Start by marking “Grimm's Fairy Stories” as Want to Read:
Grimm's Fairy Stories

Grimm's Fairy Stories

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,321 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers.

Contains stories such as "The Goose Girl", "Hansel and Grethel", "Cinderella", "The Golden Goose", "The Frog Prince" and many more.
Published by IndyPublish.com (first published February 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Grimm's Fairy Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grimm's Fairy Stories

Marvin
Jun 05, 2013 Marvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Note: I am reading a kindle version of the 1922 publication of this collection titled Grimm's Fairy Stories. It is equal to 144 pages long and has 28 of the Grim Brother's tales. The Kindle version does not have the illustrations so obviously I can not comment on them.

This is the first time I've actually read Grimm's fairy tales. I know a lot of them, as does everyone else, but only through the watered down Disney version, various children TV shows (Does anyone remember Shirley Temple Theater?)
Kirsty
Video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rrab...

As with any short story collection, there were some I really enjoyed in here and others I wasn't so bothered about. I felt glad to have finally read this collection because it is a classic and it was interesting to see the traditional fairy stories and compare them with my previous knowledge of newer versions. The originals are a lot more gruesome and at times chilling. I'm glad I listened to this on audiobook because it made the stories more
Nicholas
Aug 26, 2013 Nicholas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I imagine that everyone comments on this, but first off it's worth saying that this collection of tales is a real eye-opener when set beside the Disney canon. I was aware of the major differences in some of the stories, like Cinderella with the fur slipper instead of glass and the sisters doing some fairly terrible things to themselves but I never imagined for example that Disney deleted Snow White's sister from the story altogether.

In terms of writing style, most of these tales are short an
Toi Thomas
This is one of those cases where you’ve heard of something for so long that you think you’ve already experienced it, but then you realize that you haven’t so you give it a try and it’s not what you expected…Does that make sense?

Everyone is familiar with some aspect of the Grim Fairly Tales, but how many of us have actually read any of the original stories. A fan a fairytales for as long as I can remember, I decided it was time for me to right a great wrong I had committed against myself. I had n
Derek Bailey
Jan 13, 2016 Derek Bailey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, novels, 2015
Obviously these tales are classics and this collection is certainly a lovely one. At the same time it is also interesting to think of how much better (not to mention kid-friendly) more modern takes on these stories are. I think if you enjoyed the classic Disney movies as a kid, you should definitely give this one a read since it is very interesting to see what inspired those movies.

I also listened to this on audiobook which worked out really great since these are kind of meant to be told out lou
Miranda
Mar 04, 2015 Miranda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book. It's good to finally know the originals of these stories, but I'm now confused as to why anyone would ever wish for a "fairy tale romance". That just seems utterly masochistic. Snow White and the miller's daughter from Rumpelstiltskin got the ridiculously short end of a stick that had evidently been found in the privy, but most were bad enough.
Abbi Sargent
Fun read! Lots of short fairy stories to enjoy. Some classics which I was brought up with. Moral of the stories: always be kind, always share your food, wealth and home with those in need and maybe a handsome Prince or King will whisk you away and you will live happily ever after!
Silas
Jan 21, 2016 Silas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an abridged collection of Grimm's fairy tales, and some of the stories have been changed around from the originals, but a lot of the strangeness of those stories still remains. In collection, it is easy to see a lot of similarities between the stories, and that is part of the charm of a collection like this. That, combined with versions of familiar stories that are not-so-familiar. I found the stories entertaining to listen to, though when the patterns came up, there was always a "don't ...more
Tarran Talbot
Mar 07, 2015 Tarran Talbot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy

Easy read. Good for someone who wants to be able to come and go from the readings as they please.
Roni
Feb 20, 2011 Roni rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle-edition
The translation from German to English is not that great. I tried to read 3 tales and had to ask my dear German friend what the heck the words or sentences meant. She noticed that few sentences were omitted and some words were not translated into English (ie: Miau! Miau! It is German's version for cat's call = Meow! Meow!). I gave up and tossed out this book. This book came from Amazon.com for Kindle edition, but it was free, therefore the quality was not great.
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
It was really great to see the original versions of the well known Disney princess stories. There were stories that I enjoyed more than the others, but overall it was fascinating to read stories like the ones in here. Some stories were just plain weird, and others had endings that I didn't understand, but there were really amusing ones too. Three seems to be a magic number, and there are some recurring themes.
James Kemp
Interesting to see the originals that Disney worked their magic on. There's a similarity across some of the stories where you can see that perhaps they are mutated versions of the same original that have morphed as they were told.

Also there are a number of fairy stories that I hadn't heard before, them not having quite entered popular consciousness where I grew up. Possibly some of these would be the kernel of some good stories, Grimm's style is very much tell and no show. That suits the sort o
Carina
Dec 07, 2014 Carina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always liked fairy stories, have done since I was a young child. I have to admit though that I think the only tale that I had read before was Snow White (the more well-known story not the one with Rose Red), the Sleeping Beauty tale, Tom Thumb etcetera I knew of but had not read (in fact I have read more Celtic fairy tales than I have the more well known ones - you have to love Thin, Brown and Trembling (at least I think that is what it is called) which is the Celtic Cinderella story).

I h
Richard
Apr 04, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook_2015
Some great stories that form the basis for a number of modern fairy tales. Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, Tom Thumb - they are all here - but not as you would know them.

I loved the no nonsense approach - the princes tried to rescue the princess, but died. Short, and direct - love it.

Some common elements:
Step mother and witches are basically the same - evil.
Step mothers have an uncommon need to kill their step children (mainly because their own children are ugly and lazy).
Princesses are a commodity
angil manasco
Jul 15, 2015 angil manasco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for all ages

I love reading these lovely classics and children enjoy them too . But perhaps one should leave out certain details when reading to children like Cinderella s step sisters bloody foot . Children grasp more than you realize . Be cautious the tales you tell children . I love fairytales so I know what I am reading and what parts to edit out . Children love the old stuff for some reason. I've even read original mother goose rhymes before . I don't know why children like it bu
Jun 21, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, read-2015
Cool stories.

I loved some more than I loved others, which is why this is 4 stars. Some stories were worth 5 stars while others were worth 2 stars.
Filip
Aug 29, 2015 Filip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE GRIMM SURVIVAL GUIDE

1. If you see an old woman, run. That's a 100% certified evil witch.

2. If you see a small old man or a dwarf, help them as much as you can. If you don't, you'll die. If you do, you'll at the very least get a castle or two. Or a king's daughter, because that's the hottest currency in this world.

3. King parenting skills 1: he has the most beautiful daughter in the world, and the twist is that you have to do some impossible task to get her hand. Let's not kid ourselves, you'
Norm Davis
May 20, 2014 Norm Davis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: It's a classic! Everyone, of course.
Recommended to Norm by: 104
Shelves: classic, fantasy
Most folks will recognize these stories by their title, but I would alert you that this is Grimm Brother's raw. As I try to remember each one I blank out but these mostly end pleasantly often with a little twist. Cinderella, for example, has the same fundamental plot but there's no fairy god mother or glass slipper but it ends as one familiar with the story would expect. Rumpelstiltskin followed what I could remember of that story but this Grimm's story conclusion caused me to think of Mr. Gold, ...more
Rachel Simson
Mar 01, 2014 Rachel Simson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, trr-reviews
Thereadingrose.blogspot.com

Title: Grimm's Fairy Stories
Author: Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm
Publisher: First Published in 1812 So This is Unknown.
Genres: Classic, Fantasy, Children.
Where Acquired: Amazon Kindle Store
Buy at Amazon Here
- Best Book Price: 8.48 Kindle Price: 0.00 (as of when posted)

Cover:

Goodreads Description:
For almost two centuries, the stories of magic and myth gathered by the Brothers Grimm have been part of the way children—and adults—learn a
Amy "the book-bat"
There are 28 stories in this collection. Many were familiar stories and some were unknown to me. I was surprised quite a bit by Hansel and Gretel because it was vastly different from the story I grew up hearing. There was no trail of breadcrumbs, no cottage made of sweets, and no witch being shoved into the oven at the end. Instead we get a story about Hansel turning into a fawn and outwitting a king and his huntsmen. Not at all what I was expecting. Ashputtel (Cinderella) had many similarities ...more
Rebecca
Nov 18, 2013 Rebecca rated it liked it
It was reasonably formatted and there were only a few mistakes. A lovely number of lines could be drawn from this text and there's a few nice stories - though some seem a little repetitive. In essence, men are born to be princes and kings and loyal servants who gain rewards.

A woman must be meek and quiet and beautiful while young, but if she grows old and becomes a step-mother or loses her looks, she is bad and cruel and to be punished and cast out.

How different would society have to have been
kit
Jan 29, 2013 kit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel, Snow White, Hansel and Gretel: these stories, plus numerous less well-known ones, make up this compendium of fairytales, collated originally by the German brothers Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm. Like numerous new Kindle owners, I downloaded this for free to try out my ereader and to revisit a lingering fascination with these old fairytales, stripped of their Disney gloss and trendy YA makeovers.

The stories themselves are a bit hit and miss - short, with little ex
Kyla C.
Oct 15, 2012 Kyla C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents and their children
After the death of her mother Cinderella is forced to slave over her new stepmother and sisters. Above it all Cinderella’s compassion for those around her stays intact, remembering her mother’s last words, “always be a good girl…” With the kings three day feast approaching Cinderella begs her stepmother for permission to join her sisters. Once completing her stepmothers conditions Cinderella is deceived and is forced to stay home. Receiving the help from her friend the little bird, Cinderella ma ...more
Elizabeth
Grimm Cinderella
Tags; Cinderella, electronic format, Project Gutenberg

Summary
Grimms’ version of Cinderella is so different from what I am used to. It seemed darker and a little scary at times. Also, in this version the father never dies, which I thought was a happy thing; but the father never stuck up for his daughter. Also, there is no fairy godmother, but birds that help Cinderella get to the ball. The ball last for three days in this version and not just one night. Each night she leaves him t
Cass -  Words on Paper
Finally done with this thing. Some of the stories I really quite enjoyed, but I felt there were a lot of stinkers too. One day I hope to buy the Vintage Classics edition and mark my favourites. This edition only had a small fraction of stories that was written by the Brothers Grimm, so I look forward to reading the rest someday!

Seriously though...so much stupidity. And "evil" people with evil schemes, yet share their plans without question (which immediately results in their downfall)--just stup
Dan
Jun 17, 2012 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Fairy tales with the horrible bits left in! To be honest they weren't exactly as gruesome as I expected, but then again I have high expectations in the gruesome terms. The mixture of fairy tales range from the bizarre to the hilarious.

Some classic stories are a little different in the Grimm version. Hansel and Grethel use breadcrumbs to return home after their parents try to lose them in the woods and Cinderella's step-sister cuts her big toe off to fit the shoe.

Some names and scenarios appear
Lauren Lerche
Nov 01, 2015 Lauren Lerche rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best story book so far in my opinion

This has been one of the best story books I've read so far. They picked the best of the Grimm brother's books in the edit of them all. I will most certainly read these to my children when they are 10+. I just don't recommend this book for anyone under the age of 10 some parts can get a little gruesome, but overall this book was amazing to read!
Alexis
Jul 19, 2015 Alexis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very nice book

I chose this RATING of five stars because I loved this book. It was very Wonderful I liked how the Grimm brothers told the stories and described them. My favorite was one eyes two eyes and three eyes. It was just wonderful. I highly recommend this book for children and young adults who like fantasy. Thank you for writing this book for people like me.
Melissa
In Grimm's, some stories don't have solutions to every conflict presented. Although the stories do well showing retribution for cruelty or injustice, I am most often left to wonder and make my own assumptions on the fate of some characters.

I understand that this is far from being a novel, and each story is exactly what it is- a tall tale written for entertainment and mostly told at bedtime. But this seed of imagination have countless times been picked up by unsatisfied authors, retold in so man
Ally Atherton

This is a book I freeloaded onto my kindle at some point in the last few weeks and it includes 25 of the original Grimm's fairy tales but sadly my version didn't include any illustrations. It was interesting to read a few of the classic tales stripped back to their original format and to note how they were subsequently altered for the purposes of Walt Disney productions and ladybird books! I was brought up on the ladybirds and was shocked to see how different some of the stories actually are. Bu
  • Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know
  • Present at a Hanging and Other Ghost Stories
  • The Heroes, or, Greek Fairy Tales for My Children
  • Japanese Fairy Tales
  • Bambi
Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm, German philologist, jurist and mythologist, was born at Hanau, in Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel). He is best known as the discoverer of Grimm's Law, the author of the monumental German Dictionary, his Deutsche Mythologie and more popularly, with his brother Wilhelm, as one of the Brothers Grimm, as the editor of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

(From Wikipedia.)

More about Jacob Grimm...

“Hither, thither, through the sky, turtle-doves and linnets, fly! Blackbird, thrush, and chaffinch gay, hither, thither, haste away! One and all, come, help me quick! haste ye, haste ye--pick, pick, pick!” 0 likes