Start by marking “Silver Smoke (Seven Halos, #1)” as Want to Read:
Silver Smoke (Seven Halos, #1)

Silver Smoke (Seven Halos #1)

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  142 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
15-year old Brie van Rossum wants to know what caused her mother’s death, but she’s trapped in Honolulu under the watchful eye of her rock star father James, her overprotective older brother Pilot, and the relentless paparazzi who would love to capture her breaking down on film.

A clue about her mother’s death finally comes in the form of four teenage girls--or at least, th
Nook, 307 pages
Published February 8th 2011 by Spaulding House

To ask other readers questions about Silver Smoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Smoke

Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareFallen by Lauren KateCrescendo by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
YA Angels
200th out of 346 books — 1,697 voters

More lists with this book...

Lyndz
Mar 05, 2012 Lyndz rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Angry teenagers
I am giving Silver Smoke 3 stars with one condition: that when I read Tin Solider the story line redeems itself. My gut reaction is to give it 1 or 2 stars. But, I am giving this book the benefit of the doubt and assuming that the plot and dialogue suffered because of the amount of information the author tried to cram in here to lead up to all the amazing things that are going to happen in the rest of the series. I fully intend on going back and changing the rating of this book if the 2nd book d ...more
Anna
Feb 12, 2011 Anna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, read-2011

I'm reducing this book's rating due to the author's unprofessional behavior. Should have done it long ago...

Review originally posted at http://bookstobrightenyourmood.blogsp...

I had my eye set on Silver Smoke for quite some time now and i was really glad to receive a copy from the author for review.Needless to say i immediately started reading the book and i wasn't dissapointed in the least.
Before i start my review i want to say a huge thanks to Monica Leonelle for providing me with an ebook cop
Pamela
Feb 21, 2011 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fifteen-year old Brie van Rossum wants to know what caused her mother’s death, but she’s trapped in Honolulu under the watchful eye of her rock star father, James, her overprotective older brother, Pilot, and the relentless paparazzi who would love to capture her breaking down on film. Plus there’s that complication with her brother’s best friend, Rykken.

And if things couldn’t get any stranger for her, the clue about her mother’s death finally comes in the form of four teenage girls--or at least
Amanda
I am only reading this because I won the 2nd book in the series, Tin Solider, in a good reads giveaway.

When I say "read", I mean I got about 40% through and then couldn't keep going. I understand setting up a story line, and that sometimes, in order to construct the origin of characters, there will be some slow parts. There were plenty of times this book could have sped up the pace, but as soon as it could have gone that direction, it went opposite. This is a teenage girls wet gossip dream. Wher
Cat
Dec 31, 2011 Cat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded this free for my Kindle, and I'm very glad I did! The only reason this doesn't get 5 stars is because I think the reader can be overwhelmed (much like Brie) by the sheer amount of history and information it takes to truly understand what is going on. Too bad we can't all download and use information instantaneously like Clara and the Hallows.

I found the characters to be quite realistic, and if you knew me or read some of my other reviews, I LOVE it when there's a good brother/sister
Vanessa
Apr 24, 2011 Vanessa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbb-review
When I first picked this book to read, I was expecting the ‘Supernatural-esque’ setting and storyline – gloomy and dark with some bloody battle scenes between angels and demons fighting for their power over the earth on God’s and Lucifer’s orders respectively. I did not expect the hot and sexy Island of Hawaii as main setting of this story. The appropriateness is rather questionable, since I, if not most people out there, am used to watching/reading angel/demon story in darker, gothic setting. O ...more
Feb 21, 2011 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh i cant even finish this. Ive got half way and its so jumbled up and annoying i just cant force myself to finish it. The writing is poor, the story confusing and the dialogue terrible. Sorry.
Kelli
May 11, 2011 Kelli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need to preface this review by letting you know that I have some kind of mental block about books about angels and Nephilim. Ever since Hush, Hush, I have had a prejudice about this sub-genre. (See my first and second opinions of Hush, Hush). I think that I unfairly compare all angel books to The Mortal Instruments series, which I absolutely love. I just wanted you all to know that before I talk about Silver Smoke.

Silver Smoke is the first in a new series about different races of humans who a
Librarysteph
Jun 01, 2011 Librarysteph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received Silver Smoke by Monica Leonelle from Sun Daughter Press in ebook format for free.

The mythology in this novel is much more developed than in other angel novels I've read (Hush, Hush & Fallen). I liked the concept of the Hallows and the Trinities. Hopefully in the next installment the Nephilim will be more predominant, because they are the part of the mythological backdrop that was the least fleshed out. The politics of the Hallows was interesting and I imagine that will be expande
Delina
Silver Smoke, the first in the Seven Halos series is a tales spun in intricate webs, intertwining together to form the complex world where the descendants of angles walk among us.

From the first page the reader is immersed in action and intrigue as Brie and her brother Pilot are being chased by the paparazzi, resulting in a car accident and the emergence of a mysterious woman on a motorcycle. The siblings have recently moved from New York to the Hawaii to live with their famous father, James aft
BookHookup
***This book was given to The Book Hookup to but it did not influence the review***

Celeste’s review:
Celeste

The beginning: I enjoyed this book and at many times I loved it. It has the potential to be a great book. The story jumped right into action as Brie and her brother Pilot are trying to get away from the paparazzi but end up crashing their father’s car…. if that wasn’t exciting enough Brie thinks she sees her mother who died 2 months earlier, and it is soon clear that magic was at work somehow. I was intrigued! No
Kristina
Following the death of her mother Brie van Rossum and her brother Pilot are sent to live with their rock star father in Hawaii. There Brie meets the Hallows and discovers that she’s a part of their secret world and the descendent of the archangel Michael. But things aren’t always what they seem, and she struggles to deal with the truth as more and more secrets are revealed.

Silver Smoke was one of those books that I couldn’t put down…literally. (I read the entire thing this afternoon.) The main c
Ns
Dec 22, 2011 Ns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Silver Smoke I found myself immersed in a complex and multi-layered paranormal world with distinct characters. Brie, a fifteen-year old girl discovers that she's a supernatural being and must fight a destiny that threatens who she is and her newfound love.

Brie's life is as much a blessing as it is curse. Her mother's recent death shook her world in more ways than she could imagine. She and her brother Pilot are sent to Honolulu to live with their father. James cares for them but doesn't real
Na Deela
I got this book because I won a copy of the sequel. I thought Tin Soldier was the first of the series, although I'm not sure how I confused the two... Anyway when I realized it, I wanted to read the first book before the second arrived and I wish I'd taken my time. Now I have to wait for the sequel when I'm so full of anxiety! This is a great story I am looking forward to finishing. The only issue I had was that the change in perspective bothered me a bit. By the end of the book I was used to it ...more
Jessica Buike
Jan 04, 2012 Jessica Buike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiverr
Prepare to immerse yourself in a supernatural world with this fun YA read! The mix of mythology and religion is a new twist in the fantasy world, and the character names are different and interesting. I love that the author provides deleted scenes online, to continue to flow of story and dialog between the reader and the characters in the book. There were a couple of minor editing errors, but nothing big enough to detract from the story. The plot was also a bit predictable, but that generally ha ...more
TN
Mar 30, 2012 TN rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this fun book. The characters were interesting - a little angsty but I feel like that's just expected in this type of story, and I had enough sympathy for them that I didn't mind. There were several plot holes/unexplained points that will hopefully be addressed in the sequel, but the story is fast-paced enough and the building of the Hallow world is done well enough that I could easily overlook the parts that were unclear. Overall, the type of book where you don't need to think to ...more
Julia
Mar 05, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book! At first I had a little trouble getting into it because I felt the characters did not have as much depth as I wanted, and the emotions (although of teenagers) were often so unstable it was hard to connect with them. Soon after, the originality of the story and the tension in created within me made it nearly impossible to stop reading! I really love the story and I can't wait to read the next one!
Catalina Sennett
A really good story that I am looking forward to reading more about. I was a bit confused with all the chracters, I seriously thought they were never going to end. There were so many for me to remember everything about! I was a bit dissapointed with Sirenas vision at the end about Rykken because I was rooting for him and someone else obviously. Interesting powers as well.
Krystal
Nov 21, 2011 Krystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults (female)
This book was a page-turner. The Order kept the book fast-paced and intriguing while the idea of a "Hallow" was slightly confusing, however, it is also an interesting idea. The characters, especially the main character, were well developed and were easy to relate too. There was plenty of action and drama in this book and it is well-suited for a young adult.
Carley
Dec 22, 2011 Carley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I really did not know what to expect with this book but was pleasantly surprised from beginning to end. I literally could not put this book down. It was multi layered in the story line and at times challenged me to think which I loved! I am super excited to read the next one and see where this story goes!
Janell
Dec 06, 2011 Janell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book the second it was released, and there are no regrets. This book was amazing, from front to back, it has everything you could want and more.Romance, mystery, sibling relationship drama, gorgeous history. Probably one of the best book I've read in years. And I read A LOT =)
Indie Books For99
This book starts off with a bit of a mystery - who is Brie and how is she like the cheerleaders? She ends up being extraordinary, which ends up being a blessing and a curse. This book keeps the interest, is unpredictable, and it's hard to put it down.
Martha Bryce
Feb 06, 2012 Martha Bryce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I enjoy Young Adult books and this is a particularly good one. Silver Smoke has a complex plot line, great characters and the writing is brisk and crisp. It's wonderful that this is the first book in a series! Woo Hoo!
Susie
Oct 31, 2014 Susie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the twist dealing with Nephilim, Hallows, and Trinities. The forbidden love. Can't wait to read the next book of the series, The Tin Solider.
Inspired Kathy
Author Interview & Book giveaway open internationally ends 4/3/11:
Haylee
Mar 30, 2011 Haylee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book that I have read in a long time. What's not to love? Highly recommended to any avid reader or anyone looking for a good book. Love it!
-Haylee
Samantha
Feb 20, 2012 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-read
ridiculously AMAZING !!!!
Kayleigh
It was pretty good.
Shanella
The story opens with Brie and her brother Pilot being chased by paparazzi. Brie thinks she sees her mother among them, the only thing is, her mother died months ago; thus begins, Silver Smoke.

It started off with a bit of a bang – Brie is almost immediately inducted into a secret group called the Hallows. The Hallows are nephilim (offspring of angels and humans) and they have special powers, the interesting thing though is, Brie seems to have powers while Pilot doesn’t. There is also Rykken, Pilo
  • Kindred
  • Beautiful Beings (Beautiful Beings, #1)
  • Hex: A Witch and Angel Tale
  • The Forest of Adventures (Knight Trilogy, #1)
  • Elemental
  • Mark of the Seer (Seer Society, #1)
  • Starcrossed: Perigee (Starcrossed, #1)
  • Lemniscate (Angel Star, #2)
  • Breath of Angel (The Angelaeon Circle, #1)
  • Ember (Ember, #1)
  • Wiccan (Wiccan, #1)
  • Angel Creek
  • Veiled (Veiled #1)
  • The Wizard of Time (Wizard of Time, #1)
  • The Gifts
  • Flaming Dove
  • Somber Island
  • Taste (The Witches of Santa Anna, #1-6)

Seven Halos (2 books)
  • Tin Soldier (Seven Halos, #2)