Start by marking “Savage (Otherworld Stories, #0.03)” as Want to Read:
Savage (Otherworld Stories, #0.03)

Savage (Otherworld Stories 0.03--in Men of the Otherworld)

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,230 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews

No longer available online - now in the anthology, Men of the Otherworld

Savage is about Jeremy Danvers finding Clay.

To ask other readers questions about Savage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Savage

Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
Boy version of Clayton is only slightly less entertaining than Adult Clay. Whether he's screaming during car rides, causing Jeremy to swerve into other lanes of traffic, or taking Nick's dares to jump out of a tree or down an elevator shaft, Clayton is hilarious.

Seeing him as a child also helped me understand better what it meant that he was closer to a wolf instinct-wise than a human.

Beyond that, this story offers insight into Pack dynamic and foreshadows future events.

I liked it.
Mayi Taylor
Dec 11, 2011 Mayi Taylor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pnr-romance, shifters
Savage tells the story of Clay, when he was bitten as a child and then rescued and adopted by Jeremy. I enjoyed reading more about Clay's history and it kind of explains why his wolf is stronger and takes over so many aspects of his life...
Kristine (The Writer's Inkwell)
This is by far one of my favorite, if not the favorite short story from the Women of the Otherworld series. When it comes to origin stories, too often authors are afraid to go into detail or to spend an adequate amount of time actually making it a story. Most just use it in passing, but for Kelley Armstrong, it's clear how much she truly loves not only Clayton Danvers, but the North American werewolf Pack. Because to call this a short story, would seem a bit ridiculous considering it's one-hundr ...more
Kirsten
Jun 28, 2013 Kirsten rated it really liked it
Review from the perspective of not having read the main series - the novels - but reading from the beginning of the short stories that predate the first novel of the series

Savage is the story of Clayton (Clay) from when he first volunteers to be bitten to become a werewolf It continues to a period of his life where his human side is nearly completely forgotten as he lives in a Bayou away from civilization. It then continues on to what happens when he is discovered by a member of The Pack and the
Helen
Jan 28, 2016 Helen rated it it was amazing
I am not often a huge fan of novellas. Even when I love a series, the novellas are often interesting but not a great read for me. This book was really good! It was Clay's story of his childhood... how he became a werewolf, how he met Jeremy and the relationship between the two. It gave more depth to their personalities and shed more light on pack dynamics. I really enjoyed it!
Kat Klein
Dec 27, 2013 Kat Klein rated it it was amazing
This is Clayton's backstory, from childhood. Having spent the first 6 years of his life in a situation of child abuse and neglect, when he comes across a 'monster' in the woods, he asks to be bitten. Granted, no mutt is going to purposely turn a 6 year old child but thru luck and overconfidence Clay managed to escape into the Bayou, surviving by shifting without control between wolf pup and human.

When Malcolm Danvers comes across him and relays his story back to the Pack, Clay's life was again i
Ashley P
Clay's beginning is equally tragic and intriguing. I like the way this is written, almost with a sympathetic edge towards someone who I've always seen as one of the Otherworlds most complicated characters. Jeremy's beginning, in a way is here as well, as he begins to become the man who we all know, and some of of love and adore.
Lana
May 15, 2015 Lana rated it it was amazing
A great read. This could have been a full novel, it was so well written. Loved seeing Clay and Jeremy in their beginnings. Jeremy was at his best here. I do like him in the books set after he became alpha but sometimes he is not as well written and his relationship with Clayton isn't as good as it is here.
Namista
Feb 26, 2016 Namista rated it it was amazing
I think Clayton's relationship with Jeremy was on a completely different emotional level. His relationship with Elena pales in comparison. The more I read these prequels, the more I adore Jeremy.
Melissa
May 23, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Excellent story! This backstory is Clay's (one of the main characters in Bitten). It covers everything from how he became a werewolf, his childhood and growing up experiences, how he joined the pack, to how he obtained his current place in it. I highly recommend this backstory for anyone who wants to know or understand Clay more.
Alfreda Morrissey
Mar 10, 2016 Alfreda Morrissey rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of all the stories! It was funny, interesting and delightfully charming. I LOVE Clayton's character in this one.
Carrie
Dec 26, 2014 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Read and reviewed as part of Men of the Otherworld.
Jackie Burke
Jun 26, 2014 Jackie Burke rated it it was amazing
great story its everything you would what to know about Clayton's childhood.
Mιss •kαthєяίиє•  Τhε Emεrαℓd Pяίиcεss®
I didn't realize at first the age of Clay. But this story, it was about a young boy who asks to get bitten by an old man when he finds out that he can turn into a wolf.

Years pass and the boy, now savage as it denies his human self, changing back and forth into a wolf or a human boy, finds himself back to the place he was bitten. Jeremy is another werewolf who tries to lure him back into civilization.

It was a really weird story and it made me think about the domestication of the different animals
Mayko
Oct 08, 2014 Mayko rated it really liked it
This was the 2nd non-YA urban fantasy that I have read that was written from a child's POV. I really did like it! Clayton stole my heart and although I generally am not a wer-fan this story went a long way towards making me change my mind about shifter tales in general.
gudreeds
Mar 21, 2014 gudreeds added it
Shelves: ebooks
A novella. Date changed as literally just after midnight
Michelle Tempted By Books
Aug 26, 2012 Michelle Tempted By Books rated it it was amazing
The story of how Jeremy found and raised Clayton as his own. I thoroughly enjoyed this story. I gained an in depth understanding of how Clayton's mind works. I also saw Jeremy in a less overbearing light. Well I guess I saw him as more of a mother than anything else. I laughed quite a bit while at the same time I found some parts evoking other emotions. Overall its an excellent story, a must read.
Louisa
Dec 09, 2013 Louisa rated it it was amazing
Great short story of how Clay deliberately became a werewolf, and how he came to love Jeremy the way he does, and other milestones in Clay's early life like the kindergarten class pet gerbil dissection. So good!
Crystal
Apr 28, 2013 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

This is definitely a book for those who have read the underworld series. I don't think it would have been nearly as enjoyable without the context of the series.
Lacey
Oct 08, 2013 Lacey rated it really liked it
Finally, the story of how Clayton became a werewolf. I really liked learning about how his relationship with Jeremy started.

Read as part of Men of the Otherworld.
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Sep 11, 2013 Angie (Mind Malfunction) rated it it was amazing
Savage is a short prequel, book 0.03 in the Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong. This story is about Clayton's first turning. It's super short.
Dani
Jul 31, 2012 Dani rated it it was amazing
This is the story of Clayton's childhood - being bitten, turning feral, getting rescued by Jeremy and their trials & adventures afterwards.
Martine
Apr 14, 2013 Martine rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Clay Denvers story. There is no romance in this story, but it is wonderful to get to know Clay and Jeremy a bit more.
Joanne Donn
Aug 27, 2012 Joanne Donn rated it it was amazing
As Clay happens to be one of my fave characters, finding out about his background made me really happy!
Fiona
Sep 07, 2012 Fiona rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
My favourite of the Otherworld stories - this is amazingly well written and deeply moving.
Wsb
Mar 16, 2012 Wsb rated it it was amazing
Awesome story. That's all I can say. Oh and I love Clayton even more after reading this.
Kim
Aug 17, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
The sotry of Clay as a child werewolf - in Men of the Otherworld.
mrsj
Mar 06, 2013 mrsj rated it really liked it
This is s story of clay's childhood and how he met Jeremy.
Lesley
Jan 14, 2013 Lesley rated it really liked it
Loved learning more about these werewolves early years.
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2 (Otherworld Stories, #8.1; The Chronicles of the Black Company 0.3)
  • By Blood We Live
  • The Ghosts of Bourbon Street  (InCryptid, #3.1)
  • Dates From Hell (The Hollows, #2.5; Otherworld Stories, #5.2)
  • Campus Chills
  • Red Velvet and Absinthe
  • The Bitten Word
  • Twilight Zone: 19 Original Stories on the 50th Anniversary
  • Vampires: The Recent Undead
  • Magic Tests (Kate Daniels, #5.3)

More about Kelley Armstrong...

Otherworld Stories (5 books)
  • Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories #I)
  • Tales of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories #II)
  • Otherworld Nights (Otherworld Stories #III)
  • Otherworld Secrets (Otherworld Stories #IV)
  • Otherworld Chills (Otherworld Stories #V)

“For the last hour of our trip Jeremy ran through the do’s and don’ts. Most of them were don’ts. The simple act of dining now came with even more rules than Miss Fishton had for the kindergarten sandbox. I couldn’t raid the icebox. I couldn’t ask anyone except Jeremy for between-meal snacks. I had to eat with utensils. I had to chew with my mouth shut. I had to sit with the other Pack youth. I couldn’t touch any food before everyone older than I had taken their share. I couldn’t take seconds until everyone older than I had taken seconds. I couldn’t eat other people’s scraps. I couldn’t eat food I found on the floor. With all these rules I began to fear I might have to starve, rather than risk disobedience. I hoped it’d be a short weekend.” 1 likes