Start by marking “Bargain (Otherworld Stories, #5.3)” as Want to Read:
Bargain (Otherworld Stories, #5.3)

Bargain (Otherworld Stories #5.3)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  669 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Xavier gets the “From Hell” letter theft job.

Available free online
Published (first published December 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bargain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bargain

chucklesthescot
Xavier wants to make Elena a professional contact of his and plans to help run a man eating mutt out of town. He also decides to try to find a job that he can hire her for and is intrigued to hear about the Jack the Ripper documents.

I failed to really see the point to this story. It is meant to be the lead up to Elena's investigation in 'Broken' but it doesn't really add anything to the story and can easily be skipped. It is just Xavier sitting thinking for the most part.
Shardallinee
description

Bargain is a prequel to Broken (Women of the Otherworld series), and it is a very short tale about how Xavier got the job for Elena - stealing Jack the Ripper's From Hell letter in exchange of giving her a serial killer werewolf.

Something this simple, what could go wrong?

Yes, what indeed, Xavier? ;) He seems it a perfect bargain, a starting point of a working relationship between him and Elena. Easy? It turned out as anything but.

description
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
First time Xavier's shown up since Stolen. I'd forgotten about him (the teleporting half demon if you forgot about him too).

Short POV that walks you through Xavier's conniving to get Elena's help in Broken. MEH.
Carrie
Dec 26, 2014 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: calibre-library, 2014
Curious how Xavier ended up getting the From Hell job? This story gives the motivations and backstory that led to all the drama that came along with a "simple job." This would be a good lead in to reading Broken, but is definitely not required reading. You get some insight into how the supernatural underbelly operates, but other than that, there's not much value added.
Tammy
Mar 17, 2015 Tammy rated it did not like it
eh...
Lorre
Jan 20, 2014 Lorre rated it liked it
Shelves: read-complete
About Xavier, the half demon who worked for the compound people in Stolen.

It's a very short story about Xavier and the story has no real ending so I guess I will read more of Xavier and his bargain in later in a full novel.
IbNancy
Aug 15, 2012 IbNancy rated it really liked it
just downloaded it for free from her site ~to read yet
Just found it's included in "The Tales of the Otherworld" book now, so I have read it!
OK but that was 2 years ago, definitely going to read these again.
Highly recommend Tales of the Otherworld and Men of the Otherworld for all the short stories and background of all the characters in the series of books.
gremlin
Sep 03, 2012 gremlin rated it liked it
I'm sure this is probably good background info if I had read it anywhere near when I read Broken. I only very vaguely remember that one though, and as a virtual standalone it isn't a very interesting story.
Michelle Tempted By Books
A short story where Xavier plots to get Elena's help in collecting the "From Hell" letter. This is just a back story, it really has no barring in the entire story and will not give insight to anyone who is unfamiliar with the Otherworld.
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Lacey
Sep 28, 2013 Lacey rated it liked it
A little more background on the From Hell letter and Xavier. Somewhat confusing in that I'm not sure what Xavier's motivations are for befriending Elena and getting her on his side. Seems a little open ended on that matter.
Rhiannon
Mar 07, 2012 Rhiannon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the otherworld series
Shelves: otherworld, ebook
This is a short story, giving a bit of background on some of the charactors throughout the Otherworld series. It's a fun quick read. Can be found on her website http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/free-o...
Louisa
Jan 04, 2014 Louisa rated it it was amazing
Set before book 6, and how Xavier wanted to build up a working relationship with Elena, and yeah, he actually has a family, 3 older siblings, and yeah, he thought that was it was going to be good. Loved it!
Mel
Sep 02, 2012 Mel rated it liked it
Short story, a prequel to Broken, about how Xavier got the job for Elena. Too short to give it a higher ranking, but I loved the humor, especially the bit about Xavier's scar.
Elizabeth
Mar 27, 2016 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
I love anything Kelley Armstrong writes in the Otherworld series. These short stories give us more insight into character we may not know very well or revisit those we love.
Kerrie Salsac
Nov 19, 2013 Kerrie Salsac rated it really liked it
Patricia
Aug 11, 2011 Patricia rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
I can't give a story by Kelley Armstrong less than 3 stars, esp since this one is a shortie. I like Xavier, but it's just too short to really rate it. :)
Riana Elizabeth
Dec 30, 2012 Riana Elizabeth rated it it was ok
doesn't work well as a stand alone. Even if you've read the complete series, this is just more of a set-up scene.
Lilian
Dec 19, 2012 Lilian rated it it was ok
I am sure the story is good, but the short lack something....I wish it had more detail.
Lesley
Jun 17, 2013 Lesley rated it liked it
Short story about Xavier and the letter from hell.
Susan
Feb 07, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, 2013, 2014
re-read 7/5/2014
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
C Lee
C Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Alexis Meisenheimer
Alexis Meisenheimer marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
FktFul
FktFul rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2016
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2 (Otherworld Stories, #8.1; The Chronicles of the Black Company 0.3)
  • Red Velvet and Absinthe
  • By Blood We Live
  • The Bitten Word
  • Campus Chills
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • Modern Magic: Tales of Fantasy and Horror
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror 2010
  • Dates From Hell (The Hollows, #2.5; Otherworld Stories, #5.2)
  • Call to the Hunt
  • A Very Vampire Christmas (Sookie Stackhouse, #10.1)
  • Believe
  • Twilight Zone: 19 Original Stories on the 50th Anniversary
  • PUMPED
  • Rescue Me

More about Kelley Armstrong...

Otherworld Stories (5 books)
  • Men of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories #1)
  • Tales of the Otherworld (Otherworld Stories #2)
  • Otherworld Nights (Otherworld Stories #3)
  • Otherworld Secrets (Otherworld Stories #4)
  • Otherworld Chills (Otherworld Stories #5)