Nightwatch: A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe

Nightwatch: A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  325 ratings  ·  26 reviews
"Revised Fourth Edition: updated for use through 2025."

The first three editions of NightWatch sold more than 600,000 copies, making it the top-selling stargazing guide in the world for the last 20 years. The key feature of this classic title is the section of star charts that are cherished by backyard astronomers everywhere. Each new edition has outsold the previous one be...more
Published September 12th 2006 by Firefly Books (first published March 1st 1983)

jer1ch0
May 27, 2007 jer1ch0 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Apologies for this brief and unprofessional review.
I bought this book as someone who is just starting out in astronomy. I found it to be an excellent read for someone like me. It explains everything from buying a telescope to the origin of the universe. It is bound in a ring binder style which makes it easy to use the many sky charts within. It has plenty of high quality full color photographs, courtesy of the Hubble space telescope.
There are many facts and figures in this book especially conce...more
Jeremiah Depta
As a self-proclaimed nerd, I love all things space-related. I was recently given an 8-inch Dobsonian Telescope as a gift, along with this book. Until now, my understanding of space and the night sky seemed to have little in common. Nightwatch did a beautiful job of bringing it all together for me. It also breaks down the mechanics of telescopes and provides you with the basic tools and knowledge that are required in astronomy in a way that is simple to understand and enjoyable. If it weren’t for...more
Adam Chawansky
I picked up this book for my trip to Africa in the hope that it would augment my appreciation and understanding of the night sky. To that it, Terence Dickinson really delivered. Starting with a description of the size and shape of the cosmos (and our humble place within it) and leading up to a tutorial on constellations and what to look for, this book has it all. There are also sections on the moon, planets, photography, and binocular/telescope advice. By the end of my trip I was able to explain...more
Michael Lawrence
Jul 09, 2008 Michael Lawrence rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Space nerds and Astronomy lovers
Recommended to Michael by: A fellow space nerd
Being an Astronomy Lover I own a fair share of sky-gazer books. Many of them obviously cover similar aspects of the viewable universe. This one I found to be very helpful at helping a typical night watcher identify what exactly he/she is looking at in the heavens.

A great book for just the amazing photographs of the universe but a much better book for an astronomy fan or even for someone who may need a little help getting motivated to start taking a peek at the AMAZING UNIVERSE that we are trave...more
Larry Cunningham
This is a superb introduction to all things astronomical. I recently purchased my first "serious" telescope, and I thought a refresher course in the basics of observational astronomy might be in order. I've done my share of reading about the subject over the years, so I knew the basic concepts. This book crystallized my thinking and helped to prepare me for more serious involvement with the hobby. Highly recommended for anyone getting started or needing more up to date information about astronom...more
Alleny
Jan 14, 2014 Alleny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: done
I used this book to look up what kind of telescope to buy. I read this book and it gave more information on what kind of telescope to buy than the internet did. This book tells you the advantages and disadvantages about each kind of telescope. The most recommended telescope in there was the Dobsonian. These telescopes can give you great views of the planets but can also look farther out like a galaxy. I would never had gotten a good telescope without this book.
David S. T.
I've been interested in Astronomy as long as I can remember, I always wanted to telescope but never got around to getting one. This year I finally broke down and bought a scope and this book. This book was pretty interesting as a beginners book, it covers some basic astronomy and information about some observable objects (like some nebula and the planets), getting a telescope and how to use some sky charts.
Tim Andersen
Sep 27, 2009 Tim Andersen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tim by: Fraser Cain
Shelves: astronomy
NightWatch is an excellent book that introduces the scales of distance and size in a way that is... well it is still incomprehensible, but the book is written very well. Lot of illustrations make this book fun to flip through as well as reading the chapters. There is a great chapter on telescopes and equipment. I highly recommend buying this book before you make a telescope purchase.
Michael Mangold
A beautiful book chock full of useful information for the budding astronomer. The problem here is that new media have overwhelmingly surpassed print for the amateur hobbyist. Online forums, space-focussed blogs, iPhone and iPad apps are more current, useful and interactive than print publishing, especially critical for scientific and technological hobbies.
Eric
This is one of the best, most practical books I could recommend for the budding or amateur astronomer's bookshelf! You will find yourself returning to this gem of a resource again and again.
LaLine
The best book to start with if you are interested in really star gazing. Lots of good tips and practical information on what's up in the sky above us. Written in a very readable style.
Cindi
Dec 20, 2011 Cindi marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-purchase
I'm thinking of having this be required reading for my older kids (they love it when I do that). We are about to join the astronomy club and I want them to have a good background first.
Donald
Dec 25, 2007 Donald rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007
I was given a telescope as a gift, but had no idea where to point it. This book really puts it all together for the novice. It makes you want to go out and look for stuff.
Nienna
The absolute best starting point for anyone wanting to know more about the universe and how to get the best start to viewing it.

George Eordanedes-Grammatekou
probably the ultimate guide to the cosmos....especially i loved the section with the 11 steps....prfect!
Kara
Great book. Excellent introduction to backyard astronomy and viewing the night sky. Moon & constellations.
Chris Mertes
This is the must-have book for amateur astronomers, or anyone who would like to develop a deeper appreciation of the wonders of the night sky.

I like this book to be displayed on my coffee table, and in this manner, I have had the opportunity to encourage friends and neighbors to learn more about astronomy. Open this book to any page and learn, or remember something interesting about astronomy.

Currently this book is on loan to a dear, old friend. I hope she returns it after she instills a curiosi...more
Bree
Notes:
great info on telescope/binocular purchasing
seasonal star charts
Amanda
The ultimate guide for beginner star gazers! It's my go to reference book!
Kevin Cox
Excellent! An essential beginner's guide to astronomy.
Lance Taylor
A great beginner book to the Night Sky! A must own book.
 Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ
absolutely the best book for amateur astronomers
P.
What can I say? World changing.
Chris Woods
Worth the 5 star rating for the sky maps and star charts alone. I checked this out from the library, needless to say I'll definitely be purchasing a copy.
Linda
May 27, 2014 Linda added it
would buy
Alantie
Alantie marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Frances C.
Frances C. marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
  • Universe: The Definitive Visual Guide
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to the Night Sky
  • Cosmos
  • A Field Guide to Stars and Planets (Peterson Field Guides)
  • A Field Guide to Western Birds: A Completely New Guide to Field Marks of All Species Found in North America West of the 100th Meridian and North of Mexico
  • Seeing in the Dark: How Amateur Astronomers Are Discovering the Wonders of the Universe
  • The Stars: A New Way to See Them
  • Rare Earth: Why Complex Life Is Uncommon in the Universe
  • Cosmic Connection: An Extraterrestrial Perspective
  • The Elements: A Visual Exploration of Every Known Atom in the Universe
  • The Night Country
  • An Introduction to Black Holes, Information and the String Theory Revolution: The Holographic Universe
  • Atom: An Odyssey from the Big Bang to Life on Earth...and Beyond
  • The Edge of Physics: A Journey to Earth's Extremes to Unlock the Secrets of the Universe
Terence Dickinson is a prolific science writer specializing in astronomy. More than one million copies of his 14 books are in print in five languages. His best-known book, NightWatch: A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe, is widely regarded as the essential guidebook for beginning stargazers. NightWatch, first published in 1983, now has over 600,000 copies in print, making it the top-selling...more
More about Terence Dickinson...
The Backyard Astronomer's Guide Hubble's Universe: Greatest Discoveries and Latest Images Exploring the Night Sky: The Equinox Astronomy Guide for Beginners The Universe and Beyond Exploring the Sky by Day: The Equinox Guide to Weather and the Atmosphere