Dangerous (Darkest Powers, #0.5) (Darkest Powers Bonus Pack I)

Dangerous (Darkest Powers, #0.5) (Darkest Powers 0.7)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  1,025 ratings  ·  48 reviews
How Derek and Simon’s dad disappeared and they ended up at Lyle House.

DANGEROUS, DIVIDED and DISENCHANTED have all been removed from the site. They’ll be edited, given cover art and made available as a “Darkest Powers bonus pack” via eBook in late September.
Published (first published August 13th 2010)

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
186th out of 342 books — 759 voters
Kiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie MoningAlpha by Rachel VincentPrey by Rachel VincentPride by Rachel VincentShift by Rachel Vincent
The best SQUEEE books
98th out of 147 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Jamie
This is part of Kelley Armstrong's free online fiction. The stories can be found here.

This story explains how Derek and Simon's Dad disappeared, and how they wound up at the Lyle House. It was interesting and written well for such a short story. It was good to hear more about Derek as he is my favorite character so far in the Darkest Powers Series.

Entertaining. :)
Emily
I absolutly loved this novella! when i was reading the darkest powers series i always wondered how Simon and Derek got to Lyle house and also wondered about their background. i loved loved loved that it was in Dereks point of view because he was my favorite character by far in the darkest powers series. Even though this book is so small i wish i could get it in book form and not only online that would complete my collection. :)
Lisi
Inhalt:

In dieser Kurzgeschichte lernen wir Simon und Derek kennen und erfahren, wie sie schließlich von zu Hause, wo sie mit ihrem Vater gelebt haben schließlich im Lyle House landen und welche Umstände dazu geführt haben.

Meine Meinung:

Wenn man bedenkt, dass Derek eigentlich sehr klug ist, ist es seltsam, dass man ihn austricksen konnte, um ihn und Simon ins Lyle House zu bringen. Ich habe mich immer gewundert, wie das wohl passiert ist. Diese Geschichte spielt zeitlich vor The Summoning daher w...more
Koorihime-sama
READ ONLINE WHILE IT WAS STILL FREE.

Review/Rating:

5 out of 5

Derek Souza is a werewolf. After his brothers are taken away, Simon Bae’s father takes him in. However, when Derek accidentally hurts someone, they have to go on the run again. Though, this time will be different when their Dad suddenly disappears. What will happen to them now?

Since I have already read the books in the Darkest Powers arc, I decided to re-red it along with the free online short stories. In the books, you really don’t get...more
Jenn
Derek is a werewolf who spent the first five years of his life in a research facility. He started out with three other werewolves but when the others attacked a nurse they disappeared. The only other child he sees is Simon and when Simon’s dad offer to take him home Derek jumps at the chance. Ten years later Derek, Simon and Simon’s Dad have lived under various aliases, always hiding from Simon’s Dad’s former employers for reasons they don’t understand. When Derek severely injures a boy attackin...more
CekMoNSter
Reading this made me realize how much I miss reading about Derek, Simon and Chloe. I couldn`t wait for teen supernaturals to meet up, so finishing this short one while reading The Rising kind of help me to cool off a bit..

The story was about how the boys; Derek and Simon came to the Lyle House, pre-chloe meeting. Their dad was missing and the police were swarming after them when a student went to coma after being thrown by the young were. The charges were dropped however, but something else cro...more
Yukiraking
I really enjoyed this story. Mostly because it was told in Derek's point of view, and it had more of a logical flow to it, whereas Chloe's perspective in the actual trilogy had more of a scripted, movie feel. It was well written, and less action packed than the trilogy, but I think that helped it, rather than hindered it.

After reading it, I felt as though I had a more thorough understanding of both the boys, and their father. Considering how little time Kit Bae spends within the trilogy it was n...more
Amanda
This is the story before the first book in the Darkest Powers series, The Summoning. This book is told from Derek's perspective talking about how he and his brother Simon ended up at Lyle House. It was fun to read from Derek's point of view and see how everything unfolded.
Daniela Filippini
It was really good to know Derek and Simon's story, how where they lives before Lyle House and how they got there. Seeing things from Derek's point of view made me understand him a lot better.
Patty
I love Derek and Simon! Hearing things through Derek's voice was nice. Was interesting to get into his head. I feel for the guy, he's been through a lot. Their brotherly bond is endearing. I also love their dad! A single father doing a great job with his boys. I want to know more about everything that's going on. The story keeps getting deeper and deeper. The mystery of the father's disappearance, who he worked for, them hiding, and being pursued. Can't wait to get to the rest of the series to s...more
Alexander
Interesante, pero al final se me hizo aburrida, ya que sabía lo que iba a pasar
Page
YEA - I really enjoyed this book. It's nice to see that I was right. That there was more to Derek than just a glower and a scowl from the get go.

I loved the background info. It was really good to see the whole landscape of the world we're thrown into. From the Summoning, you kind of just get the violence ramped up on you from nowhere. Don't get me wrong, I like my YA violent, but it's good to see that the sinister plot began long before we met Chloe.

I do hope at sometime we learn more about th...more
G
Ah, Derek! Ah, Simon! Boys, you so lovely, how I have missed you two. I must admit I missed the girls (Tori even more than Chloe, shockingly), but I enjoyed this so much. Derek is the only tortured soul I actively care about, and I love his relationship with Simon so, so much. I love their flaws the most. Stupidly eager to take the blame for each other's issues, oh boys.

This author makes me drool. I love the twists and the scenes and the dialogues, and the ending, although it being a sequel was...more
Lucy Farrin
I love the Darkest Powers series and when it came to an end, all I wanted was more, more info, back ground knowledge and just fore the story to continue.

These bonus packs do that, and I really enjoyed hearing what happened to Derek and Simon before they came to Lyle house. I felt really bad for Derek, all he waned is to keep Simon safe but everything just seems to hit him back in the face. But he is intelligent, and has kick ass wolf senses that see them through.

Overall I enjoyed these short sto...more
Miranda (Tempest Books)
Yay! A novella from Derek's perspective. I loved getting to find out exactly what happened and how Derek and Simon ended up at Lyle House.
Shona Lawrence
Another great short read from Kelley Armstrong.

This story tells how Simon and his dad "adopted" Derek, who spent the first 5 years of his life in some sort of institution with other child werewolves. Life hasn't gone smoothly with the family moving suddenly and changing identities when needed. When the boys father goes missing Derek thinks the institution is to blame and are looking to bring him back.

I'm looking forward to reading more of the boys in the rest of the Darkest Powers books

Carolyn F.
Paranormal, ebook. About Derek and Simon on the run with Simon's dad. Derek's a werewolf that was in some kind of a lab/home and was rescued by Simon's dad but for that reason or one of his own they're always on the run. Trouble happens and Simon's dad is missing. The story ends kind of abruptly to me. I'm feeling like this is either part of a larger story or just an idea the author was tooling around with. It was good and I would like to read the rest.
Trisha
Jan 11, 2014 Trisha marked it as to-read
Bought it Here
Tiffany
I have always liked Derek so it was nice to get into his head a little bit. I found the book a little bit long considering a lot of the information I already knew from reading the series but it was great to get a little more information about Derek and Simon.
Kayla
If your planing or have already ready read Kelly Armstrongs darkest power series you have to read this book. It explains Derek's life before the Lyle House and how Simon and Derek ended up there. Definitely worth reading and highly recommended if reading this series.
Amie
I really enjoyed this book. It was nice to see that there is a lot more to Derek and Simon than the actual book let on. It was a real insight into their life before Lyle House and now I am more curious about the disappearance of their father than I was before.
Casey
awesome! as much as i wanted a short story thingy when derek already knew chloe, this also was very interesting to read. The prologue made my heart ache for derek... which isn't a bad thing!

gotta love that derek, huh?
Venessaa ♡☮♫
I really loved this prequel!:)
I've read it decades ago (kidding :D) and I've decide to read it again last night. I never thought about how much I missed reading the Darkest Powers books.
I really love the series though!:)
Michaela
I loved this story. I love reading from Derek's PoV, he's one of my most favorite characters from the Darkest Powers series. I really liked getting the back-story of how Derek and Simon came to be at the Lyle House.
Megan
Awesome short story. As always Armstong is an amazing writer, I've always loved it. I liked being able to view Derek and Simon outside of Chloe's PoV. It gave new definition to the characters.
Dottie Butterfield
interesting getting the back story on characters that will be major players in the series. now that I have all three prequel books tucked away in my read column it's time to begin the summoning.
Joy
This is the story of Simon and Derek leading up to them going to Lyle House when their dad goes missing.

It was okay for a short story, interesting to read a bit more about them.
Beth
I definetly want more. I think kelley armstrong should redo the darkest powers series in the point of view of Derek. He is such a misunderstood character in the series!!
Anoolka
Darkest Powers prequel. It's ok, not great and doesn't bring all that much to the series but it's well written. Derek is the pov character and it's mostly him and Simon.
2.5
  • A Fantasy Medley
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.2)
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • The Summer Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.5)
  • A Dance with Darkness (Angelfire, #0.5)
  • First Day of the Rest of Your Life (The Morganville Vampires, #0.5)
  • Shadow Days (Nightshade, #0.5)
  • Shelby's Journal (Fallen Shorts, #3.1)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Cabel's Story (Dream Catcher, #1.1)
  • Breathless (Firelight, #3.5)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Lost Scene from Hallowed (Unearthly, #2.1)
  • An Iron Fey Valentine (The Iron Fey #4.4)
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • A Witch's Memory (The Council, #1)
  • Red Velvet and Absinthe
  • The Lost Letters of Brother Gabriel (The Dark Divine, #2.5)

Today, she continues to spin tales of ghosts and demons and werewolves, while safely locked a...more
More about Kelley Armstrong...
The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3) The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1)

“So, let me get this straight," he said to me. "You save my ass and you're a loser. I stick up for you because of it and I'm a hero. How does that work?"

"I don't know. But it's so sweet.”
19 likes
“It reminded me of what Dad said after every snail’s crawl home from
Albany when snow hit.“It’s New York, people. It’s winter. We get snow. If you aren’t prepared
to deal with it, move to Miami.”
17 likes