Start by marking “Zen Meditation in Plain English” as Want to Read:
Zen Meditation in Plain English

Zen Meditation in Plain English

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  18 reviews
An excellent, practical introduction to Zen meditation. Written in a warm and easily accessible style, this book appeals to anyone with an interest in meditation, Zen, or, as is often the case today, a combination of the two. The book emphasizes the importance of receiving good instruction and of finding groups to practice with, yet it lays out the necessary steps to pract ...more
Published June 10th 2005 by Wisdom Publications (first published April 25th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Zen Meditation in Plain English, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zen Meditation in Plain English

Shane
A good simple introduction to meditation as practiced by many Zen adherents. Very briefly touches on the Buddhist roots and then goes through precise instructions for meditating/sitting in the various traditional poses as well as using a common chair. Finally has a chapter on community and why you probably might want to get involved in one.
Does exactly what it claims to do.
Ami
A decent intro book, with concrete instructions, and it was interesting to see how Zen tradition is different from Vipassana.
Brian
I picked this book up hoping it would be a good introduction to meditation. People are always curious, so it's good to have a direction to point them in. This book is not it. It spends far too much time discussing posture, the writing style is pretentious and kind of infantile at the same time. Only one small chapter of the book actually talks about the specifics of meditation, and mostly it admonishes students to find a teacher (which is important).

So far, Mindfulness in Plain English is the be
Laurie
This book wasn't exactly what I thought it would be. Based on the reviews I was envisioning something more about the philosophy of Zen. In reality, while there is some philosophy scattered throughout the book, it is a meditation handbook. It is a very practical guidebook, but frankly it's a little dry. The most interesting portion of the book for me was actually the Appendix, where they discuss FAQs about zazen.
Donna
A short easily read book given to me by my boss before I had some serious surgery. It is a great "how to" book in plain language without getting into the philosophical/religious aspects of Zen. Having read it, I could probably get there some day but my efforts at this point result in about 3 seconds worth of mind emptying before the thoughts start flying again. It may be a practice worth working on.
Chris Cook
Forgettable. The best intro to meditation is to read "Mindfulness in Plain English" then work through the Mindfulness lectures from Great Courses. I found zen style meditation too difficult because I had trouble just accepting all the noise in the mind. The method in "Mindfulness in Plain English" teaches you how to work with the noise. Of course, this is my experience and everyone is different.
Greg Soden
Clear, fast, practically-oriented. Recommended for beginning meditation practice.
Diana
I thought this book gave a readable explanation of meditation and how to get started. There are a variety a sitting positions with pros and cons. This is a Zen slant to meditation. There are many other ways to meditate. This describes one of the many ways from a Zen persecutive that is readable.
Zweegas
Maybe this is not the best book on the topic, but it is the book that I read that taught me about meditation which has mostly been a good thing.
Steve
Rules, rules, rules....
Scott
I really enjoyed this and would recommend it to anyone interested in the practice of zen. written for beginners like me
Mazen Loujami
Very good introduction to Zen meditation. I recommend it for those who are interested in practicing zen.
Rob Pacheco
Good guide to practical zen meditation without much "woo-woo" spirituality hokum.
Luisa
This is a good basic guide to help someone get started with zen meditation.
Benjamin Obler
Has a very helpful section on posture in the sitting poses.
Manny Arocho
An easy to read book query informative.
Easy read and not boring!
E Taylor
Nov 13, 2011 E Taylor is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
stress reliever!!!!..lol
Imad Dahmani
Imad Dahmani marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Uday Dhulipala
Uday Dhulipala marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Ken French
Ken French marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Bob Desplinter
Bob Desplinter marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Monica Joseph
Monica Joseph marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Greg Hawod
Greg Hawod marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
  • Quiet Mind: A Beginner's Guide to Meditation
  • 8 Minute Meditation: Quiet Your Mind. Change Your Life
  • Shobogenzo: Zen Essays by Dogen
  • Not Always So: Practicing the True Spirit of Zen
  • Waking Up to What You Do: A Zen Practice for Meeting Every Situation with Intelligence and Compassion
  • Opening the Hand of Thought: Foundations of Zen Buddhist Practice
  • Taking the Path of Zen
  • Healing Into Life and Death
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • Living Dharma: Teachings of Twelve Buddhist Masters
  • Writings from the Zen Masters.
  • Reduced to Joy
  • Finding the Still Point: A Beginner's Guide to Zen Meditation
  • How to Love
  • Meditation and Its Practice
  • The Now Effect: How a Mindful Moment Can Change the Rest of Your Life
  • Secret of the Veda
  • Ten Breaths to Happiness: Touching Life in its Fullness
To forget the self: An illustrated guide to Zen meditation (The Zen writings series)

“Thinking is a very natural process, but we are so easily conditioned by our thinking and give too much value to it. Maezumi Roshi” 0 likes