Start by marking “Pumpkin Trouble” as Want to Read:
Pumpkin Trouble

Pumpkin Trouble

Did that pumpkin just quack?
Published July 26th 2011 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pumpkin Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pumpkin Trouble

Melissa
Jan Thomas is a storytime godsend--brief stories with real narrative arcs, bold pictures, accessible humor. I think Dust Bunnies might be my all time favorite, but this is no slouch.
Elisabeth
Aug 11, 2011 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
This is no "Rhyming dust bunnies" or "What will fat cat sit on" however, it IS a Jan Thomas book.
gina
Sep 26, 2016 gina rated it liked it
Cute little book but I had to return it too quickly to the library because many of the pages were ripped and I was afraid we'd make it worse by reading it before it got repaired :(
Kristen
Nov 01, 2016 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books, halloween
This was a cute, quick read for Halloween. My daughter is 2 years old and we read this on Halloween night. We were going to bed late, so I was happy for a shorter book. My daughter loves ducks, so she enjoyed seeing the situation that Duck got himself in.

The text was all done in text bubbles from the characters. There were only a few words per page, so it would be an easy book for beginning readers as well.

The illustrations were comical and the fact that duck didn't know that the was the Pumpkin
Hamish Davidson
Dec 29, 2016 Hamish Davidson rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
The three year thought this book was hilarious. It is very visual with not a lot if text, so it's a quick, fun read.
Katie Casey
Jan 17, 2017 Katie Casey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-kids
laugh out loud awesome!
Laurie
Dec 21, 2014 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Phyllis
Mar 13, 2017 Phyllis rated it it was amazing
A great read-aloud for fall, kids will love the trouble duck gets into while carving a pumpkin!
Lidedrieanna
because am learing about halloween
Vivian
Jan 28, 2014 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I needed a story with a mouse in it for a "MICE!" story time and this came up in my library search. The 3-5 year old story time crowd responded to it very well.

I do a lot of chatting with the kids while I share stories, such as "What does duck see?" A PUMPKIN! Then I tell them that duck says "This will be great!" (phrase is in a word bubble). I ask the kids if they'd like to say what duck says. THIS WILL BE GREAT!

I turn the page and ask the kids what duck is doing. They tell me he's carving a pu
Erin Buhr
Oct 31, 2013 Erin Buhr rated it really liked it
Amusing read aloud addition to your Halloween collection. "Pumpkin Trouble" begins with Duck who decides to carve a jack-o-lantern. Unfortunately, he falls into his pumpkin and gets stuck. His friends mistake him for a Pumpkin Monster and chaotic hilarity ensues. Preschoolers will delight at the mistaken identity and confusion. We first heard this book at our library's storytime and have read it countless times since. Perfect for reading aloud with brief language and expressive characters. Put i ...more
Diane
Sep 09, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it
"I can't wait to show Pig and Mouse my Jack-o'-lantern!" says Duck, right before he falls into the pumpkin and it gets stuck on his head. "Can anyone help me?"

"Argghhhh! It's a Pumpkin Monster!!" and Pig and Mouse run. Only to be chased by Duck who thinks he's being chased by that same Pumpkin Monster.

Such a cute book. My students are big fans of Jan Thomas, whose simple stories and funny illustrations make for fun read alouds.
Sara Bland
Apr 28, 2015 Sara Bland rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
An adorable, very creatively written book by Jan Thomas. She truly writes the most delightful children's books and the illustrations are so fun. In this book, Duck gets stuck in a pumpkin and accidentally ends up chasing around his friends. He smashes into a wall and gets out of the pumpkin and his friends think that he has fought off the big monster. This is a very fun little picture book that would be appropriate for children in pre-k through 1st grade.
Olivia Bailey
Oct 23, 2011 Olivia Bailey rated it it was ok
This is a book for younger students (pre-k and k) to learn a little about Halloween. The book is about a duck carving a pumpkin but getting stuck in it. He scares his friends because they don't know that its him.

A fun book to ask students to write or draw their experience with carving pumpkins, Halloween, or anything in October.

I did not like the writing in the book, but the illustrations were cute and make up for the lack of words.
Ina
Oct 31, 2011 Ina rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
This is a bright and cheery book featuring three friends duck, mouse and Pig. Duck gets into trouble while trying to carve his Jack-O-Lantern. He goes looking for a little help from his friends with hilarious results. This is a little bit difficult as a group read aloud, because it is graphic novel-like with speech bubbles and conversation happening on multiple places on the page, but the humor and pictures and general silliness more than make up for this.
Becky
Mar 12, 2013 Becky rated it really liked it
Duck begins to carve a pumpkin and gets stuck when he falls in trying to get the last seed out. He goes for help, but Pig and Mouse think a Pumpkin Monster is trying to get them and run away. Duck is finally saved when the pumpkin breaks when Duck runs into the side of the barn.

Bold graphics, few words, and a humorous story line would make it a great read aloud in Preschool through 1st grade.
Alissa
Dec 05, 2011 Alissa rated it really liked it
Duck works hard to carve a pumpkin to show to his friends. As he is taking it to show them, he trips and falls inside. Pig and Mouse don't realize it's Duck in the pumpkin which leads to funny results. There are not many words in the book, so the colorful pictures are great to add even more to the story.
Mary
Jan Thomas writes really funny books for kids--the characters are simple, but they are wonderfully drawn and are always funny in some way. Usually, something is happening that the reader knows but the characters don't, which is the case in this book. It's short and sweet--good for very young children and for reading aloud.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Duck wants to carve a pumpkin, but gets stuck inside instead! Beware the pumpkin monster!

Another great silly seasonal read for all ages.

2016 storytime theme: Jan Thomas

Reviewed from a library copy.
Jess
Oct 14, 2014 Jess rated it really liked it
I love Jan Thomases books to close out a story time. There's lots of opportunity for shouting and encouraging the kids to shout at the book right when they are getting the most restless. I definitely recommend this one for any fall-themed story times.
Rebecca
This lacks some of the zing of her other books, but you can always count on Jan Thomas for a bright, colorful preschool readaloud. This one has physical comedy like a cartoon. Look for lots of reserves around Halloween.
A.
Dec 27, 2013 A. rated it it was amazing
My girls love this book so much. The words are simple and the illustrations are clear, so that even my almost two year old was able to "read" it to herself. Now that's a good picture book! They also thought it was very funny.
jacky
Oct 09, 2012 jacky rated it really liked it
Our story time librarian reads this author fairly often, but I don't love her work. But this one I liked. I thought the misunderstandings were funny. It is about pumpkin carving, but not too focused on Halloween.
Sondra Eklund
May 14, 2013 Sondra Eklund rated it really liked it
This will be a great choice for a Halloween storytime. Nothing scary, it's about making a jack-o-lantern. Duck plans to make one, but gets stuck inside. When he walks around looking for help, his friends think he's a pumpkin monster. Hilarity ensues. Very fun.
Tricia
Sep 21, 2011 Tricia rated it it was amazing
I love the sound of preschoolers' laughter...and I love Jan Thomas, who incites such giggles with her silly stories. In this tale, duck finds a pumpkin and wants to celebrate. Trouble ensues, of course when he falls into the pumpkin.
Elisa Pereyra-Molina
Nov 05, 2016 Elisa Pereyra-Molina rated it it was ok
Jess
Sep 21, 2016 Jess rated it really liked it
September 2016 - an immediate favorite for Ben. After reading it once together, he sat down and basically retold the story to me, including the title and several lines of dialogue, asking a few times, "what does he say?"
Sheri
Oct 24, 2013 Sheri rated it liked it
I don't think I'm used to reading the word bubble/comic-like format books. Still trying to decide if I enjoy reading them aloud to my daughter. The book is silly and simple. Maybe it's a personality thing?
Nielson
Sep 23, 2011 Nielson rated it really liked it
Darling picture book. Duck gets ready to carve his pumpkin when things go awry. Using text bubbles and bold illustrations, this is a perfect fall/Halloween read-a-loud for young readers. It is silly and humorous with just a touch of Halloweenyness.
Becca
Oct 26, 2013 Becca rated it really liked it
Good for storytime for younger kids. It had short sentences, great pictures and a funny plot. The pictures are very important to the plot, however, so some younger readers may need key moments pointed out in the book to fully understand the joke.
  • Ten Orange Pumpkins: A Counting Book
  • Plumply, Dumply Pumpkin (Classic Board Books)
  • RRRalph
  • Hello My Name Is Bob
  • A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea
  • New Socks
  • Piggies in the Pumpkin Patch
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • Apple Pie ABC
Lives in Socorro, New Mexico.
More about Jan Thomas...