Start by marking “Berlinerpoplene” as Want to Read:
Berlinerpoplene

Berlinerpoplene (Neshov Family #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  1,126 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Da Anna Neshov får hjerneslag og blir liggende for døden samles familien for første gang på mange år. Følelser man trodde var begravd og borte for lengst blusser opp igjen og nye følelser dukker opp når mørke hemmeligheter blir avslørt. Dette er den første boka om familien Neshov.
Hardcover, 14th edition, 314 pages
Published 2005 by Forlaget Oktober (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Berlinerpoplene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Berlinerpoplene

Declan
It's possible that this book does not deserve five stars, but I'm giving it the maximum amount anyway because it's a book that means a lot to me. This was the first book I read after being unable to read any book for a full year because of my total inability to concentrate; a result of the turmoil in my life at that time (c. 3 years ago). The book brings together the members of a fractured family and allows them to reach a point where they can see each other as vulnerable, feeling, confused huma ...more
Mike
Slow, slow, slow. Depressing. Kinda what you'd expect from Skandanavia in winter somehow.
Marte Patel
This was a great book, the best I've read in a while. I even cried at one point in the middle, and books very rarely make me cry. I can't wait to read the next book in the trilogy! The books have been translated into English - this one is called Berlin Poplars. I'd really recommend it!
Antonomasia
[4.5] This Norwegian novel set at Christmas perhaps isn't desperately original, but if I enjoy an example of one of my most-hated genres - the family saga, and one with such a twee cover - this much, it must be doing plenty right. It's cosy, sometimes funny, and just the right amount of dark. (For me at least, often finding standard ideas of cosy to be cloying.) In an initial scenario reminiscent of The Corrections, adult children of a dispersed, dysfunctional family gather, prompted by the illn ...more
Sylva
První díl trilogie o navenek tradiční rodině ze severonorského venkova: čtivý a civilní (těch pár kýčovitých tahů nevadí), aktuální i s přesahem do minulosti, napínavý i rozvláčný, pravdivý a s pointou, která mi vyrazila dech. Autorka dobře vystihuje kontrast města a venkova, individuální svobody a nekonečné poslušnosti vůči rodiči, upřímnosti a až zrůdné přetvářky. Škoda jen, že jsem knížku dočetla dřív, než vyjde druhý díl.
Karen
A gift from a dear Norwegian friend, this was the perfect holiday read: snow, Christmas, dysfunctional family, history -- the works. I devoured it in one day.
Margarida
Foi a minha estreia na literatura nórdica, neste caso norueguesa. A única hipótese era ler a tradução em Inglês ou Francês, já que esta autora não está (que me tenha dado conta) traduzida em Português. Como já tinha os 3 e-books da trilogia em Francês, ingressei na leitura.

A história ao início não parece prometer muito. Temos uma família de camponeses numa cidade norueguesa. Um casal de 80 anos que teve 3 filhos, que não podiam ser mais diferentes uns dos outros (pela ordem como nos são apresent
annik
«Тополь берлинский» хорош с точки зрения описательности и способности автора вгрызаться в самую суть суровых северян, но в остальном книга тянулась бесконечной чередой беспросветностей, что порядком замедлило процесс чтения и даже утомило. Книга Рагде не шла даже по трезвости, и виной тому, как ни странно, не свинарник, в котором происходит пятая часть действия и сопутствующие ему запахи. Виновата сама история, сами люди, несчастные, одинокие и потерянные. Если в начале мне хотелось обнять этих ...more
Anne
Overraskende bra!
Jeg ble overrasket fordi anmeldere og kulturpersonligheter av stor og liten tapning har gjort så mye av seg i media og vært så utrolig negative.

Dette er ingen dårlig eller halvdårlig bok, selv om enkelte kritikere (kritiker i vid forstand) gjerne vil at den skal være det.
Jeanette Sky i Morgenbladet hengte seg opp i en av hovedpersonenes samling av glassfigurer, og spesielt i at han har en enhjørning og at denne knuses. Glassmenasjeriet av Tennessee Williams er jo bare så mye bed
Kine Torstensen
Very slow, but not in a bad way. It is a book focused on character development and Anne B. Ragde does such a good job at creating unique characters. There wasn't any of the five character's point of view I didn't enjoy reading. They all had their own, very different story. I got to know every one of them, and it was like I was there "celebrating" Christmas with them. It is a book about family and grief. I also felt a lot of warmth - probably a weird description, but like I was at home in a way.
Stein Erik
Berliner Poplene er en spennende bok. Man leser om en familie som samles etter moren til Tor, Margido og Erlend ligger for døden. Familien man følger heter Neshov. Og Tor som er den eldste driver gården til familien. Man blir også kjent med Torunn som er datteren til Tor.

Hun blir bokstaveligtalt dratt inn i situasjonen, hvor hun møter familiemedlemmer for første gang etter 37 år. Torunn kommer fra Oslo og har ingen erfaring fra å jobbe på gård. Men hun er utdannet veterinær og driver dressurkur
Tanja Berg
This might not be a 5* book for everyone, but it was for me and that in itself is not a common occurence. It was like coming home. Like hearing a familiar, beloved song. Part of the reason would be that I am country girl at heart, both sets grand parents were farmers. Another that Norway is my "chosen" country and I am well adapted. That the story was set outside of Trondheim with descriptions of fjords and the landscape in general was a bonus.

The biggest surprise were the people who populated
Nova
Eighty year old Anna is rushed to hospital after suffering a stroke. Her 3 sons have not spoken in some time and are leading very different lives. However the trio reluctantly reunite at the family farm over Christmas and so the scene is set for the discussion of inheritance and the revelation of some bizarre and devastating truths. Very interesting family dynamics makes for a good read.
Eka Maka
Ну конечно Кесарю кесарево... А мне книга понравилась, слог (спасибо переводчикам), сюжет, атмосфера. Меня все это увлекло, книгу прочитала за один вечер. Депрессняк меня не посетил, скорее меня накроет от "Элегантности ежика", вот уж точно тягомотина. Нет ну правда, книга очень интересная. Прочтя ее я немного оторвалась от груди русской литературы и отложила в сторону русский менталитет и душу "загадку". Поэтому тут не рецензия, а реверансы автору и немного положительных эмоций. В общем - спаси ...more
☯Bettie☯
GrangerDanger
This book almost ended up on the "unfinished-because-ugh" shelve. It didn't, for the sole reason that my mom got it for me and I wanted to see what she liked about it.

This book also almost got 4 stars, because the ending tricked me into thinking I liked it. The ending, aka the last 10 pages at most, was good. The rest was kind of a drag, especially the first half of the book. 2 of the 4 characters BORE ME TO SLEEP. I do not give a flying fuck about pigs and how to take care of them. I understand
Annett
Die herrlich skurrile Geschichte der weit versprengten Familie Neshov, die sich - obwohl seit Jahren auseinandergelebt - bei Krankheit und Tod der Mutter zusammenraufen muss. Neben dem immer noch auf dem heimischen Hof lebenden Sohn, der sich nun vor allem um seine Schweinezucht kümmert, existieren zwei weitere Brüder. Der eine ist Bestatter in seinem Heimatort und muss sich auch mit der Beerdigung seiner Mutter auseinandersetzen. Der andere ist nach Kopenhagen ausgewandert, wo er in Saus und Br ...more
Biggi
Der Klappentext und reviews hier auf goodreads haben mich zu diesem Buch verführt.
Dass es sich um eine Familiensage handelt, war mir von Anfang an klar und auch, dass Familiensagen eher selten mit fingernägel-knabbernder Spannung aufwarten. Dennoch hatte ich mir ein wenig mehr versprochen.
Der verachtete Vater, der - wie es auf dem klappentext und in der Buchbeschreibung auf Seite 3 heißt - endlich reinen Tisch machen will und nach dem Tod der Mutter seinen erwachsenen und mehr als unterschiedlic
Alena
I got this from a friend after I told her I wanted to read something quiet after all the violent books I've read lately.

While certainly a quiet book in which not a lot happens, it certainly isn't the light-hearted family story I expected either.

It starts off with the suicide of a (possibly) gay teen, so yeah, setting of depressing tone: accomplished.

It's the story of 3 brothers and their family, coming together for the first time in many years after the mother falls ill and dies. One of them is
Tania
quotes#675167 Berlin Poplars

He worked with a kind of warm and extended happiness within him. A happiness that occasionally made him catch his breath and pumped small jabs of adrenalin into his diaphragm. p40
[cliche but still good to remember]

The doctor had given the mother a sedative; the father didn't want one. It was a classic case; men tried to manage without, keep their heads clear, not break down or lose control. Instead, he paced the kitchen floor with his hands behind his back. Margido di
Katia
Le roman s'ouvre in medias res sur le suicide de Yngve, un petit garçon. Ses parents appellent alors Margido Neshov qui a une entreprise de pompe funèbres. On découvre donc cet homme et un peu les parents Kotum. Ce qui m'a troublé c'est que la suite nous fait découvrir Erlend, un concepteur de vitrines. Difficile de comprendre comment tout cela va s'emboîter pour faire avancer l'histoire, la première partie nous fait découvrir des personnages différents et en conséquence je n'ai pas compris tout ...more
Maya
Странна и шантава, "Берлинските тополи" не е от книгите, които бих препрочела. Въпреки качествата си, ми вървеше много мудно, а общото ми впечатление е за подтискащо и мрачно четиво. Ако дори частично героите на Анне Рагде са типични за част от норвежците, никак не съм сигурна, че бих искала да ги познавам лично.

Плюсовете са стилът, образният език и завидното умение на авторката да изгражда характери. Пък и определено вече знам много повече за отглеждането на свине от преди.
Tic15
4.5/5.
It's a "slow" book. There are a lot of details, not a lot happens, but it's not boring.
I personally really liked Erlend. It's probably my favorite character. The characters are all pretty different and have unique personalities.
You're definitely gonna want to read the second book in the Neshov Family series. However, I don't think it has been translated to other languages, so that's disappointing.
Overall, I think it was a good book, worth reading and buying.
Ina
So ist das Leben in Norwegen - allgegenwärtige Kontraste zwischen Tradition und Moderne, den althergebrachten Lebensweisen der älteren und den "alternativen" der jüngeren Generation, versteckte Konflikte und Geheimnisse in der Familie, das Miteinander und doch Nebeneinanderleben, und doch Familienbande die alles zusammenhalten. Eine gelungene Geschichte über die "durchschnittliche" Familie, die sich als doch nicht so durchschnittlich entpuppt. Der Schauplatz trägt ein übriges zur Stimmung bei - ...more
Jean-paul Audouy
Wonderful book. Now I know the region of Trondheim better than Reunion island! I thought it would all be gloom and doom but not at all. Lots of funny bits especially when Erlend is involved, the Gay brother who escaped to Copenhagen and is forced back to the muddy farm by his mother's death. Can't wait to read the next two volumes, which unfortunately, have not been translated in English yet so it will be in a French since my mastering of the Norwegian language is rudimentary at best...
Esme
Die Trilogie um die Familie Neshov ("Lügenhaus" – "Einsiedlerkrebse" – "Hitzewelle") gehört zu den großartigsten und berührendsten Büchern, die ich gelesen habe.

Und es passiert gar nicht viel. Denn wer hätte gedacht, dass das Leben eines Schweinezüchters, eines Bestattungsunternehmers und eines homosexuellen Schaufensterdekorateurs aufregend ist? Eben.

So viel Leid, ungelebtes Leben, Traurigkeit und Ungesagtes. Warmherzig, humorvoll und zärtlich schreibt Anne B. Ragde über die Familie, ihre Nöte,
Amanda
(Läste den här boken på svenska - Berlinerpopplarna)

Gillar hela serien och såklart är den första speciell när man för första gången kommer i kontakt med bröderna. Den danske brodern är min absoluta favorit och jag saknar honom och hans Krumme fortfarande.
Lykke Olsen
En grotesk familiefortælling om den fatale indflydelse, som få menneskers egotiske valg har for kommende generationer, ikke mindst hvis man ikke tør ansvaret for valgene i sit eget liv men i stedet lade andre styre det for en...
Lisbeth Rasmussen
Fantastiske personportrætter og en fortælling om menneskeskæbner, der blev hængende, når jeg slap bogen. Overraskende udvikling i plottet, hvor man undervejs aner tingenes sammenhæng, men den afsløres først rigtigt til sidst.
Katri
Ehdinpäs!

Kirja, josta sekä tykkäsin, että en tykännyt. Kirjan hitaan alun vuoksi meinasi jopa jäädä kesken, mutta loppua kohden parani sen verran, että jopa tykästyin. Kirja, joka inhotti ja ihastutti. Voisin harkita lukevani jatko-osatkin. Joskaan en nyt ihan heti.
  • Mannen som elsket Yngve
  • The Half Brother
  • Kongemordet (Kronprinsessen, #2)
  • Mengele Zoo
  • Dina's Book
  • Innsirkling
  • The Conqueror
  • Karitas uden titel
  • Drømmefangeren (Cato Isaksen #2)
  • Seierherrene
  • The Christmas Oratorio
  • Elling (Elling, #3)
  • Sweetness
  • Broken Paradise
  • Jonas
Norwegian author Anne B. Ragde (b 1957) made her literary debut in 1986 with the children’s book HALLO! HER ER JO! Since then, she has written several books for children and young adults, among them a biography about Sigrid Undset, for which she was awarded the Brage Prize. Her first novel for adults, EN TIGER FOR EN ENGEL was published in 1990. She has since written several novels, crime novels a ...more
More about Anne B. Ragde...

Neshov Family (3 books)
  • Eremittkrepsene
  • Ligge i grønne enger (Familien Neshov, #3)
Eremittkrepsene Ligge i grønne enger (Familien Neshov, #3) Arsenikktårnet Jeg skal gjøre deg så lykkelig Nattønsket