Pumpkin Trouble

Pumpkin Trouble

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Did that pumpkin just quack?
Published July 26th 2011 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pumpkin Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pumpkin Trouble

Melissa
Jan Thomas is a storytime godsend--brief stories with real narrative arcs, bold pictures, accessible humor. I think Dust Bunnies might be my all time favorite, but this is no slouch.
Elisabeth
This is no "Rhyming dust bunnies" or "What will fat cat sit on" however, it IS a Jan Thomas book.
Diane
"I can't wait to show Pig and Mouse my Jack-o'-lantern!" says Duck, right before he falls into the pumpkin and it gets stuck on his head. "Can anyone help me?"

"Argghhhh! It's a Pumpkin Monster!!" and Pig and Mouse run. Only to be chased by Duck who thinks he's being chased by that same Pumpkin Monster.

Such a cute book. My students are big fans of Jan Thomas, whose simple stories and funny illustrations make for fun read alouds.
Aprilj328
Duck makes a Jack o Lantern but ends up mistaken as a Pumpkin Monster by his friends.
Humor, Halloween, Fear
Bambini Travel
Amusing read aloud addition to your Halloween collection. "Pumpkin Trouble" begins with Duck who decides to carve a jack-o-lantern. Unfortunately, he falls into his pumpkin and gets stuck. His friends mistake him for a Pumpkin Monster and chaotic hilarity ensues. Preschoolers will delight at the mistaken identity and confusion. We first heard this book at our library's storytime and have read it countless times since. Perfect for reading aloud with brief language and expressive characters. Put i...more
Joshua Piorier
A good, fun book.
Vivian
I love love love Jan Thomas's books. However, this one didn't spike to the top for me.
Ina
This is a bright and cheery book featuring three friends duck, mouse and Pig. Duck gets into trouble while trying to carve his Jack-O-Lantern. He goes looking for a little help from his friends with hilarious results. This is a little bit difficult as a group read aloud, because it is graphic novel-like with speech bubbles and conversation happening on multiple places on the page, but the humor and pictures and general silliness more than make up for this.
Olivia Bailey
This is a book for younger students (pre-k and k) to learn a little about Halloween. The book is about a duck carving a pumpkin but getting stuck in it. He scares his friends because they don't know that its him.

A fun book to ask students to write or draw their experience with carving pumpkins, Halloween, or anything in October.

I did not like the writing in the book, but the illustrations were cute and make up for the lack of words.
Becky
Duck begins to carve a pumpkin and gets stuck when he falls in trying to get the last seed out. He goes for help, but Pig and Mouse think a Pumpkin Monster is trying to get them and run away. Duck is finally saved when the pumpkin breaks when Duck runs into the side of the barn.

Bold graphics, few words, and a humorous story line would make it a great read aloud in Preschool through 1st grade.
Mary
Jan Thomas writes really funny books for kids--the characters are simple, but they are wonderfully drawn and are always funny in some way. Usually, something is happening that the reader knows but the characters don't, which is the case in this book. It's short and sweet--good for very young children and for reading aloud.
Amy
My girls love this book so much. The words are simple and the illustrations are clear, so that even my almost two year old was able to "read" it to herself. Now that's a good picture book! They also thought it was very funny.
Alissa
Duck works hard to carve a pumpkin to show to his friends. As he is taking it to show them, he trips and falls inside. Pig and Mouse don't realize it's Duck in the pumpkin which leads to funny results. There are not many words in the book, so the colorful pictures are great to add even more to the story.
Sondra Eklund
This will be a great choice for a Halloween storytime. Nothing scary, it's about making a jack-o-lantern. Duck plans to make one, but gets stuck inside. When he walks around looking for help, his friends think he's a pumpkin monster. Hilarity ensues. Very fun.
Nielson
Darling picture book. Duck gets ready to carve his pumpkin when things go awry. Using text bubbles and bold illustrations, this is a perfect fall/Halloween read-a-loud for young readers. It is silly and humorous with just a touch of Halloweenyness.
Becca
Good for storytime for younger kids. It had short sentences, great pictures and a funny plot. The pictures are very important to the plot, however, so some younger readers may need key moments pointed out in the book to fully understand the joke.
Tricia
I love the sound of preschoolers' laughter...and I love Jan Thomas, who incites such giggles with her silly stories. In this tale, duck finds a pumpkin and wants to celebrate. Trouble ensues, of course when he falls into the pumpkin.
Edna
Very fun, and funny, book about Duck who falls into a pumpkin that he's carving and accidently scares his best friends, Mouse and Pig. The illustrations are bold, bright and simple. Perfect read aloud book for toddlers!
jacky
Our story time librarian reads this author fairly often, but I don't love her work. But this one I liked. I thought the misunderstandings were funny. It is about pumpkin carving, but not too focused on Halloween.
Becky
This lacks some of the zing of her other books, but you can always count on Jan Thomas for a bright, colorful preschool readaloud. This one has physical comedy like a cartoon. Look for lots of reserves around Halloween.
Sheri
I don't think I'm used to reading the word bubble/comic-like format books. Still trying to decide if I enjoy reading them aloud to my daughter. The book is silly and simple. Maybe it's a personality thing?
Lorelie
Loved this story! Shared it with my kids at school who also loved it! Jan Thomas is amazing!
Samantha
Duck falls into the jack-o-lantern he is carving and when he crosses paths with his friends they mistake him for a pumpkin monster!

Funny and a great read aloud. LOVE this author!
Kristen
Can Jan Thomas write a bad book? I honestly don't think so. This is lots of fun and would be great in a Halloween story time, especially if using after a spooky book to lighten the mood.
Sharon
I loved this book. It has simple text, large and bright illustrations, and a fun ending. I found myself laughing out loud as I read this one. Great for preschool children.
Eve
May 29, 2012 Eve rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: mariam
For some reason, this book makes my kid laugh harder than any other book we've ever read together. Pumpkins, a duck, a cow, a pig and slapstick—simple, but it works! Five stars.
Leah
Duck gets stuck inside his jack o'lantern in this simple, slapstick-comedy-esque book for young children. Characteristic illustrations by Jan Thomas are bold and bright.
Ann
Ages 2-3, toddler appropriate book--quick, quirky and funny trio of duck, mouse and pig do it again! This time duck doesn't know he is both the hero and the monster.
Tam
My 4-year-old loves books by Jan Thomas and this one is just as cute as the others. It's a very simple book. Few words. Basic illustrations. Fun story.

Mary Ann
a silly, fun, sweet treat! nice to have a halloween book that is fun and not scary - kids will laugh and laugh with this
  • RRRalph
  • Just Say Boo!
  • Duck & Goose Find A Pumpkin
  • Pumpkin Pumpkin
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
Lives in Socorro, New Mexico.
More about Jan Thomas...
Rhyming Dust Bunnies Can You Make a Scary Face? The Doghouse Is Everyone Ready for Fun? What Will Fat Cat Sit On?