Start by marking “The Blue Day Book: A Lesson in Cheering Yourself Up” as Want to Read:
The Blue Day Book: A Lesson in Cheering Yourself Up

The Blue Day Book: A Lesson in Cheering Yourself Up

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,997 Ratings  ·  209 Reviews
The Blue Day Book is a wonderful collection of amusing, poignant animal photos and inspirational text designed to lift the spirits of anyone who s got the blues. No one who has lips will be able to read it without smiling; it s guaranteed. The fact is, we all have our bad days -- they are an intrinsic part of being human. As prescribed by The Blue Day Book in its delightfu ...more
Published 2000 by Andrews McMeel Pub.

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Day Book, please sign up.

Recent Questions

Nayereh Ahmadian
عنوانش خیلی مناسبه ! برای روزهایی که دمغی چکار کنی که دلت واشه . تصاویر کتاب و خلاقیت نویسنده رو دوست داشتم.
Niloo Beygi
Dec 12, 2016 Niloo Beygi rated it liked it
Shelves: غیر
ترکیبی جذاب از عکس حیوانات و جمله هایی مرتبط از احوالات متفاوت انسانی به خصوص وقتی که خیلی گرفته است. ترکیب مناسب عکس ها با حالات انقدر بانمک هستن که برای چند دقیقه حال شما رو عوض کنن.
Amber
Sep 08, 2011 Amber rated it did not like it
This book is the most condescending self-help book I've ever had the misfortune of picking up. The worst part is the bit about how life is worth living for love. I'm lucky enough to have a partner who truly is my light on those bad days, but I think this book would have made me feel even worse if I didn't.

Also, I don't think that sheep was enjoying herself one bit. It made me feel very uncomfortable.
Katherine
Dec 12, 2008 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a totally sweet little book, subtitled A Lesson in Cheering Yourself Up. The combination of the quirky text and amazing photo illustrations really made me smile. A good read for a blue day.
Apatricia
Oct 30, 2016 Apatricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quero este livro para mim !!!
É tão querido, motivador e inspiracional! Recomendo para quando estivermos mais em baixo ou só quando quisermos sorrir!
Jen
Sep 22, 2015 Jen rated it it was ok
You know, I never would have thought of myself saying this, but the Internet has overtaken my appreciation for this book.

The main draw of it is that it's a bunch of pictures of animals with apropos captions. But now, with things like I Can Has Cheezburger, I can find that all over the place--and the thing of it is that the captions aren't that great. The photos are, although I would have preferred they shift from greyscale to full color once the mood of the book shifted, but the captions are jus
Amy
Feb 06, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me by my co-workers when my mom died. I was twenty, trying to finish school, and working three jobs. Things don't get much harder than that. I still pick it up every once in awhile and read it(sad or not) to remind me that things always get better and there are people who care about you. If only takes 5 minutes to read through, the quickest pick-me-up ever!
Lisa Vegan
Jun 14, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it it was ok
Recommended to Lisa by: Laura
Despite the fact that I didn’t much like this book, I’d still love to read The Blue Day Book for Kids: A Lesson in Cheering Yourself Up, which I’m sure uses many different examples than does this book, but I can’t get hold of a copy.

Gosh, I hate pop psych, but I’m stuck at home feeling ill (just as well since I’m also expecting a UPS package) and wondered if I’d look more favorably on something like this regarding feeling crummy physically. Nope; neither.

Cute animal photos, including a couple di
Olivia Linn
Oct 01, 2016 Olivia Linn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
It was a fun short read. I think it was cute cute and intriguing especially in the first half. I think when we reached the conclusion of it I was a bit disappointed, but I take the book as to be funny more than helpful. It's about having a blue day obviously and all the funny pictures with tag lines, about why we have bad days, were hilarious. BUT then when the reason for getting yourself up again after a bad day was for romance of all things, I was immediately thinking that if I was down becaus ...more
MountainShelby
Aug 02, 2015 MountainShelby rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
I normally wouldn't list this type of book as I "read" it in less than 10 minutes, if that, in the library. The beginning of the book is fine, but then it seems to me that the author wrote the short text to coincide with the available animal photos (or so I hope). That would at least explain the "all you need is [romantic] love" resolution along with the Kool Aid that follows. While I normally wouldn't invest much thought in this type of party favor book, I feel very strongly that "self help" bo ...more
Melanie
Jul 29, 2015 Melanie rated it it was ok
I picked up this book in a waiting room and I LOVED it at first. It acknowledges that we all have bad days and different things trigger them. But the pictures of animals are so funny and fitting that you have to smile a little. I was fully prepared to love this book. And I did - except in the middle. Because according to this book, the reason we can't stay blue is (wait for it.....) ROMANCE! Kisses and snuggles and smooches. Seriously? Not a helpful book for someone who has suffered through bad ...more
Erin
Aug 29, 2010 Erin rated it it was amazing
There is a page in this book, with a lion laying in the grass, that perfectly describes one of the ways serious depression can feel. The saying on the page (I am probably misquoting it a bit but don't have the book with me) says, "And sometimes you get so depressed that you lay on the ground and wait for the earth to swallow you whole." Very powerful.
Brenda
Jul 15, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is the first of these beautiful little books I picked up to read many years ago...it started me buying them all, and they are certainly worth it. Beautiful photos, inspirational words, humerous, sad, you'll never get through the book without a smile! So worth reading, for everyone, and such special, worthwhile gifts!
Skye
Sep 26, 2011 Skye rated it really liked it
I just brought this book into my English class last Thursday and they loved it! Even the students who swear that they "don't like doing fun things" in class were smiling and laughing half-way through this quick, uplifting book. It simply shows cute/funny pictures of animals with witty sayings to help cheer up even the saddest of people! A definite smile maker! :)
Romina Rudas
Jan 08, 2017 Romina Rudas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libros-2017
Me pareció un libro tan gracioso y con muy buenas fotografías, me lo leí en cinco minutos con mi hermanita y realmente me gusto.
Valerie Ryoo
Oct 16, 2014 Valerie Ryoo rated it it was amazing
great book that heals my mind.
Jun 14, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
If you are in a very bad mood today, you MUST read this book!!! A children book? I doubt it.
Jaimie
Mar 21, 2017 Jaimie rated it liked it
My mum sent me this book a while back (presumably when I was bitching non-stop about my job), but I’ve only just gotten around to reading it now. It’s pretty cute, and it definitely falls on the silly side of so-called self-help books since it employs the tried-and-true method of pairing amusing animal photos with the text to parlay its advice. I wasn’t sad when I read this book, so I can’t fully judge its validity as a source of cheering up, but I still got a few laughs and that is enough.
Becca
Feb 18, 2017 Becca rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Good, not as amazing as I had anticipated.
Sarahanne
Glurg.
L.E. Truscott
Mar 08, 2016 L.E. Truscott rated it really liked it
Published in 2000, The Blue Day Book might have been the early genesis of lolcats and funny goat videos. It is a collection of black-and-white animal photographs that have managed to capture a range of human emotions and Greive has arranged them and composed accompanying short sentences to evoke how we all feel this way sometimes, even those of us who aren’t human.

As the title suggests, the book is aimed at perking up anyone experiencing a “blue day”. For those experiencing a succession of them
Natasha GJ Nanny Nakia
Nanny Books

Nunca había visto una dedicatoria tan graciosa como la de Bradley Trevor Greive en su libro Un día de aquellos, que comienza agradeciendo a sus padres de esta forma: "(...) quienes nunca dejaron de llevarme a ver el mundo, incluso después de que fui mordido por pingüinos. Dos veces."
Este es un libro con mucho humor, con imágenes grandes y frases muy directas. El autor nos trata de levantar el ánimo y nos habla de situaciones reales. ¿Quién no se ha encontrado una arruga, ha subido de
Markus
Dec 12, 2011 Markus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I am giving Bradley Trevor Greive's The Blue Day Book: A Lesson in Cheering Yourself Up 5 stars for cheering me every moment I feel blue.
When the coldest of the days knock on your door, and make you lie on a fetal position. A sweet book that might appeal to the ladies when you give it to them as a gift. I actually happen to leaf through it at Booksale. Very convenient. I bought this one, plus the ones that relate to how special are your parents.
The photos of innocent animals are heart warming
Alma
Oct 22, 2011 Alma rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-2010-11
Grieve, Bradley Trevor. The Blue Day Book. Andrews McMeel Publishing. 2000. 92 pp. ISBN: 0740704818. Genre: Inspirational, Self-help

Rating: 4.00 Stars. A quick 'pick me up book' for when life has you down in the dumps with the adorable black and white pictures of animals in silly poses.

Summary: Sometimes we are all faced with those days or points in our lives when things are just not going how we want them to. This book show those moments with black and white pictures in silly poses.

Main Charact
Lyndsey Wells
Jun 08, 2016 Lyndsey Wells rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for students who tend to lack the words for how they are feeling. It's an extremely expressive book which includes adorable real life pictures of animals on every page. The overall tone of the book is "blue" or in other words sad, but it picks up in the end as a pep talk, giving children ideas about how they can cheer themselves up when they are feeling left out or unhappy. I particularly enjoy reading this book aloud because it really climbs into a child's mentality no ...more
Syo ⋆ Shadow Minded ⋆
I picked up this book feeling slightly cynical, looking at the title 'A Lesson in Cheering Yourself Up'. I've read a lot of books like this before and they've never help, and normally only made me feel worse because I couldn't do the things the book said.

However, The Blue Day Book is absolutely wonderful. It's simple, sweet advice that anyone can take and live out and it has tons of pictures of adorable animals. Win-win!

I will definitely be reading this every time I have a bit of a rough day; i
Peacegal
Jan 23, 2012 Peacegal rated it liked it
I normally enjoy cute pictures of animals, and I usually need cheering up, so naturally I was drawn to this book when I spotted it on a cataloging shelf.

The photographs inside are black and white stock photos; many appear to be quite old. The majority of the photos are harmless, but a few show animals posed in dangerous or disturbing situations for laughs. I don't see how images like this will cheer anyone up.

The text is Ok; it shifts between twee sentiments and darker, more adult humor.
Keli Wright
Jul 10, 2008 Keli Wright rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone should read it once I have read it outloud to many many people
Recommended to Keli by: Sister Williams
Christmas 2000 My companion and I are opening up gifts and Sister Williams opened up this, we thought it was SOOOO CUTE and Sister Williams started reading this out loud to me. We LOVED it and thought it was so cute and almost every page we thought we need to read this to our converts!!!! we kept saying it until we got to this page with a pig and sheep,which is in the older version's of this book we were like AAAH we can't read this to our converts!!!!! ahhahahah
Beth
Apr 06, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
My friend gave me this book ten years ago, but I still smile whenever I take the time to page through it.

It reads like a picture book with only a sentence or less on each page (and, in fact, it held my three-year-old's attention, looking at the funny photographs), but it's surprisingly powerful. It validates and encourages all with gentle humor. It's rare to find such a quick mood-booster in book form.
Bailey
Aug 27, 2013 Bailey rated it it was amazing
I've picked up this book and read it so many times that the pages are ripped and the front cover is falling off, it looks like its been through a war. You'd think the same pictures of cute animals get old after a certain number of reads, but they never do. The same pages never fail to make me laugh, and I can always count on this book to cheer me up whether I've just had a bad day or one of the worst days of my life.
  • My Secret: A PostSecret Book
  • Hubener vs. Hitler: A Biography of Helmuth Hubener, Mormon Teenage Resistance Leader
  • 101 Salivations: For the Love of Dogs
  •  The Art of James Christensen: A Journey of the Imagination
  • It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider
  • The Book of Animal Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is Wrong
  • Blossom Comes Home
  • Ming Ling
  • Return of the Bunny Suicides
  • Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck Dictionary: Words You Thought You Knew the Meaning Of
  • The Ladybird Book of the Hipster
  • True Tales of Animal Heroes
  • How to Clean Practically Anything
  • All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome
  • Pooh's Little Instruction Book
  • One silent sleepless night
  • The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook
  • Allies in Healing: When the Person You Love Is a Survivor of Child Sexual Abuse
Bradley Trevor Greive (BTG) is one of Australia's most prolific and successful authors. He has written 20 books which have been translated into 27 different languages, and have been sold in 115 different countries. Several of which have appeared in the New York Times bestseller list. Greive's work has won multiple awards worldwide and has sold more than 20 million copies. He lives mostly in Tasman ...more
More about Bradley Trevor Greive...