Start by marking “The Best Defense” as Want to Read:
The Best Defense

The Best Defense

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  270 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Business and pleasure don’t mix, especially when the business is murder.

Published July 19th 2011 by Bold Strokes Books (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Defense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Defense

Jodie Atkinson
Jul 18, 2011 Jodie Atkinson rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbian-fiction
The Best Defense is Carsen Taite's (www.carsentaite.com) fifth novel and gives us another wonderful romance that's woven with a mystery/crime storyline. We were introduced to Sky Keaton as a minor character in one of Taite's previous novels, It Should Be A Crime, and in The Best Defense she has a starring role.

Homicide detective Skye Keaton has devoted her life to the job, and when she's forced to resign, she doesn't know what to do with herself. Devastated that her future looks to be a life as
Megan
Jul 29, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it
Skye Keaton, who was a secondary character in a previous novel, is a homicide detective forced to resign after what happened in It Should Be a Crime and ends up taking a PI job to track down a missing girl who may have become involved in a militia group and is also being searched for by several government agencies. Of course, there's the missing girl's aunt - wealthy businesswoman Aimee Howard - who keeps inserting herself into the investigation and ratcheting up the romance factor. The focus of ...more
Debra Todd
Mar 01, 2013 Debra Todd rated it really liked it
When Aimee Howard, successful boutique real estate broker and socialite, is visited by a team of federal agents looking to arrest her wayward niece, she hires the best defense money can buy. But Aimee begins to question her confidence in the law firm when she learns they’ve hired a disgraced former police detective to take the lead.

Homicide detective Skye Keaton’s shortcuts in the name of justice have finally tipped the scales in the wrong direction. She’s lost her job, her pride, and the respec
D. Leigh
Jul 26, 2011 D. Leigh rated it it was amazing

Fin
Jan 19, 2016 Fin rated it liked it
Shelves: gblt, romance, thrillers
Probably closer to 2.5 stars.

The story was good enough and the way the author wrapped it up in about a paragraph reinforces the idea that the story of Nicki's disappearance was nothing but a vehicle to bring Aimee and Skye together.

Skye was a whiny, grumpy mess and what Aimee could have possibly seen in her is anyone's guess.

Their interactions were immature and silly. Mostly on Skye's part, but somewhat for Aimee as well.

Aimee redeems the book. She was interesting and fun. On top of that, there
susan
May 08, 2016 susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't know what to say.....

I don't know what to say. I been reading so many books lately and then doing reviews on them. I can tell you is I loved to see the characters who have had a rough time end up with a happy ending. Thank you for another happy ending.
Lex Kent
Feb 23, 2016 Lex Kent rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f-crime
Not as good as 'It should be a Crime', which shares some of the same characters as this book, but a good story just the same. I did find Skye's character to be a bit unlikable but it's good to see a story with flawed people in it. This is my second book read by Taite and I can't wait to read more.
Alena
Apr 02, 2013 Alena rated it it was ok
More like 2.5. First Carson Taite I've read, not necessarily the last.

Fine book for a commute, but overall too many things that bugged me. I got bored half way through when I had figured out the ending even though the pace picked up some at that point. I didn't really skip parts but maybe didn't read everything very carefully until speed really picked up towards the very end and hte book had me again.

As so often, I would have liked to have seen a less abrupt ending, because I would like to see h
Heather Henkel
May 13, 2016 Heather Henkel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Thus was a great story. I loved that it dwelt with the investigation side of things more than the romance side.
Rashika Deo
Apr 21, 2014 Rashika Deo rated it liked it
loved the cat and mouse games between the main characters. the search was funny, annoying and cute at times.
Anita Bradshaw
Jul 13, 2011 Anita Bradshaw rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesfic, mystery
I really enjoyed this read. Carsen picks up on minor characters from earlier novels and weaves them into a great story. The book could be read without knowing the prior stories, but it was fun to meet some characters again and see them come into their own in this novel.
Miriam Cortez
Apr 29, 2015 Miriam Cortez rated it it was amazing
Crazy story to think that things like that still exist and maybe even to this day. Amazing story they went throw a lot and the ending could have been a little more stretch out but t was a good book
Tara
This was a really fun read and I loved seeing Parker and Morgan again from It Should Be a Crime.
Wendy Turner
Wendy Turner marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Danni Mladenovic
Danni Mladenovic rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Lucy Nascimento
Lucy Nascimento marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Robyn Herbert
Robyn Herbert marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Tracy Leong
Tracy Leong rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Fayesgirl1957
Fayesgirl1957 rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Renate
Renate added it
May 24, 2016
Kateland
Kateland marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
C L JAMES
C L JAMES rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Char
Char rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Danie
Danie marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
  • One Last Thing (Elite Operatives, #7)
  • Word of Honor (Honor, #7)
  • Indigo Moon (Garoul, #3)
  • The Scorpion
  • Trails Merge
  • Sheridan's Fate
  • Desolation Point
  • L.A. Metro (L.A. Metro, #1)
  • The Sublime and Spirited Voyage of Original Sin
Carsen Taite's goal as an author is to spin plot lines as interesting as the cases she encountered in her career as a criminal defense lawyer. She is the award-winning author of a dozen novels and numerous short stories.
More about Carsen Taite...