Start by marking “Waiting: A Nonbeliever's Higher Power” as Want to Read:
Waiting: A Nonbeliever's Higher Power

Waiting: A Nonbeliever's Higher Power

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  12 reviews
For those who don't believe in God, feel disconnected from the ideas of God presented in organized religion, or are simply struggling to determine their own spiritual path, Marya Hornbacher, author of the New York Times best sellers Madness and Wasted, offers a down-to-earth exploration of the concept of faith.

Many of us have been trained to think of spirituality as the so
Published April 21st 2011 by Hazelden

To ask other readers questions about Waiting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waiting

Horbacher reveals herself as a philosopher within these finely written pages. As an atheist myself, I've often wondered about how to find some sort of satisfying spirituality even with the absence of a god. Waiting helped me put into words some of the things I'd been feeling.

Though I am not familiar with AA or in need of its services, Waiting made the introduction for me in a friendly, straight-forward manner. For anyone who is a part of AA, Waiting would be a great book to take a look at.
Jan Pliler
One of the most profoundly written books I've read containing pure truth. It is scripture like in its message to humanity. It will be purchased and find a permanent home in my library of resources to go to in time of need. This woman's turmoil with addiction and other experiences in her life has fortunately resulted in an understanding of our responsibility as human beings in proximity to the world we live.

Her experience and message, in my opinion, is a gift from God to the nonbeliever and beli
Mary Johnson
Marya Hornbacher has found words for things I thought but didn't know how to say. Her interpretation of the powerful 12 Steps of AA challenges and encourages nonbelievers to approach the steps in a way in which they can be comfortable. I would have preferred a few more details about Hornbacher's own journey, but am grateful for the insight she shares so unstintingly and with such a ring of honesty.
A really interesting look into spirituality for atheists. Written for alcoholics, I think this book is relevant for those without substance abuse issues who are interested in the idea of a godless spirituality.
Adam Wahlberg
Marya's brain on a big topic -- what bigger topic is there than God? -- and it still ain't a fair fight.
This is a technically well-written book, but I found it a chore to get through. It seemed to lack in narrative voice (a primary strength of Hornbachers other three nonfiction books). There was also a vagueness that caused me to keep drifting off into other thoughts as I read ("To whom should we be of service? Anyone. The world's need is very great. How? In any way we can."). So really, reading this book was sort of like meditation. My mind would wander and I had to tell myself to keep coming bac ...more
I picked this up in an effort to combat the AA's Big Book's over-religiosity and general poor writing. It is a very dense book. I enjoyed Hornbacher's introductions to each chapter - for example, when she talks about a friend who writes her from the desert trying to lure her out there and begin recovery - more than the bulk of each chapter in which she discusses each Step. I found a lot here to mull over and for such a small book, it is packed.

I had an AA friend said that he didn't like the book
To say this book is life-changing is the absolute truth. I felt like she wrote this TO me; I identified with everything she wrote about and observed. Marya has an amazing mindfulness with what she's experiencing and feeling that is very impressive. This is the kind of reading experience I will most likely never duplicate! I've never been compelled to meet an author but this time I am. I want to let her know what an impact this book has had on my life :)
Elizabeth Martin
I'm not sure if I'll finish this or not -- when I read it was about an atheist's take on AA, I didn't expect it to feel quite so New Age-y spiritual. Hornbacher is a weak or negative atheist, who would probably feel more comfortable with the term "agnostic" -- at least as that term has been appropriated by non-philosophers. I'll give it another go tomorrow before I make a final decision.
a good read. it's very personal, not analytical. I like the writing style. she has a point of view that although doesn't come across as authoritative, is credible and enriching. I prefer the "my experience has been ... " books over "this is how it should be ... " books and Waiting is a 21st century sounding discussion about recovery, both heartfelt and practical.
This book contains 12 chapters that coincide with the 12 months and 12 Steps. An excellent book on spiritual development and mediation for the atheist, agnostic, and believer alike (with a touch of memoir and beautiful language). I will definitely return to this one!
It's difficult for anything regarding religion, atheist, or spirituality to capture my attention. Of course Marya Hornbacher would be the one to do it?
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Lauren Dodd
Lauren Dodd marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Holly added it
Nov 10, 2015
Cydney Erin
Cydney Erin marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Apex157x marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Tracey Schneider
Tracey Schneider marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Stephanie Lynn
Stephanie Lynn is currently reading it
Oct 31, 2015
Lee marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Francesca Indi
Francesca Indi marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Vance marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Polly marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Rebecca McKanna
Rebecca McKanna marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Naomi Cantley
Naomi Cantley marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
  • The 12-Step Buddhist: Enhance Recovery from Any Addiction
  • A Woman's Way through the Twelve Steps
  • The World of Caffeine: The Science and Culture of the World's Most Popular Drug
  • Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions
  • Life-Span Development
  • Cocaine's Son: A Memoir
  • Clubland: The Fabulous Rise and Murderous Fall of Club Culture
  • Nowhere Near Normal: A Memoir of OCD
Marya Hornbacher published her first book, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia (HarperCollins Publishers, Inc.), in 1998, when she was twenty-three. What started as a crazy idea suggested by a writer friend became the classic book that has been published in fourteen languages, is taught in universities and writing programs all over the world, and has, according to the thousands of letters Mar ...more
More about Marya Hornbacher...

“There are a lot of times the heart burrows deeper, goes tunnelling into itself for reasons only the heart itself seems to know.They are times of isolation, of hibernation, sometimes of desolation. There is a bareness that spreads out over the interior landscape of the self, a bareness like tundra, with no sign of life in any direction, no sign of anything beneath the frozen crust of ground, no sign that spring ever intends to come again.” 6 likes
“At the lip of a cliff, I look out over Lake Superior, through the bare branches of birches and the snow-covered branches of aspens and pines. A hard wind blows snow up out of a cavern and over my face. I know this place, I know its seasons - I have hiked these mountains in the summer and walked these winding pathways in the explosion of colour that is a northern fall. And now, the temperature drops well below zero and the deadly cold lake rages below, I feel the stirrings of faith that here, in this place, in my heart, spring will come again.
But first the winter must be waited out. And that waiting has worth.”