Start by marking “I Moved Your Cheese: For Those Who Refuse to Live as Mice in Someone Else's Maze” as Want to Read:

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  652 ratings  ·  83 reviews
If you were a mouse trapped in a maze and someone kept moving the cheese, what would you do?

Over a decade ago the bestselling business fable Who Moved My Cheese? offered its answer to this question: accept that change is inevitable and beyond your control, don’t waste your time wondering why things are the way they are, keep your head down and start looking for the cheese.
Published September 6th 2011 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about I Moved Your Cheese, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Moved Your Cheese

Donna
This is a very quick read, and an interesting perspective.

This book is a rebuttal (perhaps too strong a word) to the wildly popular "Who Moved My Cheese". That book's premise was - when things around you change, you must accept the change or you won't survive. There wasn't really a question of "who" in that book, or why.

I Moved Your Cheese is about understanding who, what, why, and then responding to the change. Much more of a focus on thinking and not blindly accepting what is happening around
Les
"What I wish is not that you pursue happiness, but that you actually find happiness. Is it possible to pursue happiness, if the pursuit itself does not actually make you happy?"
Jennie Pratt
I think the message Mr. Malhotra conveys in this very quick read is a good message about not losing what it means to be an individual. Be curious, be adventurous, pursue happiness, don't accept something just because you're told to... etc. I can easily see the connections he's making between the obvious corporate world (the maze) and the workers (mice) that navigate it. I felt like it was too simplified and to some extent I am horrified that it makes so many people out there sound like they are ...more
Yarndog
Any time this book is mentioned it's a debate over whether it refutes Who Moved My Cheese? or adding to it. To me it depends on how one interprets what the maze represents. Is it a metaphor for the world at large or does it represent limits places upon us?

In I Moved Your Cheese, the moral of the story is that we can breakthrough limits that have been set upon us. Our mind is the most powerful thing we possess. The six inches between our ears dictates where our life goes. The insistence of our mi
Subramanyam K.V.
How many of us have read the book, “Who Moved My cheese ?” ? Almost everyone, isn’t it ? It is hard to find a corporate employee who has not read this book, isn’t it ? Published in 1998, Dr. Spencer Johnson’s Who Moved My Cheese? An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life has sold more than 26 million copies continues to be one of the best-selling business books ever. This 96 page book that involves the mice “Sniff & Scurry” and the little people “Hem & Haw” speaks ...more
Kickstand447
From my LinkedIn Book List/Review:
"What a great little book. Highly recommend this. One theme is (& there are really many): Think for yourself, and be true to what you believe. Doors will open (or, in this case: wall will come down).
READ IT!"
Bernadette
Brief allegorical book that encourages questioning assumptions and not accepting the limitations that others might impose on you.
Ryan
Jan 12, 2012 Ryan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ryan by: Navita and Phyllis
This is a nice little story. There's no need to buy the book; it has really big font, so it only took about 45 minutes to read in the book store.

It's a great story to start discussion. I was hoping the book would have more substance and perhaps examine the implications. It leaves the thinking to the reader, which might not be a bad thing considering the simplicity of the story. But you'd think that a Harvard professor would provide some profound insights that might escape us commoners. My socks
Deloris
A good story. I read "Who Moved My Cheese", I understood WMMC, and totally got it. I LOVED that book, and I tried to set up my career based on the message of the story: when the old way doesn't work any more, adapt. Actually, I attribute my successes to being able to adapt. This story adds so much more complexity to that story: the maze is no longer abundant, and is becoming overcrowded, and everybody has gotten good at adapting, but it is just not working anymore.

This story deals with not just
Eti Mishra
I give this book 3.5 stars

A quick and interesting read and I understand the point the author here is trying to make.

He is trying to say that if you live your life inside a constraint boundary and never think of looking what's there outside of it then you will never grow.

There is an uplifting message in this book that you stop letting others define your life and stop living within the artificial boundaries set by others for you. This book is about breaking those boundaries and creating new real
Clarissa Draper
I bought this book when it went on amazon's daily deal for $0.99. It was a short book so I'm glad I didn't pay more than a dollar.

However, the book had some really interesting thoughts. What I got from it was this: Although we need to accept that life changes to be happy, we should ask why things change.

I think this is important. I think people just stop asking questions and remain unsatisfied.
Johnny Graber
Deepak Malhotra wrote a nice little story around the Who Moved My Cheese? book by Spencer Johnson. Here you will get another point of view on the subject of change: If change happens anyway, then why care so much about the reason for the change? Should we not care more about the change in itself and how we handle it?

Some parts are zen-like, for example: “It’s not so much the mouse in the maze that is the problem. The problem is the maze in the mouse”. That self-inflicted cage we put our thought
Hugo Picado
It had potential as a story, but that potential was not explored correctly. Despite the author has a good argument to why we should not accept the change without asking why, many times this book does not go straight to the point, which turns it into a bit boring book, when compared with the WMMC book.
Meredith
Finally someone willing to say that the entire Who Moved My Cheese phenomenon is bunk. As the author states in the preface, "Perhaps we should stopy telling people that they are simply mice, chasing cheese, in someone else's maze."
Kangkung Malaya
change happens. You can sit there and complain about it , or you can change with the times . Do not fear change . Accept change . What happens in the maze is beyond your control . What you can control is your reaction . - Deepak Malhotra .
Robert Dunlap
The title implies that it's a derivative book. It's worth the read and worth sharing. The largest problem in your professional life is that you won't be around cheese movers and won't know how to do it.

It isn't taught; in fact, the system conspires against the teaching of same. Naturally - systems of business and education work to self-perpetuate, and resist rule breakers strongly even when it means more cheese for everyone.

Not a bad discussion group book, but for those who have figured out ho
Bob Wallner
I understand the point that the author is trying to make: if you believe that your life must be in a particular maze then you will never grow outside of that constraints.
I don't disagree with the author's opinion; however, I think his arrogant attitude toward the book Who Moved My Cheese overshadowed the points he was trying to make. At times it seemed he was more adamant about contradicting that book, then he was about highlighting the idea he was trying to get across. I found that very distra
Carlos Medina
A really nice Fable with some great lines and moments.
Elizabeth
I liked this book because the characters are not thwarted by the maze. Each mouse overcomes the wall in some fashion. Zed walks through the wall because for him there is no wall. Max (with help from Big) pulls himself up and climbs over the wall. Big punches a hole in the wall and escapes through it. I liked the idea of not letting the maze (& the pursuit of cheese) defeat you! I am a person who likes to have a myriad of ideas. It was great how this author took the ideas from "Who Moved My C ...more
A.M.
This book showed up as an Amazon Kindle Daily Deal during a particularly rough week at work, so I happily paid my $0.99. It is a very fast read - I got through it in under an hour on my cloud reader. Also, it was supposedly written as a retort to the book Who Moved My Cheese? An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life by Spencer Johnson.

Supposedly, Johnson's work asserts there is a "maze" or "matrix" and provides tips on how to navigate it. Deepak Malhotra takes the Eastern
Heather
This book is meant as a response to "Who Moved My Cheese." While I thought Malhotra had a point as far as the limits of the moral of Who Moved My Cheese, his particular parable left a little to be desired. In the appendices he mentions that Zed was the most difficult character to write, and this shows. While Max's journey does convey the point well (Why is the cheese moving), and Big serves his purpose, Zed's character is as ill-defined and awkward as the worldview that he apparently espouses.

M
Eric
A response to Who Moved My Cheese. Apparently, this author thought that WMMC turned a lot of otherwise productive and creative individuals into mindless automatons.

I didn't read WMMC, but it must have used a mouse-maze analogy to argue that people shouldn’t sit around worrying about change they can’t control (missing cheese) they should just get on with life and (and find cheese somewhere else).

I Moved Your Cheese uses the same analogy to communicate that it is not always best to simply accept
Anthony Tenaglier
Despite me liking "Who moved my cheese" and this book immediately slamming it from the get-go, this book provided great insight and questioned why the maze was there and was the pursuit of cheese really the goal in life. I think both "Who moved my cheese" and this book are essential to anyone's library.
Brian Bohmueller
I enjoyed this metaphorical thought experiment, so long as it is indeed a metaphorical tale (mice notwithstanding) vs. a literal interpretation.

The book seems to counter the Who Moved My Cheese paradigm of base acceptance with a diametric opposite of mind over matter extremism. Which is to say the idea that life is an unchangeable maze is just as extreme as to say life is 100% controllable and changeable by the mind.

Nevertheless, I thought the tale conveyed a sense of not letting the paradigm th
Badr Al Badr
If you read the original "Who Moved My Cheese" then you might enjoy this sequel. For me it was too direct, too prescriptive, and boring. The parable and analogies were stretched.
Tony Starks
What a truly amazing book!

I absolutely love this book and would recommend it to anyone that's looking to escape the maze! Excellent excellent read!
C
It's far stretched. Becomes really boring. Could have written the entire message of the book in 10 pages. "Who moved my cheese" was far better than this extended story.
Becky
Quick read. Harvard professor believes message many take from "Who Moved My Cheese" is about acceptance that change happens and not questioning why.

Malhotra's fable tells of 3 mice, Max questions "Why" and intellectually looks for answers, Zed lives outside of the maze spiritually, and Big does it physically.

This book was an aha for how we create our own "Maze", and thinking and questioning will take us outside of that Maze. Our thinking may lead us to use our intellectual, spiritual or physic
Senthil
Just one central theme and it is conveyed beautifully. Watch "lafengey parendey" film which goes well this book.
Rachana Desai
I like that there is a mouse named Zen in the book.
  • Vienna Triangle
  • The Truth about Getting the Best from People (Truth about)
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Leadership and the New Science: Discovering Order in a Chaotic World
  • Unleashing the Power of Rubber Bands: Lessons in Non-Linear Leadership
  • Broker, Trader, Lawyer, Spy: The Secret World of Corporate Espionage
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • Customers for Life: How to Turn That One-Time Buyer Into a Lifetime Customer
  • Tell Your Time: How To Manage Your Schedule So You Can Live Free
  • Don't Try This At Home: Culinary Catastrophes from the World's Greatest Chefs
  • I Moved Your Cheese
  • The Life & Legend Of Lucrezia Borgia
  • The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind
  • Ghosty Men: The Strange but True Story of the Collyer Brothers, New York's Greatest Hoarders: An Urban Historical
  • Nursing Diagnosis Handbook: An Evidence-Based Guide to Planning Care
  • Fundamentals of Nursing
  • One Minute For Yourself (One Minute Manager)
Deepak Malhotra is a Professor in the Negotiations, Organizations and Markets Unit at the Harvard Business School. He teaches courses on negotiation strategy to MBA students, as well as in a variety of executive programs, including the Owner/President Management Program, Changing the Game and Families in Business.

Deepak's research focuses on negotiation strategy, trust development, competitive esc

More about Deepak Malhotra...
Negotiation Genius: How to Overcome Obstacles and Achieve Brilliant Results at the Bargaining Table and Beyond i moved your cheese - edisi bahasa melayu Recent Advances In Mineral Processing Plant Design Yo me he llevado tu queso I Moved your Cheese