The Secrets of Rosa Lee

The Secrets of Rosa Lee

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Everyone assumes Rosa Lee Altman lived a life without passion. But buried secrets are meant to be revealed. And no one is prepared for what they discover beneath Rosa Lee's overgrown roses -- or how her legacy will change their lives with love.

The once-beautiful Altman home sits empty, its gardens overgrown, its windows boarded up -- an old lady, now silent, surrounded by

Published July 19th 2011 by Mira (first published 2005)

Laura Beasley

Good book. First book by Jodi Thomas that I have read but I hope to read many more. Loved the characters, the plot, the romance and the mystery. Kept me interested and trying to figure out how the book would end. liked the way the story started with six people that were different being selected to serve on a committee concerning saving an old house. Then things begin to happen and he people become friends and protectors of each other. Some humor at the right times.
Brenda Hervig
Since I was a little girl, I have dreamed of a big old house with lots of rooms and secret places. This book was as if I had found the house. It is a wonderful read!! I read the whole book in 2 days. It is filled with loyalty,love, sacrifice, and sweet acts of kindness. It left me feeling as if I had been there in the old house.
Linda
This was a 3.5 book. This was one of Jodi Thomas' early books and I enjoyed how she took six people who had nothing in common and who did not know each other very well and put them in a situation where they had to rely on each other. They became friends when no one else would have accepted them the way they were but they had each other. You don't really know people until you have to be with them, work with them and trust them. Six people who were on a committee to decide the fate of an old run d...more
 Gigi Ann
I'm not sure if it was me or the book, but I struggled to get this book read. I even laid it aside and read another book. But today I was determined to get it read. I found it took half of the book before it became interesting and kept my attention. I enjoyed the last half much better then the first half. I don't know what the problem for me was. It seemed that each chapter covered a different character in the book. So when it started to get interesting, BANG!! A new chapter talking about anothe...more
Mary Beth
The Secrets of Rosa Lee by Jodi Thomas is a story set in a small Texas town. Sidney Dickerson, a college professor, is asked to serve as chair on a board to decide the fate of the old Rosa Lee mansion. The place, in falling-down condition, has been left to the city. It does have historical value, but several oil companies are interested in drilling on the cite and the revenue would mean a lot to the city. The story reveals some long hidden secrets about Rosa Lee and chronicles the lives of the u...more
Twyla
You won't be awed by the secret. It is a quiet secret, unimportant. There is no treasure to be found, no amassed riches. The couples pair off early to their mates in quiet subtle but understood ways. Everyone has a match, no one goes unhappily.
That said, I don't think the "secret" warranted the story. The secret is a secondary thing. But also so sad that someone gave up the future to protect the past; someone already invisible and nonexistent. What kind of sad is that, the word escapes me at the...more
Dale Harcombe
I really enjoyed this story. It had a lot of ingredients. A mystery concerning the old mansion known after its owner Rosa Lee. People who want the house torn down and and will do anything to make it happen, including threatening the committee left to decide the house's fate. A bit of romance and some humour throw in and all done without lots of language and sex scenes, which I appreciated. A good read, even if you do guess some of the secrets as I did.
Virginia
This is the second Jodi Thomas book I have read, and the second I have really liked. Her characterization is amazing. You really fall for them hard and fast and they often do the unexpected. I love when an author weaves more than one story into a book. The amazing thing about Ms. Thomas's books is that no character seems to be the "main". They all interweave together into a nice little tune.
Donna Beard
It was a good book with an odd ending...
Patricia Solla
A young woman comes 'home' to a house that belonged to a woman known to her grandmother. The cast of characters is set as they meet to decide what to do about the house - to fix it or demolish it. The story moves along nicely with clues unfolding as to what the secret the house holds.
Marjorie
Did not realize until almost the end that this was a sequel to The Widows of Wichita County which I loved. This was just as good in telling how people from different backgrounds can come together and form a unit. I would strongly recommend this book to others.
Heidi
Didn't think I would enjoy this book but I actually did, even if it didn't end well relationship's' wise. I didn't understand why the author didn't ever say who was behind the attacks, I guess we had to use our imaginations. Good quick read
Pauline
First book I have read by this author and I was pleasantly surprised.I really enjoyed it.Mystery and romance rolled into one book.Kept me guessing almost to the end.Will be looking for more of her books.
Kelly
This was a totally new storyline (even tho it's one of her older books) that was really a wonderful read! I have never read a book like this one. I loved it! Highly recommended!
Isah  Ragondo
Not really bad, infact I find this book really interesting. The beginning was quite boring but as you go read further it made me glue my eyes on the book.
Brittany
Reading right now and it is like nothing else I normally read. It is lovely! I am thinking about adding this to my top ten
Erin
Nice characters, but a bit of a slow read with little payoff. I really enjoyed her harmony series though.
Kathy Verdino
Disappointing ending - cute story - felt like she rushed the ending to meet a publishing deadline.
Christine
It was "OK", alternated between being very predictable and oh so corny.
Marlene
An easy enjoyable read.
Peggy
Peggy is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2014
Nancy Miller
Nancy Miller marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Laurie Martin
Laurie Martin marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
20273
I'm a New York Times and USA Today Best Selling author, wife, mother, in-law, grandmother, sister, friend, and owner of one fat cat.
More about Jodi Thomas...
The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery, #1) When a Texan Gambles (Wife Lottery, #2) Welcome to Harmony (Harmony #1) A Texan's Luck (Wife Lottery, #3) Tall, Dark, and Texan (Whispering Mountain, #3)

“The dreamer whispered, Just once let something happen.” 2 likes
“How do you know what a rock star feels like, Ada May? Have you ever been a rock star? I don't think so,' Beth Ann said.
'I was just guessing.'
'Well, not me. I'm not saying I feel like something when I don't have any idea what that feels like and neither do you.”
2 likes