Start by marking “The Wanderer (Shadows of Brierley, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wanderer (Shadows of Brierley, #1)

The Wanderer (Shadows of Brierley #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  460 ratings  ·  54 reviews

J amie walked away . . . He wondered why he was even trying. He felt certain there was nothing he could ever say or do to compete with a man like Hugh Montgomery, and he was fooling himself to believe that he could ever truly be a contender for Gillian Brierley’s heart.

The year is 1862, and the setting is Salt Lake City. Gillian—Ian and Wren’s eldest daughter—has grown

Published (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Wanderer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wanderer

Michelle Llewellyn
The year 2000 was a very important year: the start of a brand new millennium, the last year Americans would enjoy complete security before terrorists shattered it, and for Mormon readers, the end of Anita Stansfield's truly great "Golden Decade of the 90's" The inspiring novels she published before her writing took a turn for the worst, spiraling downhill as the 2000s marched onward.
Towers of Brierley was published in 2000. I've re-read it many times, that's how good Anita Stansfield's writing
Heather
What are the last half of Anita Stansfield books made up of? Depthless characters who live their lives according to platitudes and complete emotional health, storylines that aren't so much stories as they are a list of events, narrative that takes up 75% of the pages, leaving only 25% for actual dialogue... oh, and people dying - seriously, they're dropping like flies. Which, I'm telling you, really surprised me here - because two of the three people who died in this book - WERE THE MOST INTERES ...more
Apzmarshl
Here's the down low. It's something I have been holding back throughout the last few Stansfield books. I like them, but I am past loving them. Reading these books is like eating spaghetti. I like it. It does what I wanted it to do. It was tasty enough and I am full. It wasn't my favorite meal though. I am ready for something with bold flavor that I want to keep eating.
Dead honest here...I am a little tired of the rich man scenario. He is always there to help in every situation so his pregnant wi
Heather
Overall there is a great story that is revealed with immense compassion and love that would be nice to see more often in families. The Macbrier family is very strong and goes through many trials that bring the main character Ian to find the gospel. Through his curiosity he finds what lays ahead for him and his families’ future.

I haven't read Anita Stansfield in forever because after a while the writing style is so redundant it becomes annoying. However I felt I'd give it another try because she
Diane A Brown
Second Chances

When Ian awakes from a drunken stupor in a deserted London alley, he is thankful to be alive. “Dear God,” he says aloud. “Help me.” Ian wanders near a crowd and hears words of hope that draw him forward. Ian lingers after the crowd disperses and talks with the preachers. “Might I purchase a copy of your book?” he enquires. His purchase is made quickly and Ian stuffs the book with his other few belongings. Filled with a longing to return home, to make right the wrongs of the past, h
Wendy Woehl
I was able to hear Anita Stansfield speak once and she stated that although her books are often thought of as part of the "romance" genre, they are more about family relationships. From her books that I've read, I have to agree with that assessment. I loved the Towers of Brierley which she wrote earlier. I loved the setting and characters. This book is the beginning of a new series about the next generation of the family from that book. The characters in her books have many challenges to overcom ...more
Alicia
I enjoyed this book. It wasn't a book that I need to read over and over again, but it was a good one time read.

The story line didn't have a huge climax point and it was predictable.
Katrina
I still haven't brought myself to finish this and don't know if I will. It was definitely not Stansfield's best (which is saying something, since she's not the greatest writer anyway). I didn't feel like there was any sense of flow, that it was all kind of contrived, and my, does it drag! It's a series and I get the feeling that's the reason for the dragging--so she could spread everything out in three books. Ugh. Not impressive. I was trying to push myself through it when I started Lynn Austin' ...more
Swhe641200
1.2014. Good series enjoyedcthis series got from samboree last year from louise.
Kaelyn Grant
A good story of overcoming troubles and finding a path to something better.
Angee
Definitely not her best, in my opinion, but I still enjoyed it. As is typical in Anita Stansfield's books, there was lots of drama and trials to overcome; some of them were hard for me to read as they are very personal to my own family. It also took me a bit to realize how the whole Book of Mormon/religion thing tied in. This one had some crazy surprises though, which made it fun and exciting! It was a fairly quick read for me, and I really enjoyed it! I'm excited for the next in the series beca ...more
Jody
I read this book in less than 12 hours! I started it this morning and read throughout the day every spare second I had! I love reading conversion stories and history and about the spreading of the gospel, and I love Anita Stansfields books( I own almost all of them!) So there was NOTHING I didn't like about this book! I Love ALL things Scottland.
I loved how open and free of prejudice the main characters are during a time that status was everything!
Can't wait to get the next one and keep going!
Susan Decker
It was pleasant, and it was clean. My two favorite qualities in books.
Lisa
I don 't read a lot of period pieces but I enjoyed this one. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Melissa
This was my first Anita Stansfied book, and I didn't love it. It was slow to start and then felt a little jumbled as TONS of issues happened almost all at once. It seemed like the link to the Book of Mormon got shoved in at the end and that felt a bit awkward. I did like that her characters seemed like ordinary, moral people so they were relatable but not perfect. Overall, it was ok.
Christina
I love the book this series is a sequel to - Towers of Brierley. This one doesn't really delve into the thought-provoking topics that the author's earlier books did, but it's still enjoyable enough that I'll read the rest of the series.
Joy Spraycar
I had a hard time getting into this book. It starts out a little slow, but then picks up steam. There are places where it's gutwrenching and makes me cry, but there are so many twists and turns that it kept my interest once I got into it. That said it is a typical Stansfield book, but anything that has to do with Scotland gets a chance with me.
Lynette
I wanted to read this book because I read Towers of Brierly years ago. It started off a little slow, but definitely picked up. There was a new surprise on every other page. I'm interested enough to read the next book.

Is it just me or does it seem like the characters in her books are always perfect with only one huge flaw?
Catherine
At first I was just going to give this book two stars, but there ended up being a twist towards the end that made it more exciting. I think that Anita Stansfield books are kind of hit and miss for me. I keep reading her books, though, because I have absolutely loved some of her series. Others, though, I haven't loved so much.
Kc7nan
If you are a fan of Anita Stansfield then you will like this book. The Wanderer is the beginning of a new series that starts off with Ian being lead to the Book of Mormon. There are plenty of plot twists to keep you guessing as to what will happen next but each twist is slowly pushing Ian to his destiny.
Angela Hunter
I loved being back at Brierley again. Scotland is on my list of places to see before I die. Ian and Wren are a couple that I wanted to fight for and protect. Both Ian and Wren protect their families and their actions and choices prove their love. I look forward to book 2 in the series.
Becky
Anita is hit and miss with me, but I loved the first book that this series spins off of, so I thought I would give it a try. I actually enjoyed this book - it had enough twists and turns in the plot that it kept me interested. It wasn't quite so formulaic as many of her books.
Shelby
I really enjoyed reading this book. There were unexpected twists that kept it from feeling predictable, but not so many that it felt forced. I grew to care about the characters and their lives. I'm glad that this is part of a series so I don't have to stop reading about them!
Brenda
Book on CD. I really liked this book. It was a different story and I found I was interested in the characters and how they changed. It was also a clean read and the writing was good. I will probably listen to the next one, since I can find it on CD.
Amy
Typical A.S. book. I enjoy the story line of this series but her writing has not improved with time. She is predictable and repeats herself almost to distraction. Will keep Redfin the series to be entertained by Ian and Wren.
Jaime
This was a fun historical fiction story. I enjoyed it more than several of her more recent books. It was not as predictable as many of her stories, and I enjoyed the characters. I will definitely read the sequel.
Jodie
I thought there were too many stories in one book, but I guess it is the first in the series. I also thought the story didn't flow well. However, I am looking forward to learning more about these characters.
Tina
I didn't find much to love about this book...the main character was bland and I didn't much care what happened to him. I'll probably read the next one...but only because my mom will bring it up for me to read.
Stephanie
The first part was a bit slow, but that quickly changed. This book threw in some more twists that I wasn't expecting. I read it in about a day because it was good. I look forward to the rest of the series.
A wonderful historical romance novel. The characters have tragic experiences that help them learn and grow. I look forward to reading more about these characters in another book.
Have YOU ever "Wandered" 1 4 Jan 26, 2012 07:05PM
  • Chasing Yesterday
  • Murder by Design (Kennedy Killingsworth, #2)
  • Take Me Home (Hearts of the Children, #4)
  • At the Water's Edge
  • Faith of Our Fathers: Through the Perilous Fight (Volume Three)
  • Vengeance
  • A Forever Love
  • Escape From Zarahemla
  • Coming Home (Home Trilogy, #3)
  • Abish Mother of Faith
Anita Stansfield, the LDS market's #1 best-selling romance novelist, is an imaginative and prolific writer whose romantic stories have captivated her readers.
"With sales approaching a half million, Anita Stansfield has clearly found a niche in this market," said Nicole Martin, Publicist for Covenant Communications. "Her popularity stems from her ability to empathize with and write about the issues
More about Anita Stansfield...

Shadows of Brierley (4 books)
  • A Far Horizon (Shadows of Brierley, #2)
  • In the Valley of the Mountains (Shadows of Brierley, #4)
  • A Distant Shore (Shadows of Brierley, #3)
The Gable Faces East (Byrnehouse-Davies & Hamilton Saga, #1) First Love and Forever (Byrnehouse-Davies & Hamilton Saga, #4) First Love, Second Chances (Byrnehouse-Davies & Hamilton Saga, #5) Gables Against the Sky (Byrnehouse-Davies & Hamilton Saga, #2) Towers of Brierley