Start by marking “English Phonetics And Phonology: A Practical Course” as Want to Read:
English Phonetics And Phonology: A Practical Course

English Phonetics And Phonology: A Practical Course

A complete basic course in English phonetics and phonology, used in many parts of the world, by native and non-native speakers who may be training to teach English or studying the language at advanced level. The edition takes account of recent developments in the teaching of phonology. At the end of each chapter there are notes giving information on further reading, some d ...more
Paperback
Published July 26th 1991 by Cambridge University Press (first published May 26th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about English Phonetics And Phonology, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
E it is available on internet.you can easily find it.

Stacy
Jul 10, 2009 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although at times I wanted to pull my hair out while reading this, it is still a very thorough guide when it comes to breaking language down to its most basic roots. A must-read for anyone interested in the building blocks of language.
Nourhan
I want to kill any one who tells me that phonetics is an interesting branch, this faculty leads me to madness and I'll hate all things I like and one of them is phonetics. If I read this book in other circumstances, I would get a lot of benefits. Any way it's so useful but if you read it in calm mood and without stress of faculty and exams.
Suzi
Feb 21, 2017 Suzi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, I didn't finish this book (because I didn't have to read everything for my study). I quite enjoyed it, but some things were a little hazy (I still don't understand "word stress" and "sentence stress" (or whatever it was called), all I know is that is caused me to STRESS).
If you want to learn more about phonetics and phonology, I think this is a good book for you; just take your time when you read it.
Xx
May 27, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was extremely helpful in conducting the research needed to write my B-level essay in linguistics (focusing on pronunciation and differences between American accents).
Dunya Al-Mishqab
Jun 21, 2011 Dunya Al-Mishqab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Phonology is my favorite field in linguistics. This book had helped me a lot.
Mai
Oct 09, 2014 Mai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let's just say they teach us absolute shit in college. They give you little stuff and expect you to be a fabulous phonetician and shit. No solid books, no referenced stuff, nothing. And my professor is a total jerk. Doesn't even bother to show his face and teach us something, and all is left to the Demonstrator which is good, but you a know 22 year old. i mean you take the information and you can't link it back to anything. Anything compared to the shit I study in college is good.

At least here t
Ne.
Jul 11, 2009 Ne. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a complete basic course in Eng. phnetics & phonology that bridges the gap between simple pronouciation handboks & serious textbooks! 2 me it can be used by both native & non-native speakers, who may be training 2 teach Eng. or studying the lg. technically. presenting the basic factual info. & crucial theoretical issues in a practical way easily, the book includes 20 chapters.
Felipe Vivar
Apr 24, 2015 Felipe Vivar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, I think is very useful, practical and educative. Its pedagogical examples are very clear
Catherine
Very difficult to chew ...but it had to be done!
Levine
Apr 22, 2012 Levine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this ebook, and it is very helpful. eventhough ive got several phonology books, I recommended this English Phonetics and Phonology for those who really want to know more about Phonology.
Habib
chapter one
Ruby
The book itself is quite good, I'd say. It's clear and thorough, also knows when to shut up, mentions the problems that come with phonology itself, the different ways to approach it, but it is not without an opinion of its own. That being said, I'm still not particulary fond of phonology and the exercises were a little vague at times.
M. Azhaari Shah Sulaiman
The best book I've read so far in relation to Phonetic and Phonology.
retno su
Mar 29, 2016 retno su rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just wanna read this book
Ayulia Syam
Oct 19, 2014 Ayulia Syam is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
it's important
Mohammed Hamida
Jun 18, 2016 Mohammed Hamida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
what makes this book more prominent than other books which deal with English phonetic is that it is less complex and simple
Fatima Ahemad
Jun 24, 2014 Fatima Ahemad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
be
Štěpán Tichý
Jun 23, 2016 Štěpán Tichý rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate this book. It's horrible.

Nah, just kidding. I just hope that I wont need it next year.
ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥
I read this for my second year in college. It is the best and easiest book for me to learn Phonology.
Kristel Polett
I just want to read the book!!!!!!!
Fay
Sep 29, 2014 Fay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was bad idea. But a very helpful book.
Gadeer Al-Shathry
A good introductory for phonetics and phonology. It presents the basics in the science of speech sounds..
Jana
Apr 04, 2010 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
It's not an easy cookie, I hated this book. But you have to know it if you want to know, if you know what I mean.
Ervina
May 11, 2015 Ervina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
back to reality ugh i hate exams
Apr 09, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tough read but well worth it
Haghighat
I hate such a book but I had to read it!
Nimrodel
Argh, so difficult to understand but so useful at the same time! Peter Roach opens the gates to the world of English Pronunciation (the best he can do it). Definitely, not a book for study time.
Ishani
Aug 03, 2011 Ishani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very comprehensive and detailed with suitable illustrations. The two Audio CDs were a great help!
Outaila Outaila
  • Aspects of the Theory of Syntax
  • How Languages are Learned
  • Practical English Usage
  • Language
  • An Outline of English Literature (Lernmaterialien)
  • A History of the English Language
  • Dying Words: Endangered Languages and What They Have to Tell Us
  • Language Change: Progress or Decay?
  • Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language