Start by marking “Somewhere a Band is Playing” as Want to Read:
Somewhere a Band is Playing

Somewhere a Band is Playing

A NEW RAY BRADBURY NOVELLA WHICH HE HAS BEEN TINKERING WITH FOR 60 YEARS. THE BOOK INCLUDES THE FINAL MANUSCRIPT AS WELL AS EARLY DRAFTS.
Hardcover, First Limited , 187 pages
Published June 28th 2007 by Colorado Springs: Gauntlet Press (first published June 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Somewhere a Band is Playing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somewhere a Band is Playing

Lee Thompson
May 16, 2012 Lee Thompson rated it liked it
Damn it. I wanted to love this. Even with all the extra excerpts and the teleplay, which were interesting to read to see how Bradbury had changed things for the final version, weren't enough to really impress me. I think this is one of his weaker works: thin, underdeveloped, lacking any character development at all. None. It might not even deserve 3 stars (I'm mostly giving them to him for idea and prose.)

Mark Oppenlander
This is another book I was fortunate to be able to find through the magic of inter-library loan. It includes the novella "Somewhere a Band is Playing" along with early snippets, fragments and drafts that have a connection to the final manuscript. It is a signed, limited edition. The copy I have in hand is #299 of 500 with Bradbury's signature in red ink on the cover page.

I won't bother to repeat my thoughts on the novella (see my review of "Now and Forever" on February 23, 2014 for that), but I
Patricia
Aug 15, 2015 Patricia rated it it was ok
I needed to read a sci-fi book for the Summer Reading program at the library, so I chose an author I have enjoyed before. I loved the setting of this story and the old-fashioned feel of it, but I guess I just don't really understand Bradbury. Or sci-fi. A bit weird for me. But a quick read that made me think a bit.
Michael Sentman
Very much an eloquently written praising to small towns in America where everybody knows everybody and never wants the town to change. I enjoyed the writing, done as only Bradbury can, but no being a lover of small towns nearly as much as Bradbury I only appreciate the piece and admire the love Bradbury put into this novella. It really was too short to develop any characters as actual dynamic characters and the plot was hidden well with mystery but still simple. It was an enjoyable piece to read ...more
6robertson_alec
Nov 25, 2012 6robertson_alec rated it really liked it
This was an amazing story both my dad and I loved this book. He requested me to read this story so I did and I really enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend it to people who prefer to read mystery and entertaining stories great book.
Keri Spetzer
May 05, 2013 Keri Spetzer rated it it was amazing
Ray Bradbury had done it again. It's an interesting tale that societal values and ideas. It's a quick read and I'd recommend it to anyone.
Oliver Cooper
Oliver Cooper rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Hugh Klied
Hugh Klied marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Ashley Arvidson
Ashley Arvidson marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Maria Petersen
Maria Petersen marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Collin
Collin rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Philip Wickstrand
Philip Wickstrand marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Mariana Zurita
Mariana Zurita rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
Jennifer Nevers
Jennifer Nevers rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
teokrin
teokrin rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
Jesse Worley
Jesse Worley rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
heidi brooks
heidi brooks marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
alex neuro
alex neuro marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Julie L. Miller
Julie L. Miller marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Aleigh
Aleigh marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Candy
Candy rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec ...more
More about Ray Bradbury...