Start by marking “The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy” as Want to Read:
The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy

The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,782 Ratings  ·  775 Reviews
The King's Speech was written by London Sunday Times journalist Peter Conradi and Mark Logue—grandson of Lionel Logue, whose recently discovered diaries and correspondence contain fascinating details about these true events.

At the urging of his wife, Elizabeth, the Duke of York (known to the royal family as "Bertie") began to see speech therapist Lionel Logue in a desper
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published February 28th 2011 by Tantor Media (first published November 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The King's Speech, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King's Speech

Cathy
4.5 stars. I expected to skim the book to see what the real story behind the movie was, where the movie differed from reality, and maybe a bit more info about Logue. But I ended up reading every word! Let me be clear though, this is not the story of the movie. It's a shame that the cover has a picture from the film. I know it's good for sales, but it's misleading for people who will expect a similar narrative story. The movie was the dramatization of some of the events in the book. It covered a ...more
Diane
I wanted to read this because I had really enjoyed the movie version and was curious how much of the events in the film had been fictionalized. Surprisingly, the movie was fairly accurate.

Mark Logue, who is the grandson of speech therapist Lionel Logue, used family scrapbooks, journals and letters to create this account of Lionel's experience helping the Duke of York (later known as King George VI) with his lifelong stammer. The two men became friends, which seemed to comfort the Duke as he trie
Book Concierge
Book on CD read by Simon Vance
3.5***

Subtitled: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy
That may be a bit of an exaggeration, but Lionel Logue certainly seemed to have saved at least one monarch. At the urging of his wife Elizabeth, the Duke of York (known to the royal family as “Bertie”) began to see speech therapist Lionel Logue for help in overcoming a lifelong stammer. His father, King George V, insisted that his sons begin to take on more royal responsibilities, and the introduction of radio
Heather
Mar 22, 2011 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
two and a half stars
-as the author stated the movie was a biopic, not a documentary and this book served to related how Logue's life intersected with the life of the King based on his papers and diaries
-it's a dry, chronological summary of Logue's life and has the added benefit of suppling his reactions and feelings about the King. It was clear that both men respected one another and had a unique and generous friendship.
-after i saw the movie i read about 1500 pages of biographies on the queen m
Wendy
I loved the movie The King's Speech, which is why I bought this book. Now...I still like the movie, but I don't really love it anymore. This is one of those times when the real story outstrips the movie version by lengths, I think. Of course, not everyone will agree with me, but that's all right. Differences of opinion make the world interesting, as that one fellow said. Can't remember who.

Anyway, I really, really liked this book, in spite of the dry, documentary, 'so-and-so wrote this, and so-a
❆ Crystal ❆
2.5 stars. I liked parts of this book well enough. Interesting subject about stuttering and how Logue was able to help the King and others as well. I found it informative and interesting at times. I did get bogged down with all the speeches. It seemed like either the book could have been shorter, or other interesting events put in their place, but it felt very repetitive to list all the speeches he made at the time. I also had issue with the author going pages and pages before listing the year. ...more
Meteori
Apr 23, 2016 Meteori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ovu knjigu je najbolje posmatrati kao dokumentarac i to dobar dokumentarac.

Puna je istorijskih činjenica od prve do poslednje stranice. Ali ne samo to, ona je potkrijepljena ličnom prepiskom između kralja i njegovog terapeuta. I tu se najbolje vidi da su i oni ljudi sa svojim strijepnjama, strahovima, nadanjima... i da, bez obzira na svu moć koju posjeduju, ipak ne mogu da utiču na sve. Kralj Džordž VI je opisan vrlo lijepo, kao osjećajna i dobra osoba. Ovo je još jedna knjiga iz koje može dosta
Jane (PS)
Jun 12, 2015 Jane (PS) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, audiobook

What a great story - made more impressive/interesting by the fact that it is true. I'm not a history, royalty or war buff, with limited interest in those topics, so perhaps this is part of the reason why I found this personal history so absorbing. I loved the very detailed and intimate writings about some of the 20th Centuries most notable figures, include Edward and Mrs Simpson.

I loved the portrayal of Bertie and Elizabeth. Some of the earlier information was pretty confusing. Not only
Cassandra
Jan 26, 2015 Cassandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lionel Logue ist ein Sprachtherapeut, der mit voller Liebe und Hingabe sich um seine Patienten bemüht und sein bekanntester Patient ist der spätere britische König George VI.. Was als normale Patienten-Therapeuten Beziehung beginnt, wandelt sich im Laufe der Jahre zu einer tiefen Männerfreundschaft, die voll gegenseitigem Respekt ist.

Wer den Film ‚The King’s Speech‘ gesehen hat, wird sich vielleicht für die reale Geschichte hinter der Kinoversion interessieren und wird hier bestens informiert.
Sarah Beaudoin
Jan 09, 2011 Sarah Beaudoin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure which came first, the movie or the book (even the author's introduction is ambivalent on this point) but each version of The King's Speech tell a slightly different version of the same great story. King George VI had a terrible speech impediment and after no success with countless doctors, enlisted the help of Australian Lionel Logue, a self taught speech therapist and elocutionist, to train him to speak correctly.

The book The King's Speech is written by Lionel Logue's grandson, Ma
Isabel
That was a lovely quick read. Thoroughly enjoyed it and although it, once more, showed how much films are changed to make things more dramatic, it still made me feel warm and fuzzy about the film.
Oh, and I had to make myself remember over and over that CF was *not* the king but the one whose photos and moments on film I've seen often enough. You see, I was forever picturing CF while reading the book.

Anyway, I highly recommend this book for those who watched the film already and loved it.
Espec
Mom
Jun 13, 2014 Mom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was well written and full of interesting information. I learned a lot about the second World War that I didn't know and clarified things that I did. It's a great companion to other books that I have read about World War II and the Royal family.
Quanjun
Two stars: the book was ok.

I read this because Churchill wrote favourably of George VI as a wartime King and also because I want to watch the movie (haven't yet, about to).

However, this book leaves me feeling like if someone brought up this topic in a conversation, I would have very little of interest to say to it. Mainly because the book claims to want to go deeper into Logue's life than the movie but actually doesn't do that. 90% of Logue's appearances were accompanied by the King and all of t
Marc Maitland
Having seen the film recently, and having been thoroughly moved by it, and enjoyed every minute of it, reading the book of the same name seemed an obvious choice! I was not disappointed.

Firstly, the book is not a screenplay for the film, nor is it simply a biography of Lionel Logue, C.V.O., the Australian speech therapist who helped King George VI overcome his speech difficulties and became a loyal and valued friend in the process. The book seems to have been devised at the same time as the film
Ray Campbell
Jul 19, 2012 Ray Campbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
This is not a novelization. This is a biography of Lionel Logue by his grandson. Inevitably, the book is also a study and biography of King George VI. The story begins in Australia during the 19th century when Logue was born. Logue's story is interesting since he travels the world before settling in London and beginning the speech therapy practice which ultimately leads to his work with the king. The bulk of the book covers the years Logue worked with the king since it was also the bulk of his l ...more
Autumn
Wow. I did not see that coming. enjoying this memoir while finding that strength that often fails me to keep going.

It was enlightening to read how Bertie found his own voice, by conquering his own shadows. I also admired the tenacity of his wife Elizabeth and the infallible faith that Lionel transmitted to the ppl that needed most.

"Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying. .."I will try again tomorrow."
Katy Noyes
Jan 05, 2016 Katy Noyes rated it it was amazing
A very well-read audio version, the narrator talks in Logue's voice (and Australian accent) when reading from his diaries, and assumes other accents when speaking their letters and diaries (though the Birmingham one did make me laugh). It did give it an air of authenticity and remind you that these are REAL diaries and events, real people, however extraordinary they seem.

I've watched the film many times, and wanted some more background detail, here provided by Logue's grandson. This tells the sa
Jamie Collins
This is a nice supplement to the movie, which is an excellently dramatised version of the story but necessarily takes liberties, especially with the timeline. The reality is slightly less exciting, perhaps, but it’s still a poignant tale. If you’ve already read a biography of George VI then there’s not much new information here, but the book is worth reading for its focus on his speech, and for the story of Logue and his interaction with the royal family.
May 22, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an incredible story - the unlikely bond between these two men and the ways they helped each other was truly touching. I love the movie, but the book added so much more depth and context. At times, I was overwhelmed by the details and dates, but for the most part it was clear to follow. If you have any interest in the monarchy, WWII, speech therapy, or even just unlikely friendships, I recommend this book.
John Bicknell
Nov 10, 2014 John Bicknell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book works as a nice companion to the movie, providing more information about both Lionel Logue and King George VI, how they came together and what it took to accomplish the makeover of the king's speech defect.

Using Lionel Logue's diaries, the author (Logue's grandson) fills in the details of the speech therapist's biography, and also briskly gives us a "life ands times" portrait of King George VI.

The movie necessarily telescoped events and set up a single, grand triumph (and incidentally
Valya Tomova
Jan 16, 2016 Valya Tomova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Беше ми доста интересно, любопитно и увлекателно. Истински герои, истински събития. Невероятна книга!
Mary Anne
I am one of those who really liked the film The King's Speech. And not just because I am so fond of Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, and Helena Bonham Carter. I really liked the story of the film, and I found this book (in audible format) some time ago and thought it might be a fun read.

One of the things that you need to understand about this book is that it's nonfiction and based on all available news clippings, letters, biographies, and diary entries. It's quite impressive that Mark Logue (grandson
Al Bità
A rather pedestrian presentation of otherwise comparatively unknown personal events at a time of great crisis in the world, this book seems to rely only on well-researched material from private diaries not normally accessible to the general public. Extra incisive commentary seems lacking. Nevertheless, the book is easy to read, and I'm sure many will find it enjoyable enough.

For me, the most interesting aspects of the book are its probably unwitting revelations about societal customs of the time
Gerry
Jul 17, 2013 Gerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lionel Logue is not a name that was very familiar to many of us but 'The King's Speech' puts that little matter right as he was undoubtedly the man who helped make George VI into the excellent King that he was.

When Logue first encountered the then Duke of York, that gentleman's speech was poor as he stammered and paused so often that it was embarrassing for him. And his father George V would often lose patience with him and chastise him, which only made the Duke of York worse.

Logue was born in A
Teri Kelly
Apr 24, 2011 Teri Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The quack who weren't a quack saved the House of Windsor(again), gor blimey strike me pink he did he d-d-d-did. True enough, Lionel Logue, expat Aussie, part-time treader of the boards and unlicensed speech therapist (having taught shell-shocked Aussie WWI vets to talk again) found himself inadvertently thrust into the role of the King's (stutterer George VI) ventriloquist. And a hansome job he made of it too. Proving along the way that paper credentials are worth nothing, and that the patient/t
Wayne
Feb 04, 2011 Wayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone...members of dysfunctional families, royals and royalists, stammerers,
Recommended to Wayne by: an article on the film
Having read the book and seen the film, can safely say YES to both.
The book -an interesting footnote to history and a much more significant film with fine acting, direction and production and a wonderful blend of humour and humanity in the script. It certainly deserves any awards it gets, whereas the book would not win any awards,which does not make it any the less an interesting historical document.

But this is a book review not a film review....SO: - interesting but occasionally unaware of itse
Roberta
Mar 12, 2011 Roberta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was impossible to read this book without picturing the main characters as Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush! But it was Lionel Logue, the speech teacher, who most fascinated me and my favorite parts of the book were the ones in which his personal story emerged. His first inkling about the direction in which he should head with a career was his high school fascination with the rhythm in Longfellow's poem, The Song of Hiawatha. Interest in elocution was high as entertainment in this time of no tele ...more
Karen (Kew)
Jul 11, 2011 Karen (Kew) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love history so really enjoyed reading this account. It is written by Lionel Logue's grandson, Mark. He has access to hundreds of letters, diary entries, photographs and newspaper clippings which Lionel Logue had collected throughout his career - as well as access to family memories. This makes the book a very accurate and personal account. You will not find out details of how Logue treated the king however, as he never wrote up the case; nor did he set out his methods for curing speech impedi ...more
Tracey
Really enjoyed this book. It gave a much bigger insight to the life of not only Lionel Logue but also King George VI ( Bertie).It starts with the life of Lionel in Australia , and copntinues to the time they come to London.
From this time, you get to see how the relationship as speech therapist to the king changes into a life lasting friendship and how Logue is in a supportive role.
The biography is interesting not only because of the friendship, but also the historical period and the troubles t
Christie
I picked this book up because I enjoyed the movie so much and also because the theme for this month's History of Royals' group read is the Windsors and this book fit the bill. It was a good and quick read. The book reads like a double biography of King George VI and his speech therapist, Lionel Logue. Both men get equal coverage in the book. Its quite a fascinating look into the emerging field of speech therapy as well as the British monarchy leading up to mid-20th century. It does a good job of ...more
Sherlock Homies: Introduction 7 7 Apr 15, 2015 06:28PM
  • Elizabeth
  • The Queen Mother: The Official Biography
  • Shooting Victoria: Madness, Mayhem, and the Rebirth of the British Monarchy
  • Katherine Swynford: The Story of John of Gaunt and His Scandalous Duchess
  • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters 1860-1918
  • A Magnificent Obsession: Victoria, Albert, and the Death That Changed the British Monarchy
  • The Chronicles of Downton Abbey: A New Era
  • The Lady Queen: The Notorious Reign of Joanna I, Queen of Naples, Jerusalem, and Sicily
  • The Social Network - screenplay
  • Colin Firth: The Man Who Would Be King
  • Henry: Virtuous Prince
  • Poe: A Life Cut Short
  • Princesses: The Six Daughters of George III

“When the fresh patient comes to me the usual query is: "Will I be able to speak like the King?" and my reply is: "Yes, if you will work like he does." [says Lionel Logue]” 3 likes
“Every public speaker likes his hearer to imagine his oratory as an unpremeditated gift of nature, and not the result of prolonged and patient study [Lionel Logue said]” 1 likes