Start by marking “When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt” as Want to Read:
When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt

When the Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  36 reviews

I do not know or pretend to know what happens when we die. Still, I hear the ghost scream. I hear the screaming and am compelled to write the stories of those whose lives were snatched away. They are the murder victims, the ones who roam restlessly. They are the headliners of this book." --Leslie Rule

Hauntings--the word conjures up immediate and insatiable curiosity. Paran

Published August 1st 2006 by Andrews McMeel Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about When the Ghost Screams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Ghost Screams

Kate
This is written by Ann Rule's daughter...but dang, she just doesn't write very well. These are just little snipets of ghost stories, all based on real murders/deaths that she has researched...but it is really cheesy and goofy. There is even a section about her own cat and how it SEWED ITS OWN CLOTHES and speaks to her from the dead....so that should tell you everything you need to know about this book. It is quite entertaining in its total goofiness. Also, filled with lots of spooky shots of the ...more
Charles Cassady
Author Leslie Rule - ghost-story specialist daughter of author Ann Rule - joins the family business, as it were, by discussing ghost accounts linked to known murder cases. Though late in the book she kind of dilutes the intriguing premise by adding freakish accidents in there, and the Donner Party case of starving pioneer settlers eating their dead, which was ghastly human suffering but (possibly) not murder. Idea is that the grim crime is more likely to result in especially active hauntings, so ...more
I have seen other reviews that were not in favor of this book, but I must say that I have enjoyed myself quite a bit. The author has provided a book that has blended both history and the paranormal. She has taken the background of the characters and painted a brief picture for the reader, which has temporarily breathed life back into the tragic characters of her stories. I found the historical information to be fascinating and valuable. Without the history the ghostly tales would not have any me ...more
Jessica
I am fascinated by ghosts, so this book was very interesting. However, in the end, I felt a bit disappointed. I felt like the author could have done a better job. I really wanted her to expand on some of the unexplained experiences that people had.

I also would have loved more photographs, particularly of "ghosts" caught on film at the locations in the book. Most of the photos were just ones that the author took herself while investigating, which were a bit boring.

So overall, it was an interest
Laren
I don't know why I feel compelled to read all Leslie Rule's non-fiction books on ghost stories, but apparently I do. I must be a bigger Ann Rule fan than I thought. Leslie wrote really great fiction, but her ghost stories don't really stand out as any better than anyone else's, especially since she keeps making her own comments and speculations known, and they tend towards the overdramatic.
*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•*
I just can't get into this. It's not really what I was expecting it to be. I don't feel like making myself read something that I'm not enjoying when I have so many more books to read.
Lola
I am not someone who usually believes in ghost. Whenever I see Ghostbusters or anything like that, I simply roll my eyes and move on with my life. My mom, on the other hand, believes in everything supernatural. She believes in ghosts, in guardian angels, in psychics. Every couple of months she sages our house. I'm not joking, she really does burn sage throughout our house to rid it of bad spirits. My mom and I do have one thing supernatural we agree on: Ouija boards are evil. I've never played ...more
Kristy
Apr 14, 2012 Kristy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of travel, history, and paranormal
I love these kinds of books. I love the blending of travel, history, and paranormal and that’s what this book is. Leslie Rule has a talent for storytelling. This particular book is all about “True Stories of Victims Who Haunt.” These are stories about victims of murder, suicide, and accidents. Locals tell her their stories about the mysterious happenings and even some ghost sightings!

I have to say, I’ve read a lot of these kind of paranormal books over the years and thought that it might be some
Amanda Caldwell
When The Ghost Screams: True Stories of Victims Who Haunt is a book about the supernatural. It's a collection of stories about the ghosts of victims of murders and other tragedies. The author, Leslie Rule, seems to fancy herself to be some sort of psychic, medium, or otherwise sensitive person. I couldn't quite figure out what it is she claims to be. I wasn't quite a fan of her personality or at least the way it came through her writing. We will get into that later.

The book starts off beautifull
Melissa
This book could have been written better. I was hoping for more fleshed out stories but instead I only got partial skeletons. Sometimes the stories themselves were only half a page long and most stories ended with the author herself asking a silly question.

GRITS
I Ann rule, but this is not my genre...

I always like the back story...this is about the ghosts and as an advertisement for the place where they reside.

Joanne
There are a lot of interesting stories in here but they're so badly written and so touchy-feely that it completely loses all the creepiness and therefore all the fun of the stories...
Ashley Marie
A famous story or two in here and two EVP specialists make an appearance (Debby and Mark Constantino, often seen on Ghost Adventures). I like these stories.
Kathi
While the stories themselves were interesting, I found the writing to be rather flat like a news reporter would disseminate information. Just wasn't exactly what I was looking for.
Kate
I have read all of Leslie Rule's books, and she never disappoints. Leslie will take you on an adventure across the US, that will make your hair stand on end. For any lover of a good ghost story, I recommend any of Leslie's books.
Amy
i really wish the stories were a little more informative and not quite so flowery. plus some of the places she lists, you have no idea how to access them without private invitation from the homeowner so its kind of a dead end. what really bugged me was her own storytelling of pike place market and her experience with hauntings. it wasn't well connected.
Angela Hughes
I didn't like this one as much as "Coast to Coast Ghosts" or "Ghosts Among Us" but it was still a pretty good read. I may have read one too many similar books in a short period of time, and thus had become bored with the subject matter.
Stephanie
I have read other books by Leslie Rule but this one was by far the most disappointing. I feel like all she did was compile a book full of well known ghost stories. I have read about most of the ones in the book in other books.
Jackie
I was looking for a story about a "ghost party" and found one here. Though I am skeptical about ghosts, I found myself afraid to go downstairs alone at night. (Note to self: go back to books about serial killers.)
Tami
It reads more like a textbook filled with ghost stories more than anything.

I enjoyed this book very much, but some of the stories was just ridiculous. Such as the story about the author's cat.
J.A.
Written in a clear and fluid style, this is an entertaining digest of personal experiences and brushes with the dead. I enjoy "non-fiction" ghost stories, and this book was no exception.
Jessica
A pretty good read, though I wish the stories were a little longer. There were a few mentioned that didn't get more than one or two sentences, which was disappointing.
Erin
Leslie Rule is normally an amazing writer than pulls you into the true stories, but this book is a fantastic letdown when compared to her other books.
Megan Johnson
It have a lot of really good/creepy stories, some were really good, but some were kind of boaring.
Kc
It was ok, but not my favorite. Lots of neat stories, but boring writing...
TeraD
Just another book of ghost stories, but I do find them entertaining.
Tanya
Very good short story book! Very detailed descriptions of hauntings
Regina Tabor
What can I say its about ghosts written by Ann Rules daughter.
Edwina Hall Callan
Excellent book of Ghost Stories written by Ann Rule's daughter.
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
  • Seeking Spirits: The Lost Cases of The Atlantic Paranormal Society
  • House of Spirits and Whispers: The True Story of a Haunted House
  • Haunted Heartland
  • The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits
  • Haunted Ohio: Ghostly Tales from the Buckeye State (Buckeye Haunts)
  • Passing Strange: True Tales of New England Hauntings and Horrors
  • Your Neighborhood Gives Me the Creeps: True Tales of an Accidental Ghost Hunter
  • Ghosts Caught on Film: Photographs of the Paranormal
  • In the Name of Love and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #4)
Leslie Rule is the best-selling author of two suspense novels and four nonfiction books on ghosts. She has also published dozens of articles in national magazines, including a November, 2005 article on ghosts and murder in READER'S DIGEST.

Leslie grew up in a family of writers in a creaky old house on a windy cliff which overlooked Puget Sound. "My mother (author Ann Rule) made it no secret that o
More about Leslie Rule...
Coast to Coast Ghosts: True Stories of Hauntings Across America Ghosts Among Us: True Stories of Spirit Encounters Ghost in the Mirror: Real Cases of Spirit Encounters Whispers from the Grave Kill Me Again