Start by marking “Hot, Hot Roti for Dada-Ji” as Want to Read:
Hot, Hot Roti for Dada-Ji

Hot, Hot Roti for Dada-Ji

Aneel and his grandfather, Dada-ji, tell stories, use their imaginations, and make delicious roti, a traditional Indian flatbread.
Published April 1st 2011 by Lee & Low Books

To ask other readers questions about Hot, Hot Roti for Dada-Ji, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot, Hot Roti for Dada-Ji

Betsy
Feb 08, 2011 Betsy rated it really liked it
It’s not that contemporary picture books featuring Indian-American characters don’t exist. Even off the top of my head I’m able to instantly conjure up titles like Mama’s Saris or My Dadima Wears a Sari. It’s just that there’s not a whole lot of variety in the titles I’ve seen. The two I’ve just mentioned, by Pooja Makhijani and Kashmira Sheth respectively, are great little books, but I think there’s a fair amount of tales you can tell aside from getting all sari-based. Food has always offered t ...more
Reader
Feb 21, 2011 Reader rated it really liked it
If you're not drooling for some hot hot roti yourself by the end of this tale then you, sir, have no soul. Aneel loves his grandparents and there's nothing he likes more than hearing his grandfather tell crazy tall tales about his days growing up in India. In these stories Dada-ji could derive superhuman abilities from his mothers hot roti. When Aneel asks if Dada-ji would like some roti right now, the two set about whipping up a batch. The result is that they are able to indulge in their own sm ...more
Katie Logonauts
This story features Aneel whose grandparents have come to visit from India. After hearing some of his Dada-ji's stories, Aneel decides to bake him some hot, hot roti and restore his power. This is a fun story, and my biggest complaint is the lack of a roti recipe in the end notes, because you will definitely be hungry!
Elizabeth
My school is getting to be a lot more diverse, which is a great thing, but our collection (as I’ve said before) needs some help reflecting that. Many of our students of color are of Indian descent and our collection is woefully lacking in books that reflect that culture or those kids. WOEFULLY. Thus far I have found them to be hard to come by, at least ones that show Indian Americans.

Hot, Hot Roti is one I came across and immediately bought. It’s such an funny story with Aneel reminiscing about
Neetha Vuppala
Nov 06, 2012 Neetha Vuppala rated it it was amazing
I am so excited about having found this book at my local library, as mouth-watering as the title itself is, this book is an absolute “feast for the eyes”! This is the first picture book by the author Farhana Zia, she lives in Framingham, MA and is originally from Hyderabad, India! The amazing illustrations by Ken Min are spot-on.

The story starts off with the young lad Aneel asking his grandparents, who are visiting him, to tell him a story. And Dada-ji very happily obliges him with a story in wh
Mehjabeen
May 18, 2015 Mehjabeen rated it really liked it
The book reads as an oral story typical of the entertainment with which quite a lot of South Asian granddads will delight their grandchildren.

Zia's captured that fun, silly, fantastical, atmosphere not only with the story itself - namely, the endeavour of restoring Dadai-ji's powers so he can once again wrestle water buffalos, tie cobras together, and spin elephants by their tales. She's also captured this enchanting atmosphere with the combined grandpa/grandson energy and ambition prevalent in
Jill
May 18, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it
Aneel’s grandparents have come from India to stay with them in America. Dada-ji, as you learn in the Hindi glossary at the end of this book, means paternal grandfather. Aneel loves learning from Dada-ji how to stand on his head and sit like a lotus plant. He also loves hearing about his grandparents’ village while he sits “on his grandfather’s lotus lap.”

Dada-ji has great stories. He avers that eating “hot, hot roti” gives him superhuman strength. (Roti means “bread” in Hindi, and is basically a
Doret
May 08, 2011 Doret rated it really liked it
Aneel's grandparents have come to stay from India. Aneel loves spending time with his Dadi- ma and Dada-ji and hearing their stories. Aneel's Dada-ji, tells him about his adventures as boy going up in India.

Aneel's Dada-ji was strong brave and fearless; wrestling water buffalo, tying cobras in a knot. His strength came from his Badi-ma's hot, hot roti, it gave him the power of the tiger. Aneel asks everyone in the family to make roti for Dada-ji to give him back the power. Everyone is too busy,
Rita Crayon Huang
Jan 30, 2012 Rita Crayon Huang rated it it was amazing
* * Winner!! * * Of the 2012 APALA Honor in Picture Books!

Hot, Hot Roti for Dada-ji is just beautiful. The illustrations by Ken Min are warm and all-embracing, just like the relationships and fantastical feats described, with bold, textured colors and crisp, clean shapes, and innovative close-ups and camera angles. It also doesn't hurt that the book is about food. By the end you'll feel inspired to whip up some roti yourself on the spot, yum, yum--which is great for kids, not to mention grown-u
Gabrielle Blockton
Date: November 3rd, 2014

Author: F. Zia; Illustrated by Ken Min

Title: Hot, Hot Roti for Dada-Ji

Plot: A young boy spends time with his grandfather (Dada-Ji)by listening to his courageous stories from when his grandfather was a little boy to making Hot, Hot Roti, an Indian delicacy, to help gain the strength his grandfather once had when he was a little boy. Will he succeed in making the best Hot, Hot Roti that his Dada-Ji has ever tasted?

Setting: The Family Home

Characters: Aneel, Dada-Ji, Dada-Ma,
Shelina
Oct 10, 2015 Shelina rated it it was amazing
"Hot, Hot Roti for Dada-ji" introduces students to traditions and culture of India and this story is a very fun filled and interesting story.The story focuses on Aneel, a boy who has his grandparents from India to visit him.Both grandparents are unique in their way and they tell exciting stories to Aneel.He gets very impressed with a story of a boy who is very strong and courageous.He makes roti made from wheat flour and wants to be fight the big bulls and other animals.This story connects to th ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Aneel loves to hear the stories his grandfather, Dada-ji, tells. When Dada-ji was young, he ate hot, hot roti and he became powerful, strong enough to fight cobras and tigers and elephants.

A grandfather-grandson story nicely flavored with India.

“Aneel turned to Dada-ji, who was standing on his head.

‘Will you tell me a story, Dada-ji?’ aneel asked.

‘Hunh-ji, yes, sir, one minute,’ said upside-down Dada-ji. Then he flipped over, landing with a soft THUP, and became a serene lotus on the rug.

Aneel
Mymcbooks
Aug 09, 2011 Mymcbooks rated it it was amazing
This story will bring back memories for anyone reading this book. Sitting with their grandparents listening to stories that makes you sit for hours under the moonlight. Combine with storytelling was the delicious food cooked by Aneel’s grandmother. This book was beautifully illustrated by Ken Min. The Author also used common Hindi words and phrases in this story making it interesting. I highly recommend this book.

Ai-Ling Louie
Aug 08, 2011 Ai-Ling Louie rated it liked it
Cute book in which a boy who lives in an extended family with his grandparents from India., He has a particuarly close relationship with his Dada-Ji(grandfather)who adores roti fresh from the frying pan. It's a book partuarly attractive to young boys as its done in a cartoony style and Dada-Ji is a superhero who ties cobras into knots. Hindi expressions are included for which there is a glossary. Contemporary books about Asian Indian Americans are sorely needed. Preschool to 2nd grade.
Yvette
Jul 06, 2012 Yvette rated it really liked it
Wonderful, lively story of a young boy whose grandparents come to visit him in USA from India.

His grandparents share wonderful practices with him, meditation, yoga, and most of all, story telling.

His grandfather tells an especially engaging story of a young village boy (himself as a lad) who was extraordinarity strong and brave and smart all because his mother was the best roti maker in the whole village.

Aimee
A cute story about the relationship between a boy and his dada-ji (grandfather). I read this to my class, and my two Indian students immediately made a connection to it. They enjoyed hearing me read a story that used their words from their language (even though I had a hard time pronouncing the words).
Mary Ann
Young Aneel’s grandfather Dada-ji has great fun telling how he got “the power of a tiger” when he was a boy by eating the best roti in town. Aneel is so excited that he races to the kitchen to make this Indian flatbread. Mouth-watering fun!
Beth
Sep 02, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it
A lovely story that can introduce kids to some of the vocabulary and cultural traditions of Indian families. Even something as small as having lentils in the kitchen might be a new concept to American kids as they are not typical pantry staples in our country.
Angelina Justice
This delightful story, about a boy and his Dada-ji, left me with a smile.

I have a curious craving for hot, salty roti cooked in some ghee. Don't understand a lot of what I just wrote? Good! That means you'll get the chance to learn as much as I did from this fantastic book.

Stephanie Grassie
Mar 08, 2013 Stephanie Grassie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child
I LOVED this book. I loved everything about it. The story line, the art, the lessons learned. It is absolutely fantastic and I highly recommend it. I do not even have children yet but already I have a copy of this book.
Pam
Jul 23, 2013 Pam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
Quirky tale of young Aneel who lives to spend time with his grandfather. I love the mixture of cooling into the story, as kids often relate to food. There's a certain magical realism about Indian storytelling that is delightful. So many teachable moments in this book.
Jen
The words and the pictures felt so complementary to me. I felt like the energy within the story was transferred to me as I read it.
Primwatee Maharaj-Groover
May 18, 2013 Primwatee Maharaj-Groover rated it it was amazing
I love this picture book. I thought it was funny and thoughtful. The art work is exquisite, overall a good read.
Crystal
I loved the playfulness of the grandpa with the boy. I wish I liked the pictures more. The faces were difficult for me.
Morgan Ellington
Morgan Ellington rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Ahsia
Ahsia rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2013
Charlene Mitchell
Charlene Mitchell rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2012
Hanna Morgan
Hanna Morgan rated it it was ok
Jul 03, 2012
Ben Worth
Ben Worth rated it it was ok
May 29, 2015