Football for Dummies

Football for Dummies

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The fun and easy way to tackle football basics and enjoy America's most popular sport Since the last edition of Football For Dummies, new stadiums have been built, new stars have ascended, and records have been broken. This new edition has been revised to reflect today's game, giving football fans up-to-the-minute information on all the rules and regulations, positions, pl...more
Published June 7th 2011 by For Dummies (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Football for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Football for Dummies

Cierra Grove
Throughout the book I was flipping back and forth because the author didn't explain things in the correct order. I learned a lot about football, but the learning process was inefficient... Could have been much more streamlined. There has to be a better book out there!
Jessica
Jan 29, 2008 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those wanting to know more about football
My goal for the past 8 years of my marriage has been to understand the ever-popular American game of Football (appropriate goal, since I married to a Football guru who now wants to go in to sports orthopedics)! My next goal, after checking this book out a month ago, was to have it read by the Super bowl. I'm on page 180 of a 400 page book. Time to knuckle down. It reads a bit like a dictionary and is giving me more info than I think I need to enjoy the game, however, it makes me look smart when...more
Beth
Fueled by the community's enthusiasm in support of Tim Tebow last season, I jumped on the bandwagon and became a football fan - a Broncos fan. It wasn't long before it was more than excitement; I wanted to learn more about the game.

I love this book because it's easy to understand, humorous at times, and a handy reference. I learned a lot leafing through it throughout last football season, even impressing my uber-athletic sister with some of my newly acquired knowledge. It covers the basics, posi...more
Chris
I decided to read this book because I've been enjoying football more and more over the past few years, but there's so much I don't know. Never having played the game, I've always been in the dark about many of the positions and strategies. As humbling as it is to read a "for dummies" book, and especially for all my goodreads friends to find out about it, the truth is that I really enjoyed it, and I definitely learned a lot.
SusanwithaGoodBook
This year my Aggies had an amazing season and I decided I wanted to understand the game better. I've watched the Aggies for years, so I knew most of the basics, but this was a pretty good intro to the plays and strategies of the game. It's a little dry but informative, although there was a lot I didn't really care or need to know. I'll probably continue to use it as a reference from time to time.
Jason
i'm still a dummy.
Megan
Although it did explain quite a bit of the game, I felt that it was not written for dummies (like me, I admit). Too much history on the game, and not enough basics.
Mackay
Read it just for fun, hoping to delve deeper. I guess it helps, but some things seem overexplained, but still superficial, and some things never get explained at all (onside kick, play action pass...). Yeah, well. It wasn't what this fan needed (maybe I'm not a dummy?), but it has useful diagrams and is accessible.
Tana Gibson
You can only understand this book if you already understand football or you care way more than I do. Maybe you need to watch football to understand it. I still can't explain what a saftey is. I was trying to find insight into my husband's fascination with the sport. I guess some dummies can't be taught.
Joel Ungar
I learned more about football than from any other book I've ever read about football. Actually, I don't think I ever read another book about football.

Now I know what the strong side is, what the difference is between a cornerback and safety (I think) and a lot more.

Very easy to read.
Claire Gilligan
Does an excellent job at its stated intention: giving a clear overview of the game of football. Detailed and thorough but not overwhelming, with a helpful glossary at the back. I will continue to happily recommend this to anyone who wants to understand the basics of the game and its culture!
Elly Zupko
Mar 04, 2008 Elly Zupko rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love football but just don't get some of it
This book really is for Dummies - it prejudges the readers as having absolutely NO reasonable knowledge, but then glosses over complicated concepts. Uneven. But I have learned some interesting facts and figured out some things I didn't understand before. Worth it for the table of penalties.
Barb
I consider myself pretty familiar with football and I got this book so I could learn more about formations. It has a lot of interesting historical info, but much of it is confusing. And really -- does anyone, besides someone who wants to be a ref, need to know ALL of the hand signals?
Henrik Schunk
A solid overview that offers more information than anyone could wish for when looking for an introduction into football. The structure makes it easy to pick out specific topics you would like to learn more about and the appendix and glossary is a great help too.
Carla Jean
I know my way around football pretty well, but I picked this up because I want to know more of the ins and outs. Unfortunately it's written about pro ball--and who cares about that?

I've skimmed it but have yet to sit down and really digest it.
Jennie
Excellent book. Easy to both read straight through, or to find specific information. I found answers to all my questions, and then decided to read the book beginning to end. I learned a lot, at found it entertaining and informative.
Bird
Gad, how dummy do you have to be to get anything out of this book? He notes that the yard markers are a yard apart. I think he picked this up from some third grader's book report.
bigbonton
My first foray into the "Dummies" series. From a dollar bin, I got my moneys worth. Learned a few things and passed it on to a high school mother so she can cheer properly.
Ann
Feb 12, 2008 Ann marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Um, because Ron want me to play Madden, and I don't know what a pump fake is or who fakes a pump or what does a non-faux-pump looks like. Is it like a fake Louboutin?
Chelsea
Apr 03, 2013 Chelsea marked it as 50pagerule  ·  review of another edition
... I eventually got bored enough with this book that I decided I would just learn as I watched and it worked out much better that way.

(GO PATS)
Julie
Feb 05, 2011 Julie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-own
Yup.... Connor bought this for me for Christmas so that I can understand what is happening next year when he is playing tackle.
Rebecca
eh I suppose my dislike of football is now justified. I'm trying to like football. I just can't seem to get into it.
Pigeonpost
The section on CFB is funny now if reading an old version. Oh, when Washington was a powerhouse....
Christopher Feyrer
Great book for beginners, and of course the Packers are going to the Superbowl now that I'm educated! Whoohoo.
Heather
A good overview for beginners like me who want to know all the basics, the plays, and the teams.
Hom Sack
Fairly comprehensive coverage for a football newbie like myself. A delightful read.
I still don't get football. I'll just clap when the other parents clap!
Jo
Sep 05, 2007 Jo rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Football fans
Shelves: sportsrelated
Like most Dummie books, I use this as a refrence to enjoy the game more.
Ay Gough
Sep 16, 2010 Ay Gough is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Laugh away. I need all the help I can get.
Kimmo
no comment...a great book...
  • Chess For Dummies
  • Flip Flop Fly Ball: An Infographic Baseball Adventure
  • Badasses: The Legend of Snake, Foo, Dr. Death, and John Madden's Oakland Raiders
  • American Slavery: 1619-1877
  • Meditation for Dummies
  • Auto Repair For Dummies
  • Economics For Dummies
  • Sewing for Dummies
  • HTML for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides)
  • Amelia Earhart: The Legend of the Lost Aviator
  • Digital Photography for Dummies
  • Labor of Love, Labor of Sorrow: Black Women, Work, and the Family from Slavery to the Present
  • Being In Balance: 9 Principles for Creating Habits to Match Your Desires
  • Dumbing Down Our Kids: Why American Children Feel Good about Themselves But Can't Read, Write, or Add
Football Rules & Positions in a Day for Dummies Football Fundamentals in a Day for Dummies