 Bernadette rated it liked it
Brief allegorical book that encourages questioning assumptions and not accepting the limitations that others might impose on you.
Christine
Jul 01, 2016 Christine rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio-editions
Please forgive the inanity of this review. I just read a book about mice.

Let me be clear: this book was basically an extended metaphor about mice in mazes. Maybe I am missing some key idea because I never read the book that inspired this one "Who Moved My Cheese?", and I am not part of the corporate world (the audience for whom I assume this is primarily written), but I did not enjoy this. Although it would probably feel patronizing, I couldn't help but want more about how to apply this in the r
Robert S
Jul 08, 2016 Robert S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Make Changes, Don't Just Blindly Accept Them

This is a much better allegorical view of change.

The author relies heavily readers knowledge of the book "Who Moved My Cheese" and therefore to the uninitiated it might not be as validating as it was for me. It certainly took the moldy cheese taste out of my mouth!

The bottom line is that handling change like the characters in this book is a much better approach than those in "Who Moved My Cheese".
Ryan
Jan 12, 2012 Ryan rated it liked it
Recommended to Ryan by: Navita and Phyllis
This is a nice little story. There's no need to buy the book; it has really big font, so it only took about 45 minutes to read in the book store.

It's a great story to start discussion. I was hoping the book would have more substance and perhaps examine the implications. It leaves the thinking to the reader, which might not be a bad thing considering the simplicity of the story. But you'd think that a Harvard professor would provide some profound insights that might escape us commoners. My socks
carl caesar
Jun 21, 2016 carl caesar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tras la lectura de "¿Quién se ha llevado mi queso?" resultaba necesario responder a ciertas cuestiones abiertas. Y eso es lo que este libro representa.

Si bien está mucho mejor escrito que el otro, sigue siendo la fábula la fórmula principal de explicar el mensaje filosófico o moral que en él nos intentan explicar.

Este mensaje es más complejo y más profundo de lo que nos puede hacer pensar en un inicio. Y quizás sea esto lo que convertirá este libro en un segundón. Ya que el mensaje y las ventas
Deloris
Jul 30, 2014 Deloris rated it really liked it
A good story. I read "Who Moved My Cheese", I understood WMMC, and totally got it. I LOVED that book, and I tried to set up my career based on the message of the story: when the old way doesn't work any more, adapt. Actually, I attribute my successes to being able to adapt. This story adds so much more complexity to that story: the maze is no longer abundant, and is becoming overcrowded, and everybody has gotten good at adapting, but it is just not working anymore.

This story deals with not just
Eti Mishra
Mar 20, 2015 Eti Mishra rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-2015
I give this book 3.5 stars

A quick and interesting read and I understand the point the author here is trying to make.

He is trying to say that if you live your life inside a constraint boundary and never think of looking what's there outside of it then you will never grow.

There is an uplifting message in this book that you stop letting others define your life and stop living within the artificial boundaries set by others for you. This book is about breaking those boundaries and creating new real
Clarissa Draper
Mar 02, 2012 Clarissa Draper rated it really liked it
Shelves: textbooks
I bought this book when it went on amazon's daily deal for $0.99. It was a short book so I'm glad I didn't pay more than a dollar.

However, the book had some really interesting thoughts. What I got from it was this: Although we need to accept that life changes to be happy, we should ask why things change.

I think this is important. I think people just stop asking questions and remain unsatisfied.
Johnny Graber
Apr 27, 2015 Johnny Graber rated it it was amazing
Deepak Malhotra wrote a nice little story around the Who Moved My Cheese? book by Spencer Johnson. Here you will get another point of view on the subject of change: If change happens anyway, then why care so much about the reason for the change? Should we not care more about the change in itself and how we handle it?

Some parts are zen-like, for example: “It’s not so much the mouse in the maze that is the problem. The problem is the maze in the mouse”. That self-inflicted cage we put our thought
Hugo Picado
May 31, 2012 Hugo Picado rated it did not like it
It had potential as a story, but that potential was not explored correctly. Despite the author has a good argument to why we should not accept the change without asking why, many times this book does not go straight to the point, which turns it into a bit boring book, when compared with the WMMC book.
Meredith
Apr 22, 2012 Meredith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Finally someone willing to say that the entire Who Moved My Cheese phenomenon is bunk. As the author states in the preface, "Perhaps we should stopy telling people that they are simply mice, chasing cheese, in someone else's maze."
Kangkung Malaya
Sep 23, 2012 Kangkung Malaya rated it it was amazing
change happens. You can sit there and complain about it , or you can change with the times . Do not fear change . Accept change . What happens in the maze is beyond your control . What you can control is your reaction . - Deepak Malhotra .
César Tonatiuh
Googlear ¿Quién se ha llevado mi queso? fue la forma de llegar a YO ME HE LLEVADO TU QUESO. Al principio creí que era una parodia del tipo "Los capítulos que se le olvidaron al libro los siete hábitos de la gente altamente efectiva" por ejemplo. Pero es real el libro YO ME HE LLEVADO TU QUESO. Me identificaba con Haw (Protagonista del otro libro) pero es Max el que me invita negar a aceptar las cosas sin averiguar la causa. Llegar a este libro es un encuentro del tipo Sapere aude. Este libro es ...more
Robert Dunlap
Apr 20, 2015 Robert Dunlap rated it liked it
The title implies that it's a derivative book. It's worth the read and worth sharing. The largest problem in your professional life is that you won't be around cheese movers and won't know how to do it.

It isn't taught; in fact, the system conspires against the teaching of same. Naturally - systems of business and education work to self-perpetuate, and resist rule breakers strongly even when it means more cheese for everyone.

Not a bad discussion group book, but for those who have figured out ho
Micha
This was another Saturday lend from Zach, as I saw it just three books down from The Pearl on the office bookshelf, and I thought it was another book that Zach talked about as we pulled the canoe back towards the dock. Something-something-cheese moving. However, he was talking about it's predecessor and kick-off point, the book Who Ate My Cheese?, which he didn't happen to have a copy of. I think I've got the gist of that book through the context provided by this one, but my curiosity and inabil ...more
Bob Wallner
Nov 14, 2014 Bob Wallner rated it liked it
Shelves: change, strategy
I understand the point that the author is trying to make: if you believe that your life must be in a particular maze then you will never grow outside of that constraints.
I don't disagree with the author's opinion; however, I think his arrogant attitude toward the book Who Moved My Cheese overshadowed the points he was trying to make. At times it seemed he was more adamant about contradicting that book, then he was about highlighting the idea he was trying to get across. I found that very distra
Carlos Medina
A really nice Fable with some great lines and moments.
Jerry Williams
Jun 14, 2016 Jerry Williams rated it liked it
I don't fully recall "Who moved my cheese", I do however remember the premise of the book, and understand that this book is a backhanded referendum to the basis of that book. The theory put forth by the Author is that you have to forget about the "Cheese" and winning the "Rat Race" and look within yourself to decide why it is that you're competing in the maze or confines that someone has involuntarily placed you within. However, at less than 90 pages long, wasn't it possible for the author to si ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 11, 2014 Elizabeth rated it liked it
I liked this book because the characters are not thwarted by the maze. Each mouse overcomes the wall in some fashion. Zed walks through the wall because for him there is no wall. Max (with help from Big) pulls himself up and climbs over the wall. Big punches a hole in the wall and escapes through it. I liked the idea of not letting the maze (& the pursuit of cheese) defeat you! I am a person who likes to have a myriad of ideas. It was great how this author took the ideas from "Who Moved My C ...more
A.M.
Feb 26, 2012 A.M. rated it really liked it
This book showed up as an Amazon Kindle Daily Deal during a particularly rough week at work, so I happily paid my $0.99. It is a very fast read - I got through it in under an hour on my cloud reader. Also, it was supposedly written as a retort to the book Who Moved My Cheese? An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life by Spencer Johnson.

Supposedly, Johnson's work asserts there is a "maze" or "matrix" and provides tips on how to navigate it. Deepak Malhotra takes the Eastern
  • Vienna Triangle
  • Creating Personal Presence: Look, Talk, Think, and Act Like a Leader
  • The Truth about Getting the Best from People (Truth about)
  • Unleashing the Power of Rubber Bands: Lessons in Non-Linear Leadership
  • Leadership and the New Science: Discovering Order in a Chaotic World
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need
  • Broker, Trader, Lawyer, Spy: The Secret World of Corporate Espionage
  • The Introverted Leader: Building on Your Quiet Strength
  • Bourbon Street: A History
  • Teaching Strategies for Nurse Educators
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2011
  • Ghosty Men: The Strange but True Story of the Collyer Brothers, New York's Greatest Hoarders: An Urban Historical
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Don't Try This At Home: Culinary Catastrophes from the World's Greatest Chefs
  • Never Apply for a Job Again!: Break the Rules, Cut the Line, Beat the Rest
  • Tell Your Time: How To Manage Your Schedule So You Can Live Free
  • Davis's Drug Guide for Nurses
  • Restaurant Success by the Numbers: A Money-Guy's Guide to Opening the Next Hot Spot
Deepak Malhotra is a Professor in the Negotiation, Organizations and Markets Unit at the Harvard Business School. He teaches courses on negotiation strategy to MBA students, as well as in a variety of executive programs, including the Owner/President Management Program, Changing the Game and Families in Business.

Deepak's research focuses on negotiation strategy, trust development, competitive esca

More about Deepak Malhotra...