Aftershock (H.I.V.E., #7)

Aftershock (H.I.V.E. #7)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  1,091 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Scheming, extorting, menacing and general evilness are nothing new in the world of villainy - indeed it's expected. But there are codes of conduct. Until now. In an attempt to purge the Global League of Villainous Enterprises of its more destructive elements, Dr Nero has underestimated the cunning and resources of those who oppose him.

Meanwhile, Otto and the rest of the Al...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Bloomsbury UK (first published January 1st 2011)

Fledgling by Mark A. CooperRevenge by Mark A. CooperAbsolutely Nothing by Mark A. CooperThe Recruit by Robert MuchamoreSilverFin by Charlie Higson
Books Like Alex Rider
151st out of 449 books — 265 voters
Last Stand of Dead Men by Derek LandyThe Titan's Curse by Rick RiordanThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Dying of the Light by Derek LandyThe Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
Ultimate Compilation Of Awesome Books
86th out of 115 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Lois
A year or two ago I had to come to terms with the fact that reading from the 8-12 section in bookstores was no longer entirely satisfying. Since that time there seems to have been a massive upsurge in book series which on the surface are my kind of book, but on reading are quite dull, cliched and unoriginal. I appreciate that a lot of this is because the books are not aimed at 22-year-olds, but it's frustrating for me to start a series, but be entirely unexcited when the next book is published,...more
Hayden
Expected publication September 5th? IT HAS ALREADY BEEN RELEASED.

I wasn't expecting to buy this so early, but we on out way to Oxford and there was a bookstore in the service station...

Cliffy. Cliffy. Cliffy. Cliffy. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Laura has a little brother? Awwwwww.

Well, I really liked this. And I'm glad that Otto left H.I.V.E; I think it was holding him back from adventures and stuff because of the rules and things. I just hope whatever he does next will be as adventurous...more
Alethea
I absolutely love the series, but this book went really fast. I am hungry for more!
Jitesh
This book is easily the best so far in the series. There were quite a few unexpected twists, including (view spoiler), (view spoiler) and (view spoiler).

The book gave some background information on Raven, which I found really interesting. I have always wondered how Raven became such an amazing assassin. (view spoiler)...more
Shannon
This is not usually a book I'd decide to pick up but I felt somewhat guilted into it when a free copy arrived in the mail with a note saying "Dear Shannon, Thought you might appreciate a reading copy". Gee, you shouldn't have. But by golly these book reps certainly know what they're doing, without this note, I would never have read and thus never have recommended this series EVER. It seems however that this is actually a fantastic series.

Granted I started on number 7 so I blundered my way throug...more
Matthew Brown
"Spoiler"!! All I can say is WOW! This was one of the best books I have ever read. I love the excitement and the tension that this book institutes. The book follows the events in Otto's life (Main Character) as he attends a school for super villains known as H.I.V.E, or the Higher Institute of Villainous Education. The setting takes place in Serbia while the student's known as Alpha's are on a training mission known as "The Hunt". The main struggle is between Otto and his friends, against an evi...more
Derrick
Dru
I seem to act the same way after I haven't read a H.I.V.E. book in a while: "Ugh did I like this before?" "ugh this dialogue!" And then as the books action ramps up I remember why I love it. Great action, questionable morality throughout and the dialogue that I hate so much at the start is a lightener for serious moments later in the novel.
Jodie
In this book, the Alpha stream at H.I.V.E. gets sent on an exercise called the Hunt, where they have to hide from Raven as long as possible, but a traitor reveals their location and the students are attacked by people against H.I.V.E. and the villain league, G.L.O.V.E. This book is very interesting and action-packed, I definitely recommend it.
Katrina Ly
to be honest i'd actually prefer to rate this book 4.5 than 5 but whatever! IT WAS SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the reason i wanted to rate this 4.5 rather than 5 was actually cos sometimes the book just makes me go really? really? seriously? and because sometimes it just annoys me with how the kids otto and his friends don't really talk like you'd expect them to you know? but more like 80 year old very very sophisticated speaking people. do you know what i mean?

at any rate, thats really all i c...more
PurplyCookie
Otto and the rest of the elite Alpha stream at H.I.V.E. have been sent on their most dangerous exercise yet: The Hunt. But when Otto and the rest of the Alphas arrive in the icy wastes of Siberia, it becomes clear that something is wrong. Dr Nero, the head of the school, has made some powerful enemies at the Global League of Villainous Enterprises (G.L.O.V.E.)--and the first strike against Nero will be a strike against the Alpha stream.

I wish Walden would hurry up and release the next book in th...more
Jill Cd
A 3.5 in adventure. I have only read the first book and this one in this series. I like that you can pick up the book and understand it without reading all the others in the series. Kids who like action packed adventure will enjoy.
Stephen
As the H.I.V.E. team has grown closer and stronger; they have become great characters to show that even those who are supposed to be "bad" can become truly good. This series is very enjoyable.
Stephen
Will
This is my favourite book by a milestone! Everything comes together so well and it seems to have absolutely everything in it. From wit to action, betrayal and a massive bombshell at the end! Once you have started reading it, you cannot stop.

I especially liked the background to Raven, it just added to her character really well and as anyone who has read the book will know her background is a crucial part of the story (not wanting to give too much away). I am really looking forward to the next bo...more
Katie
Epic adventure of the Alpha stream + Raven. I never saw the twists coming! Leaves you with a massive cliff-hanger.....can't wait till the next book!
Arlene Szalay
Another good book in the H.I.V.E series!
Stevie Sutton
This book is sooooo amazing! I couldnt believe who the traitor was in the end. The ending made me wonder why Raven ended up working for Nero at all.

The flashbacks confused me at first, but soon I realized the double meaning behind them. Not only did they provide background for Anastasia Furhan and where Laura, Nigel, Penny, and Tom, it left a clue to a comment made in passing for those observant enough to find it.

Mark Walden should be cursed for his inability to make an ending that doesnt leave...more
Laurel
Aftershock is yet another great addition to the H.I.V.E.series. It's a page turner but watch out for the cliffhanger. It's a big one...

Scariness Factor: None, really

Content Issues: Violence, disregard for the laws of common man, glorification of being a villain, blurring of ideas of right and wrong, children in peril

A note on my content warnings: I try to think of what might offend ANYONE about this book. This is by no means a list of what offended me. At all. I'm just trying to help everyone fi...more
Amdireth
Kudos to the plot twist. );
James
Aftershock (H.I.V.E Series Book) By Mark Waldon

I think the book Aftershock, By Mark Waldon, would fit readers who like science fiction, realistic fiction, action, and suspense. This book is really suspense full, for example, this one time, three different places get attacked at the same time. I also really like this book because you read from multiple characters perspectives, giving you a better understanding of the main plot.
Earth
this is my most favorite series. I haven't find any thing wrong with it nor any thing that i don't like about it. the story, the writing style, the word and etc are perfect. the only thing is I couldn't put the book down. i just want to keep go on with the book. I so want to know what going to happen next because it sort of ended in the middle of the whole thing still going on.
Kit Kat
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, first THIS IS THE BEST FREAKING BOOK I HAVE EVER READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was soooo full of twists and turns, and I am freaking in love with Otto!! and Laura.... oh I hate her now, but now she will become the next Raven.... Oh gods I cant bear it, and what they did to Otto! I HATE ALL OF THEM!!!
Elaine
Apr 18, 2013 Elaine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: spy fans
I can't wait for the next book! It's exciting to know what will happen next with Otto and Raven on a mission. Is Otto really expelled from H.I.V.E because of the massacre of the Alpha stream or is he given a mission of sorts by Dr. Nero? I want to know what is the connection of Dr. Nero to Madame Furan. This book is a big cliffhanger to me.
Kevin
Another great book in the series. This one gives you more history about Raven and how she became who she is. There is action and betrayal and it end on a huge cliffhanger. Now I just have to figure out when the next one will come out.
Freefallen ~ YA Reviewer
Another heart-racing installemtn in the HIVE series - once again, Mark Walden fails to disappoint. With new betrayals - closer than they seem - relationships and battles... Yup, you'd be silly to miss out on this one.
Megan Paul
Oh my god, what is this madness? I don't think I'm going to be able to wait until next year for the next book. This just isn't fair, at all.
Nathalie
Finally, some light shed on Raven's mysterious past. Come to think of it, the story's pretty much about the past haunting the present.
Rachel Simson
Read Before Joined Goodreads
(So, sorry no review as I don't have time to write one)
-NG
Hawley
There absolutely needs to be another book! It was so good! :D
  • The Secret War (Jack Blank Adventure, #2)
  • The Pirate Kings (TimeRiders, #7)
  • Jimmy Coates: Target
  • By Royal Command (Young Bond, #5)
  • The Reckoning (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #3)
  • Eagle Day (Henderson's Boys, #2)
  • The Cloak Society
  • Rise Of The Heroes (Hero.Com, #1)
  • The Lab (Agent Six of Hearts, #1)
I am the world’s laziest man.

No…really. Not just a bit slack, really, truly, breathtakingly lazy.

Which is why it’s taken me so long to get off my big, lazy rear end and get myself properly on-line.

I’m the author of the HIVE series of books which I hope that some of the people who stumble across this might have read and enjoyed. Or read and hated…

I am fortunate enough to live with the two most beau...more
More about Mark Walden...
H.I.V.E. Higher Institute of Villainous Education (H.I.V.E., #1) The Overlord Protocol (H.I.V.E., #2) Escape Velocity (H.I.V.E., #3) Dreadnought (H.I.V.E, #4) Rogue (H.I.V.E, #5)

“Bang," Otto said as he simultaneously triggered the detonators in all of the helicopter's remaining missiles.” 3 likes