Start by marking “Forever Ours: Real Stories of Immortality and Living from a Forensic Pathologist” as Want to Read:

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  297 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Forensic pathologist Janis Amatuzio first began recording the stories told to her by patients, police officers, and other doctors because she felt that no one spoke for the dead. She believed the real experience of death - namely, the spiritual and otherworldly experiences of those near death and their loved ones - was ignored by the medical professionals, who thought of d ...more
Published August 19th 2004 by New World Library (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Forever Ours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forever Ours

Tami
As soon as we are born, we are all on a path towards death. It's the one great certainty. We don't know for sure if we are going to find love, get a great job, or have children but we know unequivocally that we all will die. With that said, death is generally something that both fascinates us and causes great anxiety. Despite that everyone has an opinion, no one knows for sure what happens after this life is over. Death is probably the world's greatest mystery.

Forever Ours looks at death from a
Laren
This book gives you exactly what the title promises. The author is a doctor who began to collect certain stories from people she came across in her work - stories from people who recently lost loved ones being comforted seemingly from beyond, or people who had their own encounters with death. While the stories are interesting, none are particularly memorable or uplifting. In fact, it has only been a few days since I read this book, and I already can't recall a single story's detail.

I really want
Nancy Brady
A very uplifting, totally compelling, and comforting read about different people's life beyond death stories as told (or experienced by) to forensic pathologist, Janis Amatuzio, MD. Glad I had the opportunity to read it and feel that others would be helped by doing so, too. Definitely a must read!
Tiffany
Everyone should read this book as part of operating instructions for life. Please note if you tend to cry get out the tissues but it is completely WORTH IT.
Jessica Nelson
An interesting read.
Kristin
I read Dr. Amatuzio's books out of order, as this was her first book, but having read the second, I had a better idea about the content of this one. Unlike most books I've read that were written by coroners or medical examiners, her books are more about the lives of the people whose deaths she investigated rather than the deaths themselves and trying to get to the bottom of why they died. That said, she focuses a lot on the signs the deceased give to let their friends and loved ones know that li ...more
Kathleen Hagen
Forever Ours: Real Stories of Immortality and Living from a Forensic Pathologist, by Dr. Janis Amatuzio, narrated by the author, Produced by New World Books, downloaded from audible.com.

Dr. Amatuzio is a forensic pathologist. Even while doing her internship and then residency, as well as through her ongoing practice, she has heard stories of persons near death experiencing reunions with loved ones already crossed over to the other side. She clearly believes there is something there, something be
Non Wersal
I chose this book because I work at the same hospital that gave Amatuzio her start and because I'm interested in Forensic Pathology. I have heard similar stories from my patients over the past 9.5 years at UMMC and none of them have offered proof of an afterlife. Amatuzio's experiences were no different than mine, but for her they had so much spiritual meaning. I believe these things happen because the brain works in mysterious ways. I'm not a total athiest but I have yet to experience anything ...more
Brianna
Overall, decent read. I started this book some time ago (read about the first half) and was finally able to finish it today. It would be a challenge to read many books in this fashion, but I was able to pick up right where I left off without feeling too lost.

The the author shares numerous real-life accounts people have had with their own near-death experiences or the death of loved ones. It offers some inspiring and spiritual messages throughout, but by the end of the book, I found the stories t
Carol E.
This is a collection of stories told to a forensic pathologist. Over the years she wrote them down and, years later, created this book.

The stories are all of the "I was in the air above my body, watching you work on me, and I saw the most glorious light" type story. These are interesting and cause me to ponder life and death, however this book, while good, was "too much of a muchness" as my brother used to say.

I would have liked a little more meat to her own story.. what medical school provides
LA Carlson
Apr 23, 2011 LA Carlson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: memoir
I read this book after reading an article in the paper about this forensic pathologist and while I don't go to see many authors I did go to see Dr. Janis Amatuzio and she did not disappoint. My father had died earlier in the year which prompted my thoughts about death. Working as a pathologist, Dr. Amatuzio was often approached by family members who had lost a loved one and then began sharing with her their unusual moments when their loved one would visit them or someone they knew. These are the ...more
Catten
I picked this book up because it's written by a local medical examiner. (I'm in the Twin Cities.)

I was expecting another kind of book. Silly me... the subtitle says it's about immortality, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that it was full of stories about going toward the light or seeing one's dead relatives gathered around.

I passed it along to a friend of mine who works in hospice. She said she really liked the idea and it gives her hope for her clients.

Shrug.

Janet
This is one of those books you can read in one day. I was having a bad day and this book cheered me up. The topic seems gruesome, but it's actually the exact opposite. If you believe in life after death I recommend this book. If you are struggling with what happens after we die read this book. If you are a strong skeptic, skip this book. It probably won't change your mind.
susanlsimon Simon
Sep 08, 2007 susanlsimon Simon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Written by a forensic pathologist, this book had reassuring credibility for me. The author tells of many stories told to her by families of loved ones who have died and the unexplainable experiences that occured either right before or after the loved one died. I liked this book so much that I read it in one day ad then purchased her other book and read it the next day.
Hayley
Interesting, thought provoking, insightful. I wish I'd read it years ago.
Kathy Cox
This is a wonderful uplifting book about the author's experiences with people who have lost loved ones and people who are close to death. It gave me a new sense that my husband's spirit and love still surround me. I'm going to buy copies to give to friends in similar situations. (Thank youthankyouthankyou Maureen!)
Denise
"Real stories of immortality and living from a forensic pathologist". She's often called the "compassionate coroner". Her name is Janis Amatuzio M.D. In this book she offers stories of hope and love...and the transitions from life to death and beyond. See her website at: www.compassionatecoroner.com
Apr 16, 2008 Laura rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those battling loss of a loved one.
I liked this book, but some of the stories were better than others. It is probably difficult to convey the emotional aspect of these experiences through words on the page.

However, this book would be very comforting and meaningful for someone who had just lost a loved one.
Tonya
I can't believe I read this book - it was sort of weird. But the author's a pathologist, just like my favorite person in the world. Plus, she's from Minnesota, so I had to read it! What I didn't expect was to enjoy it - but it was actually an interesting read :-)
Kari
AWESOME!!! I would recommend this book to everyone. Written by a forensic pathologist, the book has several stories of a greater life after death! Definately makes death not so scary. Very enlightening and touching stories. A great read, I read this book in a day!
Brenda
Very interesting read and hearing about those who were lucky enough to see the light/colours and being able to come back (second chance) or being able to see their loved ones and knowing that they will be okay. Nice to read a book by a local author (Twin Cities area).
Sandra Strange
a good addition to near death experience literature This book, by a forensic pathologist, tells her experiences as an intern, then later as a pathologist, with grieving loved ones who have confided their experiences, comforting and positive, with their deceased.
Angela
A forensic pathologist has collected thousands of life after death experiences and compiled some of them here. There are a variety of reliable sources, experiences, ages, and amounts of time they were considered dead.
Bonnie Ricci
This book made me feel so connected to my deceased father. I love the science, the unknown, the faith and just being able to hold onto the memories. This book is a must read. Even if you don't believe.
Katie Boden
Even though someone has died and their body is gone, their spirit is still with you. Real stories of a woman who is a forensic pathologist and the experiences she has had within her career.
Bernadette
I loved this book, great stories that make you think about what life is all about!! There really are messages and angels that visit before they say their goodbyes. Well written from a Dr.
Carol
May 21, 2008 Carol rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those dealing with the loss of a loved one
Comforting....I am reminded of a time when family doctors had true compassion for their patients--when doctors treated their fellow neighbors in their community rather than the "next" case.
Jennifer Dvorak
A wonderful book by a Minnesota Forensic Pathologist. A compilation of short stories based upon miracles that occur in the hospital & home setting after a loved one has passed.
Erin
I felt comforted by this book, and I suppose that's all that matters, but the writing and the stories were very simple. Almost like something shared over a camp fire.
  • Writers Gone Wild: The Feuds, Frolics, and Follies of Literature's Great Adventurers, Drunkards, Lo vers, Iconoclasts, and Misanthropes
  • Crazy: Notes On and Off the Couch
  • The Diaries of Sofia Tolstoy
  • The Adventures of Sir Givret the Short (Knights' Tales, #2)
  • Dancing with Rose: Finding Life in the Land of Alzheimer's
  • Hotel of the Saints
  • Harriet Tubman: Imagining a Life
  • Cracking Cases: The Science of Solving Crimes
  • The Neddiad: How Neddie Took the Train, Went to Hollywood, and Saved Civilization
  • Underwater to Get Out of the Rain: A Love Affair With the Sea
  • Sophia Tolstoy: A Biography
  • Childhood Under Siege: The Corporate Assault on Children and What We Can Do to Stop It
  • Life's Little Annoyances: True Tales of People Who Just Can't Take It Anymore
  • The Lesser Evil: The Diaries of Victor Klemperer 1945-1959
  • Visits from the Afterlife: The Truth About Hauntings, Spirits, and Reunions with Lost Loved Ones
  • The Civil War Generals: Comrades, Peers, Rivals—In Their Own Words
  • Two Queens in One Isle
  • Brain Surgeon: A Doctor's Inspiring Encounters with Mortality and Miracles
Beyond Knowing: Mysteries and Messages of Death and Life from a Forensic Pathologist