Start by marking “The Call of the Mild (Psych, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Call of the Mild (Psych, #3)

The Call of the Mild (Psych #3)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  478 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Based on the hit USA Network series
A new novel fans will be totally "psyched" about...
Shawn Spencer has convinced everyone he's psychic.
Now, he's either going to clean up-or be found out...
Shawn Spencer has always hated the wilderness-by which he means anything outside the delivery radius of his favorite pizza place. But Psych has been hired to solve a baffling cas
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Call of the Mild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Call of the Mild

Rita Moricz
This was a really great story. Definitely had the vibe of Psych. It was perfect for me to read it now since I miss Psych so much. It had a great dynamic and the story kept me interested. I always to wanted to read more to finally find out who did it. I especially like the wilderness part. It reminded me a little bit of Agatha Christie's "And then there were none". So, if you liked that element you should definitely check that book out too.
The only thing it would have made it better, if it were
Perry Reed
I'm going to repeat this review for all of the Psych books that I've read, since they're essentially all the same.

If you like the TV show, and it is one of my favorites, then the books aren't bad. Unfortunately, they're not very good either. I expected them to read more or less like an extended episode of the show, but they don't, really. Instead they almost entirely ignore the characters of Detectives Lassiter and O'Hara and focus pretty much exclusively on Shawn and Gus. Mostly Gus, actually,
Chris
This was such a great book. I would recommend this to any Psych fan. William Rabkin does a wonderful job of capturing the Characters from the television show and translating them into this book. Were I must admit that Shawn and Gus are not the same as in the show; there is no way someone can fully capture what the actors bring to the characters.

The book was a very fast read and I found myself totally engrossed in the story line. While I read this on my Kindle app at work when I was bored, I fle
Mith
Better than the last book. An eccentric billionaire head of a prestigious law firm hires Shawn and Gus to ferret out a murderer amongst his lawyers. He sends his team (Shawn and Gus, included undercover) to an isolated mountain-top and leaves them there. The team has to trek all the way down by themselves. Only one among them has the map and they're not telling. Shawn and Gus have to survive the perilous descent under the watchful eye of the murderer while making sure they're all not killed off ...more
Cherie
What seems like a simple case of retrieving a lost necklace takes a deadly turn in William Rabkin's The Call of the Mild. This novel is a TV tie-in book for the show Psych. The best part of the book is the witty dialogue. Rabkin often had me laughing at what Shawn, Gus, Henry, and the others said. Some of the pop culture references went over my head. The plot was a bit all over the place, and there were instances when the narrative could've been tightened, but I still figured out who was killing ...more
Crowinator
Don't judge me.

I'm going through a reading slump, tired from work, and needed to de-stress today. For what it is (basically extended fanfiction for the TV show Psych), it's better than I thought it would be, probably because this series of books is written by an actual TV show writer/producer who knows the show. The book nails Psych's rapid-fire, pop culture-based humor and the banter between Shawn and Gus; it provides a ridiculous but decently-plotted main mystery; and it entertained me for th
Sam Falco
Laugh out loud funny in many places, a fun read.
Rose
I have three requirements when it comes to tie-in novels: a well-written plot; that the characters behave the way they behave on the show/movie; and that there's internal action as well as external, or in other words, that the story isn't just fluff. It's important to me that we see something deeper about the characters, in who they are as people and in their relationships to each other; when I read a "Monk" book, for instance, it's all very well and good to have Monk hilariously freaking out on ...more
Dianne Munro
Edward Davies
As with many book series, the Psych books are starting to be less engrossing. Lassie and Juliet are barely in it, Henry seems to be tacked on to bump up the page count,and the work retreat where Shawn and Gus are stranded on a mountain with a group of lawyers - one of whom might be a killer - didn't work as well as it could have. Add in the overused pop culture references and Gus's slow regression into a-sometime-nother Shawn, and I just hope that the last two books take a different turn...
Mark Baker
Shawn and Gus are hired to find a missing necklace. But after they are robbed and their client murdered, they realize something bigger must be going on. The book was fun, but takes too many wild turns, leaving the book feeling unfocused.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Michael
So far, the only thing I dislike about the Psych novels are how the synopses on the back of the book aren't close to the actual plot of the story. According to the book, the boys are sent on a wilderness retreat where they investigate a murder, but the wilderness retreat doesn't happen until halfway through the book.
So.....

An innocent search for a lost piece of jewelry leads to murder, and the clues lead Shawn and Gus to Santa Barbara's most prestigious law firm. But things get dicey when the
Annice22
This was not very good at all. The characterizations were off and the story and the mystery were both boring and poorly written.

I'm a fan of the show and this book didn't feel like the show at all.
Practical Mike
Love Psych... this book didn't feel like Psych to me.

I think the problem with this book and Psych is that it doesn't do Shawn justice. The narrative choice of Guster being the "eyes" through which the story is seen by the reader leaves Shawn aloof. And while Shawn does "aloof" very well with the other characters, it is not a desirable relationship with the audience. Shawn basically moves from point A to clue B and hits all his cues, but it felt like an actor delivering lines, not Shawn making me
Allen Howard
Psych is about two detectives one of which is a fake Psychic detective. He makes people believe that he is psychic by “having” visions. The story starts out by Psych getting hired to go find a missing bracelet, which, not know at the time, involves top-secret information of the U. S. Government. While in their quest of then discovering about the information and a murder of Archie Kane, the team of Shawn and Gus end up on a corporate retreat to the mountains outside of California. Along their way ...more
Kayt
This was much better than I expected it to be. The story cleans up nicely and is suspenseful, but the main draw of it is what makes the characters so appealing on TV as well: witty, snappy dialog. The book is chock-full of humor, sarcasm, and Shawn's just plain weirdness.

Having at least some exposure to the show is probably a good thing, just because you'll then have some knowledge of the perpetual quick banter that permeates the series, but you definitely don't have to be a die-hard fan to enjo
Jules
A mindless series of paperbacks, but sometimes that is needed. This one wrapped up a bit too quick and had its problem areas, but otherwise was a good solid easy read.

Also good for reading out loud on road trips, just a suggestion :)
Tracy
Donald
Dude, this is a sweet book!

Just what I would want from a book tied into one of my favorite tv shows. It has the humor and pop-culture references you'd expect and all the characters are perfectly captured. The first description of Lassie is laugh-out-loud funny. I like how most of the book is from Gus' point of view; Shawn's would be too weird and besides, it's much funnier to watch poor Gus have to deal with Shawn than it would be to know exactly what's going on in that dude's head.
Sue
Aug 06, 2011 Sue rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all fans of the characters and the show itself
Shelves: humor, psych-tv-show
It's been disastrous.
I liked the very beginning, it was much like the show with all of the little winks and those really great jokes. I also liked how in-character all the protagonists were.
What I didn't like was all the rest. It was absurd, far off the psych-road and partly almost splatter-like. I still like it because I'm a fan of the characters and the show.

It's been my first book out of psych and I'm planning on reading more - hopefully the next one will be better.
Krystle Kouture
How Did This Book Find Me?: Bought it at Borders (tear) because I'm a fan of the show

What I liked most: It was a unique book. Not your typical someone kills someone mystery. It takes place in the woods on a corporate "retreat". Also, the humor is a big plus.

What I liked least: There are some typo/tense issues which is annoying. Also, the ending was pretty lame.

Would I read more by this author: Maybe at the library, but I'm not rushing out to purchase

Dawn
This was probably the best of the three Psych books. The mystery was much more straight forward than the past two books, and the majority of this book followed one string in a Clue-like fashion. My only complaint is that some of the things Shawn figured out weren't explained well. There seemed to be some pretty big leaps in his logic and then he ended up being correct. Maybe it's just because there's no "Shawn Vision" to help us along?
Katie
This is the second Psych tie-in book I've read, the first being "A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Read", and I have to say, this one was way better. I liked the wilderness setting, and the plot was set up in a way that the reader could play along and try to solve the mystery on their own. The characters seemed better... well, characterized, even if there wasn't much of Lassie or Juliet. A fun and easy read for any Psych-o.
Judy
I had looked forward to reading this book as I love the television series. But I found it kind of plodding at times. It took me quite a while to get into the book. I kept putting it down to read other things. The chatter that makes Shawn unique in the show was more annoying when read. But the plot was pretty good and over all, I probably will read another one before making a final judgment on the series.
Mike Tuter

I was disappointed with this book. I am a big fan of the show & there were a few parts where I laughed out loud because I could truly picture Shawn & Gus bantering back & forth with each other or someone else; however, the story kind of dragged for me even though it was only 278 pages. Also in my opinion there were not enough laugh out loud moments to make up for the boring story.
Jack
Unlike some other reviewers, I felt this DID read like an episode of Psych. Short chapters (scenes?) and the same familiar repartee between Sean and Gus. A good rainy summer day read and it was nice to revisit the boys in Santa Barbara since the series finale!
Heidi
I had to stay up late to finish this one. I did have the killer figured out early but a twist made me doubt myself. That combined with the climatic ending made it definitely worth a read to me. I highly recommend it, especially if you are a fan of the show.
Kelli
These are fun books, and a quick read. If you like the show, you'll like the books. The books aren't as great as the show though...probably because there's no James Roday to look at except in your mind's eye :)
Julie
I have no problem with the quality of the writing, but Psych is a concept that didn't translate well into a novel. It's more a testament to the acting on the show than a dig at the author.
  • Mr. Monk and The Blue Flu (Mr. Monk, #3)
  • Burn Notice: The End Game (Burn Notice, #2)
  • Mr. Monk Helps Himself (Mr. Monk #16)
  • Dressed to Keel (A Darcy Cavanaugh Mystery #1)
  • Eureka: Road Less Traveled (Eureka, #3)
  • Sherlock's Home: The Empty House
  • Round the Bend
William Rabkin is a two-time Edgar Award nominee who writes the Psych series of novels and is the author of Writing the Pilot. He has consulted for studios in Canada, Germany, and Spain on television series production and teaches screenwriting at UCLA Extension and as an adjunct professor in UC Riverside's low-residency masters program.

William Rabkin has written and/or produced more than 300 hours
More about William Rabkin...
A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Read (Psych, #1) Mind Over Magic (Psych, #2) A Fatal Frame of Mind (Psych, #4) Mind-altering Murder (Psych, #5) Writing the Pilot

“It could be worse, Shawn said...
We're all sitting around this fire not knowing which one among us is the person who has been systematically picking us off...

Now imagine that while we're sitting here, Reggie's head falls off his body, grows spider legs, and runs away into the darkness.

The silence following Shawn's remark was the quietest Gus had ever heard. Even the fire stopped popping and sparking for a moment.”
0 likes