Start by marking “Hot, Hot Roti for Dada-Ji” as Want to Read:
Hot, Hot Roti for Dada-Ji

Hot, Hot Roti for Dada-Ji

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Annel's grandparents have come to stay, all the way from India. Aneel loves the sweet smell of his grandmother's incense and his grandfather, Dada-Ji, tells the world's best stories. This title features recipes which have useful pictures and easy-to-follow instructions.
Published April 1st 2011 by Lee & Low Books

To ask other readers questions about Hot, Hot Roti for Dada-Ji, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot, Hot Roti for Dada-Ji

The Jungle Book by Rudyard KiplingKim by Rudyard Kipling走得越远,离自己越近 by 洪梅Mama's Saris by Pooja MakhijaniRikki-Tikki-Tavi by Rudyard Kipling
India India
40th out of 107 books — 17 voters
Grandpa Green by Lane SmithThe Matchbox Diary by Paul FleischmanThe Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton JusterGrandfather's Journey by Allen SayRuby's Wish by Shirin Yim Bridges
Picture Books About Grandparents
58th out of 79 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Betsy
It’s not that contemporary picture books featuring Indian-American characters don’t exist. Even off the top of my head I’m able to instantly conjure up titles like Mama’s Saris or My Dadima Wears a Sari. It’s just that there’s not a whole lot of variety in the titles I’ve seen. The two I’ve just mentioned, by Pooja Makhijani and Kashmira Sheth respectively, are great little books, but I think there’s a fair amount of tales you can tell aside from getting all sari-based. Food has always offered t...more
Reader
If you're not drooling for some hot hot roti yourself by the end of this tale then you, sir, have no soul. Aneel loves his grandparents and there's nothing he likes more than hearing his grandfather tell crazy tall tales about his days growing up in India. In these stories Dada-ji could derive superhuman abilities from his mothers hot roti. When Aneel asks if Dada-ji would like some roti right now, the two set about whipping up a batch. The result is that they are able to indulge in their own sm...more
Doret
Aneel's grandparents have come to stay from India. Aneel loves spending time with his Dadi- ma and Dada-ji and hearing their stories. Aneel's Dada-ji, tells him about his adventures as boy going up in India.

Aneel's Dada-ji was strong brave and fearless; wrestling water buffalo, tying cobras in a knot. His strength came from his Badi-ma's hot, hot roti, it gave him the power of the tiger. Aneel asks everyone in the family to make roti for Dada-ji to give him back the power. Everyone is too busy,...more
Jill
Aneel’s grandparents have come from India to stay with them in America. Dada-ji, as you learn in the Hindi glossary at the end of this book, means paternal grandfather. Aneel loves learning from Dada-ji how to stand on his head and sit like a lotus plant. He also loves hearing about his grandparents’ village while he sits “on his grandfather’s lotus lap.”

Dada-ji has great stories. He avers that eating “hot, hot roti” gives him superhuman strength. (Roti means “bread” in Hindi, and is basically a...more
Neetha Vuppala
I am so excited about having found this book at my local library, as mouth-watering as the title itself is, this book is an absolute “feast for the eyes”! This is the first picture book by the author Farhana Zia, she lives in Framingham, MA and is originally from Hyderabad, India! The amazing illustrations by Ken Min are spot-on.

The story starts off with the young lad Aneel asking his grandparents, who are visiting him, to tell him a story. And Dada-ji very happily obliges him with a story in wh...more
Rita Crayon Huang
* * Winner!! * * Of the 2012 APALA Honor in Picture Books!

Hot, Hot Roti for Dada-ji is just beautiful. The illustrations by Ken Min are warm and all-embracing, just like the relationships and fantastical feats described, with bold, textured colors and crisp, clean shapes, and innovative close-ups and camera angles. It also doesn't hurt that the book is about food. By the end you'll feel inspired to whip up some roti yourself on the spot, yum, yum--which is great for kids, not to mention grown-u...more
Mary Ann
Young Aneel’s grandfather Dada-ji has great fun telling how he got “the power of a tiger” when he was a boy by eating the best roti in town. Aneel is so excited that he races to the kitchen to make this Indian flatbread. Mouth-watering fun!
Angelina Justice
This delightful story, about a boy and his Dada-ji, left me with a smile.

I have a curious craving for hot, salty roti cooked in some ghee. Don't understand a lot of what I just wrote? Good! That means you'll get the chance to learn as much as I did from this fantastic book.

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Aneel loves to hear the stories his grandfather, Dada-ji, tells. When Dada-ji was young, he ate hot, hot roti and he became powerful, strong enough to fight cobras and tigers and elephants.

A grandfather-grandson story nicely flavored with India.

“Aneel turned to Dada-ji, who was standing on his head.

‘Will you tell me a story, Dada-ji?’ aneel asked.

‘Hunh-ji, yes, sir, one minute,’ said upside-down Dada-ji. Then he flipped over, landing with a soft THUP, and became a serene lotus on the rug.

Aneel...more
Ai-Ling Louie
Cute book in which a boy who lives in an extended family with his grandparents from India., He has a particuarly close relationship with his Dada-Ji(grandfather)who adores roti fresh from the frying pan. It's a book partuarly attractive to young boys as its done in a cartoony style and Dada-Ji is a superhero who ties cobras into knots. Hindi expressions are included for which there is a glossary. Contemporary books about Asian Indian Americans are sorely needed. Preschool to 2nd grade.
Mymcbooks
This story will bring back memories for anyone reading this book. Sitting with their grandparents listening to stories that makes you sit for hours under the moonlight. Combine with storytelling was the delicious food cooked by Aneel’s grandmother. This book was beautifully illustrated by Ken Min. The Author also used common Hindi words and phrases in this story making it interesting. I highly recommend this book.

Yvette
Wonderful, lively story of a young boy whose grandparents come to visit him in USA from India.

His grandparents share wonderful practices with him, meditation, yoga, and most of all, story telling.

His grandfather tells an especially engaging story of a young village boy (himself as a lad) who was extraordinarity strong and brave and smart all because his mother was the best roti maker in the whole village.

Beth
A lovely story that can introduce kids to some of the vocabulary and cultural traditions of Indian families. Even something as small as having lentils in the kitchen might be a new concept to American kids as they are not typical pantry staples in our country.
Pam
Quirky tale of young Aneel who lives to spend time with his grandfather. I love the mixture of cooling into the story, as kids often relate to food. There's a certain magical realism about Indian storytelling that is delightful. So many teachable moments in this book.
Stephanie Grassie
I LOVED this book. I loved everything about it. The story line, the art, the lessons learned. It is absolutely fantastic and I highly recommend it. I do not even have children yet but already I have a copy of this book.
Crystal
I loved the playfulness of the grandpa with the boy. I wish I liked the pictures more. The faces were difficult for me.
Primwatee Maharaj-Groover
I love this picture book. I thought it was funny and thoughtful. The art work is exquisite, overall a good read.
ReadingWench
A great story of an boy and his visiting Grandfather from India. Fun and enjoyable.

AR 3.0
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
To me the best part was when Dada-Ji did a headstand on the pillow in front of Aneel. A.
Edward Sullivan
A lively, enjoyable story and a great debut by both author and illustrator.
Abby Turner
Darling story with the bonus of new words and foods
Molly
Be warned, reading this book will make you CRAVE roti...
paula
... and now I'm hungry for mango pickle!
Cade