Start by marking “Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 4-7)” as Want to Read:
Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 4-7)

Hands Are Not for Hitting (Best Behavior)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Using lively, colorful illustrations and clear language, the author lets kids know that hitting is never okay. Your K through 1 students will learn many other ways to express negative feelings besides hitting. Hands can be used for many positive things also, and children learn they have the power to choose.
Published February 1st 2001 by Free Spirit Publishing (first published May 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Hands Are Not for Hitting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hands Are Not for Hitting

K
I like that it focuses on different things the kid can do other than hit, different feelings that might make a kid want to hit, and what to do if someone hits you. However, I do think that all the other things hands are for doing is a bit distracting.
Olugbemisola Ogutuga
Hands are not for hitting is a story about activities that children and teachers can do instead of hitting.It teaches children how to correctly use their hands instead of hitting. This book is very good for teaching toddlers.
Alice
This is a simple book for kids, on their level about using their hands for good things and not for hitting. It gives idea and tips on how to deal with angry and what to do instead of hitting!
Comfort Olajide
I read this book it is about "Hands Are Not for Hitting" and it is a story about another ways that children and adults can do with their hands instead of hitting. It teaches correct use of hands in an encouraging way through the use of simple language and descriptive illustrations that makes learning fun. The story helps children understand why they may feel like hitting and offers many ways one can deal with feelings by replacing the use of hitting with another skills. The book is very easy to ...more
Alyssa
I think this would be a very good book to share with younger kids preschool through second grade. Reading I kept thinking of my little brother in preschool, I always hear stories of "He was hitting her," and "My teacher gets mad when he hits." Hitting really can be a problem with those young kids. And this also gives kids options of other ways to cope with their frustration. It would be a good reference when problems start arising in the classroom.
Kayla Bennett
I was not expecting to like this book, but I loved it. Not only does it teach that hands are not to hurt or hit anyone, it gives us other things to do with them. I love how the illustrations depicted the story too. This would definitely be a book I would buy for my future children or my classroom. I really enjoyed that it did not come out and call children out but pointed out the feelings of it. I feel like the author scored with this book.
Holleah
I think this is a great book for teaching children to be kind to each other. No one wants to sit there and listen to a lecture about how something is wrong and why you shouldn't do it. Children will actually pay attention with this book and it will be easier to teach them not to hit and how others feel if you aren't kind. You can even plan a nice activity with this book as well.
Libby
Mar 05, 2013 Libby is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Promoting healthy social development by discussing appropriate and healthy behavior not only helps a child of 4-5 years old understand about behavior control, but also serves as a way of promoting expressive language and the child’s vocabulary and narrative skills. Suitable for 4-5 year olds, Hands Are Not for Hitting is a book that invites the child to utilize the practice of Talking as the story is read by a caregiver. Many Literacy Skills can be developed in a shared reading in this book all ...more
Emerson
Pretty good.
This book utilizes repetition to teach an important lesson. Hands are for waving hands for playing with blocks hands are for this hands are for that. Hands are not for hitting. Hitting is never okay. Hands are not for hitting. Hands never okay.
Liz Carrillo
fantastic!
this book is great to have in a class room. kids usually dont know how to act when they get mad and some tend to "hit" alot so i would love to share this with a class.
Kellee Foster
Hands are not for hitting is a great picture book for n-p readers. The book teaches children what their hands can be used for, besides hitting. The illustrations in the book use bright colors and has picture the all children can recognize. I especially like this book for the younger children, so that they can see other ways to use their hands besides "hitting friends". It is hard for little ones to keep their hands to themselves and I find that this book is a good re-enforcement tool in the clas ...more
Bailey Jane
I didn't like this one as much as "Teeth Are Not For Biting." I enjoyed the repetition that the other book used, whereas this one only says "hands are not for hitting" three times. I liked that the other book used the word "Ouch!" multiple times, reinforcing that doing this behavior to another person HURTS! I do appreciate that this book gave many POSITIVE alternatives to hitting, and things to do with your hands if you feel the need to act out. Once again, I was so happy to see parent and careg ...more
Eric Summers
On it's own, this is just another book trying to teach children about the necessity of non-violence. What sets it above the rest of the "after school special" books that many publishers try to shovel out every year is the back of the book that serves as a teaching guide for adults using this book in their home or classroom.

This is a teaching book, not a story book or something that kids will cherish for the rest of their life. It is to be used to teach a theme (non-violence) and it gives you ple
Paige
This is a very short book that I think would be really good read to children in Kindergarten or younger. It is great because it makes it so the children are able to interact with the reader throughout the book, like waving their hands, so it makes reading it more fun. Also, throughout the whole book, there are children from every race and background which is important as well. Lastly, there is a good lesson teaching children that they should not hit each other and it shows them what hands are re ...more
Christie
Our family found this book extremely helpful when our toddler was having issues with hitting. It repeats the key phrase “Hands are not for hitting” many times throughout the book. Repetition is so important for young children. It also gives examples of what hands should be used for like eating, dressing, and waving hello. This book is great tool to help curb aggressive behavior that tends to pop up during the toddler and preschool years.
Rebecca Ashley Teague
This book explains that hitting is never okay. It talks about how hands can do many good things such as waving, hugging, and drawing, but it is never okay to use your hands to hit. I would use this book in my classroom if a student broke the rule of ‘keep your hands to yourself’. I would use this book to reinforce that rule and to also show students that the behavior is not okay under any circumstance.
Milo
Nov 13, 2011 Milo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Milo by: Borrowed from the library
I like to see all the things that a person can do with their hands. Papa and I read this book together and talk about what the kids are doing with their hands. However, it has not kept me from using my hands to hit. I went to timeout today for hitting our little dog Rufus. But, I do like to keep busy. It is fun to see how other people like to keep busy with their hands.
Cecoiya Johnson
This is a great picture book to introduce guidelines in the classroom. This book.can be a fun process to help students with being physical throughout the school.year. The pictures will allow a Kindergartener to follow along and be eager to follow rules. Keeping this book in the.classroom library would be a great idea, which allow students to revisit the concept.
Leila T.
Read every night before bed, at least once, this is one of my 2-year-old's favourite books. She mimics the activities of the illustrations, improvising her own, and points out items of interest on each page. The illustrations are clear and simple and bright, and the didactic message of the book is offset by a sense of fun.
Natalie
Jul 16, 2008 Natalie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents and educators of Pre-K, K, 1st grade
Recommended to Natalie by: found it in a search
Simple picture book that discusses the good things we can do with our hands and how diverse we are. It declares the message that hands are not for hitting several times. A good read aloud, to start a discussion on better ways to solve problems than hitting.
April
A fast moving sweet book that focuses on all the good things we can use our hands for to refocus a child on those. Kaden and I enjoyed it. It wasn't at all preachy but it gave kids ideas of other things to do to channel their frustrations.
Belise Michel
This is good book to read to pre-k students the first day of class when you are creating classroom rules and explaining them. It’s also a great book to read through out the year to remind students’ positive ways to use their hands.
Camille
I didn't think I'd care for this book, because of the art work, but my five and three year old boys love it. My five year old is memorizing it and often telling others when they act aggressively, "Hands are not for hitting."
Sybil
I absolutely love reading this book to my daughters. It isn't too "babyish" like some of the other books on this subject and gives the reader many opportunities to discuss the words and pictures in the book.
Randie
Concept book for toddlers. The author goes beyond saying hands are not for hitting and teaches what hands are for, providing examples and illustrations to model appropriate usages.
Nicole
This whole series of books is excellent for teaching toddlers what feet, hands, and teeth are for. Our library has all the books and they're some of our favorites!
Molly
Obviously a classic, but, I think its too wordy. My almost four year old needed to hear the message, but I felt I was losing his attention while reading...
Sassy School Counselor
A basic picture book to use with young students and those with autism about how to appropriately use their hands. Read about my lesson here:
Anica
May 01, 2008 Anica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all children
Shelves: children-s-books
This book helps children think of ways to use their hands in good ways and offers suggestions of ways to handle anger.
Chelsea Kimmey
This book would be good for helping understand the importance of keeping your hands to yourself.
  • Teeth Are Not for Biting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior)
  • When I Feel Angry (Way I Feel)
  • How to Lose All Your Friends
  • Have You Filled a Bucket Today?: A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids
  • The Way I Feel
  • A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue: Helping Kids Learn the Difference Between Tattling and Telling
  • Sometimes I'm Bombaloo
  • When Sophie Gets Angry -- Really, Really Angry
  • Bear Says Thanks
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
  • The Bat Boy and His Violin

Best Behavior (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Feet Are Not for Kicking (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior Series)
  • Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7) (Best Behavior)
  • Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior)
  • Teeth Are Not for Biting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior)
  • Tails Are Not for Pulling (Ages 0-3)
  • Germs Are Not for Sharing (Ages 0-3)
  • Germs Are Not for Sharing (Ages 4-7)
  • Noses Are Not for Picking (Ages 0-3)
  • Tails Are Not for Pulling (Ages 4-7)
  • Pacifiers Are Not Forever (Ages 0-3)
Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior Words Are Not for Hurting / Las Palabras No Son Para Lastimar The Best Behavior Set