Start by marking “English Phonetics And Phonology: A Practical Course” as Want to Read:
English Phonetics And Phonology: A Practical Course

English Phonetics And Phonology: A Practical Course

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  347 ratings  ·  34 reviews
A complete basic course in English phonetics and phonology, used in many parts of the world, by native and non-native speakers who may be training to teach English or studying the language at advanced level. The edition takes account of recent developments in the teaching of phonology. At the end of each chapter there are notes giving information on further reading, some d ...more
Paperback
Published July 26th 1991 by Cambridge University Press (first published May 26th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about English Phonetics And Phonology, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
E it is available on internet.you can easily find it.

Stacy
Although at times I wanted to pull my hair out while reading this, it is still a very thorough guide when it comes to breaking language down to its most basic roots. A must-read for anyone interested in the building blocks of language.
This book was extremely helpful in conducting the research needed to write my B-level essay in linguistics (focusing on pronunciation and differences between American accents).
Nourhan
I want to kill any one who tells me that phonetics is an interesting branch, this faculty leads me to madness and I'll hate all things I like and one of them is phonetics. If I read this book in other circumstances, I would get a lot of benefits. Any way it's so useful but if you read it in calm mood and without stress of faculty and exams.
Mai
Let's just say they teach us absolute shit in college. They give you little stuff and expect you to be a fabulous phonetician and shit. No solid books, no referenced stuff, nothing. And my professor is a total jerk. Doesn't even bother to show his face and teach us something, and all is left to the Demonstrator which is good, but you a know 22 year old. i mean you take the information and you can't link it back to anything. Anything compared to the shit I study in college is good.

At least here t
Felipe Vivar
Great book, I think is very useful, practical and educative. Its pedagogical examples are very clear
Ne.
a complete basic course in Eng. phnetics & phonology that bridges the gap between simple pronouciation handboks & serious textbooks! 2 me it can be used by both native & non-native speakers, who may be training 2 teach Eng. or studying the lg. technically. presenting the basic factual info. & crucial theoretical issues in a practical way easily, the book includes 20 chapters.
Levine
I got this ebook, and it is very helpful. eventhough ive got several phonology books, I recommended this English Phonetics and Phonology for those who really want to know more about Phonology.
Dunya Al-Mishqab
Phonology is my favorite field in linguistics. This book had helped me a lot.
Catherine
Very difficult to chew ...but it had to be done!
Nura.m
This book helped me SO much in my studies! I think I will be using it in the future too <3
Fay
This was bad idea. But a very helpful book.
Cristian Giovanny
thank you so much... is amazing.
Kristel Polett
I just want to read the book!!!!!!!
Faezeh
*hysterical laughter*
Ayulia Syam
Oct 19, 2014 Ayulia Syam is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
it's important
Ty Vodoi
it is very good
Ruby
The book itself is quite good, I'd say. It's clear and thorough, also knows when to shut up, mentions the problems that come with phonology itself, the different ways to approach it, but it is not without an opinion of its own. That being said, I'm still not particulary fond of phonology and the exercises were a little vague at times.
Nimrodel
Argh, so difficult to understand but so useful at the same time! Peter Roach opens the gates to the world of English Pronunciation (the best he can do it). Definitely, not a book for study time.
Abdulmogeeb AlHumaid
with my teacher Dr.Zaidan Ali Jassim help , I found this book very helpful and useful , this corrected my pronunciation and helped me help other to produce a good pronunciation .
Jana
It's not an easy cookie, I hated this book. But you have to know it if you want to know, if you know what I mean.
Tina
Nov 26, 2008 Tina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I really want this book. It's what Clai Rice used (I think) in my favorite class at Montevallo, Linguistics.
ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥
I read this for my second year in college. It is the best and easiest book for me to learn Phonology.
Gadeer Al-Shathry
A good introductory for phonetics and phonology. It presents the basics in the science of speech sounds..
Ishani
Very comprehensive and detailed with suitable illustrations. The two Audio CDs were a great help!
M. Azhaari Shah
The best book I've read so far in relation to Phonetic and Phonology.
Ebrahim Badakhshan
This is a great introductory book om English Phonetics and phonology.
Haghighat
I hate such a book but I had to read it!
Ervina Dayanthi
back to reality ugh i hate exams
  • The Study of Language
  • The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language
  • How Languages Are Learned
  • A History of the English Language
  • Pragmatics
  • An Outline of English Literature (Lernmaterialien)
  • Practical English Usage
  • Aspects of the Theory of Syntax
  • Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language
  • Language
  • The Articulate Mammal: An Introduction to Psycholinguistics
  • A Practical English Grammar
Phonetics Introducing Phonetics English Phonetics Phonology Tch 2 English Phonetics and Phonology eBook: A Practical Course Pets Questions And Answers: An Abc Radio Vet Explains How To Take Care Of Pets