Start by marking “Aftershock (H.I.V.E., #7)” as Want to Read:
Aftershock (H.I.V.E., #7)

Aftershock (H.I.V.E. #7)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  1,785 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Scheming, extorting, menacing and general evilness are nothing new in the world of villainy - indeed it's expected. But there are codes of conduct. Until now. In an attempt to purge the Global League of Villainous Enterprises of its more destructive elements, Dr Nero has underestimated the cunning and resources of those who oppose him.

Meanwhile, Otto and the rest of the Al
Published August 1st 2011 by Bloomsbury UK (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Aftershock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aftershock

Stormbreaker by Anthony HorowitzFledgling by Mark A. CooperThe Recruit by Robert MuchamoreSilverFin by Charlie HigsonSkeleton Key by Anthony Horowitz
Worlds Greatest Teen Spy Novels
71st out of 826 books — 507 voters
Fledgling by Mark A. CooperThe Recruit by Robert MuchamoreCross My Heart and Hope to Spy by Ally CarterSilverFin by Charlie HigsonRussian Roulette by Anthony Horowitz
Books Like Alex Rider
95th out of 859 books — 611 voters

More lists with this book...

A year or two ago I had to come to terms with the fact that reading from the 8-12 section in bookstores was no longer entirely satisfying. Since that time there seems to have been a massive upsurge in book series which on the surface are my kind of book, but on reading are quite dull, cliched and unoriginal. I appreciate that a lot of this is because the books are not aimed at 22-year-olds, but it's frustrating for me to start a series, but be entirely unexcited when the next book is published, ...more
Expected publication September 5th? IT HAS ALREADY BEEN RELEASED.

I wasn't expecting to buy this so early, but we on out way to Oxford and there was a bookstore in the service station...

Laura has a little brother? Awwwwww.

Well, I really liked this. And I'm glad that Otto left H.I.V.E; I think it was holding him back from adventures and stuff because of the rules and things. I just hope whatever he does next will be as adventurous
I absolutely love the series, but this book went really fast. I am hungry for more!
This book is easily the best so far in the series. There were quite a few unexpected twists, including (view spoiler), (view spoiler) and (view spoiler).

The book gave some background information on Raven, which I found really interesting. I have always wondered how Raven became such an amazing assassin. (view spoiler)
This is not usually a book I'd decide to pick up but I felt somewhat guilted into it when a free copy arrived in the mail with a note saying "Dear Shannon, Thought you might appreciate a reading copy". Gee, you shouldn't have. But by golly these book reps certainly know what they're doing, without this note, I would never have read and thus never have recommended this series EVER. It seems however that this is actually a fantastic series.

Granted I started on number 7 so I blundered my way throug
Matthew Brown
"Spoiler"!! All I can say is WOW! This was one of the best books I have ever read. I love the excitement and the tension that this book institutes. The book follows the events in Otto's life (Main Character) as he attends a school for super villains known as H.I.V.E, or the Higher Institute of Villainous Education. The setting takes place in Serbia while the student's known as Alpha's are on a training mission known as "The Hunt". The main struggle is between Otto and his friends, against an evi ...more
I seem to act the same way after I haven't read a H.I.V.E. book in a while: "Ugh did I like this before?" "ugh this dialogue!" And then as the books action ramps up I remember why I love it. Great action, questionable morality throughout and the dialogue that I hate so much at the start is a lightener for serious moments later in the novel.
In this book, the Alpha stream at H.I.V.E. gets sent on an exercise called the Hunt, where they have to hide from Raven as long as possible, but a traitor reveals their location and the students are attacked by people against H.I.V.E. and the villain league, G.L.O.V.E. This book is very interesting and action-packed, I definitely recommend it.
Katrina Ly
to be honest i'd actually prefer to rate this book 4.5 than 5 but whatever! IT WAS SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the reason i wanted to rate this 4.5 rather than 5 was actually cos sometimes the book just makes me go really? really? seriously? and because sometimes it just annoys me with how the kids otto and his friends don't really talk like you'd expect them to you know? but more like 80 year old very very sophisticated speaking people. do you know what i mean?

at any rate, thats really all i c
Evan E.
I really liked Aftershock because the story was very fast-paced and had lots of action. In my textual lineage, I thought that this book would be good because I had read the six books prior, and I had enjoyed this series up to this point, so I was correct that I would like this book. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys adventure and science fiction books.
Otto and the rest of the elite Alpha stream at H.I.V.E. have been sent on their most dangerous exercise yet: The Hunt. But when Otto and the rest of the Alphas arrive in the icy wastes of Siberia, it becomes clear that something is wrong. Dr Nero, the head of the school, has made some powerful enemies at the Global League of Villainous Enterprises (G.L.O.V.E.)--and the first strike against Nero will be a strike against the Alpha stream.

I wish Walden would hurry up and release the next book in th
Jill Cd
A 3.5 in adventure. I have only read the first book and this one in this series. I like that you can pick up the book and understand it without reading all the others in the series. Kids who like action packed adventure will enjoy.
I really liked this book and understood how everything happened (even though its the 7th book in the series and I haven't read the others!) and the plots were really good and I just massively enjoyed it.
As the H.I.V.E. team has grown closer and stronger; they have become great characters to show that even those who are supposed to be "bad" can become truly good. This series is very enjoyable.
I forgot how good these books are... it's been a while since I read book #6 of this series, but it wasn't too long before I was right in the thick of things with Otto, Shelby, Wing, Laura, and Raven. Definite cliff-hanger ending... make sure book #8 is in your possession before you read this one!

Note- there's a lot more casual swearing in this book than I remember there being in previous books.
This is my favourite book by a milestone! Everything comes together so well and it seems to have absolutely everything in it. From wit to action, betrayal and a massive bombshell at the end! Once you have started reading it, you cannot stop.

I especially liked the background to Raven, it just added to her character really well and as anyone who has read the book will know her background is a crucial part of the story (not wanting to give too much away). I am really looking forward to the next bo
Sara K.
I truly love this series. I had forgotten how much I like it. Such a fun set of books. And oooooowee this one leaves off with a killer cliffhanger. Thank goodness I have book 8 waiting for me upstairs. Now if I can only find the will power to do the actual things I need to do today and not just go read some more.
Excellent story with more surprises. Onto the 8th book in this series.
Epic adventure of the Alpha stream + Raven. I never saw the twists coming! Leaves you with a massive cliff-hanger.....can't wait till the next book!
Arlene Szalay
Another good book in the H.I.V.E series!
Stevie Sutton
This book is sooooo amazing! I couldnt believe who the traitor was in the end. The ending made me wonder why Raven ended up working for Nero at all.

The flashbacks confused me at first, but soon I realized the double meaning behind them. Not only did they provide background for Anastasia Furhan and where Laura, Nigel, Penny, and Tom, it left a clue to a comment made in passing for those observant enough to find it.

Mark Walden should be cursed for his inability to make an ending that doesnt leave
Aftershock is yet another great addition to the H.I.V.E.series. It's a page turner but watch out for the cliffhanger. It's a big one...

Scariness Factor: None, really

Content Issues: Violence, disregard for the laws of common man, glorification of being a villain, blurring of ideas of right and wrong, children in peril

A note on my content warnings: I try to think of what might offend ANYONE about this book. This is by no means a list of what offended me. At all. I'm just trying to help everyone fi
Just can't put these books down! And now I can't wait to start the next one, I need to know what happens next!
Kevin S.
Very action packed
Otto Malpense and his crew of supervillains-in-training are sill going strong after seven volumes. And I'm sure the next one will be very interesting as well…

Full review here:
Aftershock (H.I.V.E Series Book) By Mark Waldon

I think the book Aftershock, By Mark Waldon, would fit readers who like science fiction, realistic fiction, action, and suspense. This book is really suspense full, for example, this one time, three different places get attacked at the same time. I also really like this book because you read from multiple characters perspectives, giving you a better understanding of the main plot.
this is my most favorite series. I haven't find any thing wrong with it nor any thing that i don't like about it. the story, the writing style, the word and etc are perfect. the only thing is I couldn't put the book down. i just want to keep go on with the book. I so want to know what going to happen next because it sort of ended in the middle of the whole thing still going on.
Kit Kat

Okay, first THIS IS THE BEST FREAKING BOOK I HAVE EVER READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was soooo full of twists and turns, and I am freaking in love with Otto!! and Laura.... oh I hate her now, but now she will become the next Raven.... Oh gods I cant bear it, and what they did to Otto! I HATE ALL OF THEM!!!
  • Virus Attack (Hero.Com, #2)
  • The Secret War (Jack Blank Adventure, #2)
  • The Eternal War (TimeRiders, #4)
  • Monster Madness (Nightmare Academy #2)
  • Jimmy Coates: Blackout (Jimmy Coates, #7)
  • The Reckoning (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #3)
  • Eagle Day (Henderson's Boys, #2)
  • The Nameless Hero (Joshua Dread #2)
  • Battle Lines (Department 19, #3)
I am the world’s laziest man.

No…really. Not just a bit slack, really, truly, breathtakingly lazy.

Which is why it’s taken me so long to get off my big, lazy rear end and get myself properly on-line.

I’m the author of the HIVE series of books which I hope that some of the people who stumble across this might have read and enjoyed. Or read and hated…

I am fortunate enough to live with the two most beau
More about Mark Walden...

H.I.V.E. (9 books)
  • H.I.V.E. Higher Institute of Villainous Education (H.I.V.E., #1)
  • The Overlord Protocol (H.I.V.E., #2)
  • Escape Velocity (H.I.V.E., #3)
  • Dreadnought (H.I.V.E, #4)
  • Rogue (H.I.V.E, #5)
  • Zero Hour (H.I.V.E, #6)
  • Deadlock (H.I.V.E., #8)
  • Untitled (H.I.V.E., #9)
H.I.V.E. Higher Institute of Villainous Education (H.I.V.E., #1) The Overlord Protocol (H.I.V.E., #2) Escape Velocity (H.I.V.E., #3) Dreadnought (H.I.V.E, #4) Rogue (H.I.V.E, #5)

“Bang," Otto said as he simultaneously triggered the detonators in all of the helicopter's remaining missiles.” 7 likes
“That’s OK, you can act as a diversion,’ Shelby grinned. ‘The ten minutes that it takes Raven to catch you will be ten minutes she’s not searching for me. I want that twenty-four hour record and every little helps.’

‘And the selfless spirit of teamwork continues to burn brightly at H.I.V.E.,’ Otto said. ‘You know, it’s actually quite moving.’

‘Hey,’ Shelby said, ‘it’s not my fault you’re the slowest zebra.”