Start by marking “Whirl (Ondine Quartet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Whirl (Ondine Quartet, #1)

Whirl (Ondine Quartet #1)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  2,885 Ratings  ·  210 Reviews
Outspoken and independent, Kendra Irisavie has always played by her own rules.

She's an ondine, a water elemental gifted with the powerful magic of Empath Virtue and trained to be a fighter. Pursued by Aquidae demons, she and her mother remain Rogue, hiding among humans to avoid becoming casualties in an ancient war.

Everything changes when violence erupts on Kendra's sevent
Published September 15th 2011 by Mandorla Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Whirl, please sign up.

Khanh (the meanie)

Welcome to St. Vladimir's Academy. Or rather...
"Welcome to Lumiére Academy. Your school."
For fuck's sakes, the book doesn't even spell Lumière with the correct accent mark (4 years of French, bitches!).

A 17 year old girl is living on the run; she is on the move every few months, she cannot risk staying in the same place for long. Suddenly, a handsome, mysterious, dark-haired ass-kicking stranger shows up to carry her back to a secret school for mythological creatures of her race, to the herita
Arlene
Jan 26, 2012 Arlene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Booker Pick
I’m admitting upfront that I experienced quite a bit of déjà who… what… where have I read this before, which is why I had to remove a few stars for lack of originality. There was a good dose of constant action, but the plot and story-building have been done more than once in the last couple of years.

There were a few books that came to mind while I was reading Whirl, including Vampire Academy, Half-Blood, and I don’t think I’m stretching too far when I add I am Number Four to the list.

In Whirl,
katnissbraid.
Jul 20, 2012 katnissbraid. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-on-diavs
EDIT 22/07/2012.
review. http://katnissbraid.blogspot.it/2012/...

OH. MY. MY.
I DON'T REMEMBER HOW DID I BUY THIS BOOK, OR EVEN WHY.
but god, this is good. so good.
yep, there are some things that i've already read in Vampire Academy, Half Blood or even Obsidian but those, guys, are three of my favourite books so i loved Whirl. a lot.

Kendra is a badass. A cinical, sexy badass. And she's my kind of character. Ironical, strong and badass. I'm in love with her.
Chloe and Aubrey are so sweet, the ki
Booknut
A thrilling example of YA at its best, Whirl is an electric mix of J Armentrout's Covenant series and Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy books. Emma Raveling spins a tale full of dark mystery, intense fighting, adventure, love and perfectly executed humour that will make you fall hook, line and sinker for this series and its feisty heroine Kendra Irisavie.

Natalia
Vampire Academy, anyone?

description

Where do I even begin? I started this book without reading any reviews or even the blurb (yeah, I'm that reckless), just saw the high rating and decided to jump in on a whim.
And it would have been a good story, except that this turned out to be a twin of Vampire Academy, and all the similarities really pissed me off. You see, that is the exact reason I refused to read the Half-Blood series, I hate rip-offs. If I'm a fan of VA, it doesn't mean I want to read the same story
Revati Ragini
PAGE 131 - 54%

Hmmm.... Vampire Academy revisited? We've got (ROSE) the previously rogue bad-ass promiscuous girl who's not as good at fighting as she wants to be and struggles with 'inner darkness', Roses mum who is all business and no affection, a school only for this particular race where half learn to fight, the other half learn to use elemental magic but aren't allowed to defend themselves, the politics of it all, the stupid royalty, the couldnt-be-dumber upper class, the evil race only afte
Marie
I LOVED this book. Like I have a major crush on it.. And Tristan, Julian and well Ryder.

This was book was very different and original, fast paced and interesting. It kept me intrigued and glued to each page.

Ryder just broke my heart. I loved him so much and what he did at the end completely shocked me. But he's as so brave and part of me was glad tos ee him at peace. I knew that Kendra wouldn't have picked him to be anything more than friends and I know that Ryder could never tyro be happy and
Calia
Jan 01, 2012 Calia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know, I know. I’ve exclaimed once before in a review that I was on strike from all paranormal books.

The saying, “Read one, read all.” Is that a saying? I don’t know. Maybe I just made that up... Was really starting to make headway in my mind with a lot of these paranormal books.

But I’m glad that I conceded defeat and read this book. Relief is more like it! I would have been a tornado of anger, if I discovered this later on in the year.....

And for the price of .99 cents you’re getting one kic
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
I first heard about Whirl when the author approached us for a review. At the time I was completely booked up so Melanie; the guest reviewer reviewed it for me. She loved it and has been telling me for months to read it and you know what? She was 100% right!

Whirl is a very unique story. It centre's around water element's and girl named Kendra. Kendra is a strong and independent girl, who has been trained to fight Aquidae; demons, by her mother. When her mother is murdered, Kendra finds herself a
Aislynn
I love when I pick up a book and it totally blows me away - and this was definitely one of those books. Emma Raveling has written an incredible start to her Ondine series. I can't wait for the second one to be released to see what happens to Kendra and her friends.

Kendra is an independent, outspoken, fierce warrior who isn't suppose to be a warrior. For centuries the Ondine (the Water Elementals) have been a peaceful group. Protected by Gardinals, Demillars and Chevaliers from soulless demons ca
Bailee
Oct 31, 2011 Bailee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Bailee by: LibraryThing
After processing through my different thoughts on Whirl by Emma Raveling, I decided to repost my review with greater detail to what I liked and disliked.

I actually went into this without any idea of what this story was about other than it was about the Ondine, a creature that in my mind seemed to be connected to mermaids. It was after reading that I realized that the Ondine and their world was so much more than just another tale about a mermaid.

This debut novel by Emma Raveling is an addicting
Georgia Bell
So let's give this a whirl (yuk yuk yuk).

What I liked: Decent world building and a female protagonist (Kendra) that was tough and intelligent. I liked the male romantic interest too (Although, a seal? Really, a seal?), and thought they had good, if sporadic, chemistry. I also liked the kind of bat-shit crazy magic mentor and the network of women that Kendra could call on for support. Some demerit points for the whole 2D mean girl thing. It felt like filler.

What I had trouble with: Keeping the
Sunnyangel
Before I started reading this book, I heard from many people that it was similar to Vampire Academy. But OH MY GOODNESS, it can't be said that this book is similar. It's basically the same book, just change a couple of character names and add a Selkie prince. Speaking of the Selkie Prince, Tristan Belikov, oh oops I meant Tristan Belicoux. I mean REALLY?
So let's start with when we were introduced to the said, Selkie Prince. She stood with her back to me, facing a tall dark-haired man. It was ha
Tina
Nov 04, 2011 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I received the book I hesitated over reading it because one, it's part of a series, and two, I was really anticipating the story. When I finished the book today, there were two things I felt: sadness and disappointment. When I reached the final page I refused to believe it was the end already. I was sad and disappointed because it ended right when it started getting really good; it hit me like I had accidentally rode my bike into a pole while having so much fun taking in the passing scener ...more
Michelle Sanchez
Dec 08, 2011 Michelle Sanchez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It's been a long time since I've read a book in one night. "Whirl" has that pull that makes you want to turn the page to find out what happens next. Don't go by the description-- read a sample and you'll see what I mean.
I can't wait for the next book! Tristan pissed me off but I understand why he did what he did. I just hope I see him in book 2!

Thank you Mrs. Raveling for giving us this world. Loved it!
Teresa
Nov 14, 2015 Teresa rated it really liked it
Very Good

Very much enjoyed it. I think it dragged go a good part of the book. A little more action and romance would have been better. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Steph Bennett
Ugh, is it just me or does it feel like I've read this before?
Oh wait, I have.
It's called VAMPIRE ACADEMY BY RICHELLE MEADE.

description
Leah
Dec 31, 2011 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, ya-series
Loved, loved, loved it! Such an original concept and world-building, and amazing characters that I've completely fallen in love with. Kendra's story is so great and now I'm dying for the next book!
Lara
Nov 29, 2011 Lara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really, really loved this book - great start to a new series. Great pacing, action and loved the characters and world. Can't wait to read the next one!
Jennypara
I really liked the story! I could easily give it five stars but I want to see how the plot will unfold in the second book.
Aeicha
Sep 17, 2011 Aeicha rated it it was amazing
Whirl has one of the most intriguing synopses that I’ve read in a long while, but they way the synopsis grabbed my attention cannot even begin to compare to how gripping I found the book itself. Emma Raveling’s debut novel Whirl is a captivating, imaginative, enchanting, enticing, fast paced page turner.

Seventeen year old Kendra’s life changes forever the night her mother dies. Kendra is an ondine, a powerful water elemental, who, along with her mother, has lived away from the ondine community a
Evelyn Amaro
Dec 07, 2011 Evelyn Amaro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read my full review on Paromantasy

This book in one sentence: A sensational thriller filled with suspense, danger, romance and mystery with a bad-ass heroine, some seriously romantic possibilities, a bunch of friends that I want to adopt and non-stop action from beginning til end. That is one long sentence but I had to get all of that in there..lol. What I am trying to say is that this book is an absolute MUST READ!!

Kendra is an Ondine (a water elemental) raised in the human world but after the u
Nicole
I’d seen this series floating around GR for ages but never gave it a second glance because, seriously? Ondines? Not the coolest paranormals around. Every time I read about one, they come across as either crazy (The Iron King; Chicagoland Vampires) or just plain evil (Premonition series).

Confession: I only picked this up because of its apparent similarities to the VA and Covenant series.

Another confession: I would have put this book down after I depleted the bite-sized Amazon sample if I hadn’t
Jasmine
Sep 09, 2014 Jasmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, I have to say that I loved this book, plain and simple. I downloaded it on a whim while perusing on Amazon and I couldn't be any more grateful to impulse-buying Jasmine. The characters are well-developed, the world a wonderful mix of our reality and the great mythos that Raveling has created with Ondines, Selkies, and humans, and the plot well paced and interesting. I remember finishing it late at night and being so sad that the sequel was planned for far in the future.

The things that
Naomi
Oct 20, 2011 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whirl is the first book, and debut, in the Ondine Quartet series by Emma Raveling and what a debut it is.

At the beginning I was a bit confused by all the customized terms that Raveling had used but once I read more into the story I totally became ensnared by the thrill of Julian, the taboo of Tristan, the boyish charms of Ryder and the unconditional love that comes from friendship with Chloe and Aubrey, that I soon got lost in their world. The main heroine herself, Kendra is everything that you
Tara
Review:

I started off thinking I wasn’t going to be too impressed with this. It jumps rght into the story, the main character knows what she is and accepts that she knows very little of her own culture. However, I was completely lost. I felt like I needed more background, and was worried I’d continue to feel lost throughout the book. Thankfully, this wasn’t the case.

Ondines are water elementals, and are at war with the Aquidae, who are essentially demons. Helping to protect the Ondines are the S
Mischa
Nov 29, 2011 Mischa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry but I couldn't even bring myself to finish this book (yes, it was THAT bad), thus I'm not writing a review on this one, either.
I'd just like to name the reasons why I didn't finish:

1. Kendra. - I don't even recall reading about more stupid character than she was.
I mean, there's bunch of guys trying to kill you and of course the thing you do is to leave safe haven and go partying with friends.
People at school are, after this little incident where the guys attacked you while partying (w
Katie
Sep 30, 2011 Katie rated it it was amazing
I am very glad that this will be a 4 book series. The first book in the series introduces us to Kendra. Kendra is a 17 year old ondine, a descendent from Dessondines, water creatures.

Kendra was living in the human world, when things go wrong, she is taken to the ondine community of Harverleau, where she can learn to harness her abilities and her destiny. Kendra is accustomed to starting a new school, as she had to move around a lot, so this one was no different. With all schools there is a hiera
Lindsay
Nov 12, 2014 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third time I have read the book, and I am rereading getting ready for Breaker, and also wanted to experience Readerfest.

This time I noticed a lot more about the Ondine world in general and it's dynamics. I noticed a lot of complaints of not understanding it, but I think if you actually paid attention to the details, you would get the story of the Ondine people, because it is in there. It explains more in the second book, Billow. It is a series so they tend to give you more as you go
  • Break Away (Away, #1)
  • Blood Warrior (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #1)
  • Dark Veil (Belonging, #1)
  • The Binding (The Velesi Trilogy, #1)
  • Demons in Disguise (Divinicus Nex Chronicles, #3)
  • Tempus (Tempus, #1)
  • Paranormal Public (Paranormal Public, #1)
  • Madly (Madly, #1)
  • Hopeless Magic (Star-Crossed, #2)
  • Borrowed Ember (Fire Spirits, #3)
  • Time Mends (Timber Wolves Trilogy, #2)
  • Blood Fever (The Watchers, #3)
  • Wasteland (Wasteland, #1)
  • Elfin (The Elfin, #1)
  • Indulge (Warm Delicacy, #2)
  • Altered (Setenid Blight #1)
Emma Raveling resides in Honolulu with her husband and German shepherd.
More about Emma Raveling...

Ondine Quartet (4 books)
  • Billow (Ondine Quartet, #2)
  • Crest (Ondine Quartet, #3)
  • Breaker (Ondine Quartet, #4)

“Emotions are powerful sources of energy. They are what makes us alive. They provide proof of our souls.” 16 likes
“I resented the reference to my super ninja moves as "sneaking around." "Displaying superior stealth" or "using viper-like reflexes" would have been much better” 7 likes