Start by marking “Waiting: A Nonbeliever's Higher Power” as Want to Read:
Waiting: A Nonbeliever's Higher Power

Waiting: A Nonbeliever's Higher Power

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  11 reviews
For those who don't believe in God, feel disconnected from the ideas of God presented in organized religion, or are simply struggling to determine their own spiritual path, Marya Hornbacher, author of the New York Times best sellers Madness and Wasted, offers a down-to-earth exploration of the concept of faith. Many of us have been trained to think of spirituality as the s ...more
Published April 21st 2011 by Hazelden

To ask other readers questions about Waiting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waiting

Horbacher reveals herself as a philosopher within these finely written pages. As an atheist myself, I've often wondered about how to find some sort of satisfying spirituality even with the absence of a god. Waiting helped me put into words some of the things I'd been feeling.

Though I am not familiar with AA or in need of its services, Waiting made the introduction for me in a friendly, straight-forward manner. For anyone who is a part of AA, Waiting would be a great book to take a look at.
Jan Pliler
One of the most profoundly written books I've read containing pure truth. It is scripture like in its message to humanity. It will be purchased and find a permanent home in my library of resources to go to in time of need. This woman's turmoil with addiction and other experiences in her life has fortunately resulted in an understanding of our responsibility as human beings in proximity to the world we live.

Her experience and message, in my opinion, is a gift from God to the nonbeliever and beli
Mary Johnson
Marya Hornbacher has found words for things I thought but didn't know how to say. Her interpretation of the powerful 12 Steps of AA challenges and encourages nonbelievers to approach the steps in a way in which they can be comfortable. I would have preferred a few more details about Hornbacher's own journey, but am grateful for the insight she shares so unstintingly and with such a ring of honesty.
Adam Wahlberg
Marya's brain on a big topic -- what bigger topic is there than God? -- and it still ain't a fair fight.
Kathrynn
reasonable. helpful in dealing with the cult-like dogma of NA/AA. well-written.
J.P.
I picked this up in an effort to combat the AA's Big Book's over-religiosity and general poor writing. It is a very dense book. I enjoyed Hornbacher's introductions to each chapter - for example, when she talks about a friend who writes her from the desert trying to lure her out there and begin recovery - more than the bulk of each chapter in which she discusses each Step. I found a lot here to mull over and for such a small book, it is packed.

I had an AA friend said that he didn't like the book
Gregg
To say this book is life-changing is the absolute truth. I felt like she wrote this TO me; I identified with everything she wrote about and observed. Marya has an amazing mindfulness with what she's experiencing and feeling that is very impressive. This is the kind of reading experience I will most likely never duplicate! I've never been compelled to meet an author but this time I am. I want to let her know what an impact this book has had on my life :)
Elizabeth Martin
I'm not sure if I'll finish this or not -- when I read it was about an atheist's take on AA, I didn't expect it to feel quite so New Age-y spiritual. Hornbacher is a weak or negative atheist, who would probably feel more comfortable with the term "agnostic" -- at least as that term has been appropriated by non-philosophers. I'll give it another go tomorrow before I make a final decision.
Joe
a good read. it's very personal, not analytical. I like the writing style. she has a point of view that although doesn't come across as authoritative, is credible and enriching. I prefer the "my experience has been ... " books over "this is how it should be ... " books and Waiting is a 21st century sounding discussion about recovery, both heartfelt and practical.
Colin
This book contains 12 chapters that coincide with the 12 months and 12 Steps. An excellent book on spiritual development and mediation for the atheist, agnostic, and believer alike (with a touch of memoir and beautiful language). I will definitely return to this one!
Meagan
It's difficult for anything regarding religion, atheist, or spirituality to capture my attention. Of course Marya Hornbacher would be the one to do it?
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
E.v. Sage
E.v. Sage marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Quincyola
Quincyola marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Linda Ann
Linda Ann marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
vivicadabra
vivicadabra marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Cinthia
Cinthia marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Becky Fox
Becky Fox marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Maryann
Maryann marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Maree Sheeran
Maree Sheeran marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Daniel Pi
Daniel Pi marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
  • The 12-Step Buddhist: Enhance Recovery from Any Addiction
  • Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions
  • Nice Recovery
  • The World of Caffeine: The Science and Culture of the World's Most Popular Drug
  • Buzz: The Science and Lore of Alcohol and Caffeine
  • Lying in Weight: The Hidden Epidemic of Eating Disorders in Adult Women
  • The Merry Recluse: A Life in Essays
  • Unwasted: My Lush Sobriety
  • Nowhere Near Normal: A Memoir of OCD
  • Lesbian Crushes and Bulimia: A Diary on How I Acquired my Eating Disorder
  • Living Sober
  • Clubland: The Fabulous Rise and Murderous Fall of Club Culture
  • Memoirs of an Addicted Brain: A Neuroscientist Examines his Former Life on Drugs
  • The Beast: A Journey Through Depression
  • Born Believers: The Science of Children's Religious Belief
  • Wet Work
  • Gaining: The Truth About Life After Eating Disorders
  • Yoga for Anxiety: Meditations and Practices for Calming the Body and Mind
Marya Hornbacher published her first book, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia (HarperCollins Publishers, Inc.), in 1998, when she was twenty-three. What started as a crazy idea suggested by a writer friend became the classic book that has been published in fourteen languages, is taught in universities and writing programs all over the world, and has, according to the thousands of letters Mar ...more
More about Marya Hornbacher...
Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia Madness: A Bipolar Life The Center of Winter Sane: Mental Illness, Addiction, and the 12 Steps Dødelig ideal

“At the lip of a cliff, I look out over Lake Superior, through the bare branches of birches and the snow-covered branches of aspens and pines. A hard wind blows snow up out of a cavern and over my face. I know this place, I know its seasons - I have hiked these mountains in the summer and walked these winding pathways in the explosion of colour that is a northern fall. And now, the temperature drops well below zero and the deadly cold lake rages below, I feel the stirrings of faith that here, in this place, in my heart, spring will come again.
But first the winter must be waited out. And that waiting has worth.”
5 likes
“There are a lot of times the heart burrows deeper, goes tunnelling into itself for reasons only the heart itself seems to know.They are times of isolation, of hibernation, sometimes of desolation. There is a bareness that spreads out over the interior landscape of the self, a bareness like tundra, with no sign of life in any direction, no sign of anything beneath the frozen crust of ground, no sign that spring ever intends to come again.” 4 likes