Start by marking “Sticks and Stones (A Cat DeLuca Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Sticks and Stones (A Cat DeLuca Mystery #2)

Sticks and Stones (Cat DeLuca Mysteries #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  67 reviews

What does a woman do when she discovers her husband is an incurable cheater?If she’s Cat DeLuca she launches the Pants On Fire Detective Agency. Now Cat does what two years of unholy matrimony taught her. She catches cheaters.When a client (Cleo Jones) shoots her cheating husband’s bum full of buckshot, he disappears, taking her money, dog, and sister with him. Private Inv
Published February 7th 2012 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sticks and Stones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sticks and Stones

Eunira
This is light cozy, which reminds me of the Evanovich series - Italian family, canoli, dogs, hunky men, and a spunky heroine. Cat deLuca is the owner of Pants on Fire, a detective agency focused on catching cheating husband (she starts the business catching her own husband!!!).

When a client (Cat´s assistant Cleo Jones) shoots her cheating husband’s backside with buckshot, he disappears, taking her money, dog, and sister with him. Cat agrees to find Walter and in return makes Cleo promise not to
Linda Boyd
This is the 2nd book in the Cat DeLuca series and I really enjoyed this one, it was laugh out loud funny. I'm looking forward to continuing with this series.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
The similarities between K.J Larson's Cat DeLuca Mysteries and Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series are impossible to deny. Though Cat may be a PI instead of a bounty hunter, she has her very own Ranger (Max) and Morelli (Chance), a colleague who wears inordinate amounts of lycra (though Cleo cooks instead of eats), a family of gun toting crazies and a mother who laments her daughter's choice in career and marital status. Cat even has a tendency to destroy cars and her targets are often nude. ...more
Robert Carraher
Like Stephanie Plum on steroids. Catarina “Cat” DeLuca is on a wild and funny ride from the opening sentence. After a short lived marriage to a serial cheater Cat establishes Pants On Fire Detective Agency where she specializes in getting the goods on wayward spouses. Or, as her momma puts it, she’s a “hoochie stalker”. And she is good at it. She scales balconies, and teeters out side hotel windows to capture the Kodak Moment.

In Sticks and Stones, the follow up to Liar, Liar: A Cat DeLuca Myste
Kathy
This is the second book in the Cat DeLuca Mystery series by K.J.Larsen. It is not necessary to have read the first to enjoy this one. The book is rather a zany ride that has been compared to Janet Evanovich's series however in many ways this book is better. The Stefanie Plum series has become nothing less than reworked babble whereas Cat DeLuca is fresh and interesting.

Cat DeLuca has a huge Italian family filled with police officers which comes in very handy. She has two very fascinating and hel
Colleen Fauchelle
"I'm a private investigator, dammit"
"No, you investigate people's privates. Big difference"

This quote from the book sums up what Cat Decluca's family thinks of her job. She is from a family of cops and although they are supportive they do give her a rough time. Cat does take photos of people cheating on their partners, her business is named 'Pants on Fire'.

At the end of the first book Cat takes on a helper, her name is Cleo and when her ex husband Walter turns up dead they blame Cleo, of course
Vicki Gooding
Cat DeLuca (Delucky from one male friend. Cat is a female P.I. surrounded by an Italian family who questions, doubts and tries to interfere for her good, all the time, but with her brothers all being cops they are also her fiercest protectors when her life is truly in danger, which seems to follow her. Her specialty is helping women with unfaithful husbands. Her employee, ludicrously made partner now needs to find out which of the many possibilities killed her partners es-husband. Once agin it i ...more
Debbie Heaton
In Larsen’s mystery novel, P.I. Cat DeLuca and her new partner, Cleo, try sneaking Cleo’s beloved dog back from her ex, only to find Walter dead. What makes this worse, Cleo was caught on tape threatening him. Taking the case, Cleo soon discovers that Walter’s multiple blackmail victims all have motives and opportunities to do the deed. To solve the case, Cat must bring all four of the victims together and pit them against each other to find the truth.

Another great addition to the A Cat DeLuca M
Kat
Lauren Murphy
Cat DeLuca is a private detective who runs the Pants on Fire Detective Agency. Her mission: to catch cheating husbands. Sticks and Stones is the second book in this series, following on from Liar Liar- which I have not read but did not really seem to make a difference to the reading experience- in the typical style of Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum humour/ crime series.

Cat’s job requires her to ‘stalk’ men and take happy snaps of them in compromising positions and then to break the news to their al
Susan
I enjoyed the first one of this series, so was happy to try the second. I think this one might be even better than the first. The authors are doing a great job of developing their protagonist, Cat DeLuca.

This story provided a solid mystery with multiple characters who could realistically have 'dunnit'. It also provided a bit of fun, a dash of romance, and another of interesting family dynamics.

Overall a good, enjoyable read. I will l definitely ook up the third book of the series.
Beverly
What does a woman do when she discovers her husband is an incurable cheater? If she’s Cat DeLuca, she launches the Pants On Fire Detective Agency. Now Cat does what two years of unholy matrimony taught her. She catches cheaters. The story that follows has lots of twists and turns, but does not deliver the punch it could.
Rhonda
I had a great time reading about cat. Love her detective business name. Pants on Fire . Its a detective story,comedy and romance and family. It reminds me a little of stephanie plum stories.
Cat has a business out of Catch Liars and cheats. Her family is full of police and not all honest. Her boyfriend is FBI agent. Her family does not like FBI. She has friends who were spies and one helps protect her. Her assistant is crazy gun toting who is up for murdering her husband. Noone but Cat believes h
PopcornReads
When I saw the publisher’s description of Sticks & Stones, it sounded reminiscent of Janet Evanovich’s and Lisa Lutz’s novels. Sticks & Stones is the second book in the Cat DeLuca mystery series by K.J. Larsen. It works fine as a stand-alone novel, so no worries on not having read the first book.

To give you an idea of the writing quality, Book #1 in the series, Liar, Liar, was named one of 2010’s best mysteries by Library Journal. K.J. Larsen is actually the pseudonym for three sisters
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Cat DeLuca, Proprietor of the Pants On Fire Detective Agency is hot on the trail of the latest wife cheater, when her assistant/client, Cleo Jones shoots her husband with buckshot in the rump. Cat races to return the husband's dog and money but instead finds his dead body!

In this second book of the 'A Cat DeLuca Mystery' series, the pace is quick and the action flows while Cat pulls out all stops to save Cleo from being arrested for murder. Secrets abound, Childhood friends, gambling, Chicago de
Karen
Second in the series.Cat DeLuca, owner/operator of the detective agency finds herself and her assistant Cleo embroiled in the murder of Cleo's scum bag husband.
The road to acquittal leads to a 20 year old unsolved murder.
Mary Newcomb
Cat DeLuca is a plucky Chicago PI with a specialty in straying spouses. In this adventure, she gets tangled up in a murder. She and her various family and friend helpers manage to get it all sorted out in entertaining fashion.
Turtles
3.5 - But I bumped it down to a 3 since the good/bad was frustrating. The beginning was slow, and I thought Cleo was a bit too based on Lula from Stephanie Plum books. There are similarities in the books, with the big crazy family (more similar to Sophie Metropolis) and hunky men running around. But this is a cool element which works in these funny mysteries. I thought the mystery in this was kind of weak and it was frustrating to see it wrapped up in the last couple chapters since I saw it way ...more
Carol Crigger
First of all, I think it's interesting that K.J.Larsen is not one person, but three sisters. It's great they work together well enough to write such an entertaining series, of which Sticks & Stones is the second. I'm looking forward already to the next.

While there's a decent mystery at the heart of this book, I read the Cat DeLuca Pants on Fire stories for the zany characters and crazy situations. Cat's family are some of the quirkiest people you'll ever meet, and her two hunky boyfriends ma
Cathy
I thought the second book in the "Cat DeLuca - Pants on Fire Detective Agency" series was good, but not quite as good as the first. I wasn't quite as drawn into the story. I did like seeing many of the characters from the first book return, including Cat's crazy family members, her somewhat shady friends, and particularly her new love FBI Agent Chance Savino. I did notice several instances where the editor missed small words - "to", "the", etc. - I think that was the result of seeing what you ex ...more
Nicole Barker halladay
another great read , if you are into female detectives that have a crazy personal life..lol
Yolanda Renee
Loved this new adventure. I won both books online, but will be buying the next one. Excellent series, about a Private Investigator who chases down liars and cheaters, her company is called Pants on Fire Detective Agency. She seems to attract trouble, in the form of murder and tall, muscular, good looking men! It's a fun romp when escape is what you're looking for. Highly recommended! And yes, I read both books in one weekend. Sometimes I just need to stop writing and read!
Paula Ratcliffe
I can't say enough about Cat DeLuca, she is funny, and smart and quick on the take. She finds herself fighting to free her assistant Cleo who is up on murder charges for offing her sleazy ex-husband. There are too many people who want him dead but only one who did it. Meanwhile Cat is also trying to catch a slippery cheating husband with his pants down. I love this series reminds me so much of Stephanie Plum. I can't wait to see what Cat is up to next!
PWRL
Jan 31, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-new
O
I enjoy these fun reads. Love the big family dynamics.
Angela
I liked the plot on this one. I did feel like some things were left unexplained though, and it's the curious part of me that really didn't understand what the heck happened with the character killing two people 20 years earlier. I understand the girl victim but what started the whole thing was never really explained.

Other than that it was an entertaining read.
Kaye
I so love these series and I can't wait to start reading the next one. This book never was dull or slow moving. There was always a lot of action. I found myself laughing out loud a few times. I'm a fan of the K.J. Larsen sisters.
Andrea
This series is my favorite kind-funny. It reminds me of the Stephanie Plum series but I don't think it is as unbelievable as that one is. I like the characters and the setting-Chicago- and the story. While you won't expand your brain reading this, you won't lose any brain cells either, and you will laugh a lot!
Brie
Sticks and Stones was much better than the first in the series, Liar, Liar , as it seems the trio found a rhythm for writing together and collaborating ideas to the storyline. It felt less rushed and less all over the place and the humor had better timing.

They still talked about food constantly.
  • The Harder They Fall (Love & Laughter #24)
  • Avenging Angel (Mindhunters, #2)
  • First Watch
  • Unscripted
  • Icebound
  • The Last Real Cowboy (includes Cadence Creek Cowboys, #1)
  • Carrie Goes Off the Map
  • Teacher Plus Two (In the Eyes, #2)
  • A Win-Win Proposition
  • The Mighty Quinns: Riley (The Mighty Quinns, #16)
  • Texas Pride (Night Riders, #6)
  • Sacrifice of Passion
  • Auraria
  • The Usual Apocalypse (The Society #2)
  • Lord of Fire and Ice
  • Spy Mom
  • A Midwinter Fantasy (Strangely Beautiful, #2.5) (Sylph, #2.5) (The Magic Knot, #3)
  • Thoroughly Kissed (Fates #2)
Sisters Kari, Julianne, and Kristen write under the pen name, K.J. Larsen.

Writing a novel together was second nature for the three sisters who created their own Nancy Drew mysteries as kids. “We live very different lives,” Kari says. “What brings us together is a voracious love of mystery, a wicked sense of humor, and the thrill of victory.”
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Kari Larsen lives at the
More about K.J. Larsen...
Liar, Liar (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #1) Some Like It Hot (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #3) The Pants on Fire Detective Agency - Box Set 3 Great Female Detectives: Liar, Liar, The Dangerous Edge of Things, Shadows in the Night